Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2012, 05:14 PM   #31
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: OhioGuy
Stats: 6'2'' 370 atkins to 355 then JUDDD
WOE: Good bye LC, Hello Juddd
Start Date: 3/5/2012 atkins intro JUDDD 3/29/12
lol im sure i have low potassium.
i always get this way when i low carb. but i went from a low eat low carb day while exersisng then i did a zero calorie dd with exersising....putting myself even more behind
had an ud yesterday zero today so im hoping tomorrow ill be ok. i bought bananas for breakfast and have been taking a good vitamin.
i use to ake potassium years ago. currenly i take a magn with the vitamin. should be ok on calcium. ill load up tomorrow, i promse!!

ohhh i often am poking out msgs with one finger so excuse my typos!! lol
OhioGuy is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-30-2012, 05:37 PM   #32
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Yam-Yam
Stats: 230/191/165 @5'9"tall and 60 yrs. alive
WOE: Dukan 8/1/11 and now JUDDD
Start Date: 8/1/11 RE-start 1/1/14
Well....ok, if you promise. But I'd rather you run out and get a bottle right now. How close is the nearest pharmacy?? You won't believe how fast the cramping goes away. I take 595 mg tablets. I'll take one with water when my legs are cramping so bad I want to cry and seriously, in less than 2 minutes the cramps are gone. Sometimes I forget to take it BEFORE the cramps start. I do try to remember. But every single day, if I forget to take it the cramps in my legs and sometimes in my arms remind me.

I'm very serious about how gravely important it is though. My doc lectured me and said I could die from potassium levels so low.

Get thee to a pharmacy!!!

"Weight loss isn't about winning a race; it's about crossing the finish line at your own pace." -Dianna Rodriguiz

current numbers: 2000/400
goal numbers: 1700/350 (just a reminder)
Yam-Yam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 05:43 PM   #33
Senior LCF Member

i just broke my fast after 26 hours and ate a darn banana lol
100 calories! haha
cant blieve im talking calories!!
Old 03-30-2012, 05:46 PM   #34
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: sophiethecat
Stats: 170+/135-138/145 5'6 39y pcos/IR/metformin
WOE: WL=LC then JUDDD/IF; Maintenance=IF/75%+ "healthy"
Start Date: LC 6/11; JUDDD 10/11; Maintenance 11/11
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioGuy View Post
100 calories! haha
I agree with Yam, don't disregard how important correct K levels are. I have dealt with low K as well, and it's a serious thing.

Now, don't worry about the banana, lol. You need the K. And you are allowed calories on DDs. In fact, it's very easy to count DD calories since we don't get that many (relatively speaking). You're doing fine. But perhaps have a little fat and/or protein to help balance things out if you find yourself hungry later. KUTGW, Jamie.
sophiethecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 05:47 PM   #35
Senior LCF Member

thanks!
Old 03-30-2012, 06:02 PM   #36
Blabbermouth!!!

I agree with Sophie on all counts!! That banana is a good investment. If you put paprika on it it would be even better. Google "top ten foods for potassium" and you will find paprika is right up there. I put it in everything now, except my coffee.

Yea, talking calories is kinda like "it's Greek to me". Like another language after doing LC for so long! It gets kinda fun though. Like a game.
Old 03-30-2012, 07:14 PM   #37
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Sheridan
WOE: JUDDD
Quote:
100 calories! haha
I know!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sophiethecat View Post
I agree with Yam, don't disregard how important correct K levels are. I have dealt with low K as well, and it's a serious thing.

Now, don't worry about the banana, lol. You need the K. And you are allowed calories on DDs. In fact, it's very easy to count DD calories since we don't get that many (relatively speaking). You're doing fine. But perhaps have a little fat and/or protein to help balance things out if you find yourself hungry later. KUTGW, Jamie.
Seriously, please listen to the previous words of wisdom regarding potassium! Not only can low levels be very dangerous, having enough prevents not only cramps, but it helps with that 'washed-out' feeling people often get when following a diet of any kind. I make sure and take a potassium supplement if I know I'm going to be working up a sweat in my backyard because if I don't, I'll really regret it.

You're going to rock this!
Sheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 07:28 PM   #38
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheridan View Post
I know!

Seriously, please listen to the previous words of wisdom regarding potassium! Not only can low levels be very dangerous, having enough prevents not only cramps, but it helps with that 'washed-out' feeling people often get when following a diet of any kind. I make sure and take a potassium supplement if I know I'm going to be working up a sweat in my backyard because if I don't, I'll really regret it.

You're going to rock this!
Old 03-30-2012, 07:30 PM   #39
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: krow134
Stats: 207 starting weight in 2012
WOE: Atkins
Something else reguarding potassium.

My daughter is a softball catcher. She also plays on a travel team and some weekends can play up to 10 games in 90 degree weather! Tons of sweat and what nots. Her peds doc recommended for helping making sure she doesnt lose to much through sweat or urine from drinking so much. To add a pinch of salt to her first glass of water a day. Also propel is another great way to help avoiding low potassium. Its a very very low calorie sports drink but peds doc said best for her, better than gatorade and those kind of drinks. This was all recommended cause banana's in the heat make her sick, and doc said this was another way of keeping potassium in her system.

1st goal 163 puts me at Overweight!
2nd goal 139 puts me at Healthy weight!
3rd goal 125 puts me at Goal!

Long term, realistic goal....no medications!
krow134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 11:08 PM   #40
Senior LCF Member

well i ended up washing down the naner with a slimfast shake which has a bunch of goodies in it. after that i was good. funny i use to take the stuff and someone told me how dangerous it was to take it cuz to much could stop the heart!

DD 2, 280 calories total :/
ud saturday!
Old 03-30-2012, 11:31 PM   #41
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Sheridan
You did GREAT!

Enjoy your UD tomorrow!
Sheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 05:03 AM   #42
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/151/135??, 5'9", 41 y.o., Hypothyroid
WOE: Back to JUDDD!
Quote:
well i ended up washing down the naner with a slimfast shake which has a bunch of goodies in it. after that i was good. funny i use to take the stuff and someone told me how dangerous it was to take it cuz to much could stop the heart!

DD 2, 280 calories total :/
ud saturday!
Jamie, you are absolutely correct about the potassium. It's vitally important to have the correct levels. Too low is bad, but too high is equally bad and can, in fact, stop the heart. Obviously a banana is a good source of healthy potassium, but I wouldn't run out and start popping supplements without your doctor's advice. Just MHO!
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 06:30 AM   #43
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: adillenal
When I was LC'ing I always had to take a potassium supplement or I had terrible leg cramps. After being on JUDDD for a month that went away. By the way, kiwis are also a good source of potassium. But I am getting enough in my regular "balanced" diet that I now eat.
Please do be careful with the potassium levels. At one time I was put on diuretics that also came with a K pill since taking the water loss product would deplete your K. I forgot to take the K for a couple or three days and I thought I was having a heart attack until it dawned on me to take the K. Never took those diuretics again after that either. But I did learn the importance of potassium in the body through that experience.
181.0/168.0/145 07/25/11 The Rice Diet
181.4/179.0/145 Atkins 72 10/31/11
180/153/139 JUDDD 07/28/14
adillenal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 08:56 AM   #44
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: theredhead
Stats: 229/147/145
WOE: Atkins/hCG/maintaining EASILY with JUDDD
Start Date: 09/04/03
Jamie, I've been lurking on this thread and I'm excited to see you've gotten started with us. Regarding the potassium issue, I just wanted to add this great article from Dana Carpender about potassium. My favorite part is where she tells us that Pork is an outstanding source of potassium. Who would've guessed?

Bananas must have a killer press agent. Over and over folks ask, “But if I can’t have bananas on my low carb diet, where will I get potassium?” It is true that bananas are a pretty good source of potassium; one medium banana has 422 milligrams, or about 12% of the RDA of 3.5 grams. However, that banana also has 27 grams of carbohydrate, with only 3 grams of fiber, for a usable carb count of 24 grams, more than the 20 gram upper limit for those of you who are in the induction phase of the Atkins diet. Clearly we can’t count on bananas for our potassium! But where will we get it?

It’s easier than you think.

There is a surprising quantity of potassium in the animal protein foods that are the backbone of our diet. A four ounce serving of pork loin provides 411 milligrams of potassium, and a quarter-pound hamburger patty provides 234 milligrams. Six ounces of sole fillet provide 584 milligrams of potassium, and four ounces of scallops provide 524 milligrams. Four ounces of chicken breast provide 282 milligrams of potassium, and four ounces of turkey breast provide 317 milligrams. All of these potassium-rich foods are carb-free, of course.

So already things are looking pretty good for us where potassium is concerned. But it’s when you get to the rest of our diet that things really start looking up! After all, we’re the ones saying things like,“Instead of the rice, could you bring me some steamed vegetables?” and “Do you mind putting those gyros on a bed of lettuce, instead of in a pita bread?” This is a terrific way to get plenty of potassium. A half-cup serving of white rice has a mere 32 milligrams of potassium, while a half-cup of broccoli has 166 milligrams – and the switch will save you 20 grams of usable carbohydrate, too, not to mention 75 calories. That pita bread has just 72 milligrams of potassium, with 32 grams of usable carbohydrate – no bargain. Have your gyros on a bed of 3 cups of romaine, instead, and you’ll get 415 milligrams of potassium, and just 2 grams of usable carb!

But the true, undying low carb potassium champion is the avocado. All avocados are great, but if you can, buy the little, rough-skinned California avocados; they’re a tad lower carb than the big, smooth- skinned Florida variety. One California avocado contains 15 grams of carbohydrate, but 12 grams of that is fiber, for a usable carb count of just 3 grams! And for those three grams, you’ll get a whopping 877 milligrams of potassium. Avocados are also a great source of monounsaturated fats, the same heart-healthy fats found in olive oil – a real nutritional bargain, all the way around.

So eat avocados, early and often! You can put chunks of avocado in your tossed salad, of course, but try a simpler approach: sliced avocado on a bed of lettuce, sprinkled with lime juice, salt and pepper, or a simple vinaigrette dressing.

Guacamole is a favorite, and it’s hard to beat, but without chips, how are you going to eat it? Try spreading it over a grilled steak; it’s to die for. Guacamole is also a terrific omelet filling, especially with some Monterey Jack cheese melted with it. My favorite thing to do with guacomole, though, is to stuff it into tomatoes, and serve them as a salad. A medium tomato will add about 4 grams of usable carb, and another 273 milligrams of potassium.
Click here for our fatties pics!
And another old one

Click here for a new picture.
And another newer one
theredhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 09:17 AM   #45
Blabbermouth!!!

Laurie! Thanks for that post!!! I have one of those CA avocados just sitting on my counter waiting for me!! I'm going to go make an omelet with some canned artichoke hearts, mushrooms and avocados! I didn't know they had so much potassium!! Yay!

Dawn: Thanks again for the warning that taking too much can be bad for you. I knew that! Just forgot to say it. And, as always, follow your doctor's advice.

My low potassium is most likely due to years and years of donating blood on a regular basis. Had a chat w/ the nurse at the blood center after I fainted a few months ago. that was horrible! She is the one who told me about regular donors getting depleted of important minerals and the solution is to wait longer between donations.

So, Jamie, how goes it this fine UD for you??
Old 03-31-2012, 05:45 PM   #46
Senior LCF Member

well if beef and chicken have that much i should i should be ODing on potassium!! lol
how come us chicken and beef eater get cramps while low carbing?
i take suppliments
cant be cacium or magnesium
had no idear meat had that much

i could believe how much tat banana and shake filled me up.
today was somehing i hadnt had in over a month.. pizza!!
lol
still doubt i hit my calories 4500 is ridiculous. id have two eat a large piazza for dinner!
i went yet again to th store to rerefill the kitchen with some carb food.
i never thought id ever in my life look at low fat stuff lol
low fat french!
Old 04-01-2012, 04:13 PM   #47
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: gotitnow
Jamie...I know you're a guy and everything....and guys don't like drama...BUT...Don't ya just LOVE how caring and helpful your BUDDS are??

AND...there will be no going off the deep end.....nope ....we won't allow it!!! No way.....no how!!

YOU WILL BE SUCCESSFUL....That's an order!

Phyl
gotitnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 09:30 AM   #48
Senior LCF Member

lol thanks.
DD 3 was yesterday. clocking in at 180 calories.
i wanted to do zero calories but im sticking with a low carb shake after exercise.
put some vitamins and electrolites back in me.

im finding im a lot more tired come night time.
and kind of tired through out the day but not BAD at all.
i also think there is a bit of a light headedness (for lack of better words)
the first time i eat on a UD. im assuming this is just some sort of sugar rush lol
nothing to unusual or bad at all.
1) i cant believe how a low carb shake is able to put my hunger completely at bay for the night - i drink it later, like 8 or 9.
2) how im NOT hungry when i wake up on my UDs and almost have to force myself to eat.

UP DAY!
Old 04-02-2012, 11:33 AM   #49
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mykidsteacher
Stats: 152/134/125 5'4"
WOE: Primal as of Aug 2011/JUDDD (started 1/13/12)
Start Date: Aug 2011/I've been maintaining since April 2012
Sounds like you are totally rocking this! WTG on those super low dd's. The hunger suppression sounds like it's already kicking in for you, which is GREAT on DD's, and a bit of a pain on UD's. LOL

KUTGW!
mykidsteacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 11:27 AM   #50
Senior LCF Member

has anyone ever suffered from EXTREME stomach gas/bloating??
a couple times in my life have i felt like i was a balloon but after an hour or so of the symptoms it goes away.
LAST NIGHT however, something horrible.
I had dinner around 7pm and couldnt go to sleep until 6am!!
I literally thought i was going to burst. just felt like i was full of air.
it was an UD and didnt eat a whole lot of food.
i had chicken, potato, mac and cheese, and then a SMALL piece of lemon cake i never had before. i didnt pack it in either, but wow!! it just got worse and worse and worse all night. finally passed out at 6am.
ive never had this happen before. thought i was going to blow guts up all over the place
Old 04-12-2012, 11:39 AM   #51
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
has anyone ever suffered from EXTREME stomach gas/bloating??
a couple times in my life have i felt like i was a balloon but after an hour or so of the symptoms it goes away.
LAST NIGHT however, something horrible.
I had dinner around 7pm and couldnt go to sleep until 6am!!
I literally thought i was going to burst. just felt like i was full of air.
it was an UD and didnt eat a whole lot of food.
i had chicken, potato, mac and cheese, and then a SMALL piece of lemon cake i never had before. i didnt pack it in either, but wow!! it just got worse and worse and worse all night. finally passed out at 6am.
ive never had this happen before. thought i was going to blow guts up all over the place
Oh, Ouch. So sorry you had such a bad night. Sounds yucky.

Couple of questions: Obvious first. Are you sure you didn't pick up some kind of virus bug somewhere? Is food poisoning even a remote possibility?

Next: Yesterday was UD. What did you eat during the day? Nothing or very little?? Sometimes if you continue the DD fast and go all through the day on your UD without food or very little food, then eat a heavy, carby, starchy and/or fatty meal late in the day and all at once, it hits the intestines pretty hard.

What broke your fast yesterday?? I've heard you should never break your fast with alcohol. Messes with blood sugar and blood pressure and digestion.

It's better to start your break-the-fast meal, whether it's earlier or a bit later in the day, with some raw veggies and lean protein. And, listen to your body as you eat. Don't just gobble everything up too quickly because it's an UD. (BT!DT! ) As you are enjoying your meal, at some point you will be more thirsty than hungry. Stop and drink some water or tea or something thirst quenching and mild. "Give it a rest" meaning give your belly a rest and some liquid before you add more to it.

Hope you don't have the flu! And, I hope you will figure out what happened and how to prevent it from happening again!
Old 04-12-2012, 11:46 AM   #52
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
As Yam-Yam said, was yesterday normal in terms of when and what you ate?

I have not had, nor do I remember anyone reporting discomfort that bad. A few LCers who dived into too many carbs too soon did have problems, but you should be beyond that by now.

Sympathies! How are you today?
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 01:04 PM   #53
Big Yapper!!!!

YES. Always felt like a balloon was being blown up in my stomach. Was diagnosed with a nervous stomach. The pain gets worse and worse and finally peaks and then starts slowly going down. BUT found out years later that it was actually food allergies and I only had those reactions when I ate two allergens together. I kept a food journal for years since I was convinced it had something to do with what I was eating.
Wheat and mushrooms together were what set off my "spells".
Now I have no idea what caused your problem but food could very well be the cause. Don't just look at individual food items but how you bave combined them.
Old 04-12-2012, 02:55 PM   #54
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: krow134
Stats: 207 starting weight in 2012
WOE: Atkins
Goodness, hope your ok now. I get like that with pasta's. Its horrible!! I try to avoid them best I can now. I seen you had mac and cheese......made me think of it.
krow134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 03:19 PM   #55
Senior LCF Member

thanks. it was all food i have eaten MANY times.
i broke the fast earlier in the day with some trail mix but i ate dinner much later.

it wasnt a virus or anything
i had this happen to me a couple times before but it was gone in an hour and wasnt NEAR as bad. weird. this was horrible lol
i thought a lot of bread or something ...then maybe but i didnt have any. nuts
and it shouldnt be carbs, ive been back on carbs for 2+ weeks
PLUS ive been eating subway about 2 or 3 times a week with no issue
Old 04-12-2012, 03:20 PM   #56
Senior LCF Member

ohhhh is there something over the counter that gets rid of it?
i was wondering if i should have tums around but i think that is for heart burn
ive never had that before either. hmmm
Old 04-12-2012, 03:30 PM   #57
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Pami
WOE: LC JUDDD
Quote:
ohhhh is there something over the counter that gets rid of it?
i was wondering if i should have tums around but i think that is for heart burn
ive never had that before either. hmmm
Mylicon, Mylanta, Gas-X, look for "simethicone" in the ingredients
Pami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 03:42 PM   #58
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sdjade
Start Date: LC 10-2011, JUDDD 04-01-2012
My husband has had what you described and it was because of a gall bladder issue. He had to cut back on fat for a while to calm it down. He said he would blow up like a balloon and look pregnant. If it starts happening frequently, might want to see a doctor. Be careful with OTC meds. Sometimes they can make it worse. Hopefully it was just a one time occurrence!
sdjade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 04:23 PM   #59
Senior LCF Member

thanks and thanks
Old 04-12-2012, 04:51 PM   #60
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
thanks. it was all food i have eaten MANY times.
i broke the fast earlier in the day with some trail mix but i ate dinner much later.

it wasnt a virus or anything
i had this happen to me a couple times before but it was gone in an hour and wasnt NEAR as bad. weird. this was horrible lol
i thought a lot of bread or something ...then maybe but i didnt have any. nuts
and it shouldnt be carbs, ive been back on carbs for 2+ weeks
PLUS ive been eating subway about 2 or 3 times a week with no issue
Well, I ate wheat and mushrooms together for many years before suddenly I started have those awful attacks. Watched my diet for many years and did not have any problems until about 10 years ago and every once in awhile it will happen although I am not sure what is triggering it now.
Don't you just love a good mystery.