Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2012, 10:41 AM   #1
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/150/150
WOE: Whatever plan keeps me around 150 lbs!
Soy . . . oh boy!

I'm trying to limit soy in my diet and it's everywhere I look! I was sipping my broth on yesterday's DD and decided to check the label. Yep, there too. The TV dinner I had last night . . . soy! I've been on a couple of my favorite restaurants' websites and soy abounds there too!

Apparently, um, I guess, just maybe . . . there's some merit to eating whole foods. I so despise cooking, but I may need to find a way to fit it into my schedule.

Anyone have any decent DD compliant convenience foods without soy?

Tina, I know you've got something for me!

JUDDD got me where I want to be!
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-29-2012, 11:15 AM   #2
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: OndoGirl
Stats: 242/195.6/135
WOE: JUDDD 1800/0-700
Start Date: ATKINS 10-2011/ JUDDD 1-2012 (SW: 217)
I am still learning what works....

How about tuna fish? Got some at the Aldis for .79c a can (100 calories per can). They also have the pouches for $1 each if you like. I added dijonnaise and relish + celery. I had this the other day and it was yummy and filling with no cooking involved.

I am a weirdo though...I also like their smoked oysters in the can 150 cals each. I made a shirataki stir-fry with this yesterday. Cabbage + soy sauce +shirataki noodles+ oysters + 1 jalapeno pepper + minced garlic + beans sprouts + mushrooms (263 cals total). I had this yesterday for dinner, I just threw it all in a saucepan and let the noodles soak up the flavors (for about 15 minutes). It was pretty good.

Last edited by OndoGirl; 03-29-2012 at 11:36 AM.. Reason: forgot an ingredient.
OndoGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 11:31 AM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mykidsteacher
Stats: 152/134/125 5'4"
WOE: Primal as of Aug 2011/JUDDD (started 1/13/12)
Start Date: Aug 2011/I've been maintaining since April 2012
I avoid soy as much as possible too. Being diagnosed with dairy and egg allergies has made that a bit tougher, however.

The past couple DD's I've been fasting for breakfast. Lunch is often the cabbage dish made with shrimp, 1/2 cup seasoned diced tomatoes, and some Italian Seasoning. I can't do cheese, but if I could, I'd add that. Supper is simply a piece of whatever protein I fix for the family (chicken breast, grass fed beef) and 1 cup of stir fry veggies. I use coconut oil or peanut oil for frying.

I have some almond milk yogurt, but it's about 150 cals, so I typically save it for UD's.

My SO Delicious Hazelnut coconut milk creamer is only 40 cals for 2TBSP and has no soy.

If I have a salad, I make my own dressing with a vegan mayo, which does contain soy, but Veganaise is at least Non-GMO (which when I have to do soy, I try to make sure it's non gmo).

I'm totally ok with eating pretty much the same thing every DD. I'm mykidsteacher on ************ if you want to friend me and look at my menus.

I'll come back if I think of anything more.
Old 03-29-2012, 11:36 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Hatewashingup
Stats: 135/114/108
WOE: Juddd/Vegetable lover!
Start Date: January 2012
Please could somebody direct me to a good link where I can read about why soy is dangerous? Is it bad for everybody or just certain people?

I am very careful about what I eat but not soy. I eat tonnes of it, especially from when I was LCing....I am vegan and drink soy milk, soy yogurt and eat tofu, tempeh, edamame, tvp, etc. on all my UDs...and miso soup on my DDs!

I had always considered it to be a good source of complete protein for me...please can someone enlighten me?
Hatewashingup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 12:19 PM   #5

Soy's an allergen for a lot of people and is also linked to thyroid problems. There's a lot of conflicting information, so I don't think everyone needs to worry about it too terribly much, but I was recently diagnosed with hypothyroidism and (too much or the wrong type of) soy can be a cause if you're already iodine deficient or predisposed. (I'm still learning, so don't quote me on this!)

Here's a link:

http://thyroid.about.com/cs/soyinfo/a/soy.htm

Last edited by KeirasMom; 03-29-2012 at 12:21 PM..
Old 03-29-2012, 12:37 PM   #6
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: OndoGirl
Stats: 242/195.6/135
WOE: JUDDD 1800/0-700
Start Date: ATKINS 10-2011/ JUDDD 1-2012 (SW: 217)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OndoGirl View Post

How about tuna fish? Got some at the Aldis for .79c a can (100 calories per can). They also have the pouches for $1 each if you like. I added dijonnaise and relish + celery. I had this the other day and it was yummy and filling with no cooking involved.

I am a weirdo though...I also like their smoked oysters in the can 150 cals each. I made a shirataki stir-fry with this yesterday. Cabbage + soy sauce +shirataki noodles+ oysters + 1 jalapeno pepper + minced garlic + beans sprouts + mushrooms (263 cals total). I had this yesterday for dinner, I just threw it all in a saucepan and let the noodles soak up the flavors (for about 15 minutes). It was pretty good.
Sheesh....you are trying to avoid soy and I suggest soy sauce just ignore me, LOL!
OndoGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 01:33 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: KathyL
Stats: 205/118-122/125 5'4" Age 53
WOE: low glycemic index in 2011 JUDDD in 2012
Start Date: January 2011
I have always avoided soy....unless it is fermented (as in soy sauce). Years ago when I researched it that's what I came to understand. But now more than that it's because almost all our soy is GMO. As well as corn. :/
KathyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 01:47 PM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: DD80
Stats: 188/165.0/145 5'10"
WOE: Organic GrassFed Gluten-Free 5/13 Dairy Free 2/14
Start Date: 1/10/12 Medi, 2/9/12 First UD, 1/1/13 New Plan
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeirasMom View Post
I'm trying to limit soy in my diet and it's everywhere I look! I was sipping my broth on yesterday's DD and decided to check the label. Yep, there too. The TV dinner I had last night . . . soy! I've been on a couple of my favorite restaurants' websites and soy abounds there too!

Apparently, um, I guess, just maybe . . . there's some merit to eating whole foods. I so despise cooking, but I may need to find a way to fit it into my schedule.

You can't avoid it!!! I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but it's in just about everything...

That being said, try to avoid the major sources and I think you will be fine. Stick to meats, veggies, fruit, bread, etc. Don't be so paranoid...you'll drive yourself nuts!

There are also some veggies that people with thyroid problems should avoid, but we can't all be perfect! Again, I try to stay away, but sometimes, I just want some broccoli. Plus, I like spinach, so I haven't given that up.

For the person that asked about soy being bad (sorry, I don't know how to quote 2 people in the same thread)...

Soy also is a phytoestrogen. You'll have to google and do your own research about it and come to your own conclusion. I also try to avoid soy based on what I've researched and my own beliefs.

Last edited by DD80; 03-29-2012 at 01:48 PM..
DD80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 01:57 PM   #9

Thanks! I've been looking at the veggies too, and they're pretty much all the ones I really like. Seems like they're not so bad if they are cooked. Cabbage, broccoli, spinach, etc. Grrr.
Old 03-29-2012, 02:55 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: OhioGuy
Stats: 6'2'' 370 atkins to 355 then JUDDD
WOE: Good bye LC, Hello Juddd
Start Date: 3/5/2012 atkins intro JUDDD 3/29/12
soy, the new hfcs? lol
not good for guys either. makes the body produce estrogen
the only thing i look for is soy and hfcs
OhioGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 03:06 PM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: b_lou_who
Stats: 2014 was195/now186.9 5'7" 44
WOE: whole organic low-sugars IF vegan
Start Date: 1997
It does make you skip processed food when you wipe soy and all gmo Out of your diet
b_lou_who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 03:20 PM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Hatewashingup
Stats: 135/114/108
WOE: Juddd/Vegetable lover!
Start Date: January 2012
Quote:
Soy's an allergen for a lot of people and is also linked to thyroid problems. There's a lot of conflicting information, so I don't think everyone needs to worry about it too terribly much, but I was recently diagnosed with hypothyroidism and (too much or the wrong type of) soy can be a cause if you're already iodine deficient or predisposed. (I'm still learning, so don't quote me on this!)

Here's a link:

Soy and the Thyroid: A Look at the Controversy Over Soy and Thyroid Health
Thanks, hopefully it's not something i will have to worry about as I love my soy. I have been tested for thyroid problems in the past and no issues raised, but I will look at your link as a few people in my family do have hypothyroidism...
Hatewashingup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 04:24 PM   #13
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/<273/<160 (5'7")
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: restart 6/12/14 @ 289.4
CANNED TUNA OFTEN HAS SOY!!!
In the guise of "vegetable broth" or something. :/

Quote:

piratejenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 04:30 PM   #14

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
Quote:

I know. It's in so very much that is manufactured food.

I try to avoid it for the most part. I am hypothyroid, and supposedly soy isn't very good for us.

I pretty much cook most stuff at home from scratch. It really doesn't take very much more time than opening boxes, and I have better control of the ingredients.
SoHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 04:52 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by piratejenny View Post
CANNED TUNA OFTEN HAS SOY!!!
In the guise of "vegetable broth" or something. :/
Well that sucks. My go-to DD lunch has been sliced cucumber with canned tuna on top. I was already concerned about the mercury, now I have to worry about the soy! I swear it's getting to the point where if you don't grow it yourself, it's not what it appears!
Old 03-29-2012, 04:56 PM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: DD80
Stats: 188/165.0/145 5'10"
WOE: Organic GrassFed Gluten-Free 5/13 Dairy Free 2/14
Start Date: 1/10/12 Medi, 2/9/12 First UD, 1/1/13 New Plan
Quote:
Well that sucks. My go-to DD lunch has been sliced cucumber with canned tuna on top. I was already concerned about the mercury, now I have to worry about the soy! I swear it's getting to the point where if you don't grow it yourself, it's not what it appears!
VERY TRUE!
DD80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 05:20 PM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: krow134
Stats: 207 starting weight in 2012
WOE: Atkins
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatewashingup View Post
Please could somebody direct me to a good link where I can read about why soy is dangerous? Is it bad for everybody or just certain people?

I am very careful about what I eat but not soy. I eat tonnes of it, especially from when I was LCing....I am vegan and drink soy milk, soy yogurt and eat tofu, tempeh, edamame, tvp, etc. on all my UDs...and miso soup on my DDs!

I had always considered it to be a good source of complete protein for me...please can someone enlighten me?
Being Vegan and Eating Soy: Myths, Truths, and Everything in Between
krow134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 08:33 PM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: heyjupiter
Quote:

Beware canned/pouch tuna in "water"!!

Most have soy in the vegetable broth. Yes, it SAYS water packed, but it's actually in broth.

A few brands don't have soy, but I can't remember which off the top of my head. Trader Joe's Tonno is a fav of mine, bug I've heard Tonno is higher in mercury.
heyjupiter is offline   Reply With Quote