Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2012, 09:58 AM   #1
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sungoddess
WOE: Perfect Health Diet/JUDDD
Start Date: LC;HCG; 1/19/12/JUDDD; 1/13/13 PHD/JUDDD
Do you feel betrayed by your scale?

My dear friend decided to try JUDDD. She lurks on this site upon occasion, so I want to make a point to her and others who are frustrated. She has announced to me that JUDDD isn’t for her because she is not seeing the numbers on the scale drop enough.

There are so many threads on here about NOT depending on the scale alone to measure your results! The scale itself is a relatively primitive tool of measuring what is going on inside our magical bodies. We know weight loss is not a linear process and is not always reflective of what happened the past 24 hours. There are so many variables involved. Also, it measures weight loss, not necessarily fat loss.

I have seen many people over the years quit a plan depending on what that 'ol scale said! 
My friend has definite BPS (baggy pants syndrome), but she is momentarily not seeing the drop of numbers on the scale, so she is going to quit?? Clearly she is losing inches. What the scale says should not be the final determining factor of your success.

On multiple threads, we have talked about using more measures than the scale alone. The tape measure is a good tool to check inches lost and focusing on the non-scale victories helps keep us on the path as we recognize we are doing good things for our bodies. It isn’t just about what the scale says! If people show patience and realize what is physiologically going on inside of the body, maybe they won’t be so quick to quit.

"You can lose inches and not lose scale weight. What happens is that you burn the fat out of your cells, BUT, your body doesn't want to let go. So, your body puts water in that empty fat cell to see if you are going to fill it back up. That's what causes whooshes- when you magically lose 2-3 pounds overnight. You body finally gives up and lets the water go out of those cells.

What’s going on? After fat cells had been emptied of stored triglyceride, they temporarily refill with water (glycerol attracts water, which might be part of the mechanism). So there would be no immediate change in size, body weight or appearance. Then, after some time frame, the water gets dropped and the fat cells shrink. It’s what some people refer to as a whoosh. A weird way of looking at it might be that the fat loss suddenly becomes ‘apparent’. That is, the fat is emptied and burned off days or weeks ago but until the water is dropped, nothing appears to have happened. Even with water in the fat cells, they are smaller than when they are full of fat. That's why you can lose inches and the scale not move!

Many are dealing with water retention that often occurs during fat loss which can mask fat loss and make it appear as if the chosen plan is not working.

Your weight will almost never drop consistently when dieting. It can drop 1 lb one day, then climb 2 lbs the next day. This leaves many people frustrated. They assume they aren’t making progress and abandon or switch plans prematurely.

But weight fluctuations don’t always mean you have gained or lost fat. They can be caused by a whole host of things. Don’t just rely on body weight measured by the scale. If your clothes are looser and you look better in the mirror, congratulate yourself – even if your weight on the scales has gone up or not moved for awhile.

Daily weight fluctuations are just a natural part of losing weight, but moreso with JUDDD by nature of the plan. By understanding what causes them you can take a more objective look at your weight before you are tempted to give up.

Your scale may not be your BFF today, but those smaller jeans, the compliments from a stranger, your doctor marveling at your lower blood pressure, those admiring glances from your spouse etc., aren't all of those wonderous happenings worth continuing on? I think the answer to that is a resounding YES!

Last edited by sungoddess; 03-25-2012 at 10:00 AM..
sungoddess is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-25-2012, 10:51 AM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
Beverly, everything you said is so important and so critical to successful, long-term weight loss and health. Understanding how fat cells and body hydration interact - I still have a lot to learn there. But LC and JUDDD have convinced me that understanding is really critical to health!

Thank you.

Last edited by gotsomeold; 03-25-2012 at 10:53 AM..
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 10:59 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: annieS
WOE: vegetarian/JUDDD
Start Date: january to march 2011 / 2nd start 16 feb 2012

I have such a love/hate relationship with my scale.... but everything you're saying here is absolutely true !
annieS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 11:20 AM   #4
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/124/126 5'3" Age 66
WOE: JUDDD/5:2
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
Precisely Beverley. We diet to become slimmer, not to weigh less.

Your friend wouldn't be pleased if the scales showed a loss but her clothes were still tight.

Baggy Pant Syndrome is the object surely?
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 11:25 AM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: sterlinggirl
Stats: 225/166/165 47 5'9
WOE: JUDDD FOR LIFE!
Start Date: Jan 2012. Name Kimberly
i loved the way you explained it so clear! I understood exactally what happens now.. i love it and love my JUDDD BUDDDs
sterlinggirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 01:30 PM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Jbinme
WOE: JUDDD
Jbinme is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 04:48 PM   #7
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: sophiethecat
Stats: 170+/135-138/145 5'6 39y pcos/IR/metformin
WOE: WL=LC then JUDDD/IF; Maintenance=IF/75%+ "healthy"
Start Date: LC 6/11; JUDDD 10/11; Maintenance 11/11
This has to be one of the BEST. POSTS. EVER.

Everyone, take heed to what Beverly said. It's what so many of us have had to learn when we came to JUDDD, even if we had lots of experience with other diets. But JUDDD somehow really gets the message through to us. The scale - she just ain't all that!

I've never learned more about my own body, types of hunger, weight gains and losses, cravings etc. than I have since I started JUDDD and become part of this forum.

Don't lose heart if you're not losing weight as fast as you'd like. Your body has a lot of work to do inside to heal itself now that you are on a woe that will let it. Love yourself, be patient with yourself.

The scale is JUST ONE TOOL. Your tape measure is cheaper, more primitive, but oh so much nicer and more truthful.
MAINTENANCE since 11/12/11, & have lost more weight. I shake things up all the time with my version of Pirate Jenny's MUDDD, my "Fast 5" & other IF. ...low-moderate fat....and eating "healthy" foods 75+% of the time which lets me have real life and indulgences too I've reached my goals, improved my health & appearance, and enjoy my lifetime woe!
sophiethecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 05:03 PM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: b_lou_who
Stats: 2014 was195/now186.9 5'7" 44
WOE: whole organic low-sugars IF vegan
Start Date: 1997
Excellent share of science and reality
b_lou_who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 06:26 PM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: krow134
Stats: 207 starting weight in 2012
WOE: Atkins
Wonderful post!!!!!! I will remember this when someone says they are quitting!!

As I said in a post of mine the other day, the tape measure doesnt bounce like that scale does!!!
krow134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 08:17 PM   #10
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: 2BoysMom
Stats: Too pissed to talk about it
WOE: Keeping it simple- Hi Fat, Mod Protein and Lo Carb
Start Date: 1.26.2004 - 1st time. This time 1.1.2014
Sticky, sticky, sticky....
2BoysMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 12:14 AM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: gotitnow
Beverly, What a wonderful post. Is it just me? Not rocket science, and so easily understood! You couldn't have said it better. Thank you. We just want everyone to "get it"!!! Don't we?

Phyl
gotitnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 04:59 AM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Alcestis
Stats: 210/169/155 5' 8"
Start Date: December 13th, 2011
Wonderful post. JUDDD has helped me see the scale as a mere informational tool instead of a moral compass. My mood and self-worth are no longer tied to what number I see every morning. In fact, this is the first time in my life I've chosen to weigh every day because I'm not scared of what I'll see anymore. The scale, she bounces!!!!
Alcestis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 08:21 AM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: DD80
Stats: 188/165.0/145 5'10"
WOE: Organic GrassFed Gluten-Free 5/13 Dairy Free 2/14
Start Date: 1/10/12 Medi, 2/9/12 First UD, 1/1/13 New Plan
Thank you for this post. I *know* this stuff, but sometimes, when the scale is bouncing up, it is hard to remember.

I was down to 166.8 last Tuesday. I was so excited because I really was losing weight. I felt like I finally hit my JUDDD groove. Yesterday morning, my weight was 170.0...up a decade. So disappointing. But, I keep trying to remember that my clothes don't seem tighter - they still feel as loose as they did a week ago. I know it's water...I can feel it...I'm not peeing that much for how much I drink. Today was 168.7 after a DD. Not back to a week ago, but trending in the right direction.

Point is...who knows why our bodies store or release water at any given time? I started my pill pack last Sunday, so that's probably why I'm retaining - but knowing that doesn't make it any less frustrating when it happens!
DD80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 09:34 AM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: vanilla_latte
Stats: Weigh/Too/Much!
WOE: Atkins '72
Start Date: Oh, ya know..every morning!
I SO needed this today.

I had an UD Friday, didn't eat much, got on the scale Saturday morning and was up 3 lbs.

Frustrated? You betcha. Big time since I'd lost 3 lbs. just on Wednesday for my first week back on JUDDD. I kept the "The Scale, She Bounces" mantra going. I know the scale lies, but dang. Had a medium day yesterday but the scales are still up today.

I can see some visual changes in the mirror, but the inches aren't really coming off and clothes aren't really all that noticeable as far as getting bigger.

It is a bit frustrating. Okay, not a bit .. a LOT!

vanilla_latte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 09:56 AM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: b_lou_who
Stats: 2014 was195/now186.9 5'7" 44
WOE: whole organic low-sugars IF vegan
Start Date: 1997
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcestis View Post
My mood and self-worth are no longer tied to what number I see every morning.
Absolutely love this and completely agree!
b_lou_who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 10:08 AM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanilla_latte View Post
I SO needed this today.

I had an UD Friday, didn't eat much, got on the scale Saturday morning and was up 3 lbs.

Frustrated? You betcha. Big time since I'd lost 3 lbs. just on Wednesday for my first week back on JUDDD. I kept the "The Scale, She Bounces" mantra going. I know the scale lies, but dang. Had a medium day yesterday but the scales are still up today.

I can see some visual changes in the mirror, but the inches aren't really coming off and clothes aren't really all that noticeable as far as getting bigger.

I know how you feel! But, we are all in this together. Just keep down the path!
Old 03-26-2012, 10:26 AM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DD80 View Post
I know how you feel! But, we are all in this together. Just keep down the path!
Thanks, DD, I will!
Old 03-26-2012, 10:28 AM   #18
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
I SO needed this today.

If I'm seeing your stats right, this is your 2nd week of JUDDD. Keep going, you're on the right track.
Old 03-26-2012, 10:38 AM   #19
Major LCF Poster!

Yes, it is, Sophie. I'm hanging in, thanks!
Old 03-26-2012, 10:59 AM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Mariacj
Stats: 210/173/143
WOE: JUDDD and Low Carb
Start Date: LC - Nov 2011, Judd - March 2012, LC + Judd Aug12
I was just trying to explain this yesterday! Thank you.
Mariacj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 11:06 AM   #21
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Yes, it is, Sophie. I'm hanging in, thanks!
That's great to hear

This woe takes time to get going in your body. Though some may see a loss the first week or two, there are others who take longer. It seems to indicate there are more things that JUDDD has to "fix" first inside their bodies in order to get it set up for metabolizing away the fat and inches.
Old 03-31-2012, 09:07 AM   #22
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Update

Thanks to the JUDDD BUDDDs who responded on here, my friend reconsidered and decided to stick it out. Boy is she happy she did. The scale... she dropped. Yep. She is now down five pounds! And she is thrilled.

And now she relies on the tape measure and her clothing to determine progress as well as the scale.

Thanks everyone!
Old 04-01-2012, 08:35 AM   #23
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: buttoni
Stats: 196/170/150
WOE: Atkins Start 4/09
Start Date: 4/21/09 Height 5'5", Age 64
GREAT POST! And oh, so true! Loss is never continuous, for ANYBODY. He who expects it so is doomed to frustration. Sit back, be patient and let it happen. The weight eventually comes off if you keep on program!
buttoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 08:24 AM   #24
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sophiethecat View Post
That's great to hear

This woe takes time to get going in your body. Though some may see a loss the first week or two, there are others who take longer. It seems to indicate there are more things that JUDDD has to "fix" first inside their bodies in order to get it set up for metabolizing away the fat and inches.
I was really frustrated yesterday and being I've always been a slow loser, I need hope! When I first did JUDDD, it didn't take this long to begin seeing losses, even thought I was still pretty much the same weight I am now.

Thanks for this, I needed it!
Old 04-02-2012, 08:39 AM   #25
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
I was really frustrated yesterday and being I've always been a slow loser, I need hope! When I first did JUDDD, it didn't take this long to begin seeing losses, even thought I was still pretty much the same weight I am now.

There is definitely hope! It's funny, but I even posted this and needed to read it again myself after being frustrated yesterday. Even cognitively being aware of this, not seeing the loss I want to see on the scale ticks me off!! I knew the loss would slow down, but of course I didn't want it to. Meanwhile, the pants are looser, so I know all is well in the fat loss world! Let's just keep on keeping on!
Old 04-02-2012, 09:44 AM   #26
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:

I'm frustrated myself...been bouncing around the same 3 lbs for awhile. Let myself get a bit out of hand this weekend (not terribly, just over my cals by a bit). I am happy though because even though I did go a bit crazy, I didn't jump up in weight too much, so that is some JUDDD magic right there! I

I'm waiting until after aunt flow comes to visit. I usually have good luck with a larger and more permanent loss after she's gone! We are all in this together!
Old 04-02-2012, 10:00 AM   #27
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
Ya know, I don't miss Auntie's visits one bit.
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 10:27 AM   #28
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Sheridan
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotsomeold View Post
Ya know, I don't miss Auntie's visits one bit.
Me either!
Sheridan is offline   Reply With Quote