Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2012, 10:29 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: KathyL
Stats: 205/118-122/125 5'4" Age 53
WOE: low glycemic index in 2011 JUDDD in 2012
Start Date: January 2011
Help me come up with a plan for my dh

He has 15-20 pounds to lose. Last year he got down from 195 to a low of 157 mostly doing his own thing with some lc here and there. But he hasn't been able to hold on to it and now fluctuates from the low 160's to the low 170's. When he does get back to the low 160's he just gets stuck.

So here's where it gets tricky. He works nights. And his 'Monday' is actually Thursday. It might be easier to visualize if I list his schedule out.

Thursday - up around 8 a.m., naps from maybe 3 until 7:30. Up at 7:30 p.m., leaves around 8:30 and gets home Friday around 9 a.m. Goes to bed around 1.

Friday through Monday - up at 7:30 p.m., leaves at 8:30, home next morning around 9 a.m., bed around 1 p.m.

Tuesday - gets home 9 a.m., does not go to bed until 10 or 11 p.m.

Wednesday - up around 8 a.m., bed around 11 or 12.

Really messed up, huh? And you can see he doesn't get nearly enough sleep. Some days he doesn't even get to bed by 1 because he working on some project here (we live on a small dairy goat farm and run our own soap company). Some days, when the exhaustion gets to be too much, he goes to bed as soon as he gets home. I try to *insist* he at least get 6 hours of sleep during the week and 8 on his 'weekends' but it often doesn't happen. I hate his schedule. And his 'weekend' days will change every 4 months. Talk about difficult. I know keeping different hours on his weekends than during the work week is really bad for his system too.

I would love for our UDs to coincide but I just can't wrap my mind around it. Anyone game to come up with some sort of schedule that he could try?
KathyL is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-26-2012, 10:53 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: b_lou_who
Stats: 2014 was195/now186.9 5'7" 44
WOE: whole organic low-sugars IF vegan
Start Date: 1997
I would just MAKE his schedule coincide with yours, either by adjusting your ud/dd cycle or by having his match yours no matter what.
The thing my hubby does (who has been doing juddd a month just today and has lost 10 lbs) is: he is on the same schedule as me for ud/dd but some of his down days have to be medium days of 1000-1200 cal because of his work load/mental alertness etc necessities. That seems to work just fine and of course he has lost way more than me in half the time just by doing that. So give your dh the schedule that you think will work best for both of you but give him some leeway to adjust upward on your dds that require more of him. Make sure his food is nutrient dense and as prepped as he requires to make it easy to start with. Some chia gelled in fresh goat milk would be killer good! He HAS to have a breakfast or becomes one surly puppy which just cannot be with his job & business. Sometimes he works nights til 4am, sometimes just days, has to be sharp.
Mine will stand and stare at the fridge like it is foreign to him. I tell him "that is your jar of chia almond milk on the right, your salad and meat are in the container with the green lid, you can take either those chicken sausages or the leftover meatloaf in the glass container with the blue lid" and keep it specific for his down days. UD he does whatever he wants for breakfast and lunch unless we are home together. We eat clean and organic so it would be hard to have a really bad day with food for him

Last edited by b_lou_who; 03-26-2012 at 10:54 AM..
b_lou_who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 10:56 AM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/<273/<160 (5'7")
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: restart 6/12/14 @ 289.4
Hi, I'm not sure I can wrap my head around all that, either : laugh: but, at a glance, perhaps it would be possible to think of his "days" as 24hr periods rather than Monday, Tuesday, etc.

Figure out if there is a somewhat consistent time, whether it be 2pm or 8pm or whatever, when he is usually awake & ready to eat, and that will be the start of his up day or down day.

He may have a shorter down day/fasting period than you, but since men often lose weight a little more easily than women, it could be enough to be effective for him.

Here's an old thread on the concept:

24hrUD/24hrDD experiment
New lows, 2014:
7/25....276.2
8/01....274.6
8/02....274.2
8/03....273.6
8/04....271.6

Last edited by piratejenny; 03-26-2012 at 10:59 AM.. Reason: missing word
piratejenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 11:38 AM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mykidsteacher
Stats: 152/134/125 5'4"
WOE: Primal as of Aug 2011/JUDDD (started 1/13/12)
Start Date: Aug 2011/I've been maintaining since April 2012
I don't know how you keep it straight! MUDDD might work well for him. and b_lou_who, sounds like you have it under control very well.
mykidsteacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 12:02 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: KathyL
Stats: 205/118-122/125 5'4" Age 53
WOE: low glycemic index in 2011 JUDDD in 2012
Start Date: January 2011
Ahhh.... so I will just have to look at each 24 hour period, not try to have his 'wake up' time be the start of a new day. Why didn't I think of that? LOL And then it will be much easier for us to be on the same day, all day.

I'm going to start him at 750 cal low days. I think that will be doable for him. And as suggested, up it to 1000 on those longer/harder days. And *I* am going to have to be more helpful getting his meals (you're way better than me, b_lou). I know there's no way he'd be willing to weigh or measure anything.

Thanks!
KathyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 12:12 PM   #6
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
WOE: 1400 cals/70g carbs/85% Primal
If you look at the 2 day average, even if he does 1000 on DD's and 2000 on UD's, that's only 1500 cals a day. For a man that's still pretty low!
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote