Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2012, 01:39 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: melisa82
Stats: 5'6" SW 244 CW Too Much GW 160
WOE: LC
Start Date: 3/27/12
DD Heartburn

Do any of you get heartburn/indigestion on DD? It seems like every DD, I get heartburn. I NEVER get heartburn. What gives? The coffee?
melisa82 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-30-2012, 02:02 PM   #2
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: adillenal
I am sorry that I can't help since I have not experienced this on DD's BUT I have in the past(before JUDDD) had a few isolated instances that I blamed on coffee. Especially if I had not eaten.
adillenal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 02:07 PM   #3
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
I don't get heartburn or acid either, but if you are, it could certainly be the coffee. It does affect some folks that way. Maybe switch to a *lower acid* brand, or drink fewer cups, or eat some food with it. Hmmmm... that's all I can think of.
SoHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 02:17 PM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/<273/<160 (5'7")
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: restart 6/12/14 @ 289.4
It has something to do with the smaller volume of food, I think. That is, I've heard/read on various msg boards that for some ppl eating less and/or going longer than usual between meals aggravates it. Also, drinking too much water!

After trying MANY remedies, I found betonite clay to be most helpful. Let me know if you'd like more info.
piratejenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 06:10 PM   #5
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: sophiethecat
Stats: 170+/135-138/145 5'6 39y pcos/IR/metformin
WOE: WL=LC then JUDDD/IF; Maintenance=IF/75%+ "healthy"
Start Date: LC 6/11; JUDDD 10/11; Maintenance 11/11
Here's a recent post on this, or at least a similar condition: DD nausea? This thread helped me a lot to understand my own stomach issues, and interestingly enough, they seem to have abated recently! Hope you start feeling better soon too!
sophiethecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 06:19 PM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: krow134
Stats: 207 starting weight in 2012
WOE: Atkins
Quote:
Originally Posted by melisa82 View Post
Do any of you get heartburn/indigestion on DD? It seems like every DD, I get heartburn. I NEVER get heartburn. What gives? The coffee?
I have had heartburn every day for the last 15 1/2 years!! I got it when I was preggers with my daughter and it has never left!

I take OTC heartburn pills from walmart. They are $4 for a 60 ct bottle. Cheaper and the same as a prescription.

Its usually from an empty stomache and the acid sitting there while you sleep and backing up. My doc recommends 8oz glass of milk before bed. It neutralizes the acid and helps ease it during the morning hours. It works!! Til morning, then the coffee sets it off again. I find if I pour 3/4 a cup of coffee and fill the other 1/4 with water it cuts it just enough that I can manage my heartburn. I also chew alot of SF gum to help keep acid down!

So maybe try the milk before bed and maybe a litte glass in the am, if you can have it until your tummy gets used to being empty for so long on DD's.

But also if it continues talk to your Doc. It could be signs of other things that may need a doc to look at!

1st goal 163 puts me at Overweight!
2nd goal 139 puts me at Healthy weight!
3rd goal 125 puts me at Goal!

Long term, realistic goal....no medications!
krow134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 07:40 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: theredhead
Stats: 229/152/150
WOE: Atkins/hCG/maintaining EASILY with JUDDD
Start Date: 09/04/03
It's interesting that you brought this up. Actually, I HAVE noticed a feeling of having something kind of stuck in my throat on DDs. I don't drink coffee, so that's not the cause, but perhaps the empty stomach somehow contributes. It's very mild and doesn't really bother me, but I'd noticed it.
theredhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 07:46 PM   #8
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Yam-Yam
Stats: 230/191/165 @5'9"tall and 60 yrs. alive
WOE: Dukan 8/1/11 and now JUDDD
Start Date: 8/1/11 RE-start 1/1/14
I did read somewhere that putting cream or half and half in your coffee neutralized the acid and takes away the problem if the coffee is causing/contributing to it.

I've always taken half and half in my coffee, so I drink it on an empty stomach on DDs with no problem.

Of course, I've always thought I have an iron stomach!!! nothing seems to bother me. DH can't eat onions. he gets terrible heartburn and upset stomach. I can eat an onion like I eat an apple!
Yam-Yam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 08:22 PM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: krow134
Stats: 207 starting weight in 2012
WOE: Atkins
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiebubb View Post
I have had heartburn every day for the last 15 1/2 years!! I got it when I was preggers with my daughter and it has never left!

I take OTC heartburn pills from walmart. They are $4 for a 60 ct bottle. Cheaper and the same as a prescription.

Its usually from an empty stomache and the acid sitting there while you sleep and backing up. My doc recommends 8oz glass of milk before bed. It neutralizes the acid and helps ease it during the morning hours. It works!! Til morning, then the coffee sets it off again. I find if I pour 3/4 a cup of coffee and fill the other 1/4 with water it cuts it just enough that I can manage my heartburn. I also chew alot of SF gum to help keep acid down!

So maybe try the milk before bed and maybe a litte glass in the am, if you can have it until your tummy gets used to being empty for so long on DD's.

But also if it continues talk to your Doc. It could be signs of other things that may need a doc to look at!
I wanted to add that mine is due to Estrogen Domiance (sp?). Its a side effect of it. Thats why I added in about if it continues see your doc!!!
krow134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 03:53 PM   #10
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sorenkkg
Stats: Jan 2014: 266/258.0/160
WOE: JUDDD range: 2200/500
Start Date: LC Jan 2003 restart Jan 2012- JUDDD start 04/2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by piratejenny View Post
It has something to do with the smaller volume of food, I think. That is, I've heard/read on various msg boards that for some ppl eating less and/or going longer than usual between meals aggravates it. Also, drinking too much water!

After trying MANY remedies, I found betonite clay to be most helpful. Let me know if you'd like more info.
I'd like to know more. I don't drink coffee (do we have a "crazy hyper not-sleeping smiley? b/c that's me on caffeine) so that's not it.

I do drink a lot of water on DDs (and on UDs too, but more on DDs), so that and the lower food volume, I guess that's it?

is the clay similar to the kaolin that's in Kaopectate? Please link to some info...
Meanwhile, guess I'll take a zantac or whatever...

Thanks,
Soren
sorenkkg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 04:59 PM   #11
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/<273/<160 (5'7")
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: restart 6/12/14 @ 289.4
If you search for Now Foods bentonite clay on Amazon, I wrote a detailed review & instructions. I'm typing without a keyboard so it would be easier if you could look that up; hope you don't mind!
piratejenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 05:26 PM   #12
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sorenkkg
Stats: Jan 2014: 266/258.0/160
WOE: JUDDD range: 2200/500
Start Date: LC Jan 2003 restart Jan 2012- JUDDD start 04/2012
Thanks, will do
sorenkkg is offline   Reply With Quote