Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2012, 05:49 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Carmiel
Stats: 203/163.4/155
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: 2/12/2012
I Feel Dumb Asking This But...

I have been JUDDDing for six weeks now and have noticed something kind of strange It seems like just about every DD I have an annoying pain in both ears. It feels like pressure in my ears. There are no other symptoms, I don't have allergies or sinus problems. I went on a vacation for about a week where everyday was an UP Day and the pain went away. (It was a cruise and while I had good intentions of keeping up the program, that did not go so well ) I started back on JUDDD last Monday and the ear pain is back. I was having problems with dizziness and after doing some research added more sea salt and potassium to my diet and the dizziness seems to be under control now, could this be related? I really don't know what to think, does anyone have any thoughts? I am not one to get sick very often so this has me completely perplexed. Even if I went to see my doctor I am not sure what I would tell her, my ears hurt on down days??? I can just see the expression on her face

Sponsored Links
Old 03-30-2012, 06:07 PM   #2
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Yam-Yam
Stats: 230/191/165 @5'9"tall and 60 yrs. alive
WOE: Dukan 8/1/11 and now JUDDD
Start Date: 8/1/11 RE-start 1/1/14
Carol, I was immediately thinking potassium and/or magnesium and maybe low sodium levels as well before you even mentioned the potassium. Is your potassium supplement enough mgs? Mine is 595 miligrams. It's also important to take the kind of potassium that has the word with "ate" at the end. I think it's potassium gluconate or glucomate or something close to that spelling.

I'm going to Google ear pain and see if I can find anything else.

BRB
Yam-Yam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 06:15 PM   #3
Blabbermouth!!!

How are you doing with drinking lots of water? Here is a quote from eHow.com

There are a number of simple things that you can do to minimize the risk of ear pressure pain. ........ In general, you should stay hydrated by drinking lots of water. Staying hydrated helps prevent irritation of your nasal passages so that the Eustachian tubes in your ear can function well. Because alcohol and caffeine can dehydrate you, you should avoid them.

Read more: Ear Pressure Pain | eHow.com Ear Pressure Pain | eHow.com

Dehydration can cause all kinds of havoc, including headaches, insomnia, dizziness, etc. And, most of us don't even know we are dehydrated. Some people wait until they are thirsty to drink. By then, you already are really dehydrated.

So, are you drinking lots of water??

There are lots of articles about this. One on LiveStrong.com says it's often accompanied by dizziness and can be caused by allergies or by sinus problems.

"Weight loss isn't about winning a race; it's about crossing the finish line at your own pace." -Dianna Rodriguiz

current numbers: 1975/395
goal numbers: 1700/350 (just a reminder)

Last edited by Yam-Yam; 03-30-2012 at 06:17 PM..
Old 03-30-2012, 06:16 PM   #4
Blabbermouth!!!

Here is a link to the Livestrong article:

Causes Of Pain And Pressure In The Ears | LIVESTRONG.COM
Old 03-30-2012, 08:41 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: heyjupiter
Yam-Yam,

Are you taking multiple potassium pills or is it an Rx? I'm wondering as the maximum potassium pill size is 99mg as mandated by the government. Useless, really, as this is a whopping THREE percent of your RDA. You're better off eating a banana!
heyjupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 09:05 PM   #6
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyjupiter View Post
Yam-Yam,

Are you taking multiple potassium pills or is it an Rx? I'm wondering as the maximum potassium pill size is 99mg as mandated by the government. Useless, really, as this is a whopping THREE percent of your RDA. You're better off eating a banana!
I usually take one in the morning and one at night before I go to bed. Then also one in the middle of the night if I absolutely need to, but I don't usually. Mine are 595 mg each and it was prescribed by my doc.

don't know why my body is washing out the potassium. It could be that I drink lots of water/tea/coffee. But doc said she did not think that was it.

I'm trying to eat all the foods that are rich in potassium. I tend to have an iron deficiency as well but I don't take iron supplements. I just try to eat a lot of foods rich in iron. I only take the iron supplement if I'm planning to donate blood.

I've donated blood for 39 years on a really regular basis. Like every 8 weeks. A few months ago I fainted in the blood center right after donating. That was awful and I had a nice chat with the nurse about my potassium/ iron levels being low.

She said that after donating for years, some people wind up being deficient in very important minerals like potassium, sodium and magnesium.

She recommended I wait much longer periods donating. So, it's been more than 16 weeks and I'm planning to wait a bit longer to hopefully get all these important minerals built back up to the point where I can donate again.
Old 03-31-2012, 04:51 AM   #7
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/150/150
WOE: Whatever plan keeps me around 150 lbs!
Just as a side note, it's equally important not to have TOO much potassium. It can cause heart problems. I honestly wouldn't add a supplement like that without the advice of a doctor. There's a reason you need a prescription for higher amounts. DH is not supposed to take any supplements with potassium.
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 05:28 AM   #8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/<273/<160 (5'7")
Start Date: restart 6/12/14 @ 289.4
I just lost a long reply to this going to try to recap:

My feeling is that the pain could be caused by inflammation. The infl. could go down on DDs so you feel better on UDs; then it's aggravated on UDs but you feel it on DDs.

I started taking a silica supplement a few weeks ago to combat hair loss, and have noticed several unexpected health benefits--including better ear health! I have had recurring ear pain/pressure for about 15 years. I'm going to start a thread on it (silica) in a few minutes.

Another consideration could be blood glucose levels. Elevated bg (in diabetes, especially) can lead to lowered immune function and lingering infections. Your bg is prob higher on UDs.
New lows, 2014:
7/25....276.2
8/01....274.6
8/02....274.2
8/03....273.6
8/04....271.6

Last edited by piratejenny; 03-31-2012 at 05:34 AM..
piratejenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 08:31 AM   #9
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Carmiel
Stats: 203/163.4/155
Start Date: 2/12/2012
Yam-Yam - I have always been a big water drinker so I don't think dehydration is the problem.

PirateJenny - I am heading over to your thread on Silica. I supplemented my dogs with DE for years but never thought about adding it to my own diet.

I have made some huge changes to my diet over the past few months, going from vegetarian to carnivore, high carbs to low carbs and now adding IF to the mix. With so many changes it is really hard for me to pin point anything specific. Since it looks like this is not something common to others on DD I am leaning more towards inflammation or an on going infection now. Maybe it's just more noticable on DD's? I'll make an appointment with my doctor and have her take a look, at least that will be a start.
Carmiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 08:47 AM   #10
Blabbermouth!!!

Good idea to see your doctor, Carol. Keep us posted!

Dawn: Thanks for adding that about not taking too much. I meant to say that but forgot. Follow your doctor's instructions when it comes to supplements!