Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   JUDDD (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/)
-   -   Your favorite protein bar for DDs (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/764635-your-favorite-protein-bar-dds.html)

GingerAnn 03-26-2012 04:11 PM

Your favorite protein bar for DDs

Hi all.. been lurking for a while. Just posted a 'hello' in the welcome forum!

I wanted to find out what protein bar you all enjoy on your down days. I bought the Atkin's Caramel Double Crunch bar. It's pretty good and I find it keeps me full.

I also wanted to find out if anyone finds that they stall when using the protein bars?

adillenal 03-26-2012 04:12 PM

I only use bars if I am at an event that keeps me from being able to stick to my DD's without the bars. Sorry I am no help on bars.

ouizoid 03-26-2012 04:20 PM

I'm pretty sure most of us are eating real food. Occasionally, I will have a protein shake--but even that is homemade

SoHappy 03-26-2012 04:24 PM

Sorry. I can't help you either. I don't use the bars or the canned shakes either. I just make and eat *real* food.

Hope somebody can help you.

GingerAnn 03-26-2012 04:30 PM

I'm coming off the 'induction' phase, so I'm carefully moving towards real food. The bars are an easy way for me to do this while I adjust to the counting calories. ;)

sungoddess 03-26-2012 04:39 PM

:welcome: Welcome to JUDDD. Can't wait to hear your progress.

It's absolutely perfectly okay for you to eat bars or drink shakes. You can choose any kind you want that fits your calorie needs. Most of us have chosen to eat other foods than bars and shakes, but do what works for you and what is easiest for you. :hugs: The Atkins bars are yummy and they won't cause you to stall on JUDDD.

Truffles 03-26-2012 04:40 PM

Not necessarily a protein "bar" persay but I love the ostrim sticks. 80 calories and a good source of protein. Most of the bars i have found are too high in calories for me.

b_lou_who 03-26-2012 04:47 PM

Homemade carrot cake hemp protein bars...haven't made any in a long time. Yummy

sungoddess 03-26-2012 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by b_lou_who (Post 15529080)
Homemade carrot cake hemp protein bars...haven't made any in a long time. Yummy

okay, now that entices me. Can you post the recipe?

b_lou_who 03-26-2012 04:53 PM

Hunting for it now

GingerAnn 03-26-2012 06:26 PM

Yeah the calories are concerning.. we were at the grocery store tonight and I was looking at some of the packages.. one was 220 calories for this little tiny bar : /

b_lou_who 03-26-2012 06:54 PM

Jamie Eason's Carrot Cake Protein Bars Recipe

Nutrition info there too

sungoddess 03-26-2012 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by b_lou_who (Post 15529418)

Thank you so much!!! I just need to get the carrots. I am going to try them for when I am out on the road. :hugs:

KathyL 03-26-2012 07:50 PM

Hmmm, those look interesting. Might have to give them a try but I don't have the sweetener. Did you notice the nutritional info at the bottom of the recipe is different than that in the box on the side? Or am I missing something?

b_lou_who 03-26-2012 08:00 PM

She counts two of the 16 cubes versus one, and it depends on whether you add rolled oats or not

Beeb 03-26-2012 08:12 PM

:welcome: to JUDDD! Lots don't do the bars/shakes, lots do and whatever is going to work for you, work it!!

Hope to see you posting often with your continued success!! :high5:

sophiethecat 03-26-2012 09:01 PM

Hello GingerAnn & :welcome: to JUDDD! :shake:

I started using the Pure Protein Chocolate Deluxe bars when I was on LC, and continued to enjoy them regularly in my early weeks/months on JUDDD. They were a lifesaver on many a DD.

I still eat them on occasion, but now that my DD calories are higher in maintenance and I do alternate IF, I don't need them very often.

I would often finish a DD with one of these bars and a cup of plain decaf coffee or tea. Nibbled slowly, they were quite filling and a perfect way to send myself off to sleep on a DD. Or anytime of the day.

You can get them at Walmart. I buy them by the box. I only like the Chocolate Deluxe flavor.

The Chocolate Deluxe have 180 calories, 20 g. protein, 4.5 g fat, 11 net carbs (subtracting sugar alcohol and fiber).

As far as shakes, it's funny but I only started using them in the last month or so. I like them as a breakfast or as part of another small meal. I haven't tried a lot of kinds, but the kind I love and repurchase is also at Walmart - Body Fortress Super Advanced Whey - Chocolate powder. I mix it with milk or almond milk or Silk coconut milk or a mix of them. Occasionally I stir 1/2 scoop into plain yogurt and have it with berries.

The powder per scoop has 140 calories, 2 g. fat, 8 g. carb, 26 g. protein.

I recommend sipping the shakes through a straw - otherwise I want to gulp it all down in a minute!

HTH. :)

Gweebles 03-26-2012 10:15 PM

Does jerky count as a protein bar? LOL. I didn't try bars because they are so high in calories. One bar is over half my DD allowance. EAS Carb Control shakes are a good substitute. I added glucomannan to thicken it up though so it would be filling.

2BoysMom 03-26-2012 10:29 PM

I LOVE Luna Bars. They run around 180 calories, so I usually have one for "brunch" - but all the flavors are fabulous and they have a lot of nutrients in them. I have always liked the simplicity of bars, though - no matter what kind of eating plan I am on. I eat these for breakfast on UD's, sometimes, too.

It'stime 03-26-2012 10:39 PM

the chocolate quest bar was really filling and 170 calories and really a healthy one. Chewy and filling

Truffles 03-26-2012 10:42 PM

Walgreens dows have a "Flurry bar" 16 grams of protein. Carmel, PB, and chocolate. Oh and protein. Did i mention Peanut Butter??? YUM!! They have an oreo cookie one too. The flurry bar is 175 calories. Was great for my UD dessert. Could be good for a DD.

Yam-Yam 03-27-2012 12:16 AM

Zone bars rock but I cut them in half while the wrapper is still on. Just get a big old knife and cut them.

They have lots of tasty and filling ones. I think my favorite is dark chocolate almond.

I bought them on Amazon.com really a great deal and free shipping.

I think they were cheaper there than in the local store for sure.

Oh, and I consider Zone bars to be "real" food. It's just that they are a "real" treat. Taste like a wonderful indulgent candy bar. But they have protein and other nutritious ingredients like fiber! Yum!

But, as I said, I eat half at a time. These are bigger that a lot of the other bars out there. Hope you find something you like!:jumpjoy:

sterlinggirl 03-27-2012 04:54 AM

I love the choc chip atkin bar.. but i dont use it for a meal per say.. i get a sugar craving and im looking for sweet treat kind of like a better cheat choice and i will eat one of these.. i also like to use them to bump up my cals for an up day mostly due to they pack in 200 cals.. so if im short on the numbers i will use them to get there.. if i dont choose to eat my peanutbutter off the spoon for my added calories..:hyst:

piratejenny 03-27-2012 01:46 PM

I'm another who has replaced protein bars with jerky. Lol!

I find them more filling for fewer calories, usually more protein for the calories, and somewhat cheaper if you compare grams of protein. Plus jerky takes longer to chew! And it doesn't get messy in the heat! :)

I know that won't be helpful at all if you're a vegetarian! :laugh:

adillenal 03-27-2012 02:06 PM

Thanks for the jerky suggestion. I make my own since we have a whole steer in the freezer and I will just take a bag of this next time I go somewhere.

GingerAnn 03-27-2012 02:40 PM

All great suggestions - thank you for the feedback!

phurst_gal 03-27-2012 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by adillenal (Post 15531868)
Thanks for the jerky suggestion. I make my own since we have a whole steer in the freezer and I will just take a bag of this next time I go somewhere.

Wow! I'm so jealous. We don't have room for a freezer, although I would dearly love to be able to buy beef in quantity.

And to make your own jerky is even better. It's so crazy expensive. When I used to travel alot for work, I always bought it in airports and charged it as a "meal"!

Edited to add:

As to the bars, I prefer the QUEST bars, virtually any flavor. I take them as "backup", if I know I'm going to be away from home on a DD, and may not have many food options.

For my first 2 weeks, I used mostly shakes on DD. I liked the "no thinking ... no cooking" part. I preferred the vanilla Protein Power shakes. I think they were like 120 calories each. I just threw some Chrystal Light and the shake in a blender with a few ice cubes. Usually Orange or Strawberry.

Muffabuff 04-05-2012 08:12 PM

I love GenSoy bars in chocolate fudge brownie flavor. They are 210 calories. These are really chewy and have a chocolate coating. You get 10 grams of protein but also about 31 net carbs. Still they are almost like a cheat but I still lose when I include them in my woe.

adillenal 04-05-2012 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phurst_gal (Post 15532089)
Wow! I'm so jealous. We don't have room for a freezer, although I would dearly love to be able to buy beef in quantity.

And to make your own jerky is even better. It's so crazy expensive. When I used to travel alot for work, I always bought it in airports and charged it as a "meal"!

And we raised the steer ourselves so we know exactly what he was fed plus there are also two pigs in the freezeer that we also raised. We are going back to wholesome food that doesn't have growth hormones etc in it. I love having a giant chest freezer full of food.

I surprised myself with the jerky I made. It is so good.

MintQ8 04-06-2012 01:49 AM

An Egg??? Sorry - couldn't resist.

I keep looking at them - and think I could cope with the calories, just don't want to spend that much money on them.