Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   JUDDD (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/)
-   -   Question About Bacon (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/764140-question-about-bacon.html)

Redeemed 03-23-2012 05:20 AM

Question About Bacon
 
I want to make a DD supper of fried potatoes with onions and bacon; and fry the potatoes and onions in the bacon grease. The label on the bacon package says 80 calories for two pan fried slices. Does this calorie count include the fat left over in the frying pan? :dunno:

SoHappy 03-23-2012 05:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redeemed (Post 15519504)
I want to make a DD supper of fried potatoes with onions and bacon; and fry the potatoes and onions in the bacon grease. The label on the bacon package says 80 calories for two pan fried slices. Does this calorie count include the fat left over in the frying pan? :dunno:

Hi, Redeemed. Wish I could help, but I don't know what this answer is. I don't like bacon as much as most do, so I don't even have a package in the refrig right now to go check, to see if my package would be labeled any differently.

****** gives the calories for raw bacon, but not by the slice... only by the weight, in ounces or grams, etc. Do you have a food scale? (Or a little postal scale like I use. LOL)

mttemple4 03-23-2012 05:52 AM

I have always wondered this too since I usually scramble my eggs in the leftover grease. I know some of my bacon has 40 calories a slice while some has as much as 70 a slice. I imagine it would include the grease because the grease is technically THERE in that slice of raw bacon. I guess the question is whether the label makers do any fancy moves and calculate the blotted bacon with fat rendered.

Last night I was combing the archives for something and found a skillet pizza from Bowulf and he blotted the pepperoni and weighed the napkin to see how much he could deduct from the calories. Still don't know if that's how it works though.

Yes, I am quite helpful. :) LOL

gotsomeold 03-23-2012 06:23 AM

********* says there are 255 cals in one ounce of cooked bacon fat

Kissa 03-23-2012 06:48 AM

AAAAARRRRRGGGGHHHH!

theredhead 03-23-2012 08:37 AM

I certainly HOPE it's included in the count. I cook two slices of bacon, remove them from the pan, then cook my cabbage in the grease on DDs. It doesn't seem to be hurting anything. :D

Beeb 03-23-2012 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theredhead (Post 15520219)
I certainly HOPE it's included in the count. I cook two slices of bacon, remove them from the pan, then cook my cabbage in the grease on DDs. It doesn't seem to be hurting anything. :D

This was my thought, too! I always use the "grease" to fry my eggbeaters or veggies in after I fry the bacon. Hasn't hurt me any, either! :dunno::)

ravenrose 03-23-2012 11:02 AM

just look up the calorie count for raw bacon and compare. oh dear, right?

on my fat secret:

3 med slices raw, 311
3 med slices pan fried, 123

the difference is the bacon fat

so meat is an exception to the rule that for accurate counting, you count the raw food weight. most people don't eat the fat that comes off, so the calorie counts don't include it. use the raw numbers if you eat the whole business.

KeirasMom 03-23-2012 11:38 AM

This doesn't take into consideration how well done you cook it either. If it's extra crispy, there's less fat. Softer bacon has more fat. Oy vey! :stars:

Scotty 03-24-2012 06:08 AM

MMMmmmm, bacon....

Yes, I agree that if you use the fat that you would have to go by the raw bacon count, since the fat is still in the bacon. Boooooo :down:

Tamilda 03-24-2012 06:44 AM

Fit Day does have calculations for different thicknesses and whether cooked or raw. I just used it this morning :) They give raw in ounces only, but cooked in thin, medium or thick slices.
HTH
Tami

Redeemed 03-24-2012 06:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tamilda (Post 15522705)
Fit Day does have calculations for different thicknesses and whether cooked or raw. I just used it this morning :) They give raw in ounces only, but cooked in thin, medium or thick slices.
HTH
Tami

Thanks, Tami. I will have to figure out how to use ******. I tried it once, but found it too confusing because of the specialty flours and foods I was using for low carb at the time. Now that I am off of low carb, maybe the calculators will be a little easier to work with.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:45 PM.