Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2012, 03:52 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Avicenna
Stats: 215/190's/somewhere in the 170's
WOE: 30 day whole food challenge
Start Date: July 2011 (JUDDD in February 2012)
Increasing DD calories?

Hi,

I have a question about DD calories and I wondering if someone could help.

Has anyone had success with doing JUDDD with a higher level of DD calories?

Currently my calorie limits are 2100/500 (I don't think I've ever stayed down to 2100, but I do stay down to 500 - I guess I just eat a lot). Although this has been successful for weight loss, I'm having trouble working at night on DD's (I can do physical work, but my brain does not run at top capacity).

I was thinking it might be an easier plan to follow with a 1000 calorie limit; however, do you think that would 'cancel out' the beneficial effects of JUDDD (including weight loss)?

Thanks
Avicenna is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-30-2012, 04:54 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: gharkness
WOE: RNY Gastric Bypass 02-02-2007
I think it will definitely make a difference, but people are so individual, it's hard to know how much difference it would make to you (and that's all that really matters).

Can you, instead, put off some or most of your calories on DD's to eat them at or just before you go to work?

I do fine all day without food, but about 4:00 on DD's I've had enough (or not had enough, depending on how you figure it) and am ready to eat! But I also have a problem if I am going to bed hungry, so I save some of my calories to eat just before I go to bed.

So my point is not to do as I have done in terms of timing, but perhaps to look at it differently and see if you can adjust your eating schedule. Alternatively, if you don't think 500 calories is enough, you could increase by 100, or 200 perhaps, instead of doubling your intake. From there, you'll have to see how it works for you!
gharkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 05:08 AM   #3
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/124/126 5'3" Age 66
WOE: JUDDD/5:2
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
A lot of people start at 700 or so and work down.... worth a try if you are struggling.
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 07:29 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mttemple4
I am just starting with increasing DD calories and I'd be happy to keep you posted! For me, my past two attempts at JUDDD were just torturous in terms of the DDs. I really wanted to be one of those folks who said, "Wow, I could do this forever! It's the UDs I find hard." But alas, it was not to be. While I know some get used to it over time, my two attempts lasted about 3 down days each before I threw in the towel. Plus, when I went over the down day calories I didn't feel like I "deserved" the big up day and it was just a mess for me psychologically. I returned to low to moderate carb BUT also counting calories (I've been doing this all along) but continued to visit the JUDDD forum. I've just been so drawn to this idea!

I'm just over 200 lbs and my Lose It app gives me a budget of 1393 calories a day right now. I could hold to it a few days in a row, but I'd invariably go just a little over once in a while. The other issue I had with the low DDs was just as you said--I couldn't be completely on and focused on them. I know many also say that energy and laser focus comes on DDs for them, but that had not happened for me yet. I was having trouble doing my best at work on DDs.

So . . . this long tome is to say that I am back on a modified JUDDD program now. I'm definitely not doing it by the book so some might say it is not JUDDD, but I do believe that I can be successful on this path. My calories according to the JUDDD calculator are almost exactly like yours, but what I'm trying is 800 calories on the Down Day and 1800 on the Up Day. You can see that the two day average would be 1300 a day, putting me almost 100 under my daily Lose It goal. By focusing on keeping lower every other day, I'm making that average happen and I have NOT been able to make a 1300 daily goal happen more than a few days at a time in the past.

I've been doing this only 4 days but am down 1.4 lbs--this is very close to my weekly average eating at a level number of calories each day. So, we shall see! I say you have nothing to lose by trying. I figure even if I don't get full juddd magic, I will continue to lose and I think that swing might just be big enough to get some if not all of the magic.

Best of luck!
Old 03-30-2012, 08:11 AM   #5
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: LC..My "Don't Have To Think Because It's Simple"!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kissa View Post
A lot of people start at 700 or so and work down.... worth a try if you are struggling.
YUP and I am one of them . I knew I would NEVER be able to do a 500 or less DD (my numbers came in at 374 ) so as suggested by Pat I upped the DD right from the start and lost just fine. I never went over my UDs, though and actually always did a bit less (maybe 50 calories, but never less than that). I was the numbers that worked best for me, so I say give it a go and try to see upping your DD a bit will help.
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 08:50 AM   #6
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
I don't think there is going to be anything wrong with not doing your Down Days at 500 or fewer calories right from the start. It is a goal that is worth working toward, but it just isn't necessary to experience some weight loss.

If it's at all possible, though, I'd try to not go above about 800 calories on DDs. Do you think that would give you the pep and clarity that you find missing? If not, try the 1000, but that is getting real close to a maintenance number for you, based on our UD numbers on JUDDD being over our true maintenance. (It's the pairing of the overly large UD number working against the very low DD number that seems to stimulate our metabolisms to rev up and work better as time goes by. Many of us experience that benefit. But it's important to realize that our UD numbers are more than we need for maintenance. It's only when they are balanced by our DDs that this all works.)

I'd pretty much leave my UD number where it is, and try not to ever go too much over or under it.

And then I'd see whether JUDDD was still going to work pretty well for you at that increased DD number. I expect it will. But probably just slower. You can always drop the DD cals down if you see this doesn't work after all.

Do remember that some of the strength of this plan seems to be the big spread between the Up And Down calorie numbers. It's that huge UD number that helps stimulate our metabolism and the low DD number that gives us weight loss and repaired physical function, etc.

Good luck on JUDDD! The longer you stick with it, the easier it gets. The longer you stick with it, the better it will work for you. I'm glad you're with us here!

Last edited by SoHappy; 03-30-2012 at 08:52 AM..
SoHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 09:04 AM   #7
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Yam-Yam
Stats: 230/191/165 @5'9"tall and 60 yrs. alive
WOE: Dukan 8/1/11 and now JUDDD
Start Date: 8/1/11 RE-start 1/1/14
One thought I have is about how creative you can be in the kitchen on DDs.

Check out the DD recipes thread and ask people for ideas about what you can eat that will really fill you up on DDs without costing extra calories.

There are some DDs when I just need a lot of volume. It might be the body sending a memo that we need more nutrients.

Those are the days to creatively make up a huge pot of vegetable soup with a wide variety of nutrients in things like green peppers, spinach, cabbage, carrots, etc. chicken broth is very nutritious and if you get low sodium, fat free it's just a really good "buy" for your body.

Throw in some cooked turkey breast, chicken or ground turkey. Or have it with a nice piece of tilapia.

Upping your lean protein and fat free dairy on DDs is also a good choice.

Many who have struggled with DDs in the beginning found that as the weeks went by and the sirtuins built up in their system, the DD brain fog went away and they were able to decrease their caloric intake.

I don't see any problem with starting out in the very beginning at the 1000 level. But you would certainly want to try to go down to 900 after a week and then 800 the next and see how it works out.

You can fit a lot of healthy, filling and tasty foods in on a DD if you are willing to plan and be creative in the kitchen.

I always have hard boiled eggs on hand for a quick go-to pick-me-up on DDs.

Right now I have lots of leftover turkey in the fridge because I roasted a big turkey last week. Today I'm planning to chop some up and put it in the low calorie vegetable/broth soup. HTH

"Weight loss isn't about winning a race; it's about crossing the finish line at your own pace." -Dianna Rodriguiz

current numbers: 2000/400
goal numbers: 1700/350 (just a reminder)
Yam-Yam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 09:07 AM   #8
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Yam-Yam
Stats: 230/191/165 @5'9"tall and 60 yrs. alive
WOE: Dukan 8/1/11 and now JUDDD
Start Date: 8/1/11 RE-start 1/1/14
Forgot one more thing: Be sure and take your vitamins and minerals in the morning on DDs. You can take them with a nice glass of fat free milk and some fish oil so they will absorb quickly.

There have been studies that show people who do not get enough healthy fats in their diets have low energy and trouble concentrating because our brains need healthy fats to operate at top notch level.

Try a teaspoon full of Extra Virgin Coconut oil in a cup of hot chocolate that is ff and sf. You might like it. I think it tastes awesome. Your brain will like it. I know that for sure!!
Yam-Yam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 12:39 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Avicenna
Stats: 215/190's/somewhere in the 170's
WOE: 30 day whole food challenge
Start Date: July 2011 (JUDDD in February 2012)
Thanks for all the helpful thoughts! I guess I'll have to do some experimenting.
Avicenna is offline   Reply With Quote