Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-27-2012, 08:10 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: melisa82
Stats: 5'6" SW 244 CW Too Much GW 160
WOE: LC
Start Date: 3/27/12
How to tell the difference?

This has probably been discussed, but couldn't find the thread... How can you tell if the weight you are losing is fat or just water? Thanks
melisa82 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-27-2012, 08:59 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mattsmama
Stats: 188/129.2/135 5'8" 42 yo
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: JUDDD-11/11 to present (LC-5/11-11/11)
Two words-tape measure
mattsmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 09:03 AM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: MintQ8
Stats: 264.6 (restart 260.2)/255/140
WOE: JUDDDD
Start Date: 6 May 2014
Not sure really, I imagine at the beginning it's some water - then it's fat.

It supposedly takes a deficit of 3500 to lose 1lb - so, if your 'maintenance' calories were (for example) 2000 cals - over one week you would normally eat 14000 calories. I don't 100% subscribe to the calories in, calories out rule - but if you eat 10500 calories in one week - you should lose 1lb a week

On JUDDD, if 2000 is maintenance - our average daily calories are 1250, meaning you would be eating 8750 cals per week, therefore your deficit per week is 5250 per week - probably meaning that you should lose, on average 1 1/2lbs per week.

Of course it seems not to be an exact science - different things affect our weight loss and gain!

On the flip side for those wondering if they've truly managed to gain 3lbs overnight - have you consumed an additional 10500 calories? No! So, it is probably water weight.

However, I'm beginning to think - although I'm addicted to my scale - I am considering changing my goal to a UK size 10 (US 6) - because the world sees what I look like - not what my scales say!

Have no idea if I've answered your question though. Someone (Yam Yam, I think - but maybe someone else) posted recently about when we lose fat from our cells, they fill with water - then we finally lose the water (in a whoosh) - so, truthfully, does it matter if it's water or fat on the way down?? It almost seems like it's both all the time!
Old 03-27-2012, 09:24 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: melisa82
Stats: 5'6" SW 244 CW Too Much GW 160
WOE: LC
Start Date: 3/27/12
I guess it doesn't really matter to me if it's water weight or fat. As long as the scale is going down and my clothes are getting bigger, that's all that matters. It was just a question that popped in my head...

And Vicky we have the same mini goal! I want to be 199 by my birthday August 1st! Yippeeee We can do it!
melisa82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 09:48 AM   #5
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/146.4/145, 5'9", 41 y.o., Hypothyroid
WOE: Back to JUDDD!
Me too, me too, me too! I want to be 199 by my birthday (September 21)! Truthfully, I'd love to be less than that, but I'd sure be happy to be in onederland by then.
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 10:06 AM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Hazelsmrf
Stats: 303/152/150
WOE: VSG surgery
Start Date: November 8th 2012
If you're significantly overweight then you'll lose lean body mass, no way around that. If I weigh 300 pounds I have a certain amount of muscle that's needed to move that stuff around. You have extra blood too, you won't require as much muscle nor as much blood the thinner you get. I suppose with a lot of effort you could try to maintain the muscle mass as you slim down, but if a 300 pound person has 160 pounds of lean body mass and wants to weigh 130 pounds well, you see they'll be losing a good chunk of LBM too, not just fat. Water weight counts as part of your lean body mass, so on the scale it will always be a mixture of fat and lean body mass, the real question is how much of each? And that's really hard to measure, scales don't do it accurately, callipers have a lot of user error, tape measurements help but there too, user error and it's just not very exact. I hear the test where they dunk you in the pool is the most accurate but it's not like you'll be getting that done every week... So the best you can do is eat sufficient protein to maintain your current muscles, lift weights to maintain your muscle... you've done what you can at that point, the rest will happen as it will.
Old 03-27-2012, 10:14 AM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: b_lou_who
Stats: 2014 was195/now186.9 5'7" 44
WOE: whole organic low-sugars IF vegan
Start Date: 1997
you don't lose fat without it leaving attached to water molecules, so the line is pretty blurry. and fat cells refill with some water before realizing you aren't going to put fat back in them before you see that loss permanently, so blurrier still.
b_lou_who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 10:17 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ellgee
Quote:
Originally Posted by b_lou_who View Post
you don't lose fat without it leaving attached to water molecules, so the line is pretty blurry. and fat cells refill with some water before realizing you aren't going to put fat back in them before you see that loss permanently, so blurrier still.
That's just not fair.
ellgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 10:21 AM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: b_lou_who
Stats: 2014 was195/now186.9 5'7" 44
WOE: whole organic low-sugars IF vegan
Start Date: 1997
agreed and seconded!

sadly true though.
b_lou_who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 10:30 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: artsyfartsy
Stats: 120/112.5/110-lost 30lbs. prior
WOE: Low Carb Fusion
Fat cells never disappear, they just shrink....unless you have lipo. That is why it is very easy to regain weight and then some.

