Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-23-2012, 07:46 PM   #1
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: sophiethecat
Stats: 170+/135-138/145 5'6 39y pcos/IR/metformin
WOE: WL=LC then JUDDD/IF; Maintenance=IF/75%+ "healthy"
Start Date: LC 6/11; JUDDD 10/11; Maintenance 11/11
More Studies on Health Benefits

Intermittent versus daily calorie restriction: which diet regimen is more effective for weight loss?

Dietary restriction is an effective strategy for weight loss in obese individuals. The most common form of dietary restriction implemented is daily calorie restriction (CR), which involves reducing energy by 15-60% of usual caloric intake every day.

Another form of dietary restriction employed is intermittent CR, which involves 24 hours of ad libitum food consumption alternated with 24 hours of complete or partial food restriction. <<has similarities to JUDDD & MUDDD <<

Although both diets are effective for weight loss, it remains unknown whether one of these interventions produces superior changes in body weight and body composition when compared to the other. Accordingly, this review examines the effects of daily CR versus intermittent CR on weight loss, fat mass loss and lean mass retention in overweight and obese adults.

Results reveal similar weight loss and fat mass loss with 3 to 12 weeks' intermittent CR (4-8%, 11-16%, respectively) and daily CR (5-8%, 10-20%, respectively). In contrast, less fat free mass was lost in response to intermittent CR versus daily CR. These findings suggest that these diets are equally as effective in decreasing body weight and fat mass, although intermittent CR may be more effective for the retention of lean mass. <<that fat-burning, muscle-sparing effect<<

Department of Kinesiology and Nutrition, University of Illinois at Chicago, Chicago, IL, USA.

~~~~~~~~~

2012 Mar 13.

Calorie Restriction Reduces the Influence of Glucoregulatory Dysfunction on Regional Brain Volume in Aged Rhesus Monkeys.
Willette AA, Bendlin BB, Colman RJ, Kastman EK, Field AS, Alexander AL, Sridharan A, Allison DB, Anderson R, Voytko ML, Kemnitz JW, Weindruch RH, Johnson SC.
Source

Geriatric Research Education and Clinical Center, William S. Middleton Memorial Veterans Hospital, Madison, Wisconsin.
Abstract

Insulin signaling dysregulation is related to neural atrophy in hippocampus and other areas affected by neurovascular and neurodegenerative disorders. It is not known if long-term calorie restriction (CR) can ameliorate this relationship through improved insulin signaling or if such an effect might influence task learning and performance.

To model this hypothesis, magnetic resonance imaging was conducted on 27 CR and 17 control rhesus monkeys aged 19-31 years from a longitudinal study. Voxel-based regression analyses were used to associate insulin sensitivity with brain volume and microstructure cross-sectionally. Monkey motor assessment panel (mMAP) performance was used as a measure of task performance.

CR improved glucoregulation parameters and related indices. Higher insulin sensitivity predicted more gray matter in parietal and frontal cortices across groups. An insulin sensitivity × dietary condition interaction indicated that CR animals had more gray matter in hippocampus and other areas per unit increase relative to controls, suggesting a beneficial effect. Finally, bilateral hippocampal volume adjusted by insulin sensitivity, but not volume itself, was significantly associated with mMAP learning and performance.

These results suggest that CR improves glucose regulation and may positively influence specific brain regions and at least motor task performance. Additional studies are warranted to validate these relationships.
MAINTENANCE since 11/12/11, & have lost more weight. I shake things up all the time with my version of Pirate Jenny's MUDDD, my "Fast 5" & other IF. ...low-moderate fat....and eating "healthy" foods 75+% of the time which lets me have real life and indulgences too I've reached my goals, improved my health & appearance, and enjoy my lifetime woe!

Last edited by sophiethecat; 03-23-2012 at 07:49 PM..
sophiethecat is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-23-2012, 09:12 PM   #2
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Speck333
WOE: Semi-Primal
It took me a long time to gather enough evidence to make me believe that low carb was the healthiest way to eat. It's not taking near as long to convince me of the health benefits of IF. I think JUDDD + Primal is the just about the healthiest thing I can be doing for me. I'm thoroughly convinced.

Thanks for the research, Sophie!
Speck333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 09:15 PM   #3
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Yam-Yam
Stats: 230/191/165 @5'9"tall and 60 yrs. alive
WOE: Dukan 8/1/11 and now JUDDD
Start Date: 8/1/11 RE-start 1/1/14
Great! That's a really recent study. More proof of good benefits.
Yam-Yam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 03:45 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mattsmama
Stats: 188/129.2/135 5'8" 42 yo
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: JUDDD-11/11 to present (LC-5/11-11/11)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speck333 View Post
It took me a long time to gather enough evidence to make me believe that low carb was the healthiest way to eat. It's not taking near as long to convince me of the health benefits of IF. I think JUDDD + Primal is the just about the healthiest thing I can be doing for me. I'm thoroughly convinced.

Thanks for the research, Sophie!
Agreed!! Although I don't eat primally, I do eat mostly whole foods (with the occasional treat thrown in for good measure), and I feel amazing.

Thank you so much, Sophie!!! I am slowly building up my JUDDD "library".
mattsmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 06:08 AM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
Wow! Thanks for posting!
gotsomeold is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 06:40 AM   #6
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/150/150 (per Dr., stop losing!)
WOE: Whatever plan keeps me around 150 lbs!
Very interesting stuff here. Thanks for sharing.
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote