Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   JUDDD (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/)
-   -   Coco for Coconut oil??~ (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/764199-coco-coconut-oil.html)

sterlinggirl 03-23-2012 01:06 PM

Coco for Coconut oil??~

Kind of :stars: I keep reading about this Coconut oil ya all cook with or put in your coffee.. What are the bennifts of injesting this? Has any one really seen a posative use for this or is it just one of those things ya decided to use due to its a healthy oil for cooking? :dunno: Kind of :stars: Thanks for any help ya give in reguards to this item:)

SoHappy 03-23-2012 01:49 PM

I use coconut oil a little bit, but mostly just to add a bit of fat to a skillet, and even that only occasionally. This oil is a medium-chain fatty acid, but so is butter! and butter is actually my choice. I go through a lot of it. A lot of it. :laugh:

Here is a little blurb about Medium Chain Triglycerides to give you a bit of info:

"..........Dietary fats come in the form of triglycerides, each containing three fatty acid chains. These chains can be anywhere from 2 Ė 22 carbon atoms long. Most of the fatty acids in Western diets are long chain, with 12 or more carbons in the chain. Medium chain fatty acids have between 6 and 10 carbons. Because of their shorter length they are metabolized differently.

MCTs resemble carbohydrates more than they do fats. They are more water soluble. Because of this they donít require bile to break down, and they are broken down more quickly. They enter the blood stream faster and are taken directly to the liver, where they are used as an immediate source of energy. Less MCTs are converted to fat than longer fatty acids.
Where are they found, and what are they good for?

MCTs are found in milk fat, palm oil and coconut oil. They are also made commercially and are available as liquid or capsules. The commercial formulas donít hold up well to cooking, because heat makes them oxidize and break down, but they can be used as al salad dressing or taken as a supplement.

Since the 1950s MCTs have been used as part of the formula for patients who can not digest fats properly due to illness. They are given in IV units to people who need parenteral nutrition. These include people suffering from severe trauma such as burns, or newborn babies who need supplemental nutrition. People suffering from jaundice, Crohns disease, celiacs, cystic fibrosis, pancreatitis and other illnesses may get MCTs as a supplement to their diet.

In the 1980s MCTs became a popular source of energy for people engaged in high-level sports such as bikers or marathoners. High carbohydrate diets had been popular for providing quick energy, but carbs also stimulate insulin, which causes your body to deposit fat. MCTs provide quick energy as well, but since they are a fat and not a carb, they donít stimulate insulin, and you donít have the problem with weight gain. MCTs do stimulate thermogenesis, which is the process where your body produces heat by increased burning of fat. This is a good thing for people who are trying to lose fat.

People who suffer from epileptic seizures have been shown to benefit from a diet high in MCTs. They also tend to lower blood sugar slightly, and this is beneficial for diabetics. They have been shown to be antioxidants and have anticoagulative effects, which can help with heart disease.
Why donít I just start eating a diet of strictly MCTs?

Before you start adding palm oil to your food and thinking the fat will just melt off, you should know that to get any meaningful weight loss you would need to eat about half your calories in the form of MCTs. For a typical adult male we are talking about 1200 or so calories a day of fat. Thatís about 130 grams of fat per day. Fats should only make up about 30% of your calories each day, or for that adult male eating 2400 calories, he should have about 80 grams of fat. So in order to use MCTs to actually make your body burn fat, you would have to be eating a very unhealthy (and unpalatable) amount of fat.

Aside from that level of fat in the diet being unhealthy, a diet high in MCTs also has some side effects. These include gastrointestinal upsets such as diarrhea, and increased levels of cholesterol and triglycerides. This occurs when the MCT level goes above 10% of calories. People who have complications from liver disease should not take MCTs, as they are processed by the liver. Also, MCTs do not contain any of the essential fatty acids that we need to survive. Therefore, a diet of strictly MCTs would be deficient in nutrients that you need.........."

SoHappy 03-23-2012 01:54 PM

Here's another bit to read, about the same as above. LOL

"..........Medium chain triglycerides, also referred to as medium chain fatty acids or simply MCT, are a type of fat that is easily absorbed by the body. Found naturally in foods, MCTs are also available as a dietary supplement. According to Ward Dean, M.D. and Jim English of NutritionReview.com, MCTs are used primarily as an instant energy source by organs and muscles in the body rather than being stored as fat.

Fresh butter is one of the best sources of fat and medium chain triglycerides, according to nutritional experts and authors of "Nourishing Traditions," Sally Fallon and Mary G. Enig, PhD. Butter contains about 12 to 15 percent short and medium chain fatty acids, according to the authors. This is the type of fat that can be used quickly by the human body for energy. Fresh butter, according to "Nourishing Traditions," has both antifungal and antitumor properties.

As one of the richest all-natural sources of medium chain triglycerides, palm kernel oil and other palm oil derivatives are used as a healthy additive to a variety of foods including soup mixes and canned goods, according to the American Palm Oil Council or APOC. Palm kernel oil is obtained from the kernel of the palm fruit, and can be broken down into two components: palm kernel olein and palm kernel stearin. Palm kernel olein is the liquid component of the oil while the latter is the solid portion of the palm kernel oil produced during the fractionation process. According to the APOC, palm kernel oil is a healthier alternative to partially hydrogenated oils because it is cholesterol-free and rich in antioxidants.

Coconut oil is derived from coconuts, and a 2007 article at LATimes.com points out a few of its proven health benefits. The article points to a 2003 study published in the journal "Obesity" that proved men who consumed medium chain triglycerides from sources like coconut oil burned more calories than men who consume long chain triglycerides -- in this case, olive oil. The reason for this may be because MCTs are more easily digested by the body and are used for energy. The LA Times is quick to point out that the American Heart Association recommends that only seven percent of total daily calories should come from saturated fat sources like coconut oil.........."

Yam-Yam 03-23-2012 02:04 PM

I bought Extra Virgin Coconut Oil after hearing about it and then (you know me!) buying some books to learn more about it.

The first time I tried it, I just loved it. I love how it smells and how it tastes and even how it feels. (It can be used as a skin conditioner -- put some on, let it sit, and then shower. Your skin will be soooooo smoothe! Polynesian women warm it up and use it in their hair. So do women from India and that's why they have shiny hair. You melt it in a pan, put it in your hair and leave it in for a few minutes or a few hours and then shampoo it out).

Sorry, got off the subject!

Any way, there are a couple of unique things about EVCO. It is thermogenic. People who can just take a spoonfull and eat it our of the jar (I can't even do that with peanut butter!:sick:) Say they immediately start to heat up. I put it in my hot chocolate, especially on DDs when I tend to get a bit chilly.

It really warms me up. Thermogenisis is a great thing. It means your body is burning calories and fat at an accelerated rate. There have been lots of studies done now on CO to find out exactly how it works and reacts in the body.

New studies show that coconut oil cannot be stored as fat in your body. As soon as you eat it, it goes right into your liver. then it is quickly processed, and one place it goes is to the brain. It also nourishes muscle tissue, preserving and even building it. It also helps to keep you regular because it attends the movement of substances through the intestines.

Two tips: Don't eat it close to bed time. It will probably keep you awake because of the thermogenisis. take it when you want more energy!

Also: Do not heat it in the microwave. I can't remember the details of this but I read it in one of the books I bought on EVCO. It has something to do with it destroying or breaking down the chains or something and messes up the nutrients and how it's supposed to work in your body.

I heat up a mug of water and then add the EVCO and let it melt while I'm stirring in my chocolate mix. Yum.