You can never truly know what you are losing, but usually the beginning of a weightloss diet you will lose more water. As you progress it will be a combo of fat, water and muscle. It beneficial to weight train or do some kind of resistance exercise in order to maintain as much muscle during the weightloss.
artsyfartsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 09:42 PM   #11

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
all our tissues, including fat tissues, are primarily water. there is nothing wrong with losing water weight... it counts! if you are in ketosis, the question is, will it come back if/when you start eating carbs? the "Atkin's loan" part will. but if you aren't low carbing on your up days, that shouldn't be an issue. you should count it all.

anyone disagree?
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 01:33 AM   #12
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
I wait until the scales say the same thing three times, then I update my stats and consider the weight lost. As long as I know I am drinking enough to keep my bod well and truly hydrated, I don't worry about whether that lost weight was water or fat.

Because I know some muscle is going to be involved in the loss - and I am not in a position to scientifically figure out how much muscle is involved - I have started walking with three-pound weight in either hand, usually waved around or held above my head. I figure whether I am preserving/building muscle or just keeping the neighbors amused, it's all good.
STILL below goal 2/15/14

I did not "lose" weight. I evicted it. It is gone and it ain't coming back!

JUDDD cares about calories. JUDDD does not care what you eat. Your body probably does.
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 04:45 AM   #13
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: MintQ8
Stats: 264.6 (restart 260.2)/255/140
WOE: JUDDDD
Start Date: 6 May 2014
Nancy, I want to be your neighbour - just to see!!!
Must start weight lifting again - I love it!
MintQ8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 06:02 PM   #14
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Yam-Yam
Stats: 230/191/165 @5'9"tall and 60 yrs. alive
WOE: Dukan 8/1/11 and now JUDDD
Start Date: 8/1/11 RE-start 1/1/14
Interesting thought here: Just reading an article in the new issue of "First For Women" magazine and it says that some diets that cause us to lose fat and preserve muscle (like Intermittent Fasting, I have read over and over) get rid of fat in a way that is exactly like lypo-suction!!!!!

Can it be??????? that JUDD may actually kill the zombie fat cells that don't want to die????

BTW: I've never read any research about fat cells temporarily filling with water, but someone else posted it.

When your tummy (abdomen) gets flat, you will know you've lost fat!

Hey! I made a rhyme!!!

Take your height in inches (my height is 69 inches) divide it by 2 (for me that is 34.5). Put the tape measure around your waist and pull it tight.

If your waist measures half your height in inches, congratulations, YOU HAVE LOST FAT AND NOT JUST WATER!!!!!

Mine does. I did!!! I used to have a measurement of 40 inches around my waist when I weighed 230!!! Now it measures exactly 34 and I believe it's going to keep shrinking!! In fact, my hips are now, at the widest part, 40 inches and they were 46!!! Wooo-Hoo!!!!

"Weight loss isn't about winning a race; it's about crossing the finish line at your own pace." -Dianna Rodriguiz

current numbers: 1975/395
goal numbers: 1700/350 (just a reminder)

Last edited by Yam-Yam; 03-28-2012 at 06:03 PM..
Yam-Yam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 06:13 PM   #15
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Becky
Stats: 174.8/174.8/140...48 years old
WOE: JUDDD :)
Start Date: Start date: August 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by MintQ8 View Post
Not sure really, I imagine at the beginning it's some water - then it's fat.

It supposedly takes a deficit of 3500 to lose 1lb - so, if your 'maintenance' calories were (for example) 2000 cals - over one week you would normally eat 14000 calories. I don't 100% subscribe to the calories in, calories out rule - but if you eat 10500 calories in one week - you should lose 1lb a week

On JUDDD, if 2000 is maintenance - our average daily calories are 1250, meaning you would be eating 8750 cals per week, therefore your deficit per week is 5250 per week - probably meaning that you should lose, on average 1 1/2lbs per week.

Of course it seems not to be an exact science - different things affect our weight loss and gain!

On the flip side for those wondering if they've truly managed to gain 3lbs overnight - have you consumed an additional 10500 calories? No! So, it is probably water weight.

However, I'm beginning to think - although I'm addicted to my scale - I am considering changing my goal to a UK size 10 (US 6) - because the world sees what I look like - not what my scales say!

Have no idea if I've answered your question though. Someone (Yam Yam, I think - but maybe someone else) posted recently about when we lose fat from our cells, they fill with water - then we finally lose the water (in a whoosh) - so, truthfully, does it matter if it's water or fat on the way down?? It almost seems like it's both all the time!
I like your explination of gaining 3 pounds in overnight, you'd have to be REALLY hungry to eat and extra 10500 calories . I'm going to remember that when the scale is being a jerk.

My size goal is an 8, though I'd be thrilled with a 6 for sure!!
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote