Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   JUDDD (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/)
-   -   Soy . . . oh boy! (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/765395-soy-oh-boy.html)

KeirasMom 03-29-2012 09:41 AM

Soy . . . oh boy!

I'm trying to limit soy in my diet and it's everywhere I look! :stars: I was sipping my broth on yesterday's DD and decided to check the label. Yep, there too. The TV dinner I had last night . . . soy! I've been on a couple of my favorite restaurants' websites and soy abounds there too!

Apparently, um, I guess, just maybe . . . there's some merit to eating whole foods. I so despise cooking, but I may need to find a way to fit it into my schedule. :mad:

Anyone have any decent DD compliant convenience foods without soy?

Tina, I know you've got something for me! :hyst:

OndoGirl 03-29-2012 10:15 AM

I am still learning what works....

How about tuna fish? Got some at the Aldis for .79c a can (100 calories per can). They also have the pouches for $1 each if you like. I added dijonnaise and relish + celery. I had this the other day and it was yummy and filling with no cooking involved.

I am a weirdo though...I also like their smoked oysters in the can 150 cals each. I made a shirataki stir-fry with this yesterday. Cabbage + soy sauce +shirataki noodles+ oysters + 1 jalapeno pepper + minced garlic + beans sprouts + mushrooms (263 cals total). I had this yesterday for dinner, I just threw it all in a saucepan and let the noodles soak up the flavors (for about 15 minutes). It was pretty good.

mykidsteacher 03-29-2012 10:31 AM

I avoid soy as much as possible too. Being diagnosed with dairy and egg allergies has made that a bit tougher, however.

The past couple DD's I've been fasting for breakfast. Lunch is often the cabbage dish made with shrimp, 1/2 cup seasoned diced tomatoes, and some Italian Seasoning. I can't do cheese, but if I could, I'd add that. Supper is simply a piece of whatever protein I fix for the family (chicken breast, grass fed beef) and 1 cup of stir fry veggies. I use coconut oil or peanut oil for frying.

I have some almond milk yogurt, but it's about 150 cals, so I typically save it for UD's.

My SO Delicious Hazelnut coconut milk creamer is only 40 cals for 2TBSP and has no soy.

If I have a salad, I make my own dressing with a vegan mayo, which does contain soy, but Veganaise is at least Non-GMO (which when I have to do soy, I try to make sure it's non gmo).

I'm totally ok with eating pretty much the same thing every DD. I'm mykidsteacher on ************ if you want to friend me and look at my menus.

I'll come back if I think of anything more.

Hatewashingup 03-29-2012 10:36 AM

Please could somebody direct me to a good link where I can read about why soy is dangerous? Is it bad for everybody or just certain people?

I am very careful about what I eat but not soy. I eat tonnes of it, especially from when I was LCing....I am vegan and drink soy milk, soy yogurt and eat tofu, tempeh, edamame, tvp, etc. on all my UDs...and miso soup on my DDs!

I had always considered it to be a good source of complete protein for me...please can someone enlighten me?

KeirasMom 03-29-2012 11:19 AM

Soy's an allergen for a lot of people and is also linked to thyroid problems. There's a lot of conflicting information, so I don't think everyone needs to worry about it too terribly much, but I was recently diagnosed with hypothyroidism and (too much or the wrong type of) soy can be a cause if you're already iodine deficient or predisposed. (I'm still learning, so don't quote me on this!)

Here's a link:

http://thyroid.about.com/cs/soyinfo/a/soy.htm

OndoGirl 03-29-2012 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OndoGirl (Post 15537956)

How about tuna fish? Got some at the Aldis for .79c a can (100 calories per can). They also have the pouches for $1 each if you like. I added dijonnaise and relish + celery. I had this the other day and it was yummy and filling with no cooking involved.

I am a weirdo though...I also like their smoked oysters in the can 150 cals each. I made a shirataki stir-fry with this yesterday. Cabbage + soy sauce +shirataki noodles+ oysters + 1 jalapeno pepper + minced garlic + beans sprouts + mushrooms (263 cals total). I had this yesterday for dinner, I just threw it all in a saucepan and let the noodles soak up the flavors (for about 15 minutes). It was pretty good.

Sheesh....you are trying to avoid soy and I suggest soy sauce:sad: just ignore me, LOL!

KathyL 03-29-2012 12:33 PM

I have always avoided soy....unless it is fermented (as in soy sauce). Years ago when I researched it that's what I came to understand. But now more than that it's because almost all our soy is GMO. As well as corn. :/

DD80 03-29-2012 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KeirasMom (Post 15537819)
I'm trying to limit soy in my diet and it's everywhere I look! :stars: I was sipping my broth on yesterday's DD and decided to check the label. Yep, there too. The TV dinner I had last night . . . soy! I've been on a couple of my favorite restaurants' websites and soy abounds there too!

Apparently, um, I guess, just maybe . . . there's some merit to eating whole foods. I so despise cooking, but I may need to find a way to fit it into my schedule. :mad:

You can't avoid it!!! :sad: I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but it's in just about everything...

That being said, try to avoid the major sources and I think you will be fine. Stick to meats, veggies, fruit, bread, etc. Don't be so paranoid...you'll drive yourself nuts! :stars:

There are also some veggies that people with thyroid problems should avoid, but we can't all be perfect! Again, I try to stay away, but sometimes, I just want some broccoli. Plus, I like spinach, so I haven't given that up.

For the person that asked about soy being bad (sorry, I don't know how to quote 2 people in the same thread)...

Soy also is a phytoestrogen. You'll have to google and do your own research about it and come to your own conclusion. I also try to avoid soy based on what I've researched and my own beliefs.

KeirasMom 03-29-2012 12:57 PM

Thanks! I've been looking at the veggies too, and they're pretty much all the ones I really like. Seems like they're not so bad if they are cooked. Cabbage, broccoli, spinach, etc. Grrr.

OhioGuy 03-29-2012 01:55 PM

soy, the new hfcs? lol
not good for guys either. makes the body produce estrogen
the only thing i look for is soy and hfcs

b_lou_who 03-29-2012 02:06 PM

It does make you skip processed food when you wipe soy and all gmo Out of your diet

Hatewashingup 03-29-2012 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KeirasMom (Post 15538213)
Soy's an allergen for a lot of people and is also linked to thyroid problems. There's a lot of conflicting information, so I don't think everyone needs to worry about it too terribly much, but I was recently diagnosed with hypothyroidism and (too much or the wrong type of) soy can be a cause if you're already iodine deficient or predisposed. (I'm still learning, so don't quote me on this!)

Here's a link:

Soy and the Thyroid: A Look at the Controversy Over Soy and Thyroid Health

Thanks, hopefully it's not something i will have to worry about as I love my soy. I have been tested for thyroid problems in the past and no issues raised, but I will look at your link as a few people in my family do have hypothyroidism...

piratejenny 03-29-2012 03:24 PM

CANNED TUNA OFTEN HAS SOY!!!
In the guise of "vegetable broth" or something. :/

Quote:

SoHappy 03-29-2012 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KeirasMom (Post 15537819)

I know. It's in so very much that is manufactured food.

I try to avoid it for the most part. I am hypothyroid, and supposedly soy isn't very good for us.

I pretty much cook most stuff at home from scratch. It really doesn't take very much more time than opening boxes, and I have better control of the ingredients.

KeirasMom 03-29-2012 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by piratejenny (Post 15538917)
CANNED TUNA OFTEN HAS SOY!!!
In the guise of "vegetable broth" or something. :/

Well that sucks. My go-to DD lunch has been sliced cucumber with canned tuna on top. :annoyed: I was already concerned about the mercury, now I have to worry about the soy! I swear it's getting to the point where if you don't grow it yourself, it's not what it appears!

DD80 03-29-2012 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KeirasMom (Post 15538989)
Well that sucks. My go-to DD lunch has been sliced cucumber with canned tuna on top. :annoyed: I was already concerned about the mercury, now I have to worry about the soy! I swear it's getting to the point where if you don't grow it yourself, it's not what it appears!

VERY TRUE! :stars:

krow134 03-29-2012 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hatewashingup (Post 15538037)
Please could somebody direct me to a good link where I can read about why soy is dangerous? Is it bad for everybody or just certain people?

I am very careful about what I eat but not soy. I eat tonnes of it, especially from when I was LCing....I am vegan and drink soy milk, soy yogurt and eat tofu, tempeh, edamame, tvp, etc. on all my UDs...and miso soup on my DDs!

I had always considered it to be a good source of complete protein for me...please can someone enlighten me?

Being Vegan and Eating Soy: Myths, Truths, and Everything in Between

heyjupiter 03-29-2012 07:33 PM

Quote:

Beware canned/pouch tuna in "water"!!

Most have soy in the vegetable broth. Yes, it SAYS water packed, but it's actually in broth.

A few brands don't have soy, but I can't remember which off the top of my head. Trader Joe's Tonno is a fav of mine, bug I've heard Tonno is higher in mercury.