Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2012, 06:58 AM   #31
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
I read about not counting CO calories. But decided, for me, I need to count a calorie as a calorie.

A month or so ago I read about Castor Oil as a beauty product on an old thread in the Beauty section. Tried combining a little Castor Oil with hand-melted CO and slathering that on my face to soak in the morning (while reading this forum). I am seeing nice results from that - an old acne scar that did not respond to just CO is almost gone.

Metqa, you know so much about this. Do you have advice on other oils/fats?

Oh, Kimberly, eczema too.
STILL below goal 2/15/14

I did not "lose" weight. I evicted it. It is gone and it ain't coming back!

JUDDD cares about calories. JUDDD does not care what you eat. Your body probably does.
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-24-2012, 07:11 AM   #32
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: sterlinggirl
Stats: 225/166/165 48 5'9.. 11-18-14 #176.
WOE: JUDDD FOR LIFE!
Start Date: Jan 2012. Name Kimberly
Im exctied to try it as a skin healer.. i have very dull skin and have looked for a moisturizer to fix my problem and everything seams to make it worste! /so i look forward to slathering my whole body! woo hoo.. and if i eat it.. i too will count the calories i think..
sterlinggirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 07:14 AM   #33
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/136/125; 5'1"
WOE: PSMF/hcg Transitioning to HFLC
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG/PSMF 07/2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotsomeold View Post
I read about not counting CO calories. But decided, for me, I need to count a calorie as a calorie.

A month or so ago I read about Castor Oil as a beauty product on an old thread in the Beauty section. Tried combining a little Castor Oil with hand-melted CO and slathering that on my face to soak in the morning (while reading this forum). I am seeing nice results from that - an old acne scar that did not respond to just CO is almost gone.

Metqa, you know so much about this. Do you have advice on other oils/fats?

Oh, Kimberly, eczema too.
Oh, the Castor Oil Facial is wonderful. I use Castor and Olive Oil and finish off with coconut oil! I need to do it more often, my skin is SO much better when I use it regularly.

Advice on other oils? Not really. I'm not really good at getting a full spread of Omegas, cause I can't stand fish oil pills but I adore sardines, herring and salmon.

But as far as cooking oils, I threw out or gave away the corn oil, soy oil and canola=rapeseed oil. I kept the peanut oil for deep frying, but it went bad after half a decade of forgetting about it.

I found unhydrogenated lard for shallow frying, purchased Palm oil shortening for coating my baking pans, ordered some imported extra virgin olive oil in a 3 liter can and it's delicious, but i buy lite olive oil for BF to cook with.

I use sesame oil, regular and toasted for flavor, and I have a bunch of macadamia nut oil that I forgot why I bought it!

I have virgin (smelly)and refined (non smelly) coconut oil and a bottle of MCT oil ( pure energy).

I can't afford the healthfood store prices so I just buy store brand regular salted and unsalted butter and make ghee from that. You can make ghee from salted butter contrary to most instructions that say use unsalted. the salt precipitates out or boils out with the foam. With unsalted butter you get a foamy cooked solid that is is like sweet caramel treat, with salted you get a foamy concentrated butter flavored salt paste that you can use for cooking where ever you might add salt. No Waste!

I was looking to replace my cooking fats with more saturated fats which is why I changed it up from liquid seed oils ( soy, corn, mustard=rapeseed=canola) to fruit oils ( olive, coconut, palm) , animal fats ( beef fat, chicken drippings, lard) and dairy fat ( butter, ghee, yogurt and kefir)

I'm gonna go oil my face now, thanks for the reminder!!! I use coconut oil instead of lotion now. I never did like lotion at all, I kinda wanna make my own coconut oil lotion, but I'm too skeered. using the oil straight is easy enough!
"You have to understand zat ven a vampire forgoes . . .the b-vord, zere is a process zat ve call transference? Zey force Zemselves to desire somesing else? . . .But your friend chose . . . coffee. And now he has none." "You can find him some coffee, or . . .you can keep a vooden stake and a big knife ready. You vould be doink him a favor, believe me." Monstrous Regiment by Terry Pratchett
IBKKF 898

Last edited by metqa; 03-24-2012 at 07:17 AM..
metqa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 01:28 PM   #34
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: oropendola
Stats: 221.4/186.6/160
WOE: Belly Fat Cure -> JUDDD -> JUDDD + DrK
Start Date: January 2, 2012 -> March 8 -> July 6
Two links on oil pulling I found useful:

Oil Pulling, Wonderful Therapy, An Ancient Ayurvedic natural remedies for Great Health

http://dallas.desicityguide.com/oilp...lingdotcom.pdf
oropendola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 01:49 PM   #35
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Yam-Yam
Stats: 230/191/165 @5'9"tall and 60 yrs. alive
WOE: Dukan 8/1/11 and now JUDDD
Start Date: 8/1/11 RE-start 1/1/14
Quote:
Let' see...
A couple of years ago on a cruise I ate CO before each meal. Cruised a week, gained no weight. I never actually lost weight eating it though. (unlike Yam-Yam I can eat CO and PB off a spoon )

When I read about oil-pulling, I had a bad abscess behind a molar. So bad I was in constant pain and planning to call the dentist. I swished. I spat out, for about three minutes, pus and blood. Swished again in the morning and that was the end of the abscess.

When I first started eating the stuff, I was ill for three days. Eating CO is a major detox. Best to start with small amounts.

CO cleared up psoriasis I had on my ankles for decades. Gone in about a month.

It faded and even removed a variety of scars. It started the process of fading my bright red cheeks & nose (took JUDDD to complete the fading). It reduced wrinkles. I use it as a face cream before mixing make-up with regular moisturizing cream ... or without make-up. It gives my 59-year-old face a lovely glow. It seems to speed healing of scratches and bug bites.

I have a really pale complexion. And spend hours in the sun all summer working in the yard. It soothes sunburn and turns red to a nice tan. In fact, I frequently use it in place of suntan lotion (which I sweat off very quickly).

CO kept my toe-nail fungus in check (not getting worse) until JUDDD had time to heal it.

More will probably follow as I think of it.

Suffice to say, CO is part of my life!

Oh, and I butter!
Wow! I had heard about putting it on cuts and scars for healing but never tried it. Maybe I will now.

So, let me get this right.....you DO believe in Tinkerbell??
Yam-Yam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 01:49 PM   #36

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlinggirl View Post
Thank you for that answer.. i do know for some they feel it really helps and for others they dont see any bennifit.. so i will have to try and see if i am one who will benniffit from it once i try it..thanks to all who have shared there thoughts on this subject
Have you benefited from butter? Do you use butter? Butter and coconut oil both contain medium-chain triglycerides, along with palm oil. They all give you these same benefits, so if butter works for you, coconut oil should too.

Last edited by SoHappy; 03-24-2012 at 02:00 PM..
SoHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 01:53 PM   #37
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by metqa View Post
Just want to point out that neither butter nor coconut oil is "a medium chain fat" but that they CONTAIN medium chain fats.

Butter is approx 12-15% medium and short chain fats and the rest is long chain.

Coconut oil is around 66% medium chain fats and 33% long chain fats.

You are still getting quite a bit of long chain fats when you use them. Not being fat-phobic, but pure MCT is a refined product of coconut oil and doesn't contain all the benefits of regular coconut oil ( Refined or Virgin, both of which contain the full FA composition of various medium and long chain FAs)

While most of the beneficial FA in Coconut oil are medium, some of the beneficial fats in coconut oil are long chains so there is no loss there. Oleic 5-7% and Linoleic 1-2.5% are long chain fatty acids .

It's probably not a good idea to "ignore" the calories in these foods because even though MCT's burn quickly like carbs, they still contain energy just like carbs and should be considered, as well as the long chain triglycerides they contain. If you are not counting calories then that is one less step for you, and if you are counting fat as a percentage of calories such as EFGT for example you'd want to count these fats toward your fat consumption in your favor and also to make sure you don't exceed your daily caloric limit.

Linoleic, Oleic, Stearic, Palmitic, and Myristic are Long Chain Fatty Acids.
Lauric, Capric, Caprylic, and Caproic are MCFA.
Butryic is a Short Chain FA.
Wow! We have some smart, smart people around here! Thanks for that info.
I do and always have counted the calories in the EVCO I eat. I count almost everything. Except coffee. But I do count the tablespoon of half and half I put in a cup of it.
Old 03-24-2012, 02:00 PM   #38

Metqa, thanks for posting additional info on this subject.
Old 03-24-2012, 02:09 PM   #39
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yam-Yam View Post
So, let me get this right.....you DO believe in Tinkerbell?
Doesn't everyone?
Old 03-24-2012, 02:54 PM   #40

Quote:
Wow! We have some smart, smart people around here! Thanks for that info.
I do and always have counted the calories in the EVCO I eat. I count almost everything. Except coffee. But I do count the tablespoon of half and half I put in a cup of it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHappy View Post
Metqa, thanks for posting additional info on this subject.
When I was doing P3 after HCG I was told the 1st 4T of coconut oil don't count toward calories cause the lauric acid was used up by the immune system, but that didn't make sense to me so I had to go look it up. Even if all the lauric acid were use as immune building instead of used as fuel, that leaves 50% of coconut oil, the non lauric acid componenets, to be used as fuel, so at best one could claim only half the calories... or one might say only claim 33% of them since that's the amount that is LCFA....
Old 03-24-2012, 02:56 PM   #41
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Doesn't everyone?

Hmmmmmmm.....then let me ask you this (based on your adorable picture): Are YOU Tinker Bell??
Old 03-24-2012, 02:58 PM   #42
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
When I was doing P3 after HCG I was told the 1st 4T of coconut oil don't count toward calories cause the lauric acid was used up by the immune system, but that didn't make sense to me so I had to go look it up. Even if all the lauric acid were use as immune building instead of used as fuel, that leaves 50% of coconut oil, the non lauric acid componenets, to be used as fuel, so at best one could claim only half the calories... or one might say only claim 33% of them since that's the amount that is LCFA....
I just look on the jar @ nutritional value, figure out what's in a teaspoon full and count 'em. Based on your post, this will be good news for it will create more of a calorie deficit than I even knew!
Old 03-24-2012, 03:01 PM   #43

Quote:
Hmmmmmmm.....then let me ask you this (based on your adorable picture): Are YOU Tinker Bell??
oh! I see it now! How Cute!!!! Tinkerbell, grown up.
Old 03-24-2012, 04:35 PM   #44

Gallery: dawnyama
Stats: 154/124.8/118 5'3.5"
WOE: Rx hcg
Start Date: 6/1/09
Quote:
I have virgin (smelly)and refined (non smelly) coconut oil

I'm gonna go oil my face now, thanks for the reminder!!! I use coconut oil instead of lotion now.
I love all things coconut You name it, I have it in coconut. I have coconut oil (use it for everything from a lotion to sunscreen to putting on burns, scrapes and scars, DH uses it on his hair as a gel....I could go on) ; coconut oil lotion (I am too lazy to make my own metqa so I buy it!!); coconut facial soap; coconut oil shampoo bar, coconut oil peanut butter.......I could go on with the list of products I have. I am going to try the oil pulling. I keep meaning to because I see it posted here ALL THE TIME here on LCFs. I am just worried about the timing part---20 mins is awfully long. But to start off I believe you can do it for shorter and work your way up. I will start tomorrow, as I have the day off! See how long I can go......Did I mention I love coconut

Last edited by dawnyama; 03-24-2012 at 04:37 PM..
dawnyama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 06:00 PM   #45
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: sterlinggirl
Stats: 225/166/165 48 5'9.. 11-18-14 #176.
WOE: JUDDD FOR LIFE!
Start Date: Jan 2012. Name Kimberly
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHappy View Post
Have you benefited from butter? Do you use butter? Butter and coconut oil both contain medium-chain triglycerides, along with palm oil. They all give you these same benefits, so if butter works for you, coconut oil should too.
i use butter all the time.. i never saw it as any thing i really could bennift from..i just love the taste so much better than the all chemical spray on butters lol..i do try to limit the amt of real butter due to how many caloires are in so, i was not aware its was actually good for me..
sterlinggirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 09:06 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawnyama View Post
I love all things coconut You name it, I have it in coconut. I have coconut oil (use it for everything from a lotion to sunscreen to putting on burns, scrapes and scars, DH uses it on his hair as a gel....I could go on) ; coconut oil lotion (I am too lazy to make my own metqa so I buy it!!); coconut facial soap; coconut oil shampoo bar, coconut oil peanut butter.......I could go on with the list of products I have. I am going to try the oil pulling. I keep meaning to because I see it posted here ALL THE TIME here on LCFs. I am just worried about the timing part---20 mins is awfully long. But to start off I believe you can do it for shorter and work your way up. I will start tomorrow, as I have the day off! See how long I can go......Did I mention I love coconut
DANG, WOMAN!
Old 03-25-2012, 01:02 AM   #47
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: OhioGuy
Stats: 6'2'' 370 atkins to 355 then JUDDD
WOE: Good bye LC, Hello Juddd
Start Date: 3/5/2012 atkins intro JUDDD 3/29/12
i think the words " super foods " are thrown around way to much, but this might be THE super food.
also read that evco CANNOT be turned into body fat.
?
OhioGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 02:37 AM   #48
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
I asked DH his opinion. He said, "You know, that would explain an awful lot." and wandered out of the room with a VERY thoughtful, and slightly terrified, look on his face.

Dawn, everything I have read about oil-pulling says start small and build up to 20 minutes.

Also based on my reading - some people cannot handle swishing a mouthful of one kind of oil but can manage other oils. Experimentation is useful.

I think a lot of the value in OP is a combination of:
(a) because you have liquid in your closed mouth, the back of your throat automatically closes to protect your lungs. This creates sealed, anaerobic environment in your mouth that kills a lot of the germs in your mouth that require oxygen, and
(b) when the oil combines with saliva a kind of soap is formed, the swishing really does clean your mouth, the liquid you are swishing gradually becomes a gooshy, semi-solid lump that - believe me - is very easy to spit out, and
(c) in your mouth the MCTs and other oils totally bypass the digestive system and are absorbed directly into the bloodstream, this intensifies the good things oil can do inside of you (I have read about some amazing improvements in other parts of the body.)

OH, and this is terribly important.
As you swish, if the liquid gets too close to the back of your throat an automatic don't-let-fluid-get-in-the-lungs reaction occurs. I tried pulling olive oil once and found, for me, it was harder to control than CO. I swished a little too far back. And spent the next twenty minutes laughing while I cleaned up the mess I sprayed all over the room and myself.

Last edited by gotsomeold; 03-25-2012 at 02:58 AM..
Old 03-25-2012, 07:44 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioGuy View Post
i think the words " super foods " are thrown around way to much, but this might be THE super food.
also read that evco CANNOT be turned into body fat.
?
well, the MCT part of it cannot, I think the LCT part of it still has the potential since it still requires bile digestion and the sort.
Old 03-25-2012, 06:58 PM   #50
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: buttoni
Stats: 196/170/150
WOE: Atkins Start 4/09
Start Date: 4/21/09 Height 5'5", Age 64
Coconut Oil and Alzheimer's Disease

Much research is coming out now to show coconut oil and a low-carb diet have benefits for brain cells, with particular benefits for AD patients in preventing the plaque on brain cells associated with that disease. The US and UK Alzheimer's websites mention this research often.

My mother has dementia that is deteriorating rapidly. If I carry the AD gene, or my high-carb past lifestyle has set the groundwork for me to get it one day as well, I'm proactively taking my 1-2T. a day (in coffee, cooking or straight warmed up) along with several supplements said to be proactive also.

Dr. Mary Newport, whose husband has AD, did 4-5 wonderful videos a couple years ago I watched that were very enlightening on the subject. Her husband, who was also her office bookkeeper, developed AD and eventually had to stop doing her practice's books. In video #1, his thinking and speech are pretty minimal. After taking just 2T. of CO for a couple weeks, his mental status test clock diagrams greatly improved, and he eventually got well enough to go back to doing her books! Here's a link to those videos.......very worth your time if you may be genetically predisposed to AD like I may be: Dr. Newport and Coconut Oil - YouTube
Old 03-25-2012, 07:20 PM   #51
Blabbermouth!!!

Wow! Amazing! thanks for that added info.

Nancy: ROFL! I can picture your DH walking out of the room, shaking his head!

I think I mentioned that I try to take my vitamin and mineral supplements right after I take EVCO in my cocoa. thinking it will be absorbed into my cells better.

Just heard Dr. Oz again recently singing the praises of EVCO. and, he said it wonderful because the body does not store it as fat but instead uses it as energy, especially to feed the brain.

The new thing I started doing after getting Nancy's info is brushing my teeth and tongue with EVCO! Wow! What a great breath freshener and teeth polish!

After I brush with my Colgate Total, I rinse my mouth and my sonicare tooth brush and then put some EVCO on it and brush again. Awesome feeling that lasts long time. wonderful!

I wonder if it can be a healthy thing to do for the gums. I'll bet it is!!

You should all try it. Sonicare w/ EVCO. My teeth feel so polished and shiny.

"Weight loss isn't about winning a race; it's about crossing the finish line at your own pace." -Dianna Rodriguiz

current numbers: 1975/395
goal numbers: 1700/350 (just a reminder)
Old 03-26-2012, 09:14 AM   #52
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sungoddess
WOE: Perfect Health Diet/JUDDD
Start Date: LC;HCG; 1/19/12/JUDDD; 1/13/13 PHD/JUDDD
CO has been a huge part of my life for several years now. For all the benefits others have listed, I second that! I also love Kerry butter very much.

I have oil pulled with CO off and on through the years. It gives me lovely pearly white teeth. Like Nancy, I had a bad abscess on a lower molar. I began oil pulling again until I got to the dentist and he was amazed at how much healing had gone on.

I also use it on my face as a moisturizer and for cracked heals and it healed up some red bumps that had been on my face for years.

The list could really go on and on. My nutritionist wants me to eat 3 Tbs a day.
Trader Joe's now carries it again and I am using that brand. I can easily eat the stuff right off the spoon, or as coco crack. A delicious way to get it in is with this recipe:

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...andy-nuts.html

I used pistachio nuts with dried apricot pieces( Nancy, are you listening? in the mix. When I spread it out, I sprinkled with coarse celtic sea salt. I can add the apricots now because I am not worried about the carbs while on JUDDD! Delicious!!
Old 03-26-2012, 10:24 AM   #53

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/137/126 5'3" Age 67
WOE: JUDDD restart 8/25/2014
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
Why can't I like it, even hate the smell.

I have no issue with the milk, cream or eating it straight from the tree, but I can't do the oil or the dried.
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 10:32 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kissa View Post

I have no issue with the milk, cream or eating it straight from the tree, but I can't do the oil or the dried.
But maybe you get your *good stuff* from milk fats. You certainly have access to some fine dairy offerings over there. I'd give my right arm for some clotted cream for my scones!

I just think that since coconut palms aren't universally spread around the peopled lands of the globe, and thus coconut in any form isn't something that would be available to all humans, that a pretty good sign that whatever goodness it holds for us is available from other foods, or that it isn't very necessary anyway.
Old 03-26-2012, 10:45 AM   #55

Lol, Pat, I am off to my Devon home on Wednesday and am planning a Clotted Cream Tea for my Thursday UD.

Yes, I eat butter all the time.
Old 03-26-2012, 10:53 AM   #56
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: vanilla_latte
Stats: Weigh/Too/Much!
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: 9/22/14
Just chiming in to say I use it in my coffee (when I remember it), just a teaspoon or so. It looks weird, but I can't taste it and it does help soften the lips.

I use the virgin CO to make various barks. Yummy!
vanilla_latte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 11:16 AM   #57
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sungoddess
WOE: Perfect Health Diet/JUDDD
Start Date: LC;HCG; 1/19/12/JUDDD; 1/13/13 PHD/JUDDD
Quote:
Lol, Pat, I am off to my Devon home on Wednesday and am planning a Clotted Cream Tea for my Thursday UD.

Yes, I eat butter all the time.
OMG ! Can I come? One of my BEST memories (food related of course) was my tea in Devon. I had the best scones and clotted cream that ever existed. I can STILL taste it today. Lucky you!
sungoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 11:19 AM   #58

Quote:

have you tried a refined oil with no smell and just using it like a regular cooking oil? Spectrum has a refined oil from fresh coconuts, has no smell, and you can still get the benefit anytime you need a neutral tasting cooking oil.
Old 03-26-2012, 11:22 AM   #59

Come join the party Beverey.

When I have friends to stay I often make scones for breakfast. People wake up to the smell of them cooking and the jam and clotted cream sit there on the dining room table tempting them.

It really works eating them for breakfast instead of teatime. You have the whole day to work off the delicious indulgence. When I used to do them at tea time people had often had lunch so didn't really feel hungry enough (not that anyone ever said no!). Then of course you don't know what to eat later in the evening... Breakfast works brilliantly.

Thanks Metqa, I will see if I can find that here in the UK. I know you are in Europe so maybe it is available, I hope so.

Embrace a little hunger. It is the sign of healing.

Relax, rotate, reduce, rejoice.

Down Days are the cement that hold JUDDD together.

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...ack-juddd.html

Last edited by Kissa; 03-26-2012 at 11:24 AM..
Old 03-26-2012, 11:38 AM   #60

Quote:
Thanks Metqa, I will see if I can find that here in the UK. I know you are in Europe so maybe it is available, I hope so.
She's in Europe? I didn't know that.