Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   JUDDD (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/)
-   -   medical question (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/764081-medical-question.html)

Karinala 03-22-2012 12:30 PM

medical question

Had something really interesting happen this morning. I just got a new job as an RN in a hospital close to my home and had my prescreening physical. They did a urine dip stick for about 7 different things, and of course, it showed me in deep ketosis; that one I could explain. What came as a real shock was that my urine showed some trace rbc's , leukocytes and protein. (no sugar though!) These things can be a sign of kidney issues, yet I am feeling no burn or pain at all with that system of my body. What I am wondering is if anyone knows with eating very LC and drinking lots of water (but I don't think over hydrating) and then doing the JUDDD plan if the kidneys are extra stressed getting rid of all the waste products? I may not really get an answer, but if anyone happened to have lab work done have you experienced anything you did not expect? I just coincidentally have an annual physical scheduled with my own doc on Monday, and I have all the values from today written out to show him and expect some further lab work to check on it. I actually feel fantastic, and have been steadily going down--really like this way of eating. Will let you all know if I find out anything interesting. Thanks!

KeirasMom 03-22-2012 12:33 PM

I don't have an answer, but I think if you're feeling well, you shouldn't be too concerned. Especially since you have another exam coming up with your primary. I'd just have him/her run the same tests and compare.

Kissa 03-22-2012 01:45 PM

No idea sorry. I eat carbs now and only occasionally go into ketosis on a DD.

Hope you enjoy the new job. :)

DD80 03-22-2012 01:47 PM

I have no idea. I'm sorry. :( I hope all is well. Keep us informed!

sophiethecat 03-22-2012 02:27 PM

I don't know either. If you weren't feeling well, it would seem like kidney or UTI or some other infection. But since that's not the case and you feel fantastic, then maybe it's from the LC diet & ketosis. :dunno:

It's good that you're getting it all checked again by your regular doctor. We'll look forward to the result. :hugs:

Karinala 03-22-2012 02:32 PM

possibility?

I am also wondering if my session of REALLY heavy duty gardening and weeding might have contributed. Am I remembering correctly that heavy exercise (think marathon runners, which I am FAR from:hyst:)can cause blood in the urine? Just thinking on paper here!

Leo41 03-22-2012 02:34 PM

I've done JUDDD for about 3 years. I also eat very low carb.

Because I'm hypothyroid, I have lab work every four months, and I've never had any issues at all--my endo does a complete work up every 8 months, but my primary does also, so I'm fully checked on a regular basis.

sophiethecat 03-22-2012 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Karinala (Post 15518011)
I am also wondering if my session of REALLY heavy duty gardening and weeding might have contributed. Am I remembering correctly that heavy exercise (think marathon runners, which I am FAR from:hyst:)can cause blood in the urine? Just thinking on paper here!

You never know - it may have something to do with the extra stress on your body lately, from exercise as well as JUDDD (though we consider both of those a good stress usually, your body may still be going through its processes of dealing with the big changes). Your doctor will be able to tell your for sure. :hugs:

DD80 03-22-2012 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Karinala (Post 15518011)

Sounds like a UTI to be honest. Maybe the symptoms just haven't hit you? Or you drink enough water to slow it down? I am interested to see what your Dr says. You should ask them to call in for blood work so you can get it done before you go in.

ellgee 03-22-2012 03:00 PM

The leukocytes might have come from the skin and carried into the urine. Did they say if you had positive nitrites? That's usually what we look for in patients with a UTI. A trace of protein is pretty minimal. The RBCs have me stumped, though. Could it be TOM is just starting?

Laura

alibaba 03-22-2012 03:23 PM

Did they only use the dip sticks? No actual urinalysis? I bought the 7 test sticks when I was doing Atkins to test for ketones, b/c they were cheaper than the plain old keto sticks. After the bottle had been open for a few weeks, I started getting really weird results for some of the tests. I was getting false positives for everything . So maybe they just used an old/ defective strip?

Karinala 03-22-2012 04:03 PM

all good thoughts--I'm past TOM years :jump joy: so no rbc's there. It was just so strange to have all those results with no UTI symptoms. I'll post whatever I learn--again, obviously there are people here with lots of knowledge of the body so I appreciate picking your brains.

Beeb 03-22-2012 04:32 PM

I have been thinking about your thread all day and I am just wondering why eating more carbs would cause kidney issues of any kind? It's not like we are overloading on carbs in one day, and most are doing a LC WOE along with JUDDD, as I'm assuming you are, too if you are still in ketosis. Why then would the JUDDD WOE along with still LCing cause a kidney overload? All JUDDD does is ask us to restrict our calories every other day. I can't see how this would cause a problem, kidney wise. And your sugar was OK, you said? I'm just :stars: because I just don't see the connection you are thinking of.

I also think you could be having a UTI. I have had those in the past with no signs until it got really bad then BAM, I was over the top and knew something needed to be do and quick! :cry:

Karinala 03-22-2012 06:29 PM

I was thinking that possibly the kidneys are working extra hard to rid us of waste products which are undoubtedly more than when not doing JUDDD or Atkins. I am strict lc even on JUDDD so far, but have been gradually adding. I have so little appetite that it is hard to make myself eat--I would love to hold on to this symptom of ketosis, but think the hunger will kick back in when I add a certain level of carbs. Yeah, there may be absolutely no tie in at all, and watch, at my physical everything will read normal. I am on the alert now for any signs of a UTI though! Thanks for helping me think.:confused:

sophiethecat 03-22-2012 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Karinala (Post 15518639)
I was thinking that possibly the kidneys are working extra hard to rid us of waste products which are undoubtedly more than when not doing JUDDD or Atkins. I am strict lc even on JUDDD so far, but have been gradually adding. I have so little appetite that it is hard to make myself eat--I would love to hold on to this symptom of ketosis, but think the hunger will kick back in when I add a certain level of carbs. Yeah, there may be absolutely no tie in at all, and watch, at my physical everything will read normal. I am on the alert now for any signs of a UTI though! Thanks for helping me think.:confused:

Just wanted to say that over time on JUDDD, you will develop an appetite suppression too, even if you're not LC.

It's one of the "oddities" of this woe, but it's really so! :)

The effect won't be as strong if you indulge in refined carbs, and you may experience hunger and cravings at that point, but the appetite suppression will quickly come back when you stop indulging in them and just continue the rotation with healthier choices for a bit.

Or at least that's been my experience and some others. :)

gotsomeold 03-22-2012 06:38 PM

JUDDD is a ketogenic diet (your ketostix may continue to show pink on DD) and many people experience appetite suppression once the sirtuin enzymes build up. You may be able to transition over to eating some (or even many) carbs without gaining an appetite.

I think you are making the transition wisely for you - slowly and carefully.

I'm glad you already had a physical scheduled. This does need to be explored (and hopefully will be the way your body 'cleans out the trash')

CONGRATULATIONS on the new job!!

SoHappy 03-23-2012 07:46 AM

There is nothing about JUDDD as a plan that would cause the test results you experienced. If anything, it is healing, not stressing in that way.

I know some people who have certain kidney problems, weaknesses, illnesses, injuries, etc. are not advised to do low carb, or at least not high protein, because of the strain of high protein on our kidney function. But, again, that has nothing to do with JUDDD.

One of the problems is that you have no way of knowing how long this condition has been going on as it has only just now been identified because of this required testing for your new job. I wish you knew how long it has been like this.

Please keep us informed of further information you get about this. Saying a little prayer for you that everything is perfectly all right. :aprayer:

ouizoid 03-23-2012 08:30 AM

just a thought--and doesn't explain the rbc's, which can be scary but sometimes just an idiopathic result, but as our fat stores melt, I do think there is a release of long stored toxins and metabolites that could stress our autoimmune systems to some degree or another. I would expect to see indications of physical stress when we are in wlm on JUDDD. But I think it is what we biochemists would call "hormetic" --a kind of stress that the body NEEDS--that results in healing and well being. Just a theory, but thought I would throw it out there--

thinking good thoughts for you! Hope the doc has some answers--

Ouis

Sammyann 03-23-2012 09:14 AM

"In patients with appendicitis, a urinalysis may demonstrate changes such as mild pyuria, proteinuria and hematuria,1 but the test serves more to exclude urinary tract causes of abdominal pain than to diagnose appendicitis."

Having any lower right quadrant pain? I had the above when I was having a very atypical appendicitis. The first NP I saw thought I had a UTI.

Yours was probably just a fluke though since you said you are feeling fine.