Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-27-2012, 09:00 AM   #1
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: No Diet = No Stress! Just eating healthy!
Being "Afraid or Scared" of JUDDD?

I have been reading this more and more as Newbies come on board and I'm having a hard time figuring out why anyone would be afraid of our wonderful JUDDD WOE?

Sure, when some first start and add back carbs (IF you so choose to) they may gain a little bit in the first week but that weight comes right off and keeps taking it's fat brothers/sisters with it the longer we do JUDDD.

It's a wonderful lifestyle WOE because NOTHING is excluded, and we can eat the way WE want NOT just from certain foods. What is to be afraid of with freedom like this?

Being confined to eating only certain foods made me afraid, not JUDDD! Some still need to eat LC and that is wonderful, even on JUDDD because YOU CAN EAT JUST AS YOU WANT! Again, so what's to be afraid of?

Here is a good link, lots of other links included in the posts on there so please look at all the posts:

Want To Know LOTS About JUDDD?

DON'T BE AFRAID OF JUDDD! There are many other things in life that cause fear, and believe me, JUDDD is NOT one of them!!

A man asked Gautama Buddha, "I want happiness." Buddha said, "First remove "I," that's Ego, then remove "want," that's Desire. See now you are left with only "Happiness.”
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-27-2012, 09:11 AM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Becky
Stats: 174.8/171.4/140...48 years old
WOE: JUDDD :)
Start Date: Start date: September 10, 2014
I was more afraid of what was I could possibly going to be able to eat on my DDs, 500 calories doesn't seem like a lot, but I was totally satisfied (I went over by 15 calories).

I'm not even bothering with very low carb, I'm trying to keep it below 60 carbs on Up days. There is plenty to fill me up under 60 carbs. I'm actually afraid of not being able to eat my 1,700 calories on my Up days.
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 09:40 AM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: b_lou_who
Stats: 2014 was195/now186.9 5'7" 44
WOE: whole organic low-sugars IF vegan
Start Date: 1997
I think every "diet" comes with fears because we have all tried/succeeded/failed/tried/failed etc or we wouldn't still be looking for an answer to our food/lifestyle/health issues.
I think people who haven't done hcg at >500cal a day are scared of how little that number looks. The same fear crops up in that group. Once you have experienced it the fear dissipates. See how many of us heave a sigh of relief at the systemic rest of a down day.
Might be the fear of lowering metabolism, but the science and anecdotal evidence both prove the effectiveness of intermittent fasting at boosting metabolism, sparing muscle, and turning on that gorgeous sirt1 gene to really benefit fat loss along with the other health benefits.
A little more reading and a week or two of actually doing the ud/dd cycle seems to remove everyone's fears, doesn't it?
Then we just have the bounces to cope with! This is one eating change that I don't think stresses enough the need to MEASURE yourself. I regret that I didn't replace my missing measuring tape for about 6 weeks in. But these jeans I am wearing don't lie. Last fall when I sorted seasonal clothes and put away I couldn't even get these puppies all the way over my hips let alone buttoned and sitting comfortably. I don't consider that anything fits until I can sit in it without pain or nasty bulges. I'm lazy, I like sitting.
Old 03-27-2012, 09:50 AM   #4
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Momto2boysNJ
Stats: 2 be Physically Fit
WOE: LC for ME!
For me it was the 500 calorie deal that was scaring me. But I'm over it now
Momto2boysNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 09:57 AM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Hazelsmrf
Stats: 303/152/150
WOE: VSG surgery
Start Date: November 8th 2012
It's the low calories that scare people. I remember reading about this plan a few years ago and thinking it's so NOT for me, I would starve, I wouldn't be able to do this for more than a week etc. Once you get going you see that it's not a big deal but on paper it sounds scary. I have binge issues and I was mostly afraid that this would trigger them.
Hazelsmrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 10:30 AM   #6
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: No Diet = No Stress! Just eating healthy!
OK, I understand the "fear" of those DD calorie numbers, but here is a thread that addresses that:

Don't Let Those DD Calories Scare You Into NOT Trying JUDDD!

Eating up to my UD calories has never been a fear, I have always wished I had more calories to aim for!
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 10:48 AM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: vanilla_latte
Stats: Weigh/Too/Much!
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: 8/18/14
Right now, I have the fear of it not working for me. Dieting for 30+ years and not having been below 200 in 99% of those years is what that fear lives on. I'm patiently waiting until the magic kicks in. JUDDD had just started working for me (14 lbs.) when I did it 5 years ago. Then I fell off the wagon and tried a couple more times, but could never get back into it. Big fail!

I get excited when I read about everyone's clothes or weigh falling off them, so I hang on to that, waiting for it to begin happening to me. Especially to you ladies who are older, since we know that metabolisms slow down as we age. Then again, I'm not even sure I have a metabolism.

Fearful of the DD calories is second on the rung, but I know it's a mind thing, for me, anyway. We've all had days that we just weren't terribly hungry and I bet if we were to go back and count the calories, it would be far less than what we thought.

Some, I'm sure, are afraid of the dreaded "starvation mode" thing, which people have brought out that shows that doesn't kick in for a much longer period than we thought.

I've lasted almost 2 weeks on it this time, which is longer than my other failed attempts after the initial success I was having with it. So, that's a good thing and I'm proud of myself for that.

I want any fear associated with JUDDD to be that I need to go shopping for new clothes too often!

Yes, I'm going to track every loss when I get it!
vanilla_latte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 10:23 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: OhioGuy
Stats: 6'2'' 370 atkins to 355 then JUDDD
WOE: Good bye LC, Hello Juddd
Start Date: 3/5/2012 atkins intro JUDDD 3/29/12
low carb kills the urge to go eat a ton of junk.
afraid of opening the door a little and having it flood back
OhioGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 10:33 PM   #9
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Yam-Yam
Stats: 230/191/165 @5'9"tall and 60 yrs. alive
WOE: Dukan 8/1/11 and now JUDDD
Start Date: 8/1/11 RE-start 1/1/14
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioGuy View Post
That is a legitimate fear IMO! I had it too. And I think I'm with PAT on this. Try the calorie cycling of JUDD with your current WOE for a while before changing. And, remember, there are lots of people who love low carb and don't want to change anything except the amount they eat on UDs and DDs, so they don't. And, it works for them.

Right now I'm with the camp that says if you do start adding in carbs and find your cravings coming back big time, then pull back on them and get rid of those cravings. Sometime in the future after you have a few weeks of calorie cycling and success on the scale and/or tape measure under your belt (pun intended?) you can vary the plan then if you want. It's totally up to you and what you can handle.

"Weight loss isn't about winning a race; it's about crossing the finish line at your own pace." -Dianna Rodriguiz

current numbers: 1975/395
goal numbers: 1700/350 (just a reminder)
Yam-Yam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 11:09 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: laranda
Stats: 185lbs 5'1/147/GOAL-110
WOE: Atkins/IF
Start Date: LC Since 09 JUDDD - 1/30/12
Quote:
I was worried about this also.
It took me sooooo long to get used to the LC way of eating and I had the fear of allowing myself too much carbage and undoing all that work.

Also, the LC woe is very against calorie counting, therefore any calorie-restricting may seem counterintuitive to any former LCers. LC puts the blame on extreme calorie restriction for slowing the metabolism as well as carb addiction for that lack of control (because low calorie processed foods are what ppl reach for instead of small amounts of proteins, fats and veggies).

I got here and I saw what I *thought* was extreme calorie restriction. And the low numbers on DD were scary. I didn't think I could possibly be full on fats/protein/veggies at only 500 calories! Add to that the idea that well, on this plan you don't HAVE to count carbs, it still WORKS without counting carbs...so...why wouldn't I eat them if the opportunity so presented itself. Well, on LC, if I wasn't strict and diligent then I wouldn't lose...I would even gain. So, say, this "juddd magic" that everyone talks about is not magic at all...what if it's just calorie counting and I just get used to eating carbs again and I don't end up losing anything, or even gain, and then I'm really set back because I'm not losing weight and I'm not becoming healthier...aaahhhh!

Ymmv

Mini goal: 159 - MET 5/5/11 !
Mini goal (unexpected): fit into a sz 12 jacket! 5/18/11
Mini goal: 145 (license weight) - we met, briefly 10/10/11
Mini goal: 132 (no longer overweight)
laranda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 11:27 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

exactly.
i had my first dd today at a whoooooping ZERO calories
lol. a gallon of tea and two pieces of gum.
tomorrow is the first ud
Old 03-28-2012, 11:34 PM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: laranda
Stats: 185lbs 5'1/147/GOAL-110
WOE: Atkins/IF
Start Date: LC Since 09 JUDDD - 1/30/12
Quote:
exactly.
tomorrow is the first ud
Congrats!!!
How was it? I've had DDs where I'm so hungry I start my UD at midnight
laranda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 01:23 AM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: sterlinggirl
Stats: 225/166/165 47 5'9
WOE: JUDDD FOR LIFE!
Start Date: Jan 2012. Name Kimberly
WTG Jamie!! Im glad you jumped on board.. I think with your determination to do your first DD at zero calories you are goin to master this WOE.. And i for one look forward to seeing you post your results as you go.. they say guys lose faster than girls.. so we will watch you melt!! with joy i might add
sterlinggirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 01:57 AM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

I also wanted to add.. "fear" is a natural part of life, in everything we do that is new.. It just so happens on this forum its a diet plan. Any thing new or different before actually trying it.. does result in a fair amount of fear of the unknown.. as well as the chance of faliure.. and we all want to be a sucess at any thing in life we try that is out of the box.. So IMO its just a normal responce. Those who have never try this WOE will come into with that feeling, but once here you would think it would dissapear once you start.. but.. it lingers for a short while there after.. in part the fear is replaced with "doubt" ie.. is this really working? will it continue?? and thats where the JUDDD BUDDDs come in to play... the support from folks who have been doing this awhile to tell us "just hang in there" "give it a lil more time" and "wait for it... then Woosh"... are all valuable things that get us Newbies over that "doubting" hump.. and we become with each passing day Belivers and supporters of newer newbies.. its a process.. and part of that process is "fear" really of the unknow if it can work for US as an individual... These are just my thoughts on this subject and i wanted to share
1995 190# Low fat
2012 225#
2012 found JUDDD
166# current 2014
Old 03-29-2012, 02:09 AM   #15
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: lylydvd
yes,I'm little afraid of Juddd because it blow my mind to know that there is such a wonderful diet..it's too good to be true !!
i was stressed over foods before i switched to Juddd ,without any loss that's because i was low carber for about 7 months and reached this phase where i believed that all carbs are pure poison ..now -As Beeb put in his signature - I CAN Have My Cake AND Eat It, Too!
lylydvd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 08:18 AM   #16
Senior LCF Member

it was fine. no problems i even hoped on the treadmill for a half hour. didnt want to do to much cuz i get crazy ass cramps while on lc. coming off lc and then not eating for a day

weird thing is, by mindight my black tea started to taste sweat! lol
maybe it was in my head.

i started a thread for my starting point and ill see how it goes.
Old 03-29-2012, 08:26 AM   #17
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: adillenal
Quote:
True. But I added carbs back into my world after many years and I have survived. Now I would probably have done better adding them slow.( or not). Now I eat whatever I want as long as the calories are right.

I am super impressed that you are doing 0 DD's. Good luck with your weighloss journey. I am enjoying mine regardless of how slow it is.
adillenal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 09:38 AM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: reptogirl
Stats: 333.2/317.2/ next weigh in 5/19
WOE: Induction 72
Start Date: March 30 2014
i have been toying with the idea of trying judd, but i am also afraid, i am afraid of the ud, i used the calculator and i am supposed to be getting 2600 on ud..i have been on stillmans for almost 2 weeks and have no appetite at all..and i have no idea what to eat on my ud, 2600 is a whole lot of non starchy veggies.

if i eat my all the veggies and meat i want on ud is it going to mess me up if i am not anywhere near the 2600?

and do people stay in ketosis this way..im confused...ive got a few great people over on stillmans that has been telling me about juddd. i am just scared that i will undo my progress from the past 2 weeks.
reptogirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 09:44 AM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: pjsam1156
WOE: JUDDD for life, baby!!
Start Date: Feb 2009; RESTART: Nov. 2011 as EX-LCer
Quote:
exactly.
tomorrow is the first ud
GO, OHIO GUY!!
pjsam1156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 09:52 AM   #20
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: vanilla_latte
Stats: Weigh/Too/Much!
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: 8/18/14
Quote:
Originally Posted by laranda View Post
I've had DDs where I'm so hungry I start my UD at midnight

I've come close to doing this a time or two, haven't yet, but it's nice to know someone who's done it!
vanilla_latte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 09:54 AM   #21
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by reptogirl View Post
i have been toying with the idea of trying judd, but i am also afraid, i am afraid of the ud, i used the calculator and i am supposed to be getting 2600 on ud..i have been on stillmans for almost 2 weeks and have no appetite at all..and i have no idea what to eat on my ud, 2600 is a whole lot of non starchy veggies.

if i eat my all the veggies and meat i want on ud is it going to mess me up if i am not anywhere near the 2600?

and do people stay in ketosis this way..im confused...ive got a few great people over on stillmans that has been telling me about juddd. i am just scared that i will undo my progress from the past 2 weeks.
Not familur with Stillmans my self.. but.. can you eat nuts? like macadamia. loaded with cals.. also natural peanutbutter? And what about heavy creams and butter.. Butter slathered on veggys bring that number up real quick!!
Old 03-29-2012, 07:43 PM   #22
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: heyjupiter
Quote:
Originally Posted by laranda View Post
Congrats!!!
How was it? I've had DDs where I'm so hungry I start my UD at midnight
This cracks me up! I tell myself that I need two nights of sleep between up days. But, I'm sure at some point I'll end up starting an UD at midnight.
heyjupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 07:55 PM   #23
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: adillenal
Quote:
Originally Posted by reptogirl View Post

Are you wanting to continue Stillmans' while following JUDDD??? I think Stillman's is one of the harder diets to stick to since (if I remember) correctly it is lowfat protein only. I have tried it in the past with appetitie suppression but not much in the way of weightloss.
Dr. J states in his book not to force feed yourself to reach and UD number.
What stats did you put into the calculator to get 2600?
adillenal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 10:27 PM   #24
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Truffles
Stats: 142/125/128 JUDDD
WOE: LC&JUDDD
Start Date: 3/11 LC - 1/12 LC/JUDDD
I can totally agree with being afraid of the DD's. I mean 500 calories??? What??

Also, i was afraid that all the work that i put in doing low carb would be "undone"

Im doing well and have added carbs. Not every day, but when i choose, and then i have no problem backing off again the next day, usually a DD and i always stay low carb on DD's.
Truffles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 07:03 AM   #25
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: speds
I'm the exact opposite - the UP days scare me. I have kept my food in check (or at least tortured myself thinking about while I didn't) for so long, the concept of eating more than 2000 calories in a day scares the h*ll out of me. Yesterday was my first DD, I breezed through it - consumed 516 calories. Down 3.8 lbs. this morning - but today is my first UP day and that has me anxious.
speds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 07:15 AM   #26
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: becky123abc
Stats: 210/195/160 5'5.5"
The UD scare me too speds...but for the opposite reason...

I've done LC for so long, I'm used to consuming more calories than my UD limit! I'm used to using cream, butter & the likes of that...
But now I'm finding myself wanting to get more food for less calories...so I can eat more.

I don't know...I'm just trying to get used to this new way...I have a tremendous appetite...or I crave a lot...

I'm almost through with my 2nd week...so I still consider myself a newbie and it will just take me a while to get adjusted.

I do think my energy level has increased some since starting JUDDD. I'm thankful for that! I'm looking forward to all of the other benefits that will kick in!
becky123abc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 10:31 AM   #27
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: BuffBabe2B
Stats: 308.6/197.5/153
WOE: Atkins/LC JUDDD
Start Date: 5/25/08
I think after doing Atkins for so long, my biggest fear is the carbs. I have slowly been working them back into my diet in the form of fruit (apples) and an occasional chocolate treat on up days, but it's difficult to get out of that mindset that they are totally off limits. I am going to try to start working oatmeal into my diet again because it's one of my absolute favorite foods, but I'm still apprehensive about it. I'm afraid it's going to totally derail me on the down days.
BuffBabe2B is offline   Reply With Quote