Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-23-2012, 05:42 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: fixin
Stats: 5 ft 9 140/128/130
WOE: cycling carbs and calories (JUDD Enthusiast)
My Guy is a Judding

I wanted to start a thread so I can make updates as things progress.

Week 1 in the bag. On the whole, it went well.

I have posted here before but a quick refresher:

I'm not Judding as I am under goal weight and happy with my own way of cycling up cals and carbs. My husband lost 35 pounds four years ago going low carb. He has kept it all off even eating tons of low carb calories, creamy low carb deserts every night and nuts galore. I mean sometimes thousands of calories in nuts per day! He doesn't really have a full switch it seems that tells him when to stop.

He still had ten or fifteen pounds to go to get to optimum weight but he was happy with where he was at and so was I. But...he has a blood pressure issue that is getting a bit worse each year. I talked to him recently about the idea of cycling his calories in a semi Judd style (that I learned about here) so he could lose the last ten/twelve pounds and see if his body liked it better BP wise. He said "sure" so long as he was able to get full, still have deserts and even snacks. He's not the least bit interested in the idea of fasting or feeling hungry.

I make all his meals so this was up to me. I love cooking and trying new things so on to a fun new challenge.

Our loose Judd plan for him is to have Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays as DD's of 1000 calories or less and once he gets to goal weight, he'll only do two of these DD's a week and low carb the rest as he loves low carb, high cal foods. I know that's different but I think it might work uniquely for him.

Week 1 - He got to stay below his DD numbers pretty easily I think. I don't count everything but have a general good idea.

Suppers - He loved the chicken, cabbage and laughing cow dish. Tonight DD was the sweet and sour sauce made with Walden Farms pancake dressing, gluc noodles and extra lean beef. It was a big hit!

Deserts - these have been gluc puddings, meringues and I'm about to try out Beep's pumpkin pie on him. I need more desert ideas! I made the the oat fiber chocolate muffin for his afternoon snack today and it really filled him up.

Lunches - I send them to work with him. Joseph's pitas - stuffed with lean turkey, fat free mayo and lots of lettuce. He ate these pitas on low carb but with lots of mayo and cheese too. I made deviled eggs today for his DD lunch with only whites. He liked them pretty well. Low fat cottage cheese salads seem to suit him well at work too.

Breakfasts - surprisingly they've been the hardest. He doesn't like the egg white scrambles so much... he's polite about it but tells the truth. He didn't like the egg white baked custard I made either. Today he did enjoy the whey smoothie though. I'll have to find other things.

He doesn't weigh often. Today he said his pants felt looser. I can see the difference in his face already. Definitely a leaner look after just three DDs! He'll weigh in a week or so and see what the scale reveals. I'm thinking he might drop pretty quickly being a guy... and speaking of that, are there any guys on this forum that chime in?

He's going to eat popcorn at the movies on Sunday and have a complete cheat meal tomorrow so that might even things out LOL.

Thanks for all the good support here. What a wonderful forum and so encouraging too.
fixin is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-23-2012, 05:48 PM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ouizoid
Stats: 225/165/145
WOE: JUDDD
Fixin--I love my almond milk gluc smoothies for breakfast. I cup almond milk, 1/4 c strawberry davincis syrup, 4 frozen strawberries and a tsp gluc powder. Blend and serve. Could add some protein powder too. Mine are about 50 calories and very filling.
ouizoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 05:50 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: oropendola
Stats: 221.4/186.6/160
WOE: Belly Fat Cure -> JUDDD -> JUDDD + DrK
Start Date: January 2, 2012 -> March 8 -> July 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by fixin View Post
I wanted to start a thread so I can make updates as things progress.

Week 1 in the bag. On the whole, it went well.

I have posted here before but a quick refresher:

I'm not Judding as I am under goal weight and happy with my own way of cycling up cals and carbs. My husband lost 35 pounds four years ago going low carb. He has kept it all off even eating tons of low carb calories, creamy low carb deserts every night and nuts galore. I mean sometimes thousands of calories in nuts per day! He doesn't really have a full switch it seems that tells him when to stop.

He still had ten or fifteen pounds to go to get to optimum weight but he was happy with where he was at and so was I. But...he has a blood pressure issue that is getting a bit worse each year. I talked to him recently about the idea of cycling his calories in a semi Judd style (that I learned about here) so he could lose the last ten/twelve pounds and see if his body liked it better BP wise. He said "sure" so long as he was able to get full, still have deserts and even snacks. He's not the least bit interested in the idea of fasting or feeling hungry.

I make all his meals so this was up to me. I love cooking and trying new things so on to a fun new challenge.

Our loose Judd plan for him is to have Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays as DD's of 1000 calories or less and once he gets to goal weight, he'll only do two of these DD's a week and low carb the rest as he loves low carb, high cal foods. I know that's different but I think it might work uniquely for him.

Week 1 - He got to stay below his DD numbers pretty easily I think. I don't count everything but have a general good idea.

Suppers - He loved the chicken, cabbage and laughing cow dish. Tonight DD was the sweet and sour sauce made with Walden Farms pancake dressing, gluc noodles and extra lean beef. It was a big hit!

Deserts - these have been gluc puddings, meringues and I'm about to try out Beep's pumpkin pie on him. I need more desert ideas! I made the the oat fiber chocolate muffin for his afternoon snack today and it really filled him up.

Lunches - I send them to work with him. Joseph's pitas - stuffed with lean turkey, fat free mayo and lots of lettuce. He ate these pitas on low carb but with lots of mayo and cheese too. I made deviled eggs today for his DD lunch with only whites. He liked them pretty well. Low fat cottage cheese salads seem to suit him well at work too.

Breakfasts - surprisingly they've been the hardest. He doesn't like the egg white scrambles so much... he's polite about it but tells the truth. He didn't like the egg white baked custard I made either. Today he did enjoy the whey smoothie though. I'll have to find other things.

He doesn't weigh often. Today he said his pants felt looser. I can see the difference in his face already. Definitely a leaner look after just three DDs! He'll weigh in a week or so and see what the scale reveals. I'm thinking he might drop pretty quickly being a guy... and speaking of that, are there any guys on this forum that chime in?

He's going to eat popcorn at the movies on Sunday and have a complete cheat meal tomorrow so that might even things out LOL.

Thanks for all the good support here. What a wonderful forum and so encouraging too.
It sounds like you have a good plan. For DD breakfasts I usually do an Almond hot cereal.
1/2 C almond milk
1/2 C water
1 tsp gluc powder
1 pkt Splenda
a pinch of salt

Mix in a magic bullet then microwave for 55 seconds. You can add any of the SF syrups to it for flavor. I find I like it plain. 20 calories
Sometimes I use this as a snack too.
oropendola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 06:38 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

OK, I'll try the gluc pudding idea on him for breakfast. Thanks to both of you for suggesting it.
Old 03-23-2012, 09:28 PM   #5
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Yam-Yam
Stats: 230/191/165 @5'9"tall and 60 yrs. alive
WOE: Dukan 8/1/11 and now JUDDD
Start Date: 8/1/11 RE-start 1/1/14
Hi fixn: Did you try the oatbran pancakes yet? I get sugar free pancake syrup and just ordered some of the Davinci syrups from Netrition as well but they have not come yet. I buy that Smart heart butter made with Omega 3 oil and DH really likes it. I also get the SF HWC in a can. He thinks that's a real treat with the SF jello cups.

I also warm up frozen blueberries in a bowel and then mix in Greek yogurt and he likes that at breakfast.

You are doing a really good job! I think I told you, my DH is down 19.2 pounds so far and 2 inches off his waist. He's like me now and weighs every morning and sometimes at night, too! I may have created a monster!

"Weight loss isn't about winning a race; it's about crossing the finish line at your own pace." -Dianna Rodriguiz

current numbers: 2000/400
goal numbers: 1700/350 (just a reminder)
Yam-Yam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 04:01 AM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
Great news Fixin!
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 05:15 AM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: sterlinggirl
Stats: 225/166/165 47 5'9
WOE: JUDDD FOR LIFE!
Start Date: Jan 2012. Name Kimberly
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yam-Yam View Post
Hi fixn: Did you try the oatbran pancakes yet? I get sugar free pancake syrup and just ordered some of the Davinci syrups from Netrition as well but they have not come yet. I buy that Smart heart butter made with Omega 3 oil and DH really likes it. I also get the SF HWC in a can. He thinks that's a real treat with the SF jello cups.

I also warm up frozen blueberries in a bowel and then mix in Greek yogurt and he likes that at breakfast.

You are doing a really good job! I think I told you, my DH is down 19.2 pounds so far and 2 inches off his waist. He's like me now and weighs every morning and sometimes at night, too! I may have created a monster!
Great job helping your hubby achive his goal.. Mine decided to give it a try in Jan and in part with him on a plan and my self at the same time seamed to be the magic pill for me..He has never tryed to lose weight(drinks alot of beer)I decided to put mine on a moderate carb intake.. even with the carbs from his beer.. just changing the types of foods i fed to him he has lost 18 pounds since the first of the year.. tons of nuts and porkrinds for his snacks.. He seams to eat all the time.. and is never hungry..I tryed to encourge him to add RICE back into our foods and he refusses!! He says.. way to many carbs! i too have created a monster One of the hardest things for him to over come is that darn scale! If he dont see a steady loss he gets rather bummed, and i have to try and keep him motavated with the whole (the scale will catch up) this moring he dropped another 3 pounds for the week and is lol.. its so great to share this weight loss journey with him
sterlinggirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 06:51 AM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: laceylady
Stats: 16w(190)/size 14(175)/size 12
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Jan 2012/restart May 2013
I may be just speaking without really knowing a lot of facts, but does it seem as though JUDDD is easier for couples to do together?? I couldn't get DH to do LC at all but with JUDDD he's doing really well and enjoying the loss of 20 pounds so far. It's so much easier for me to stick to plan when he isn't wanting "fast food" cuz I'd be right there with him. I'm so glad we found something we can do together and achieve such good and healthy results. YAY JUDDD!
laceylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 07:01 AM   #9
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/155.4/135??, 5'9", 41 y.o., Hypothyroid
WOE: Back to JUDDD!
Mine's doing it with me, but still looking at other options. He doesn't really like to "count" and he does most of the cooking, so I don't control what he eats. He has an appt. with a doctor in a couple of weeks, exploring WLS. I figure whatever gets him healthy and happy, I'll absolutely support him.
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 07:09 AM   #10
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: adillenal
I don't blame him not liking the egg white omelets but I can tolerate using one whole egg with 2 additional egg whites. Makes it "almost" like all whole eggs.
adillenal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 08:07 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yam-Yam View Post

Thanks for keeping the tips coming. Haven't tried the oat bran pancakes yet. I looked up oat bran and it is slightly lower than oatmeal in cals but not more than 20 per serving. I already make the oat pancakes in a similar way but with oatmeal, was wanting something even lower cal for his down days. I received my oat fiber yesterday and I'm going to try the pancake recipe using this oat fiber in place of oats/oatbran...we'll see what happens.

We use the Smart Balance too, along with real butter on higher days. Love that on the pancakes with sugar free syrup... oh yeah!

I wish my husband liked blueberries. He's quite particular. He does like strawberries so I am going to have to try and incorporate those in his breakfasts.
Old 03-24-2012, 08:10 AM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlinggirl View Post
Great job helping your hubby achive his goal.. Mine decided to give it a try in Jan and in part with him on a plan and my self at the same time seamed to be the magic pill for me..He has never tryed to lose weight(drinks alot of beer)I decided to put mine on a moderate carb intake.. even with the carbs from his beer.. just changing the types of foods i fed to him he has lost 18 pounds since the first of the year.. tons of nuts and porkrinds for his snacks.. He seams to eat all the time.. and is never hungry..I tryed to encourge him to add RICE back into our foods and he refusses!! He says.. way to many carbs! i too have created a monster One of the hardest things for him to over come is that darn scale! If he dont see a steady loss he gets rather bummed, and i have to try and keep him motavated with the whole (the scale will catch up) this moring he dropped another 3 pounds for the week and is lol.. its so great to share this weight loss journey with him
My husband lost weight eating tons of nuts too. But it stalled out after 35 pounds. These last ten or so don't want to move with nuts in everyday.

It's awesome that your husband is doing so well. Sounds like he's hooked... 3 pounds in a week is huge. Men seem to drop easier. They have less fat cells so it makes sense.

My husband also enjoys Michelob Ulrta light beer from time to time. Way less carbs in that.

Last edited by fixin; 03-24-2012 at 08:11 AM..
Old 03-24-2012, 02:34 PM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: theredhead
Stats: 229/147/145
WOE: Atkins/hCG/maintaining EASILY with JUDDD
Start Date: 09/04/03
My DH had never dieted before I started low carbing over 8 years ago. He saw me losing and decided that he wanted to give it a try. And the rest, as they say, is history. He lost about 80 pounds and then stalled out, just like me. Then I researched hCG and decided to do it. He was eager to join in and lost to his goal. We've both struggled to maintain as low as we'd like, so I decided to try JUDDD. He was right there with me, but didn't like the idea of counting calories. Now he just has his "lower" calorie days, and eats what he wants on his UDs and is maintaining within five pounds of his goal. Can't complain!
Click here for our fatties pics!
And another old one

Click here for a new picture.
And another newer one
theredhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 03:32 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theredhead View Post
My DH had never dieted before I started low carbing over 8 years ago. He saw me losing and decided that he wanted to give it a try. And the rest, as they say, is history. He lost about 80 pounds and then stalled out, just like me. Then I researched hCG and decided to do it. He was eager to join in and lost to his goal. We've both struggled to maintain as low as we'd like, so I decided to try JUDDD. He was right there with me, but didn't like the idea of counting calories. Now he just has his "lower" calorie days, and eats what he wants on his UDs and is maintaining within five pounds of his goal. Can't complain!
Awesome story, thanks for sharing.
Old 03-24-2012, 04:10 PM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Avicenna
Stats: 215/190's/somewhere in the 170's
WOE: 30 day whole food challenge
Start Date: July 2011 (JUDDD in February 2012)
Hi,

I just wanted to say that I think it's really nice of you to go to all that effort to plan out these meals for him, especially because it can be really tough planning substantial meals that are really low calorie (let alone palatable substantial meals that are really low calorie).
Avicenna is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 05:03 PM   #16
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Yam-Yam
Stats: 230/191/165 @5'9"tall and 60 yrs. alive
WOE: Dukan 8/1/11 and now JUDDD
Start Date: 8/1/11 RE-start 1/1/14
It actually becomes quite fun, IMO. Especially on my DDs because I get pretty creative.

I like making up recipes using things I have.

Here is something I thought up today and it's awesome:

Cauliflower
Frozen OreIda hashbrowns (these are just shredded potatoes, frozen, nothing added.
About 1 TBLS light sour cream
half cup low sodium fat free chicken broth
one or two teaspoons Smart Balance buttery spread

2 Zip-n-Steam bags

What to do:
Chop up cauliflower and put in ZnS bag, seal shut, toss it in microwave correct side down and microwave per instructions for fresh cauliflower on bag (it gives instructions for half bag and full bag portions). About 4-6 minutes.

While that's happening, place about the same amount of the frozen shredded potatoes in another ZnS bag and seal. Don't add anything. Pop in microwave per instructions for "all frozen veggies" on outside of bag. Appx 4 minutes.

While those are nuking, get out your rolling pin. While cauliflower is still in bag, roll the rolling pin over the bag while it is still sealed to "Mash" the cauliflower.

Do the same with the potatoes when they come out.

Put Smart Balance in medium sized skillet and start to melt it over med/high heat. At the same time, dump in the potatoes and cauliflower. Reduce heat. Add chicken broth. Using a hand held potato masher or large fork, continue to mash and stir cauliflower and potatoes and then add the sour cream.

At this point you can either let it simmer or eat as is OR you can spray a small casserole dish, heat the oven to 350 or so.

Sprinkle a bit of finely grated Mexican cheese blend (or not) on the top and sprinkle with basil and paprika if you like.

Put it in the oven and bake for about 20 minutes or until the cheese is nicely melted and even a little brown.

DH loved it BTW!!

In addition I: Poured the rest of the chicken broth in the empty skillet. Mixed up some cornstarch and water. Brought the chicken broth to a boil and sprinkled in some course ground pepper and a little garlic salt w/ parsley flakes. Stir in the cornstarch/water mix and let this thicken. Added some fresh mushrooms and leftover lean turkey breast (from the turkey I had roasted on Thursday). Let it heat through and served it with a serving of steamed brocolli and a side salad.

Yum!!

the potato casserole tastes like mashed potatoes only better because it has a bit of that nice little lumpy crunch factor I sooooooo love.
Yam-Yam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 05:57 AM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Today will be my DH's 5th Down day. He has lost five pounds already. I didn't think he'd weigh so soon but his pants are now much looser so he got on the scale and wow!

This Monday, Wednesday and Friday loose Judd seems to be working just fine for him. He is enjoying all the foods now and stays quite full on about 900 cal dd's.

I made meringue cookies the other day with Truvia that I really liked but he thought were just okay. Last night I made some chocolate ones but my house was too humid so the meringue mix wouldn't get stiff enough. I baked them anyway and my husband loves them. They are flat, crisp, sweet little chocolate wafers. The cals in them are pittence! I am going to have to repeat this mistake on purpose to keep my husband excited.
Old 03-28-2012, 07:31 AM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: KathyL
Stats: 205/118-122/125 5'4" Age 53
WOE: low glycemic index in 2011 JUDDD in 2012
Start Date: January 2011
Ooooh, can you share the recipe for the meringue cookies? I just committed to helping my dh and I need to do some planning. He works nights (desk job) and little things like this that he can munch a few of with coffee when things are slow would be great.

This thread is giving me some good ideas for him.
KathyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 08:22 AM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathyL View Post
Ooooh, can you share the recipe for the meringue cookies? I just committed to helping my dh and I need to do some planning. He works nights (desk job) and little things like this that he can munch a few of with coffee when things are slow would be great.

This thread is giving me some good ideas for him.
Sure. I beat 4 egg whites with 1/4 tsp xanthan gum or you could use cream of Tatar. But if you want them like wafers stop beating before it's too stiff. The meringue mix was leaving good waves but not nearly so stiff that you could turn the bowl upside down and it wouldn't fall out (which is how the mix should normally end up).

Grind 10 tsp of Truvia in a coffe grinder and slowly add to the meringue mix half way through beating along with a dash of vanilla, 1/4 cup cocoa and 2 packets of Splenda. Keep beating until all ingredients are combined well.

Put cookie sized dollops of mix onto parchment lined baking tray and bake at 300 for 25 minutes. Turn off oven and let cookies dry out more in the oven for a couple more hours. These are a real treat with a small squirt of fat free redi whip.

I'm going to make this idea as ginger snaps today . Too fun.

Last edited by fixin; 03-28-2012 at 08:28 AM.. Reason: Errors
Old 03-28-2012, 08:32 AM   #20
Senior LCF Member

BTW, can anyone calculate the calories for a batch of these? I am not great on working all that but I'm sure it would have to be less than 100 cals for the entire batch. So four wafers would be less than than 15?
Old 03-28-2012, 10:47 AM   #21
Senior LCF Member

I should mention in the meringue wafer recipe above, there is a cooling mouth effect from the erythritol in the truvia. My husband is not bothered by it but you coul use a different sweetener like Splenda to avoid that.