Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   JUDDD (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/)
-   -   Magnesium - what brand?? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/764623-magnesium-what-brand.html)

leonak 03-26-2012 12:49 PM

Magnesium - what brand??

I went to Wal-Mart and Walgreens today. I read here that to buy the magnesium that had "ate" on the label but all they have is words ending in "ide". I thought for sure Walgreens would have it!

I want it for constipation!:stars:

KeirasMom 03-26-2012 12:52 PM

Same question here too. I ended up getting the Target brand, but it's an "-ide." :confused:

b_lou_who 03-26-2012 01:01 PM

I buy Natural Calm magnesium that you mix into water. It is stevia sweetened, tastes good, absorbs quickly, and does help relax/go to sleep at night naturally. It comes in just magnesium or calcium/magnesium for whichever you prefer. I like the citrus flavors, lemon is my favorite. "A highly absorbable proprietary blend of magnesium carbonate and citric acid - which, in combination with water, creates ionic magnesium citrate."

Natural Calm Magnesium Directions

Place powder in a glass or mug: add 2-3 oz of hot water. Let it fizz, then stir until dissolved. Fill with warm or cold water and enjoy. You can also simply add Natural Calm to a glass or bottle of cold water. Use only as directed.

SERVING SIZE: Individual needs may vary. Start with one half teaspoon (1g) daily and gradually increase to 2 slightly rounded teaspoons (4.5g) as needed.

FOR BEST RESULTS: Divide your daily amount of Natural Calm into two servings. Natural Calm can be taken with or without food. When bowels are comfortably loose, this is the optimal amount.

ADVANCED USE: 3 rounded teaspoons (7g), which provides 540 mg or 135% of daily value.

Supplement Facts
Serving Size: 2 Teaspoons
Servings per Container: 100
Amount Per Serving % Daily Value
Magnesium 350 mg 87%
Other Ingredients: A highly absorbable proprietary blend of magnesium carbonate and citric acid - which, in combination with water, creates ionic magnesium citrate.

mykidsteacher 03-26-2012 01:12 PM

I take the same one as b_lou. I like the raspberry lemon flavor. It must be much more available to my system, because I need much less of it (mg wise) than I did the other magnesium I was taking.

Naturally, the -ide magnesiums are much cheaper, which is why that is what you find at WM and Walgreen's. You will likely need a health food store/Whole Foods type store to find the good stuff.

mainemom 03-26-2012 01:17 PM

Me too for the Natural Calm brand. I use the unflavored kind. Tastes a bit like unsweetened lemonade due to the citric acid, I think. I don't mind drinking it plain, but sometimes I'll put a squeeze of Mio flavoring in it. I really like this to help keep me regular. I take it morning and night and get it online through Amazon.

Yam-Yam 03-26-2012 01:19 PM

I think it's the potassium that needs to be 'ate at the end. :dunno:

fixin 03-26-2012 01:39 PM

I do use oxide, cheap from walmart, works great.

Sammyann 03-26-2012 02:11 PM

I just ordered Thorne Magnesium Citramate. Its a combo of magnesium citrate and malic acid. (supposed to be good for fibro)

BlueTopaz 03-26-2012 02:26 PM

I use Twin Labs Magnesium Oxide. This is the magnesium for constipation. It works well. It's powdered in a capsule so well absorbed. 1 before bed and I'm good to go in the morning.

SoHappy 03-26-2012 02:38 PM

I've never used it, so it's all new to me.

I never have constipation issues. I always think it's because I eat so, so much fruit and veggies and drink lots & lots of green tea 1/2 & 1/2 with black tea. But maybe I'm just lucky.

Hope any who have this trouble find something to help!

KathyL 03-26-2012 02:43 PM

I found it locally at the Vitamin Shoppe....store band mag. citrate. While I haven't gotten 'daily' results with it, I'm doing much better than before. Since most DDs all I have is a smoothie I don't think it's unusual not to go the next day. At least not for me.

I didn't realize it helps you sleep. A couple nights ago I took it right after dinner without thinking and within 15 minutes or so I go soooooo sleepy. I ended up in bed at 9 and slept fantastically (I normally sleep pretty well to begin with). LOL

KeirasMom 03-26-2012 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoHappy (Post 15528891)
I've never used it, so it's all new to me.

I never have constipation issues. I always think it's because I eat so, so much fruit and veggies and drink lots & lots of green tea 1/2 & 1/2 with black tea. But maybe I'm just lucky.

Hope any who have this trouble find something to help!

I drink tons and tons (water and tea mostly with coffee in the mornings) and eat lots of veggies on both UDs and DDs. It's not unusual for me to go several days without a visit from Bernice (so glad I know her name now!).

I don't eat fruit very often though, other than tomatoes. Maybe that's the key!

2BoysMom 03-26-2012 03:11 PM

I had no idea that magnesium helped with sleep. I have been taking mine in the morning! Suppose I should shift that over to the night-time. :)

SoHappy 03-26-2012 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KeirasMom (Post 15528948)
I drink tons and tons (water and tea mostly with coffee in the mornings) and eat lots of veggies on both UDs and DDs. It's not unusual for me to go several days without a visit from Bernice (so glad I know her name now!).

I don't eat fruit very often though, other than tomatoes. Maybe that's the key!

I know... Bernice. That made me laugh. :laugh:

I guess we're all just different as to what makes everything move along as it should. But the funny thing is, I've had animals by the dozens, of all kinds, over the decades of my life, but humans are about the only animal who has trouble pooping! I really does seem strange. LOLOL

GingerAnn 03-26-2012 03:16 PM

I used Natural Calm as well.. tastes good hot. Nice and lemony.

kel7298 03-27-2012 08:53 AM

I have done my research on this as I have issues. It's definitely Magnesium Oxide for constipation, and you get the added bonus of sleeping more soundly. As for dosage, start out with one (mine are 400 mg) and work up from there. I take one at night with a calcium supplement, then another in the morning with my other vitamins. I also take 2 Swiss Kriss tablets in the morning. Those help as well.

sazzie 03-27-2012 09:06 AM

When I was on HCG I used Natural Calm with good success!

Now that I've been on JUDDD I don't need it, but did recommend it to a neighbor who was having problems and the issue has been resolved.

Good product!!!

pjsam1156 03-29-2012 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kel7298 (Post 15531044)
I have done my research on this as I have issues. It's definitely Magnesium Oxide for constipation, and you get the added bonus of sleeping more soundly. As for dosage, start out with one (mine are 400 mg) and work up from there. I take one at night with a calcium supplement, then another in the morning with my other vitamins. I also take 2 Swiss Kriss tablets in the morning. Those help as well.

I read or was told that I should take Magnesium CITRATE for constipation. Now I'm confused. So should I start taking magnesium oxide instead?:confused:

buttoni 03-29-2012 06:46 PM

I think both the citrate and oxide have a laxative effect, so I believe either one would help with constipation. The chelated magnesium I take has absolutely no laxative effect.

heyjupiter 03-29-2012 06:53 PM

I got the "-ate" magnesium, but even small doses have me running to the bathroom!

I now take the "-ide" magnesium and no sprinting to the bathroom! But, it does help keep things moving if you KWIM, lol.

kel7298 03-30-2012 07:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pjsam1156 (Post 15539374)
I read or was told that I should take Magnesium CITRATE for constipation. Now I'm confused. So should I start taking magnesium oxide instead?:confused:

Well Heck! That is what my pharmacist told me. Off to do more research.

KeirasMom 03-30-2012 07:58 AM

I got the oxide because it's all I could find. It took a couple of days to start working, but it seems to be doing the trick now. :dunno: