Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2012, 09:25 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: GingerAnn
WOE: Atkins
How do you know your SIRT1 is fully activated?

I would like to hear what people's experience is.. I'm thinking suppressed appetite but what else? How do you know if yours is 'fully turned on'?

Is there a maximum level it achieves?
GingerAnn is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-26-2012, 10:01 PM   #2
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Yam-Yam
Stats: 230/191/165 @5'9"tall and 60 yrs. alive
WOE: Dukan 8/1/11 and now JUDDD
Start Date: 8/1/11 RE-start 1/1/14
For me the first time I realized it was really fully activated was in January after I had been doing the JUDD rotations for over 3 weeks. I had an 8 day vacation/business trip w/ DH to Florida and the conference was at the Disney World Resort.

There were luncheons, dinners, social hours, dinners, more luncheons...drinks...food, food, food. I made my best effort to get on line and come to the JUDD forum every day and I had told myself I was going to be "good" and stay with my rotations.

However! It was not really possible to stick to it so well. I ate waaaaay too much waaaaaaay too often, lots of carbs, but I had fun. Imagine my shock in realizing I had only gained 1.8 pounds!!! When I got back home and did 2 UD/DD cycles, the 1.8 was gone and took another .4 with it!

Never would this have happened on LC. After a free-for-all sort of week like that I probably would have gained 8-10 pounds on LC, been mad at myself, punished myself and still it would have taken a month or more to get half of it back off!

I am also one who noticed the inches starting to melt away before the scale numbers started going down. When I was whining about losing so slowly one day someone recommended I take my measurements and I did and was shocked especially at how much I had lost from my waist and belly area.

Make sure you take your measurements. You may be surprised that the inches go first and then the scale catches up later.

This WOE is much easier to get back into after a vacation. I think that must be the SIRT gene calling us back. Not sure! (Sirt calling "Come Back!!")

I had heard people talking about the calm peaceful feeling they get on a down day and also how they are craving healthier, whole foods on UDs instead of junk.

I started really feeling that after about 4-5 weeks and I'm amazed at the healthy things I actually WANT on an UD when I can have anything.

In the beginning when I ate carbs, I got cravings for more carbs.

That's really tapering off now so that if I splurge and have cake or potato chips, I actually have built in portion control! I don't even recognize myself anymore!!!

Some people report much more energy and a bounciness where they felt sluggish before.

Others will come and tell you about skin conditions clearing up and asthma disappearing. There are a lot of different ways. But, I think someone said, "You'll know".

It was kind of like when I was carrying my first child. I asked everyone "How will I know when it's time for her to be born?" Guess what my mother, sisters and every woman I asked said, ....."YOU'LL KNOW!" It's kinds like that. .....but not exactly.

"Weight loss isn't about winning a race; it's about crossing the finish line at your own pace." -Dianna Rodriguiz

current numbers: 1975/395
goal numbers: 1700/350 (just a reminder)
Yam-Yam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 10:05 PM   #3
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: sophiethecat
Stats: 170+/135-138/145 5'6 39y pcos/IR/metformin
WOE: WL=LC then JUDDD/IF; Maintenance=IF/75%+ "healthy"
Start Date: LC 6/11; JUDDD 10/11; Maintenance 11/11
My experience will be at least a little different than yours, but after 2 or 3 weeks, I started to notice some good things about how I felt, both mentally and physically.

Here is part of a progress report I gave after 4 weeks on JUDDD:

...the DD part of my days, the fasting or near-fasting period. I like how I feel then. After a minimum 12 hours, but especially by 15 - 18 hours I am full-on into the delight of it. Other than the hunger I'm feeling by then, lol, but I know that means my body is under survival stress - GOOD stress, and has kicked into gear - working to repair cells and increase health and hopefully extend life. I have mentioned before how good I feel during this time. My sinuses clear up. I never have to take allergy meds on DD. My head feels clearer, I get a good body feeling, a sense of calm, pleasant and alert. Skin looks glowy.

Here's part of my progress report from 8 weeks into JUDDD:

I find that I am much calmer and things bother me less. This is ALL the time, not just on DD. I have a lot more patience and little things that used to get on my nerves do not anymore. It's like I had an attitude adjustment that was a long time in the coming. I felt it especially last Friday, as if it all sunk in. There was no particular event that changed me, just my thought patterns were changing and I felt something different deep to my core. I assume this has something to do with the way CR (calorie restriction) can affect one's brain chemistry for the better. I just know as happy as I was before with life, now I'm happier all the way through, much less anxiety, more love and hope and affection, and I don't ever want to go back to the way I was before!!
MAINTENANCE since 11/12/11, & have lost more weight. I shake things up all the time with my version of Pirate Jenny's MUDDD, my "Fast 5" & other IF. ...low-moderate fat....and eating "healthy" foods 75+% of the time which lets me have real life and indulgences too I've reached my goals, improved my health & appearance, and enjoy my lifetime woe!

Last edited by sophiethecat; 03-26-2012 at 10:07 PM..
sophiethecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 03:32 AM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
My first three weeks DDs I lost a pound a week. Which pleased me because I had been so ridiculously stalled for almost three months before. Any loss beat no loss.

Then, on DD Wednesday of the fourth week, I found myself feeling ... I almost can't put it into words ... I felt calm, energized, secure, really not hungry. It is sort of like, "JUDDD is working" morphed into "This is way I am comfortable living".

Maybe it is hard to explain because it really is something physical that happens inside the body?
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 01:48 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotsomeold View Post
My first three weeks DDs I lost a pound a week. Which pleased me because I had been so ridiculously stalled for almost three months before. Any loss beat no loss.

Then, on DD Wednesday of the fourth week, I found myself feeling ... I almost can't put it into words ... I felt calm, energized, secure, really not hungry. It is sort of like, "JUDDD is working" morphed into "This is way I am comfortable living".

Maybe it is hard to explain because it really is something physical that happens inside the body?
I'm really looking forward to feeling this!!
Old 03-27-2012, 01:58 PM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: b_lou_who
Stats: 2014 was195/now186.9 5'7" 44
WOE: whole organic low-sugars IF vegan
Start Date: 1997
I agree with Nancy...I think when you realize you have already accepted the intermittent fasting lifestyle and feel good about down days with that delightful appetite suppression in place, you can sense that gene has come on.
And when you discover that an unplanned up or medium day doesn't destroy you physically or emotionally.
Plus, my belly fat started melting off even though the scale wasn't particularly moving down. That has never happened. Not in years of low carb, not in years of switching over to clean/organic/pastured/low sugar/whole eating. Not with hcg. NADA
That has to be the gene in action for me, and I couldn't be more thrilled.
Old 03-27-2012, 02:15 PM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sunday
Stats: 225/145/ ...
WOE: Perfect Health Diet- 16hr Daily Fast
Start Date: JUDDD - 2/01/12 Began at 200, Goal 130
I thought the energy that I have been feeling, could have been possibly from me taking Omega 3 and Resveratrol, but now I am believing it is really the SIRT-1???

I really have more energy and I love it! I never miss my exercise now and that is a first for me personally. Plus, I look forward to each day and not even think about whether I need to look for another diet plan, because this plan is remarkable!
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 02:20 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: heatherwagnon
Stats: 156.6/124.2/125
WOE: HCG rx/JUDDD/LC
Start Date: R1 10/10 R2 1/12
wish we could just pee on a stick for this positive or negative would be so much easier
heatherwagnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 02:49 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ironicwoman
Stats: 205/185/160
WOE: JUDDD ~ It's working! It's working!
Start Date: Started JUDDD: 2/02/12 ReStarted JUDDD: 3/25/14
Maybe this needs to be a Sticky or whatever you call it at the top.
ironicwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 01:49 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

I'm thrilled that today - for the first time, I wasn't hungry until mid afternoon! Woo!
Old 03-28-2012, 02:02 PM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: b_lou_who
Stats: 2014 was195/now186.9 5'7" 44
WOE: whole organic low-sugars IF vegan
Start Date: 1997
I don't know about a max level??? but in the documentation he cites in the book it tends to stay activated for about 11 days (allowing for the occasional vacation without distress)
b_lou_who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 02:44 PM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: DD80
Stats: 188/165.0/145 5'10"
WOE: Organic GrassFed Gluten-Free 5/13 Dairy Free 2/14
Start Date: 1/10/12 Medi, 2/9/12 First UD, 1/1/13 New Plan
I don't know. There are still DDs when I'm starving (like yesterday ). (I think some of that has to do with hormones and working out a lot though).

I think for me, the thing I noticed the most is that, after a nice, big breakfast on a UD, I am not really hungry for anything else. This is annoying because I am always so looking forward to eating when I'm on my DD, and to be not hungry after breakfast on a UD is like, . I am usually hungry for a late lunch, which is so not me (I'm an 11 am on the dot girl) and a smaller dinner. I don't know if that's the gene or what, but it certainly is a change for me.
DD80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 05:23 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: leonak
Stats: 122/114.5/110-114
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Start 2-1-14
Quote:
Originally Posted by GingerAnn View Post
I would like to hear what people's experience is.. I'm thinking suppressed appetite but what else? How do you know if yours is 'fully turned on'?

Is there a maximum level it achieves?
For me it was and still is the size of my jeans! I have been on this WOE since the first of the year, lost 4 # as of March 1 and have gone from a size 12 jeans to an 8! Sure wish I would of measured!!!!

leonak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 01:00 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: OhioGuy
Stats: 6'2'' 370 atkins to 355 then JUDDD
WOE: Good bye LC, Hello Juddd
Start Date: 3/5/2012 atkins intro JUDDD 3/29/12
how in the world do people lose so many inches and no weight. im baffled by this
OhioGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 01:29 PM   #15
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Luna Loca
Stats: 303/159/159
Start Date: 10/17/10 started JUDDD on 1/28/12 at 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioGuy View Post
how in the world do people lose so many inches and no weight. im baffled by this
Fat takes up quite a lot of space, and muscle is heavier than fat. So if you are burning fat and building (or just maintaining) muscle, this can easily happen.
Luna Loca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 01:34 PM   #16
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sunday
Stats: 225/145/ ...
WOE: Perfect Health Diet- 16hr Daily Fast
Start Date: JUDDD - 2/01/12 Began at 200, Goal 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by leonak View Post
For me it was and still is the size of my jeans! I have been on this WOE since the first of the year, lost 4 # as of March 1 and have gone from a size 12 jeans to an 8! Sure wish I would of measured!!!!

I agree about the inches! I have been sliding down in pant size faster than I thought. This week makes 2 months of JUDDD.
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 01:59 PM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: artsyfartsy
Stats: 120/112.5/110-lost 30lbs. prior
WOE: Low Carb Fusion
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioGuy View Post

It's happened to me. I lost a complete size without any scale loss. Another size with just 3lbs.

A pound of muscle weighs the SAME as pound of fat ( a pound is a pound), but muscle weight takes up less space per square inch. Therefore, scale weight may not show loss while you're losing inches.

Think about how the quanity of cotton balls it would take to weigh a pound and put that up to a pound of butter. Huge amount. You'd be quite fluffier with all that cotton stuffed into you.

Last edited by artsyfartsy; 03-29-2012 at 02:00 PM..
artsyfartsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 02:01 PM   #18
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Luna Loca
Stats: 303/159/159
Start Date: 10/17/10 started JUDDD on 1/28/12 at 198
artsyfartsy, you're right. I shouldn't have said muscle is heavier than fat, one pound is one pound.

What I should have said is one pound of muscle takes up less space than one pound of fat. That would be more precise.
Luna Loca is offline   Reply With Quote