I also love cooking eggs in it. I especially love doing veggie chicken stir fry dishes because it adds that little Hawaiin flair. It does not have a strong taste. Very mild. But I've always loved coconut. You should try it. Be sure and buy Extra Virgin.

sterlinggirl 03-23-2012 02:05 PM

Wow.. you sure have done your research! Thank-you very much for this.:) Very interesting read:heart:

sterlinggirl 03-23-2012 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yam-Yam (Post 15521198)
I bought Extra Virgin Coconut Oil after hearing about it and then (you know me!) buying some books to learn more about it.

The first time I tried it, I just loved it. I love how it smells and how it tastes and even how it feels. (It can be used as a skin conditioner -- put some on, let it sit, and then shower. Your skin will be soooooo smoothe! Polynesian women warm it up and use it in their hair. So do women from India and that's why they have shiny hair. You melt it in a pan, put it in your hair and leave it in for a few minutes or a few hours and then shampoo it out).

Sorry, got off the subject!

Any way, there are a couple of unique things about EVCO. It is thermogenic. People who can just take a spoonfull and eat it our of the jar (I can't even do that with peanut butter!:sick:) Say they immediately start to heat up. I put it in my hot chocolate, especially on DDs when I tend to get a bit chilly.

It really warms me up. Thermogenisis is a great thing. It means your body is burning calories and fat at an accelerated rate. There have been lots of studies done now on CO to find out exactly how it works and reacts in the body.

New studies show that coconut oil cannot be stored as fat in your body. As soon as you eat it, it goes right into your liver. then it is quickly processed, and one place it goes is to the brain. It also nourishes muscle tissue, preserving and even building it. It also helps to keep you regular because it attends the movement of substances through the intestines.

Two tips: Don't eat it close to bed time. It will probably keep you awake because of the thermogenisis. take it when you want more energy!

Also: Do not heat it in the microwave. I can't remember the details of this but I read it in one of the books I bought on EVCO. It has something to do with it destroying or breaking down the chains or something and messes up the nutrients and how it's supposed to work in your body.

I heat up a mug of water and then add the EVCO and let it melt while I'm stirring in my chocolate mix. Yum.

I also love cooking eggs in it. I especially love doing veggie chicken stir fry dishes because it adds that little Hawaiin flair. It does not have a strong taste. Very mild. But I've always loved coconut. You should try it. Be sure and buy Extra Virgin.

Should that be Cold Pressed? or not?

Yam-Yam 03-23-2012 02:08 PM

Good info, Pat!

Kimberly: Wanted to add that whatever you do, do not buy hydrogonated oil!! Nothing overly processed.

CO is solid when it's at room temperature, but melts if it gets a bit warmer and it turns to liquid.

You do not have to refrigerate it and it lasts a long time! I think I bought my big batch (about half a dozen jars) in late 2010 and the expiration date is the end of 2013 I think. Will have to go back and look.

Yam-Yam 03-23-2012 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sterlinggirl (Post 15521213)
Should that be Cold Pressed? or not?

Yes! Here is what my jar says:

Nutiva Organic Extra Virgin Coconut Oil
100% Less cholesterol than Butter

Cold Pressed and Pure White
Organic

Wait! I can send you a link! :doh::laugh:

sterlinggirl 03-23-2012 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yam-Yam (Post 15521221)

Organic

Woo hoo.. i will pick some up then.. i love love coconuts, so this should be good with out the sweet:)

Yam-Yam 03-23-2012 02:17 PM

Here you go. Don't know if this link will get bumped or not but I'm sure Netrition sells the same thing.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...+Oil&x=11&y=19

Click on the word amazon to get to where I want you to go.

BTW: I have had the CO for a long time, but I really didn't start using it much until recently. One of those things I kinda forgot about and then I have been very fat-phobic so I was afraid of eating fat...blah, blah. But now, I seriously believe it suppresses my appetite, burns calories, gives me energy and lots more. Fits in very well with JUDD.

I think it's because I only take a rounded teaspoon full at a time. Sometimes I'll do it once or twice in the morning and once early afternoon. But never that much all at once. Don't think it would affect me. I have an iron stomach. :hyst:

gotsomeold 03-23-2012 02:30 PM

It will be tomorrow morning before I have time to reply to this. For now, do an internet search on oil pulling and know I believe in CO in much the same way I believe in Tinker Bell.

Yam-Yam 03-23-2012 02:47 PM

Nancy: I will 'cos you told me to.:laugh: Have no idea what that is. It was not in any of my books.

I didn't think much of EVCO until I really tried it. Just like when I first started reading about JUDD I thought "this is crazy! Who could ever do this? And, it probably would never work anyway." WRONG! (buzzer sounding here).:rofl:

Yam-Yam 03-23-2012 02:52 PM

This is what I found on Wikipedia:

Oil pulling - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

so, basically it's for oral hygiene? People swish it around in their mouth and suck it back and forth through their teeth, right? Sounds strange!!! I might try brushing my teeth with it, but I don't think I could do the teeth sucking thing. :sick:

KathyL 03-23-2012 02:55 PM

I use it in place of butter except when I just have to have real butter (which I believe is healthy for you as long as it comes from grass fed cows which I can't afford too much of). Even spread it on my toast. I actually buy it by the gallon (big family) because I can get extra virgin organic from the same company I buy my soaping oils from.

sterlinggirl 03-23-2012 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yam-Yam (Post 15521310)

so, basically it's for oral hygiene? People swish it around in their mouth and suck it back and forth through their teeth, right? Sounds strange!!! I might try brushing my teeth with it, but I don't think I could do the teeth sucking thing. :sick:

I dont do well with the whole swish and dont swallow thing..lol i tend to swallow almost everything that enters my mouth.:hyst::hyst:

Yam-Yam 03-23-2012 03:00 PM

I had to read one of the sentences several times to make sense of it in that oil pulling article. Apparently people who have illnesses that cause them to throw up a lot lose enamel off their teeth and these ancient practitioners believe that oils and oil pulling restores tooth enamel.

I imagine you could definitely figure out a lot of strange things to do with it, but that does not take away from testimonies from people who have found it a beneficial and nutritious food to eat.

Doctor Oz has been singing the praises of EVCO on his show lately and more studies are being done to back up it's unique nutritional value.

It's kind of like JUDD. People want it to be a miracle weight loss fix. But it's more than that.

People want to take a spoonful of CO every day and drop 20 pounds in a week. It does not work that way. It works WITH a healthy living plan.

OK, preaching over. :D

SoHappy 03-23-2012 03:03 PM

It's just another medium-chain fat, like butter is, except I like butter better. :laugh:

Yam-Yam 03-23-2012 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KathyL (Post 15521320)
I use it in place of butter except when I just have to have real butter (which I believe is healthy for you as long as it comes from grass fed cows which I can't afford too much of). Even spread it on my toast. I actually buy it by the gallon (big family) because I can get extra virgin organic from the same company I buy my soaping oils from.

Cool! I bought 15 ounce jars but they came in packs of 3 each so I got 6 jars total. Now that I'm using it more, I'll have to replenish sooner!

Yam-Yam 03-23-2012 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sterlinggirl (Post 15521324)
I dont do well with the whole swish and dont swallow thing..lol i tend to swallow almost everything that enters my mouth.:hyst::hyst:

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: Sorry, but that made me laugh and remember my dear, late doggie, Buster. A bee flew into his mouth while we were sitting on the patio and he swallowed it. It stung him in the throat and turns out he was allergic and swelled up like a balloon. We had to rush him to the Vet for injections of antihistamines! :rofl::rofl::rofl:

but I would think after all the swishing and swooshing you could not possibly swallow it! Yuck!:sick::sick::rofl::rofl:

How did we get so off track and what road are we going down now??:hyst::hyst:

Yam-Yam 03-23-2012 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoHappy (Post 15521344)
It's just another medium-chain fat, like butter is, except I like butter better. :laugh:

:yummy: I like butter, too!:yummy::up:

KeirasMom 03-23-2012 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yam-Yam (Post 15521310)

The way I understand it, it's not simply oral hygiene. There's something about swishing in the mouth for such a long period that is supposed to draw infection out of your bloodstream through your gums. I was going to try it, but never got around to it. I have a hard enough time keeping my toothbrush going for two minutes, let alone oil pulling for twenty!

babykinz 03-23-2012 04:29 PM

I swear by CO!
I oil pull...which if you Google you'll find is VERY beneficial.
I use it on my skin....after I shower, while still in the shower and wet I spread it all over and then gently towel dry. Best absorbed after you dry brush. Its the only moisturizer I now use, how nice to know you are not putting chemicals on your skin!
And, except for deep frying, its the only oil I use, I also put it on my dogs food to help her skin.

itsmeshelly01 03-23-2012 04:42 PM

I get the nutiva from netrition. I use 1T every morning. On DDs I make gluc "oatmeal" and add it to that. On UDs I put it on my OMM or on toast or make co bark. Its a good fat and makes me feel better and I lose better when I'm eating it.

oropendola 03-23-2012 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yam-Yam (Post 15521221)

Organic

That's my favorite brand of CO. I'm having it in hot chocolate right now. mmm good!

Anything I cook with oil, I now use coconut oil for. I love the taste of eggs fried or scrambled in CO. I also put it in my protein shakes.
It's fabulous in baked goods and as a spread for muffin in a mug or on toast with cinnamon. OK, I love coconut oil. lol YMMV

I buy it in the 54 oz tubs and transfer to smaller jars when I need to take it on trips.:yummy:

oropendola 03-23-2012 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sterlinggirl (Post 15521324)

:rofl::rofl: Me too. I swish and swallow! You chew and swallow, what's the difference? :dunno:

Well after reading up on oilpulling...there may be a difference:

"In the morning, before breakfast on an empty stomach you take one tablespoon in the mouth but do not swallow it. Move Oil Slowly in the mouth as rinsing or swishing and Dr Karach puts it as ' sip, suck and pull through the teeth' for fifteen to twenty minutes. This process makes oil thoroughly mixed with saliva. Swishing activates the enzymes and the enzymes draw toxins out of the blood. The oil must not be swallowed, for it has become toxic. As the process continues, the oil gets thinner and white. If the oil is still yellow, it has not been pulled long enough. It is then spit from the mouth , the oral cavity must be thoroughly rinsed and mouth must be washed thoroughly. Just use normal tap water and good old fingers to clean."

OK, I won't swallow anymore. Who knew? Thanks babykinz!

sophiethecat 03-23-2012 08:17 PM

I would sometimes down a tablespoon of VCO when I was doing LC, but if it had any benefit, I never was aware of it. I never felt hot or more energetic or lost weight fast or anything. Not saying that doesn't happen for some people, but I didn't notice anything.

Now I have gone back to using the cheap Lou Ana brand coconut oil when I skillet-fry certain foods, such as fried chicken, because the oil takes high heat well.

Otherwise, I cook or spread foods with EVOO and/or butter.

sterlinggirl 03-24-2012 03:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sophiethecat (Post 15522131)
I would sometimes down a tablespoon of VCO when I was doing LC, but if it had any benefit, I never was aware of it. I never felt hot or more energetic or lost weight fast or anything. Not saying that doesn't happen for some people, but I didn't notice anything.

Now I have gone back to using the cheap Lou Ana brand coconut oil when I skillet-fry certain foods, such as fried chicken, because the oil takes high heat well.

Otherwise, I cook or spread foods with EVOO and/or butter.

Thank you for that answer.. i do know for some they feel it really helps and for others they dont see any bennifit.. so i will have to try and see if i am one who will benniffit from it once i try it..thanks to all who have shared there thoughts on this subject:heart:

gotsomeold 03-24-2012 04:31 AM

Let' see...
A couple of years ago on a cruise I ate CO before each meal. Cruised a week, gained no weight. I never actually lost weight eating it though. (unlike Yam-Yam I can eat CO and PB off a spoon :D )

When I read about oil-pulling, I had a bad abscess behind a molar. So bad I was in constant pain and planning to call the dentist. I swished. I spat out, for about three minutes, pus and blood. Swished again in the morning and that was the end of the abscess.

When I first started eating the stuff, I was ill for three days. Eating CO is a major detox. Best to start with small amounts.

CO cleared up psoriasis I had on my ankles for decades. Gone in about a month.

It faded and even removed a variety of scars. It started the process of fading my bright red cheeks & nose (took JUDDD to complete the fading). It reduced wrinkles. I use it as a face cream before mixing make-up with regular moisturizing cream ... or without make-up. It gives my 59-year-old face a lovely glow. It seems to speed healing of scratches and bug bites.

I have a really pale complexion. And spend hours in the sun all summer working in the yard. It soothes sunburn and turns red to a nice tan. In fact, I frequently use it in place of suntan lotion (which I sweat off very quickly).

CO kept my toe-nail fungus in check (not getting worse) until JUDDD had time to heal it.

More will probably follow as I think of it.

Suffice to say, CO is part of my life!

Oh, and I :heart: butter!

sterlinggirl 03-24-2012 05:03 AM

Wow nancy i had no clue it could be used for ALL that! I will def start putting this on my parts and maybe put some on my husbands parts as well,, (he has psoriasis to)..:jumpjoy:

metqa 03-24-2012 05:38 AM

Just want to point out that neither butter nor coconut oil is "a medium chain fat" but that they CONTAIN medium chain fats.

Butter is approx 12-15% medium and short chain fats and the rest is long chain.

Coconut oil is around 66% medium chain fats and 33% long chain fats.

You are still getting quite a bit of long chain fats when you use them. Not being fat-phobic, but pure MCT is a refined product of coconut oil and doesn't contain all the benefits of regular coconut oil ( Refined or Virgin, both of which contain the full FA composition of various medium and long chain FAs)

While most of the beneficial FA in Coconut oil are medium, some of the beneficial fats in coconut oil are long chains so there is no loss there. Oleic 5-7% and Linoleic 1-2.5% are long chain fatty acids .

It's probably not a good idea to "ignore" the calories in these foods because even though MCT's burn quickly like carbs, they still contain energy just like carbs and should be considered, as well as the long chain triglycerides they contain. If you are not counting calories then that is one less step for you, and if you are counting fat as a percentage of calories such as EFGT for example you'd want to count these fats toward your fat consumption in your favor and also to make sure you don't exceed your daily caloric limit.

Quote:

Butter through the Ages

A typical Breakdown of Fatty acids in Butter
Milk fat is comprised mostly of triglycerides, with small amounts of mono- and diglycerides, phospholipids, glycolipids, and lipo-proteins. The trigylcerides (98% of milkfat) are of diverse composition with respect to their component fatty acids, approximately 40% of which are unsaturated fat firmness varies with chain length, degree of unsaturation, and position of the fatty acids on the glycerol. This is a typical breakdown of fatty acids in butter:

http://www.webexhibits.org/butter/i/...tty-acids2.gif
Linoleic, Oleic, Stearic, Palmitic, and Myristic are Long Chain Fatty Acids.
Lauric, Capric, Caprylic, and Caproic are MCFA.
Butryic is a Short Chain FA.

Quote:

Originally Posted by http://www.healingnaturallybybee.com/articles/butter1.php
Highly protective lauric acid should be called a conditionally essential fatty acid because it is made only by the mammary gland and not in the liver like other saturated fats.65 We must obtain it from one of two dietary sources—small amounts in butterfat or large amounts in coconut oil. Four-carbon butyric acid is all but unique to butter. It has antifungal properties as well as antitumor effects.66