Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2012, 02:52 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: melisa82
Stats: 5'6" SW 244 CW Too Much GW 160
WOE: LC
Start Date: 3/27/12
Down Days are a Downer...

I started JUDDD last week on the 11th and quit on the 15th. The 3 DD that I had were horrible. I was super dizy, weak, felt like my head was stuck in a cloud, racing heart and felt plain ol' horrible.

I would LOVE to give this WOE another shot, but not sure if it's "right" for me.

On the DD I was eating 500-600 calories. Do you think it would work if I ate more calories? Say start with 1000?

I was also doing it Low-carb...

Any advice, input or tips would be grately appreciated!
melisa82 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-22-2012, 03:04 PM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: DD80
Stats: 188/165.0/145 5'10"
WOE: Organic GrassFed Gluten-Free 5/13 Dairy Free 2/14
Start Date: 1/10/12 Medi, 2/9/12 First UD, 1/1/13 New Plan
I think that everyone has those days at the beginning. Honestly, it does get better. I would start with 800-1000 and work your way down. Lots of us find that a protein rich breakfast can really help keep hunger away. Others find they have better luck drinking coffee all day and a big dinner. You need to play around and find what is right for you.

For me, it is a protein rich breakfast, probably 2-300 cals. Then a good lunch of 2-250 cals and a smaller dinner of 100-150 cals. I also work out. I allow myself an extra 100 cals if I need them, but try to stick to my DD cals. I've been under sometimes and over others. Cottage cheese is a good thing to have, along with lots of veggies and lean meats. I also pack some berries or a small apple with light baby bels (my dinner usually).

back! I hope you find your niche! Once you get a hang of it, it really feels awesome! I usually have a lot of energy on my DDs now.
DD80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 03:12 PM   #3
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
I can only give you thoughts to consider. And these will, of course, be from my own perspective, which is NOT very low carb. I'm a mid-level carb gal myself.

While low carb gives many people appetite suppression, it just didn't for me. I was always hungry on it. And since JUDDD is a calorie-based and focused plan, and since so many of the very low carb foods are calorie dense, that meant I got very, very little food on my Down Days. Bummer, bummer, bummer! No wonder people have headaches. LOL

So I eat a whole lot more FOOD on DDs. I need plates of FOOD. I need forkFULS of food to chew on. For breakfast, I like 4 or 5 egg whites (no yolks) scrambled up with sliced fresh mushrooms and sliced fresh spinach, and some chopped onion. And maybe sprinkled over with some chopped tomato. But..... for Down Days, I don't do the *swimming in butter* thing or the *covered in melting cheese* thing with my omelettes. Calorie control.

Make your lunch be a HUGE skillet full of sliced cabbage, cooking in a bit of water or chicken broth 'til wonderfully tender, and add in a wedge or two of Laughing Cow reduced calorie cheese (actually really, really good LOL) and maybe some shrimps in it. You can have a pile of this stuff.. delicious.. filling.. healthful food.. very low calories.

Big, big supper. Chinese stir fry - General Tso's Chicken (sort of) with broccoli, green peppers, onions, carrot, mushrooms, and some chicken breast. A big skillet-ful, and topped off with my very low calorie sweet and hot and spicy General Tso's sauce.

I drink iced tea all day long. Glasses full of it, through a straw. (I have my coffee w/cream on Up Days.) Maybe I opt for mugs of hot tea. Mugs of hot broth are good to sip on too.

There is no reason to be hungry on Down Days.

And yes, if you have to start with 1000 calorie Down Days, start there. But I'll bet you won't have to. Or stay that high for long. Once you get into it, your appetite becomes a whole lot more *normalized* and there are so many here who can tell you that they didn't think they could do it, and now they choose to, enjoy doing, a very, very low calorie fast on their Down Days. So.. will wonders never cease. And the pounds keep melting away and melting away. Every month ends with their bodies being slimmer, their waists and hips being smaller, the old clothing being looser and baggy in the seat.

Don't give up. Just keep asking for help and suggestions. Once you DO get into it, the rewards are AMAZING, and they extend to far more than mere weight loss!!! Please believe me.

Last edited by SoHappy; 03-22-2012 at 03:14 PM..
SoHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 03:22 PM   #4

Gallery: Luna Loca
Stats: 303/159/159
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: 10/17/10 started JUDDD on 1/28/12 at 198
Yep, I'm one of those who thought I couldn't do it.

I found what works for me is fasting until about 2 or 3 and eating then.

Some days that doesn't work and I eat three small meals.

I've found that fiber does wonderful things for my appetite suppression. A tiny bag of microwave popcorn makes me feel full for hours. Fiber tablets, too, with a big glass of water.

Keep trying different things until you hit upon what works for you. I've lost 14 pounds in seven weeks, and this was after being stalled for a few months, so I'm a big fan. I hope you find what works for you!

"Success occurs in clusters and is born in generosity" --Julia Cameron

Describes my JUDDD Buddds perfectly.
Luna Loca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 03:58 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: melisa82
Stats: 5'6" SW 244 CW Too Much GW 160
WOE: LC
Start Date: 3/27/12
Thanks for all the tips/words of wisdom. I will start on Sunday with an UP day and go from there. I still want to keep it low-carb, but maybe add a few more carbs from veggies on my down days. I don't know what my body needs, so this is a huge learning experience for me.
melisa82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 04:16 PM   #6
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: No Diet = No Stress! Just eating healthy!
Yes, you can up your DD calories but I wouldn't go as high as 1000. The purpose of the big gap in the calories on DDs and UDs is to help JUDDD work it's magic and it your are just cutting your calories in half for your DD that probably won't work very well to help you start to lose.

I had found that my DDs were just "head hunger" days and I really wasn't that hungry, I just thought I was! After 2 weeks my DDs were a snap and still are. I can go till mid afternoon without eating anything and I'm aiming for just one good meal and a snack in the weeks to come because I really love that energy I get from NOT eating!!

Give it more time, and up your calories a bit, maybe 700 and see what happens and eat lots of lower calorie foods like fruits and veggies. Like others have said, chewing and/or having lots of food on your plate really does help!

JUST GIVE IT A CHANCE, 2 WEEKS IS ALL!!

A man asked Gautama Buddha, "I want happiness." Buddha said, "First remove "I," that's Ego, then remove "want," that's Desire. See now you are left with only "Happiness.”
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 04:33 PM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
Self-knowledge is one of the most precious gifts a healthy WOE gives to us.

Start your DD where you need to. Make time to think about what you ate and how you reacted then plan your meals - DD and UD. Start where you need to start then reduce calories at a rate that works for you.

This is worth working for.
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 04:34 PM   #8
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: adillenal
I was one of those that had zero energy on my DD's until someone suggested I add some carbs. I now eat 1 cup of oat groats for B on DD's and I am not hungry until 1 or 2 pm and then have some split pea soup with shirataki noodles which holds me until dinner. Today is a DD and I am not hungry and it is 6pm so I may not eat anything else. just drink fluids. And now I have energy. The coffee with HWC and egg whites weren't doing it for me.
So there are many ways to do DD's. You just hve to find what works for you.
181.0/168.0/145 07/25/11 The Rice Diet
181.4/179.0/145 Atkins 72 10/31/11
180/132/139 JUDDD 01/01/2011
157/148/139 JUDDD 07/28/2014
adillenal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 06:56 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Avicenna
Stats: 215/190's/somewhere in the 170's
WOE: 30 day whole food challenge
Start Date: July 2011 (JUDDD in February 2012)
Hi,

It sounds like that might be a sign of low blood sugar? If you are feeling ill to the point of nausea and dizziness, maybe you should eat something with a bit of sugars (for instance, a bit of milk or honey) to help recover?

I guess you don't have to worry about insulin spikes with low carb except you might try avoiding artificial sweetners to see if that is affecting your insulin levels.
Avicenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 01:49 PM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: b_lou_who
Stats: 2014 was195/now186.9 5'7" 44
WOE: whole organic low-sugars IF vegan
Start Date: 1997
A thing I discovered that really helps my down days start right is chia almond milk. I prep enough for a couple days in advance.
Just one tbsp chia seeds in one cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk soaked overnight. Can add 2-3 drops stevia. I drink it mid morning and take my supplements. Don't get upset tummy, have a real boost in energy, and it lasts me til mid afternoon. All for under 100 Cal.
and so good for you!
b_lou_who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 10:52 AM   #11
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/<275/<160 (5'7")
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: restart 6/12/14 @ 289.4
Hey Melissa--
I just wanted to suggest that instead of picking a random number or even one recommended by other JUDDDers (sorry, Beeb!), check the calculator and try a higher percentage. A number that works great for one person might be too little (or too much) for someone of a different height or age, not to mention activity and exercise levels!

For example, when I first tried JUDDD, I lost stupendously well on 1000-1200 calorie DDs, with zero exercise! After a while, I surprised myself with effortless 600- or even 400-calorie days, even when I had more food planned & already cooked. However, I was taking metformin (a diabetes med) & when I ate such small amounts of food, I suffered terrible stomach cramps and diarrhea. Also, I noticed that the longer I delayed eating on DDs, the longer it would take to fall asleep at night.

I took a break from JUDDD to get my insomnia under control, and am trying it again without metformin.

The "magic" might not kick in quite so quickly on higher calories, but IMO it's better than not trying JUDDD at all! You can always go lower as you get more comfortable, and even do the "official" induction after you've been semi-JUDDDing for a while. (It's not like the Atkins induction, which you're not supposed to do repeatedly or fall back on everytime you get off track.)

Good luck!
New lows, 2014:
7/25....276.2
8/01....274.6
8/02....274.2
8/03....273.6
8/04....271.6
piratejenny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 10:59 AM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: oropendola
Stats: 221.4/186.6/160
WOE: Belly Fat Cure -> JUDDD -> JUDDD + DrK
Start Date: January 2, 2012 -> March 8 -> July 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by b_lou_who View Post
A thing I discovered that really helps my down days start right is chia almond milk. I prep enough for a couple days in advance.
Just one tbsp chia seeds in one cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk soaked overnight. Can add 2-3 drops stevia. I drink it mid morning and take my supplements. Don't get upset tummy, have a real boost in energy, and it lasts me til mid afternoon. All for under 100 Cal.
and so good for you!
Thanks, I'll try this.
oropendola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 12:49 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: fixin
Stats: 5 ft 9 140/128/130
WOE: cycling carbs and calories (JUDD Enthusiast)
Quote:
and so good for you!
Does it set up like the pudding? I like the idea of it but would rather spoon it in than drink it. I think it takes 3Tbs of chia to make a tapioca pudding consistency doesn't it?I've never tried it but read about it. Have you ever tried this chia idea with a little glucomannan to help thicken more?
fixin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 10:42 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lisamt
Stats: 200/187/130
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: December 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by fixin View Post
Does it set up like the pudding? I like the idea of it but would rather spoon it in than drink it. I think it takes 3Tbs of chia to make a tapioca pudding consistency doesn't it?I've never tried it but read about it. Have you ever tried this chia idea with a little glucomannan to help thicken more?
1 tablespoon would probably not be enough for the almond milk to set up like pudding. Chia seeds have 68 calories per tablespoon, so 3 tbsp plus the almond milk would add up to 244 calories. To me that seems like a lot to use up on a DD.

I put chia seeds in sugar free lemonade or iced tea and let it sit overnight in the fridge. It's fun to drink and chia seeds are supposed to be a good source of omega 3's.
lisamt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 11:07 PM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Buttercup204
Stats: 204/197/165
WOE: NK/JUDDD
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHappy View Post
I can only give you thoughts to consider. And these will, of course, be from my own perspective, which is NOT very low carb. I'm a mid-level carb gal myself.

While low carb gives many people appetite suppression, it just didn't for me. I was always hungry on it. And since JUDDD is a calorie-based and focused plan, and since so many of the very low carb foods are calorie dense, that meant I got very, very little food on my Down Days. Bummer, bummer, bummer! No wonder people have headaches. LOL

So I eat a whole lot more FOOD on DDs. I need plates of FOOD. I need forkFULS of food to chew on. For breakfast, I like 4 or 5 egg whites (no yolks) scrambled up with sliced fresh mushrooms and sliced fresh spinach, and some chopped onion. And maybe sprinkled over with some chopped tomato. But..... for Down Days, I don't do the *swimming in butter* thing or the *covered in melting cheese* thing with my omelettes. Calorie control.

Make your lunch be a HUGE skillet full of sliced cabbage, cooking in a bit of water or chicken broth 'til wonderfully tender, and add in a wedge or two of Laughing Cow reduced calorie cheese (actually really, really good LOL) and maybe some shrimps in it. You can have a pile of this stuff.. delicious.. filling.. healthful food.. very low calories.

Big, big supper. Chinese stir fry - General Tso's Chicken (sort of) with broccoli, green peppers, onions, carrot, mushrooms, and some chicken breast. A big skillet-ful, and topped off with my very low calorie sweet and hot and spicy General Tso's sauce.

I drink iced tea all day long. Glasses full of it, through a straw. (I have my coffee w/cream on Up Days.) Maybe I opt for mugs of hot tea. Mugs of hot broth are good to sip on too.

There is no reason to be hungry on Down Days.

And yes, if you have to start with 1000 calorie Down Days, start there. But I'll bet you won't have to. Or stay that high for long. Once you get into it, your appetite becomes a whole lot more *normalized* and there are so many here who can tell you that they didn't think they could do it, and now they choose to, enjoy doing, a very, very low calorie fast on their Down Days. So.. will wonders never cease. And the pounds keep melting away and melting away. Every month ends with their bodies being slimmer, their waists and hips being smaller, the old clothing being looser and baggy in the seat.

Don't give up. Just keep asking for help and suggestions. Once you DO get into it, the rewards are AMAZING, and they extend to far more than mere weight loss!!! Please believe me.
Great suggestions! I have the same trouble with appetite on LC sometimes and have found more success (surprisingly after 2 yrs LC) with adding back some grains and low fat or non fat options on my DDs. I bought small mini whole grain bagels (100cals) and have those with FF cream cheese for breakfast or 1/2c of old fashioned oats w/cinnamon or egg beaters on my DD breakfasts, a shake for lunch and a salad w/chicken at dinner. If I am super hungry or desperate for something I will eat veggies and protein (hard boiled egg or mozzerella cheese and celery or cucumber). I avoid piles of veggies as it seems to make me hungrier but some are pretty good. I seem to do well if I cut myself off from eating around 7-8pm on a DD, no snacks no nothing unless I am ready to gnaw my arm off - then I have something small. I have to watch my salt or I bloat and lose nothing. It's weird. However I am learning as I go and finding it refreshing to have some more non-LC foods here and there and find I am still losing or losing better! I do still love my cream in my coffee which I allow on UDs but have FF or no creamer in my coffee on DDs. It's a small price to pay for the good stuff every other day!

-Michelle
2nd Mini-goal: 190
3rd Mini-goal: 185
4th Mini-goal: 180
5th Mini-goal: 175
6th Mini -goal: 170
Goal: 155-165 & size 8/10 or whatever weight gets rid of my wobbly bits!
Buttercup204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 02:24 AM   #16
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
I have found with a little SF jelly or a sprinkling of salt, my arm is quite tasty.
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 04:48 AM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: becky123abc
Stats: 205/199/160 5'5.5"
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotsomeold View Post
I have found with a little SF jelly or a sprinkling of salt, my arm is quite tasty.
I'd love to hang out with you sometime!!
becky123abc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 05:56 AM   #18

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/146.4/145, 5'9", 41 y.o., Hypothyroid
WOE: Back to JUDDD!
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisamt View Post
1 tablespoon would probably not be enough for the almond milk to set up like pudding. Chia seeds have 68 calories per tablespoon, so 3 tbsp plus the almond milk would add up to 244 calories. To me that seems like a lot to use up on a DD.

I put chia seeds in sugar free lemonade or iced tea and let it sit overnight in the fridge. It's fun to drink and chia seeds are supposed to be a good source of omega 3's.
I like chia seeds in water with a little pomegranate/berry Mio. It tastes and feels like you're eating a pomegranate.
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 09:09 AM   #19
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: oropendola
Stats: 221.4/186.6/160
WOE: Belly Fat Cure -> JUDDD -> JUDDD + DrK
Start Date: January 2, 2012 -> March 8 -> July 6
Quote:
and so good for you!
I really enjoyed this for lunch yesterday (yep, changed my menu again lol) and I wasn't hungry until dinner. Thanks!
oropendola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 10:11 AM   #20
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: DD80
Stats: 188/165.0/145 5'10"
WOE: Organic GrassFed Gluten-Free 5/13 Dairy Free 2/14
Start Date: 1/10/12 Medi, 2/9/12 First UD, 1/1/13 New Plan
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotsomeold View Post
That made me almost spit out my tea.
DD80 is offline   Reply With Quote