Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   JUDDD (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/)
-   -   JUDDD and the family dinner (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/764412-juddd-family-dinner.html)

Momto2boysNJ 03-25-2012 06:27 AM

JUDDD and the family dinner

Dinners on DD's have been a struggle for me.

Well not for me. I can just eat whatever and be fine. But now I have to cook something low calorie for 3 of us or at least have the main portion of the meal be low calorie & then options.

Basically we rotate pork, poultry, beef. I don't like fish, but everyone else does.

So I was wondering, what do you cook for everyone on your down days?

adillenal 03-25-2012 06:43 AM

There are just two of us so I fix DH whatever and I don't eat or eat what I had planned that is low calorie. I certainly don't try to force him to eat a 100 calorie dinner. Now that works for me but then I am not a BIG beef eater and that is what I usually fix for DH.

krow134 03-25-2012 06:50 AM

On days that is a DD for me. I make what they like and I just take smaller measured out portions. Usually sundays are big dinner days for us. Only time through the week we all are promised to be at the same table, at the same time. I bought those Rachel Ray lazy spoons. The ones that have a notch in them so you can hang them on the side of the pot and not put them on your counter or spoon rest. I know the bigger scoop on is a 1/2 cup, I measured. So I use that to dish out my food!

Sometimes, I even make them what I hate so I can eat something different on purpose. I hate tuna casserole, deer steaks, and so on......so they get that and I get those chinese dinners from walmart, cause my family hates those. It kinda works out for me that way!!! <--- found I love those dinners, because the whole container is under 500 and it feels me up and doesnt kick in more hunger like other foods!

theredhead 03-25-2012 07:27 AM

I'm thinking you're saying that your whole family is JUDDDing, hence the need for low calorie dinners together? I agree that if that's the case, it can be tough. I'm fortunate that my DH is doing JUDDD loosely, but he mostly just fixes eggs on his DDs. He loves them and would eat them 3 X a day every day forever, lol! I also make SF Jello for him to snack on, and he'll eat my very low calorie chicken or beef veggie soup. I also fixed him the cabbage dish I like, but he prefers baby spinach. We are very boring on our DDs and eat pretty-much the same 4-5 meals and a few low calorie snacks. I tend to feel like food just doesn't matter on those days because I'm eating tomorrow. :D

adillenal 03-25-2012 07:31 AM

Guess I didn't understand that the whole family was Judding. That makes it just plain easy then. There many many low calorie website and blogs with recipes. Google away and start printing.

krow134 03-25-2012 08:00 AM

I didnt realize you meant the whole family either. Go to yahoo and search meals under 500 calories. Thats what I did when I was planning for me but they can be for the whole family too. I came across a site called ***********. They have a ton of recipes and they sound awesome. Things like slow cooker salsa chicken, cabbage noodle salad, and veggie pizza on whole wheat crust.

But if you search the meals under 500 calories, it will bring you to alot of good sites with wonderful ideas!!!!

Momto2boysNJ 03-25-2012 08:40 AM

3 of the 4 of us are Judding. LOL

DH & I are doing the 500 DD & normal calorie UD

DS #(13 yo) is kind of sort of doing Juddd. Meaning he's doing it but not to the extreme dh & I are.

DS #2 isn't Judding at all. he's 11.

Beeb 03-25-2012 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Momto2boysNJ (Post 15525083)
3 of the 4 of us are Judding. LOL

DH & I are doing the 500 DD & normal calorie UD

DS #(13 yo) is kind of sort of doing Juddd. Meaning he's doing it but not to the extreme dh & I are.

DS #2 isn't Judding at all. he's 11.

What I would do is make a nice DD meal like you would for DH and you and have an extra side or 2 for the boys. DS #1 can add a bit more food to his DD and DS #2 can just eat the extra sides along with your DD food. Even make a little more protein for the boys and eat less of it for you and DH!

HTH ;)

krow134 03-25-2012 09:06 AM

Heres one I found you can maybe try!

Lasagna

Mock Noodles
2 large eggplants , peeled, sliced lengthwise into 1/4 inch noodle-like strips
cooking spray (olive oil spray is best)
salt and pepper

Meat Sauce
1 lbs ground sirloin or 1 lbs turkey breast or 1 lbs Italian sausage
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 onions , chopped
3 cloves chopped garlic
1 red pepper , chopped
1 (16 ounce) package sliced mushrooms
2 tablespoons italian seasoning (or mix of oregano, basil and thyme)
1 teaspoon fennel seed (optional)
salt and pepper
1 teaspoon red pepper flakes (if you dare!) (optional)
1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach
1 cup red wine (optional) or 1 cup vodka (optional)
1 (28 ounce) can tomato sauce (or large jar sugar free sauce if you can find it)
1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes (for less sugar, 3 chopped roma tomatoes)

Cheese Mixture
2 cups low-fat ricotta cheese
2 eggs
3 green onions , chopped
3 cups shredded lowfat mozzarella cheese
cup parmesan cheese

Directions:
1 Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
2 Spray cookie sheet, arrange eggplant slices and season with salt and pepper.
3 Cook slices 5 minutes on each side.
4 Lower oven temp to 375.
5 Brown meat, onion and garlic in olive oil for 5 minutes.
6 Add red pepper and mushrooms, and cook 5 minutes.
7 Add spinach, tomatoes, spices and wine and simmer for 5-10 minutes.
8 Blend ricotta, egg and onion mixture.
9 Spread 1/3 of meat sauce in bottom of 9” x 13” glass pan.
10 Layer eggplant slices, ricotta, 1/3 mozzarella and parmesan.
11 Repeat.
12 Add last layer of sauce, then mozzarella and parmesan on top.
13 Cover with foil and bake at 375 degrees for 1 hour.
14 Remove foil and bake or broil another 5-10 minutes until cheese is browned.15 Let it rest 10 minutes before slicing, if you can wait that long!

Serving size 1 servings per recipe 8 calores 449 carbs 33 protein 36

edit to add: this might make a nice freeze and take meal too!! I love those, I like having things on hand for that busy what am I doing days!

b_lou_who 03-25-2012 09:10 AM

check out the Hungry Girl under 200 calories cookbook, it has tons of recipes that mostly hover around 100 cal a serving.

Momto2boysNJ 03-25-2012 09:17 AM

Speck333 03-25-2012 09:30 PM

I'm the only one doing JUDDD, but I just make a big bowl of salad or green beans, and grill or bake a lean meat to go with it. That's dinner for all of us.

Buttercup204 03-25-2012 10:07 PM

My family doesn't JUDDD with me so we tend to eat out on DDs and I get a salad with protein (chicken or fish) and light dressing on the side. It works for us as long as they know not to put their food in my face and offer it to me! They could lose a limb! Lol.

-Michelle

Momto2boysNJ 03-26-2012 04:31 AM

LOL Michelle!

sophiethecat 03-26-2012 11:28 AM

I have done it different ways.

When I first started, my DDs would be "fend for yourselves", where DH would put frozen pizzas and hot wings in the oven, or cook hamburgers or something simple. I just couldn't abide the thought of fixing all that yummy food like I usually would and not being able to eat it. I would eat whatever was my DD stuff whenever I needed it.

As I went along on JUDDD, I would eat my DD stuff but fix them a regular, normal meal and put aside some of it for me for my UD. This was when I discovered I needed lots of protein on DDs to get me through.

Then as I got more used to JUDDD, I started eating the same things I fixed for them - sometimes big, heavy meals like fried chicken, mashed potatoes, green beans, etc. I just ate a lot less of it (putting aside a bigger portion for my UD) and usually accompanied my food with a salad.

I find I can function pretty well on less protein than I was needing before on my DDs. For example, I can often eat a red grapefruit or apple by itself on DD and feel satisfied for hours. When I first started, I would have been hungry again in an hour.

So the longer on JUDDD, the easier it gets to fit the woe around your regular foods.

:jumpjoy: