Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2012, 02:21 PM   #1
lavender and lace

Gallery: Violet_Dream
Stats: 193.8/186.4/135 ~5'9"~
WOE: HCG
Start Date: 11/17/2014
Has anyone combined JUDD and Weight Watchers?

This may seem like too much work and I may be over-analyzing things, but I'm so used to counting points vs. counting calories. I was thinking of doing the same rotation and finding my niche.

I haven't started yet, am on my last round of hcg and am almost goal. More than likely, I'll do mainly low carb because I protein and veggies. Just curious and TIA!

Violet_Dream is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-24-2012, 02:48 PM   #2
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Yam-Yam
Stats: 230/191/165 @5'9"tall and 60 yrs. alive
WOE: Dukan 8/1/11 and now JUDDD
Start Date: 8/1/11 RE-start 1/1/14
Hi Violet! Yep. Me. I have and sort of am. I joined WW on line a little over a year ago and loved the on line tools and the community. Especially I love the on line tracker and I still use it for the most part.

On WW one point = appx 40 calories. So, it was very easy for me to figure out my UD/DD points. Interestingly, the average of the two days is EXACTLY the point allowance WW gave me for my daily points. That sealed the deal.

Now I can enter what I eat on the on line tracker and it figures out my points consumed. If, on a DD for example, I use 9 points, I just multiply 9 X 40 and that's 360 calories. Easy.

What I'm playing around with right now and actually doing is that I switched my setting on line to the Simply Filling Technique. I love it! Now I pretty much have the points values and portion sizes in my head from doing the DPA and WP plan for so long.

On SFT, it's much easier to make healthy choices and I'm learning even more.

When you are planning what to eat, you type in the food and the list pops up. If it has a green triangle beside it, it is a power food and on the SFT list. That means, in SFT you can eat it to satisfaction. I still count the points of course and thus the calories.

However, the biggest benefit is in finding out what has the correct micronutrients in it to qualify for SFT. For instance, I was planning to head to the store to buy salmon. I typed it in and was shocked to see how many points/calories one piece of farm raised salmon has! However, right there on the list is Wild salmon and it has a green triangle by it.

You can bet I have made darn sure ever since that when I have salmon, it's going to be Wild salmon and NOT farm raised. I usually cut the portion size in half if it's a DD. But last night when DH and I went out to dinner on my UD I ordered Wild Sockeye salmon, grilled, and the portion was really nice! Probably 7 or 8 ounces. I ate every bite of it with joy because my UD calories are so generous.

My belief is that any eating plan will work with JUDD. The measure of how I want to plan and eat my food is whether or not I enjoy it. I really enjoy WW on line and I enjoy Dr. Dukan who really got me on the fast track when I needed it (I continued to use WW even doing Dukan. I just skipped fruits and grains. On veggie days I met my Healthy Guideline Foods by using the veggies, no fruit and Dukan allows fat free dairy so I easily got that in. He also allows a couple of teaspoons of olive oil per day. So I even got in my healthy oils. )

Hope all this makes sense! I'm assuming since you asked that you are familiar with WW. I think I've chatted with you on the WW/LC thread before?

"Weight loss isn't about winning a race; it's about crossing the finish line at your own pace." -Dianna Rodriguiz

current numbers: 1975/395
goal numbers: 1700/350 (just a reminder)
Yam-Yam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 02:49 PM   #3
Blabbermouth!!!

OH! And congrats on your stunning stats and WL!!!
Old 03-24-2012, 03:05 PM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/<273/<160 (5'7")
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: restart 6/12/14 @ 289.4
Hi, I haven't tried it myself, but there's the "Wendie plan" which is a sort of calorie-cycling with WW points. HTH!
piratejenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 03:55 PM   #5
lavender and lace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yam-Yam View Post
Hi Violet! Yep. Me. I have and sort of am. I joined WW on line a little over a year ago and loved the on line tools and the community. Especially I love the on line tracker and I still use it for the most part.

On WW one point = appx 40 calories. So, it was very easy for me to figure out my UD/DD points. Interestingly, the average of the two days is EXACTLY the point allowance WW gave me for my daily points. That sealed the deal.

Now I can enter what I eat on the on line tracker and it figures out my points consumed. If, on a DD for example, I use 9 points, I just multiply 9 X 40 and that's 360 calories. Easy.

What I'm playing around with right now and actually doing is that I switched my setting on line to the Simply Filling Technique. I love it! Now I pretty much have the points values and portion sizes in my head from doing the DPA and WP plan for so long.

On SFT, it's much easier to make healthy choices and I'm learning even more.

When you are planning what to eat, you type in the food and the list pops up. If it has a green triangle beside it, it is a power food and on the SFT list. That means, in SFT you can eat it to satisfaction. I still count the points of course and thus the calories.

However, the biggest benefit is in finding out what has the correct micronutrients in it to qualify for SFT. For instance, I was planning to head to the store to buy salmon. I typed it in and was shocked to see how many points/calories one piece of farm raised salmon has! However, right there on the list is Wild salmon and it has a green triangle by it.

You can bet I have made darn sure ever since that when I have salmon, it's going to be Wild salmon and NOT farm raised. I usually cut the portion size in half if it's a DD. But last night when DH and I went out to dinner on my UD I ordered Wild Sockeye salmon, grilled, and the portion was really nice! Probably 7 or 8 ounces. I ate every bite of it with joy because my UD calories are so generous.

My belief is that any eating plan will work with JUDD. The measure of how I want to plan and eat my food is whether or not I enjoy it. I really enjoy WW on line and I enjoy Dr. Dukan who really got me on the fast track when I needed it (I continued to use WW even doing Dukan. I just skipped fruits and grains. On veggie days I met my Healthy Guideline Foods by using the veggies, no fruit and Dukan allows fat free dairy so I easily got that in. He also allows a couple of teaspoons of olive oil per day. So I even got in my healthy oils. )

Hope all this makes sense! I'm assuming since you asked that you are familiar with WW. I think I've chatted with you on the WW/LC thread before?
Thanks Yam-Yam. Yes, I'm pretty familiar with WW and orignally joined the meetings on 4/27/02. At that time, it was '"1-2-3 Success" and later became "Winning Points." I recall when the points formula only included calories, fiber (could not go calculate more than 4g of fiber even if the item had more than that because it brought the points value down) and I forget the third item. I don't feel the need to go to meetings at all because hcg really helped me changed my mindset on food and I realized that I'll always keep a food journal. Thanks for letting me know that 40 calories = 1 point. I did WW briefly last year and like the Points Plus change and that fruit is free. I recall there not being a formula for figuring out my daily points value, it had to do something with our age and I recall the booklet saying we should never go below 29 points. Is it still like that? Congrats on your weight loss as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by piratejenny View Post
Hi, I haven't tried it myself, but there's the "Wendie plan" which is a sort of calorie-cycling with WW points. HTH!

Thank you! I remember the Wendie plan very well.

Last edited by Violet_Dream; 03-24-2012 at 03:58 PM..
Old 03-24-2012, 04:27 PM   #6
Blabbermouth!!!

Violet: In December, just a few months ago, WW changed a few things. One is that they lowered DPA and now the lowest went from 29 to 26. Fruit is still free, but leaders are quick to remind everyone that does not mean you can have a "fruit free-for-all"

If I eat fruit, I try to stick to berries. Sometimes I have an apple.

Another helpful tip is about APs. 1 AP = appx 80 calories.

That would not figure in to how you do JUDD at all.

There are 2 ways I can think of that you can get your DPA (and BTW the WPA is 49 points whether you count DPAs or do SFT).

1. Go to the JUDD site calculator, put in your stats and get your UD/DD calories. Add those together and divide by 2. This will give you your average daily calories. Divide that by 40 and you will know your daily point allowance. Hopefully you got the new calculator last year because the old Winning pts slide one is not accurate with the new Points Plus plan.

2. Attend one WW meeting only and stay for the intro to new people after the meeting. The leader will calculate your DPA and give it to you. You will get a tracker as well that will be helpful and you can make your own version of it at home for your use after that.
Old 03-24-2012, 04:29 PM   #7
Blabbermouth!!!

Also, looks like you are almost at goal!

If I was close to goal, I might assume 26 DPA and then when you get to maintenance, add 6 points.
Old 03-24-2012, 04:34 PM   #8
lavender and lace

Thanks Yam-Yam. I put in my numbers for a weight of 140, height of 5'10" (70"), age 42 and I chose the moderate exericse (3-5 days per week and the 45% weight loss/maintenance mode it gave me 2164 UD/974.DD. Added these two together, divided by two and I got 3138, divided by two and I got 1569. Multiplied by 40 and I got 62760. Does that mean I ge 63 points per day? How do you calculate the amount I eat in points on my UD and DDs? Thank you for all your help.

I had the Points Plus calculator from last year and tossed it because I didn't think I'd ever do WW again. That's okay, I'll get a new one.

Last edited by Violet_Dream; 03-24-2012 at 05:13 PM..
Old 03-24-2012, 04:55 PM   #9
lavender and lace

Okay, I took 24 x 40 and got 960 calories (DD is 975). It looks like I get 102 points on my UDs. That can't be right. I'm confused.

Last edited by Violet_Dream; 03-24-2012 at 05:14 PM..
Old 03-24-2012, 05:21 PM   #10
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

You're multiplying where you should be dividing, I think.

2164÷40=54pts (UD)
45% of that is 24pts
Old 03-24-2012, 05:33 PM   #11
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
2164 UD/974.DD. Added these two together...and I got 3138, divided by two and I got 1569
1569÷40=39 (pts)
39×2=78 (pts for 2 days)
54+24 (as calculated above) =78

Old 03-24-2012, 06:48 PM   #12
Blabbermouth!!!

Violet: I put in your stats, chose 45% maintenance, 3-5 days exercise and here's what I got: UD=2178 (if you divide that total by 40 you get your points on UDs which are 54)

DD calories = 980 divided by 40 = 24 points on DDs

If you average these together you get 39 daily points if you were not JUDDING.

Keep in mind, most people do NOT choose the exercise options because there is a consensus here that they are too high. If you took that away and choose little or no exercise, you would come closer to your WW daily maintenance points of 36.

Remember, I mentioned that WWs usually adds 6 or so points when you hit maintaining mode.

So, you see, you will have plenty of points to nourish you on UDs so you can make it through the DDs.

When I originally plugged my numbers in I figured it out to 55 points on my UD or 2200 calories. And, that's in WLM!!!

I have since changed my UD calories to 1900 because a.) I lost weight and re-calculated and b.) I read a piece of advice from someone who put a weight in that was mid-way between her goal wt. and her current wt. and she started losing faster.

That's been my experience and I'm sticking with it!

I don't think I ever used all the 55 pts on an UD anyway, but it surely gave me freedom to have a bit of wine and some other treats I would never have if I was eating a daily low cal plan.
Old 03-24-2012, 06:49 PM   #13
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yam-Yam View Post
Violet: In December, just a few months ago, WW changed a few things. One is that they lowered DPA and now the lowest went from 29 to 26. Fruit is still free, but leaders are quick to remind everyone that does not mean you can have a "fruit free-for-all"

If I eat fruit, I try to stick to berries. Sometimes I have an apple.

Another helpful tip is about APs. 1 AP = appx 80 calories.

That would not figure in to how you do JUDD at all.

There are 2 ways I can think of that you can get your DPA (and BTW the WPA is 49 points whether you count DPAs or do SFT).

1. Go to the JUDD site calculator, put in your stats and get your UD/DD calories. Add those together and divide by 2. This will give you your average daily calories. Divide that by 40 and you will know your daily point allowance. Hopefully you got the new calculator last year because the old Winning pts slide one is not accurate with the new Points Plus plan.

2. Attend one WW meeting only and stay for the intro to new people after the meeting. The leader will calculate your DPA and give it to you. You will get a tracker as well that will be helpful and you can make your own version of it at home for your use after that.
Just highlighted the "divide by 40" in bold. I agree that if you accidentally multiply, you will get a sky high number!
Old 03-24-2012, 08:49 PM   #14
lavender and lace

Thank you! I got the same numbers and 24 for a DD is a lot. Years ago, I got 27 per day (with the old formula) and that was a lot food. I'm excited to start and would find plenty of things to use up the 54 points. Nine more pounds to go and I can end this hcg round.
Old 03-24-2012, 09:51 PM   #15
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violet_Dream View Post
Thank you! I got the same numbers and 24 for a DD is a lot. Years ago, I got 27 per day (with the old formula) and that was a lot food. I'm excited to start and would find plenty of things to use up the 54 points. Nine more pounds to go and I can end this hcg round.
You got it, Girl!! you have a plan!!! Wooo-Hooo!
Old 03-25-2012, 01:24 PM   #16
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/137/126 5'3" Age 67
WOE: JUDDD restart 8/25/2014
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
What a fund of information you are Yam-Yam. It is 20 or more years since I did WW, and very few 'white' carbs were allowed back then.

Interesting.

Looks as if you are sorted Violet!
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote