Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2012, 01:02 PM   #1
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/150/150
WOE: Whatever plan keeps me around 150 lbs!
A little advice please . . . long post.

It's a bit early to be tweaking based on my numbers below, but I'm THINKING about raising my calories a little bit. I generally have pretty steady losses, but as you can see, the last week or so has not been stellar in terms of loss.

Here's the history: I have lowered my calories twice since I started JUDDD, both times when weight loss slowed, and I didn't lower them by very much. This jump-started loss again.

I have since been diagnosed hypothyroid, and started medication on 3/11/12 - Just 11 days ago. Since then, I've been virtually the same weight! I got a new scale, so the "gain" I had I'm thinking is just about the difference and not a true gain.

My current calories are 2005/401 at 20%, and I keep really close to that. That's based on a weight of 200 lbs and was working quite well when I lowered to that. It looks to me like the slow down happened within a couple of days of starting the medication. It's supposed to take as long as 6-8 weeks for the medication to stabilize, but it's supposed to help to regulate metabolism and hopefully make it better/faster.

What I'm wondering is if it's starting to do its job and my body is seeing my lowered calories as "starvation" mode. If I input my "current" weight, the calculator gives me 2178/436 at 20%. I'm wondering if that's what I should be aiming for, now that I know I dropped calories based on a less than optimally functioning thyroid. Though that may be wishful thinking because I want to eat more!

Anyone have any good advice? Or even mediocre advice? Heck all advice is welcome. I'd like to know if I should RAISE my calories, LOWER them, or LEAVE THEM ALONE, and how long I should wait. I'm thinking if there's no real movement by Sunday, that would be two weeks since I started the medication and it might be a good time to mix things up.

Below is my daily weigh-in tracker entry. Thanks BUDDDs in advance for any advice!

Goal for March - 230
2000/500

Date - Weight - Day - Calories
03/01 - 237.8 - DD - 313
03/02 - 238.4 - UD - 1980
03/03 - 237.4 - DD - 406
03/04 - 235.6 - UD - 1940
03/05 - 235.8 - DD - 388
03/06 - 235.0 - MD - 1075
03/07 - 233.4 - UD - 1875
03/08 - 234.2 - DD - 364
03/09 - 234.2 - UD - 1960
03/10 - 234.2 - DD - 395
03/11 - 234.0 - UD - 1979, started Levothyroxine.
03/12 - 233.4 - DD - 437
03/13 - 232.6 - UD - 1988
03/14 - 232.6 - DD - 359
03/15 - 232.4 - UD - 1959
03/16 - DNW - DD - 398 (Scale broke)
03/17 - DNW - UD - 1970
03/18 - 233.2 - DD - 366 (New Scale)
03/19 - 233.2 - UD - 1986
03/20 - 233.0 - DD - 375
03/21 - 233.2 - UD - 2005
03/22 - 233.2 - DD - >500 This is getting ridiculous!

JUDDD got me where I want to be!
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-22-2012, 01:11 PM   #2
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Yam-Yam
Stats: 230/191/165 @5'9"tall and 60 yrs. alive
WOE: Dukan 8/1/11 and now JUDDD
Start Date: 8/1/11 RE-start 1/1/14
I have two things to say. I'm sure someone smarter than me who has been doing this longer will have better advice but you said any would do....

1. I recently raised my calories by 200 (from 1700 to 1900) and immediately the scale dropped. I mean I had my first 1900 day, then a DD which was my best ever probably because my body got that bit of extra nourishment, and the scale went down -3 pounds after that DD. One of the biggest whooshes I've seen! I had lowered my UD limit because I thought I would lose faster. But what I think happened it it just made it harder for me to stick to my DDs.

2. That said, I have noticed from your stats before that sometimes you have several consecutive days of weighing exactly the same sometimes. I'm like that too! It seems every now and then my body picks a weight, really likes it and will either keep going back to it after bouncing up or down, OR will just stick there day after day right down to the decimal point sometimes.

At those times, I believe the fat melting is still going on but the scale has not caught up.

I hope the meds do the trick for you. Hang in there! You are doing really great and have come a long way, Baby!

"Weight loss isn't about winning a race; it's about crossing the finish line at your own pace." -Dianna Rodriguiz

current numbers: 1975/395
goal numbers: 1700/350 (just a reminder)
Yam-Yam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 01:12 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: DD80
Stats: 188/165.0/145 5'10"
WOE: Organic GrassFed Gluten-Free 5/13 Dairy Free 2/14
Start Date: 1/10/12 Medi, 2/9/12 First UD, 1/1/13 New Plan
It will take awhile for your body to adjust to the meds. Honestly, it took at least a year before I got to a dose and combination that was good for me. I've done a few tweeks since then, but all in all, it took a long time to initially see a difference.

That being said, I have a few questions...

How hungry are you on your current cals?
When do you take your meds?
What med did they put you on and dose?
Are you taking any supplements?
Have you changed anything else (any other meds, started exercising, etc)?
Have you noticed any improvement in your symptoms of hypo since you started the meds? For me, it took a long time to not feel fatigued...that's when I really knew my body was adjusting to the meds. I also didn't have huge swings in water weight anymore.

Last edited by DD80; 03-22-2012 at 01:13 PM..
DD80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 01:30 PM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: sterlinggirl
Stats: 225/166/165 48 5'9.. 11-18-14 #176.
WOE: JUDDD FOR LIFE!
Start Date: Jan 2012. Name Kimberly
all i got is this and of course this
sterlinggirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 01:33 PM   #5

[QUOTE=DD80;15517760]It will take awhile for your body to adjust to the meds. Honestly, it took at least a year before I got to a dose and combination that was good for me. I've done a few tweeks since then, but all in all, it took a long time to initially see a difference.

How hungry are you on your current cals? A little bit, but it's not too bad, though I am hungrier since starting the meds. I just deal with it.
When do you take your meds? Thyroid around 4:30 a.m., the rest at 6:00 a.m.
What med did they put you on and dose? Levothyroxine 25 mcg to start, said they'd most likely need to increase it.
Are you taking any supplements? I take Atenolol, a multivitamin, and Claritin in the morning, and Benadryl at night.
Have you changed anything else (any other meds, started exercising, etc)? Nope.
Have you noticed any improvement in your symptoms of hypo since you started the meds? For me, it took a long time to not feel fatigued...that's when I really knew my body was adjusting to the meds. I also didn't have huge swings in water weight anymore. I have a small window of about 4 hours in the morning when I feel almost human, and I'm only freezing about 2/3 of the time now instead of ALL the time. No change in the other symptoms. [QUOTE]
Old 03-22-2012, 01:34 PM   #6

Thanks Yam and Kimberly!
Old 03-22-2012, 01:36 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DD80 View Post
It will take awhile for your body to adjust to the meds. Honestly, it took at least a year before I got to a dose and combination that was good for me. I've done a few tweeks since then, but all in all, it took a long time to initially see a difference.

How hungry are you on your current cals?
When do you take your meds?
What med did they put you on and dose?
Are you taking any supplements?
Have you changed anything else (any other meds, started exercising, etc)?
Have you noticed any improvement in your symptoms of hypo since you started the meds? For me, it took a long time to not feel fatigued...that's when I really knew my body was adjusting to the meds. I also didn't have huge swings in water weight anymore.
Also, looking at your numbers, you average about 1150 cals for the two days. You are tall like me and I'm thinking that you probably need to up your cals a little. I'd up your DDs a bit to like 500 and stay around 2000-2100. You never go over your UD cal limit and stay a bit under. I'm not sure if that's a good thing. I think you might want to err on the side of over.

But, answers to the above questions will help too.
Old 03-22-2012, 01:43 PM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeirasMom View Post

How hungry are you on your current cals? A little bit, but it's not too bad, though I am hungrier since starting the meds. I just deal with it.
When do you take your meds? Thyroid around 4:30 a.m., the rest at 6:00 a.m.
What med did they put you on and dose? Levothyroxine 25 mcg to start, said they'd most likely need to increase it.
Are you taking any supplements? I take Atenolol, a multivitamin, and Claritin in the morning, and Benadryl at night.
Have you changed anything else (any other meds, started exercising, etc)? Nope.
Have you noticed any improvement in your symptoms of hypo since you started the meds? For me, it took a long time to not feel fatigued...that's when I really knew my body was adjusting to the meds. I also didn't have huge swings in water weight anymore. I have a small window of about 4 hours in the morning when I feel almost human, and I'm only freezing about 2/3 of the time now instead of ALL the time. No change in the other symptoms.
We cross-posted!

So, #1, you know to not have any dairy within at least 2 hours of taking your levothyroxine? 4 hours is preferable, especially for calcium supplements. I try for at least 2.

Sounds like they will need to up your meds a bit. That's a very small dose. For now, since you are hungrier, I suggest that you need to start eating a bit more cals. I'd try up to 2200 UDs and 500 DDs. That's an average of 1350, which still works for weight loss. I am hungrier in the mornings (because of my pill at 6 am), so I tend to eat more food for breakfast and lunch. Find a schedule that works for you. I think that if you were losing before meds, then you will definitely need to up your cals now that you are on them.

My body temperature has never really regulated and I'm usually freezing before I go to bed. But, I'll wake up hot if I have too many clothes on. I still have times when I just cannot get warm. Then, once I finally warm up, I'm boiling. It's gotten better, but not perfect by any means.

I hope that helps!
Old 03-22-2012, 01:46 PM   #9

Quote:
We cross-posted!

So, #1, you know to not have any dairy within at least 2 hours of taking your levothyroxine? 4 hours is preferable, especially for calcium supplements. I try for at least 2.

Sounds like they will need to up your meds a bit. That's a very small dose. For now, since you are hungrier, I suggest that you need to start eating a bit more cals. I'd try up to 2200 UDs and 500 DDs. That's an average of 1350, which still works for weight loss. I am hungrier in the mornings (because of my pill at 6 am), so I tend to eat more food for breakfast and lunch. Find a schedule that works for you. I think that if you were losing before meds, then you will definitely need to up your cals now that you are on them.

My body temperature has never really regulated and I'm usually freezing before I go to bed. But, I'll wake up hot if I have too many clothes on. I still have times when I just cannot get warm. Then, once I finally warm up, I'm boiling. It's gotten better, but not perfect by any means.

I hope that helps!
That does help. Question: Dr. did say I need to get Calcium (1200mg) and Vitamin D (600-800 IU). I take my Levoythyroxine very first thing when I get up. Will I need to wait 2 hours AFTER I take it to take the calcium, or is it just the 2 hours leading up to the thyroid med that matters? Gosh I feel like such a noob!
Old 03-22-2012, 01:55 PM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
That does help. Question: Dr. did say I need to get Calcium (1200mg) and Vitamin D (600-800 IU). I take my Levoythyroxine very first thing when I get up. Will I need to wait 2 hours AFTER I take it to take the calcium, or is it just the 2 hours leading up to the thyroid med that matters? Gosh I feel like such a noob!
Don't worry about it! We've all been there...well, those with hypo have.

You should wait at least 2 hours to take your calcium supplement, but preferably 4... So, if you take your levothyroxine (T4) at 4:30am, then I wouldn't take your calcium supp until 8:30 am. Perhaps take your vitamins at lunch.
Old 03-22-2012, 02:47 PM   #11
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
You need to take calcium 4 hours away from any thyroid med (before and after). My pharmacist says that dairy 'might' be OK with just two hours, but any supplement has to be 4 hours at least.

I don't want to rain on your parade, but our thyroid meds don't affect metabolism as you're hoping. Once you're hypothyroid, your metabolism usually remains slower. The meds (actually thyroid hormones) are designed to insure that we maintain our basic bodily functions that are controlled by the thyroid--heart rate for one.

There's a myth that thyroid meds help us lose weight, and a few years ago, we had a scandal at our community hospital when 3 nurses stole thyroid meds to help them lose. More recently, some young woman gave herself a heart attack because she increased her meds on her own to 'help' her lose weight. My point is that if you take too much T3, you'll give yourself cardiac problems before you lost any weight from the meds.

The reason that your doctor started you on a low dosage is that our bodies need to become used to incoming hormones. For example, when I began, my endo tried to start me on 50mcg of Levoxyl (T4)--a fairly lose dose, and she intended to raise it to 75 mcg within a few weeks. Within 24 hours, I was having heart palpitations, and she had to lower my dose to 25 mcg, and it was almost a year before I was finally at the dose I needed.
Leo41 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 02:53 PM   #12
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
No advice, just
gotsomeold is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 03:09 PM   #13
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: sophiethecat
Stats: 170+/135-138/145 5'6 39y pcos/IR/metformin
WOE: WL=LC then JUDDD/IF; Maintenance=IF/75%+ "healthy"
Start Date: LC 6/11; JUDDD 10/11; Maintenance 11/11
Sorry I don't have any advice since I don't know anything about hypothyroid, but sounds like several on here are also patients and know what they are talking about. Just wanted to give you some It must be a very frustrating thing you're going through and also you may be feeling overwhelmed since it's all so new and there's so much to learn about this condition. Do you see your doc again soon? Hopefully s/he will be able to tell you what to expect with regards to calories/diet and weight loss, also about your meds. again.
MAINTENANCE since 11/12/11, & have lost more weight. I shake things up all the time with my version of Pirate Jenny's MUDDD, my "Fast 5" & other IF. ...low-moderate fat....and eating "healthy" foods 75+% of the time which lets me have real life and indulgences too I've reached my goals, improved my health & appearance, and enjoy my lifetime woe!
sophiethecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 03:39 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by sophiethecat View Post
Sorry I don't have any advice since I don't know anything about hypothyroid, but sounds like several on here are also patients and know what they are talking about. Just wanted to give you some It must be a very frustrating thing you're going through and also you may be feeling overwhelmed since it's all so new and there's so much to learn about this condition. Do you see your doc again soon? Hopefully s/he will be able to tell you what to expect with regards to calories/diet and weight loss, also about your meds. again.
Thanks Sofie. I get more bloodwork in 6 weeks, then go back for another consultation. One thing that ticks me off is that my mom always told us she didn't have any medical issues. She passed away 7 years ago, and my aunt just mentioned that EVERYONE on that side of the family has thyroid issues, and my mom was medicated since she was a teenager. That's a whole other story, but I sure would've been monitoring it earlier if I'd known! Sheesh! Okay, rant over.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotsomeold View Post
No advice, just
Thanks, Nancy!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo41 View Post
You need to take calcium 4 hours away from any thyroid med (before and after). My pharmacist says that dairy 'might' be OK with just two hours, but any supplement has to be 4 hours at least.

I don't want to rain on your parade, but our thyroid meds don't affect metabolism as you're hoping. Once you're hypothyroid, your metabolism usually remains slower. The meds (actually thyroid hormones) are designed to insure that we maintain our basic bodily functions that are controlled by the thyroid--heart rate for one.

There's a myth that thyroid meds help us lose weight, and a few years ago, we had a scandal at our community hospital when 3 nurses stole thyroid meds to help them lose. More recently, some young woman gave herself a heart attack because she increased her meds on her own to 'help' her lose weight. My point is that if you take too much T3, you'll give yourself cardiac problems before you lost any weight from the meds.

The reason that your doctor started you on a low dosage is that our bodies need to become used to incoming hormones. For example, when I began, my endo tried to start me on 50mcg of Levoxyl (T4)--a fairly lose dose, and she intended to raise it to 75 mcg within a few weeks. Within 24 hours, I was having heart palpitations, and she had to lower my dose to 25 mcg, and it was almost a year before I was finally at the dose I needed.
I knew it wouldn't increase my metabolism higher than when it was at "my" best, but I was sure hoping it would get back to where it was with medication. DRAT! Thank you for all your feedback. I know you're very well informed. It's a little bit to process.
Quote:
Don't worry about it! We've all been there...well, those with hypo have.

You should wait at least 2 hours to take your calcium supplement, but preferably 4... So, if you take your levothyroxine (T4) at 4:30am, then I wouldn't take your calcium supp until 8:30 am. Perhaps take your vitamins at lunch.
That sounds like a great idea. I think I'll start taking all my vitamins/supplements with lunch to be on the safe side.

I'm not really sure what to do about the atenolol though.
Old 03-22-2012, 04:17 PM   #15
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
Dawn- We're all unique, and how your body responds to the incoming hormones is still unknown (takes 6-8 weeks for T4 to take effect). You may be one of the 'lucky' ones who gets back to 'normal.'

The important thing is to be regularly checked. I was totally stable on my meds for almost 5 years, but I've had 4 dosage adjustments in the past 18 months because there's no predictor of how this progresses.

Also, get and keep copies of all your lab work. I find it really valuable to have a personal record for comparison purposes when I have discussions with my endo about treatment. This is a condition you'll deal with for the rest of your life, and you want to be pro-active about your care.
Leo41 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 04:28 PM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo41 View Post
Dawn- We're all unique, and how your body responds to the incoming hormones is still unknown (takes 6-8 weeks for T4 to take effect). You may be one of the 'lucky' ones who gets back to 'normal.'

The important thing is to be regularly checked. I was totally stable on my meds for almost 5 years, but I've had 4 dosage adjustments in the past 18 months because there's no predictor of how this progresses.

Also, get and keep copies of all your lab work. I find it really valuable to have a personal record for comparison purposes when I have discussions with my endo about treatment. This is a condition you'll deal with for the rest of your life, and you want to be pro-active about your care.
I agree on all accounts. I'm not back to "normal," but my metabolism is a heck of a lot better now that I'm on meds. I think that since you still lost weight pretty easily unmedicated, you will probably have luck with the meds. But, that being said, it is a wait and see game.

And, I take some generic allergy meds about a 1/2 hour to 45 mins after my thyroid pill and don't have a problem. Perhaps you can take your claritan and atenolol at 6am still, but leave the supps for lunch.

Last edited by DD80; 03-22-2012 at 04:30 PM..
Old 03-22-2012, 04:36 PM   #17
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: No Diet = No Stress! Just eating healthy!
I know nothing about thyroid issues but here is a for you and I just think you should wait to adjust to the meds and then see what happens.

Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 04:53 PM   #18

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
Another hypothyroid patient here. For decades. I do well, personally, at 100 mcg of levothyroxine. I feel lucky.

And I agree with Leo.. no boost to metabolic rate from getting on the meds. I also had hoped, so many years ago, that it would return me to my old metabolic rate, before I'd crashed and burned, but no.. it didn't.. just as the Doctor had said it wouldn't. But it allows me to feel well.

As to your calories, I just recommend that you do the cals that were recommended to you using the JUDDD calculator. Higher than your maintenance on UDs, and very low on your DDs to encourage all the benefits that are our gifts from this way of eating.

I know weight loss is slower for you now than you have experienced it previously. Rats. And I know you've been about the same weight for about the last week or week and 1/2... but a *pause* like that is just not unusual at all, not alarming at all, not really worrisome at all. I expect your losses will continue after this little break.

Do you measure yourself? As has been reported here over and over, many are seeing strong changes in their measurements when the scale is not showing them any darned changes at all!

Hang in there. Well, I know you will, but I just want you to relax and have confidence that you will continue to lose weight. Getting started on thyroid meds will only make your life, and your overall health, better as you progress. You'll feel better. But that all may just be another part of your life and your feeling of well being, aside and separate from JUDDD.

Last edited by SoHappy; 03-22-2012 at 04:55 PM..
SoHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 05:15 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHappy View Post
Another hypothyroid patient here. For decades. I do well, personally, at 100 mcg of levothyroxine. I feel lucky.

And I agree with Leo.. no boost to metabolic rate from getting on the meds. I also had hoped, so many years ago, that it would return me to my old metabolic rate, before I'd crashed and burned, but no.. it didn't.. just as the Doctor had said it wouldn't. But it allows me to feel well.

As to your calories, I just recommend that you do the cals that were recommended to you using the JUDDD calculator. Higher than your maintenance on UDs, and very low on your DDs to encourage all the benefits that are our gifts from this way of eating.

I know weight loss is slower for you now than you have experienced it previously. Rats. And I know you've been about the same weight for about the last week or week and 1/2... but a *pause* like that is just not unusual at all, not alarming at all, not really worrisome at all. I expect your losses will continue after this little break.

Do you measure yourself? As has been reported here over and over, many are seeing strong changes in their measurements when the scale is not showing them any darned changes at all!

Hang in there. Well, I know you will, but I just want you to relax and have confidence that you will continue to lose weight. Getting started on thyroid meds will only make your life, and your overall health, better as you progress. You'll feel better. But that all may just be another part of your life and your feeling of well being, aside and separate from JUDDD.
I have not measured, and I know I should, I just really don't want to know. I'd like to say I'm not one to look for a quick fix, but it sure is nice when the weight's just flying off. Once I had such great success as I've been having, it's really hard to see the slow down. I know it's normal, but I sure don't want it to be. Pat, you're always so no-nonsense, calm, and patient. I sure need to work on that in myself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeb View Post
I know nothing about thyroid issues but here is a for you and I just think you should wait to adjust to the meds and then see what happens.

Thanks Linda.

Knowing me, a whoosh is right around the corner, and I'll feel foolish for even thinking about changing my numbers when it happens. I totally trust JUDDD, but was not-so-secretly hoping this slow-down was directly attributable to my medicine.
Old 03-22-2012, 05:47 PM   #20
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Knowing me, a whoosh is right around the corner, and I'll feel foolish for even thinking about changing my numbers when it happens. I totally trust JUDDD, but was not-so-secretly hoping this slow-down was directly attributable to my medicine.
It might be due to your medicine. Your body is trying to figure out how much thyroid it needs to produce, if any at all. Once it adjusts, you'll be back on track.
Old 03-22-2012, 08:29 PM   #21
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sunday
Stats: 225/145/ ...
WOE: Perfect Health Diet- 16hr Daily Fast
Start Date: JUDDD - 2/01/12 Began at 200, Goal 130
I am hypo on Armour Thyroid 30 mg and I agree 100% with Leo! She knows and thankfully she is the one who helped me !!!

It is what it is. I can't take too much thyroid or I feel miserable when I lay down at night. My Dr. dx me 60 mg at 1st and I couldn't handle it. I could feel my heart beating way too fast! I can't eat as high of cals as I should be either. I am slow metabolism for life.

I notice you are doing so well on JUDDD, that it may have ZERO affect on you!

BEST wishes on your new meds!
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ot...th-august.html
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 05:47 AM   #22

Thank you all.

Mini whoosh this morning. 232.4

It's not earth shattering, but at least it's something! So I shall keep on keeping on and hope it keeps moving.