Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2012, 09:25 AM   #1
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Yam-Yam
Stats: 230/191/165 @5'9"tall and 60 yrs. alive
WOE: Dukan 8/1/11 and now JUDDD
Start Date: 8/1/11 RE-start 1/1/14
Can the JUDD BUDDS Help, Please?

I am copying and pasting this in from another thread because I think some wise JUDDers may be able to give Becky some great input.

Becky is a friend of mine from another LC forum and I posted there about JUDD and here she is! Please give words of wisdom/advice/encouragement!

[I]Becky says: "...I'm not sure what to do about carbs...the times I've lost best is when I ate VLC...I did that VERY strictly for about 7 months and lost almost 60 lbs! But I started having cheat weekends (eating whatever carbs I could find for 2-3 days) and over the last 5 or 6 months I've gained about 30 back.

I NEVER counted calories while I was losing...so this is all so new. You know folks like Taubes says calories don't matter as much when your carbs are low...

I'm skeered.... But it's excited to see results you all have had and are having and that's encouraging me to jump right in.

I used to look at all of the "JUDDD" posts and think, "I could never do that!" But here I am!..."

Here is the link to her original thread. TIA for your help, Judders!

Your routine...

"Weight loss isn't about winning a race; it's about crossing the finish line at your own pace." -Dianna Rodriguiz

current numbers: 2000/400
goal numbers: 1700/350 (just a reminder)

Last edited by Yam-Yam; 03-22-2012 at 09:36 AM..
Yam-Yam is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-22-2012, 09:44 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Sammyann
Stats: 162/140.5/maintain 135-139
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: March 2012 re-start Dec. 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yam-Yam View Post
I am copying and pasting this in from another thread because I think some wise JUDDers may be able to give Becky some great input.

Becky is a friend of mine from another LC forum and I posted there about JUDD and here she is! Please give words of wisdom/advice/encouragement!

[I]Becky says: "...I'm not sure what to do about carbs...the times I've lost best is when I ate VLC...I did that VERY strictly for about 7 months and lost almost 60 lbs! But I started having cheat weekends (eating whatever carbs I could find for 2-3 days) and over the last 5 or 6 months I've gained about 30 back.

I NEVER counted calories while I was losing...so this is all so new. You know folks like Taubes says calories don't matter as much when your carbs are low...

I'm skeered.... But it's excited to see results you all have had and are having and that's encouraging me to jump right in.

I used to look at all of the "JUDDD" posts and think, "I could never do that!" But here I am!..."

Your routine...
Welcome! I was scared when I started too, only 2 weeks ago. I said I was going to stay low carb but that went out flying out the window on my first up day. My DD's I've had between 28-57 carbs and UP's I've had between 115-172 carbs. I've lost 4 lbs since starting so eating the carbs hasn't been the problem I thought it will be. Of course everyone will be different. You can do JUDDD any way you want, which is really nice. If you want to try out eating carbs go for it. If it doesn't work you change back. Or stay LC if your happy with it.

I've used ****** in the past to track my calories but I'm finding I like ********* better.

I'm really loving JUDDD and hope you do too.
Sammyann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 10:17 AM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: DD80
Stats: 188/165.0/145 5'10"
WOE: Organic GrassFed Gluten-Free 5/13 Dairy Free 2/14
Start Date: 1/10/12 Medi, 2/9/12 First UD, 1/1/13 New Plan
Quote:

Your routine...
I was totally scared! I was afraid of adding carbs back in...I was afraid of eating that many calories on UDs and being hungry on DDs. I was afraid it wouldn't work for me. I said I was going to "dip my toe in" and so many people on this board came right out and said, "Yeah, I said that too, but now I've jumped head first into the pool." It really helped me to hear that they were scared at first, but now are doing so well and loving the program.

YOU CAN DO THIS!!! I promise. Yes, there are DDs when I wish that I could eat more (like yesterday), but I just allow myself an extra 100 cals or so and I'm happy. There are some UDs where I just don't want to eat...weird, I know. I NEVER thought I'd feel like that.

This is the magic of JUDDD. It is not only helping me lose weight, but it's retraining my mind to think about food differently. I can do anything for one day! I have had issues with food my whole life and have developed some pretty destructive and strange eating patterns. JUDDD really is helping me feel like I am the one in control - which is a feeling I've never had before. I feel like I can do this for a lifetime because there are no forbidden foods. (Tell me something is forbidden and I will eat 19 servings of it). I have never been able to maintain and if anything can help me do that, it's JUDDD. I truly believe that.

And, also important to my journey, I'm losing weight. I wish I had total lost since I switched to JUDDD, but I've definitely lost on this program. I didn't think I would, but I am. AND, I'm eating all the foods that I never thought I could again.

Please jump right in to the program and feel free to ask any questions along the way. Everyone here is awesome and so willing to help! We love to hear about your successes!

Last edited by DD80; 03-22-2012 at 10:19 AM..
DD80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 10:41 AM   #4
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/155.4/135??, 5'9", 41 y.o., Hypothyroid
WOE: Back to JUDDD!
The decision is ultimately your own when it comes to how and what you want to eat while JUDDDing. JUDDD doesn't care WHAT you eat as long as your calories are being respected. If you feel great eating low carb, you're perfectly free to keep eating that way. If you know you want bread, you can have it too.

I knew for a fact I wanted to have carbs and so I just held my breath and took the plunge. I'm a planner, so I knew about a week before I started JUDDD that I would be. I was doing Atkins before that. I quit Atkins on a Friday afternoon, spent the entire weekend eating whatever I wanted including pizza and cupcakes for my daughter's birthday, then started the following Monday with a DD.

I gained 2.8 lbs over that weekend. I knew I would gain, and I accepted it. After all, when you carb up, most of what you gain initially is the water that was depleted from low-carb eating anyway. I took that Monday morning weigh-in, with my almost-3-lb gain, and called that my JUDDD starting weight. Sort of like a re-birth or something. No harm, no stress, and then I was free to eat whatever I wanted while cycling my calories the JUDDD way.

This worked BEAUTIFULLY for me. Some people try to add carbs back slowly, and they trigger binges or cravings (I personally think I skipped that stage because I had a binge weekend leading up to JUDDD). Some decide not to add starchy carbs back at all, and they do really well. Others still have an adjustment period of a month or more before they try to start adding back carbs. It really is so very individual.

I wish you the best of luck!

Atkins 10/24/11 @ 277.6
JUDDD 12/12/11 @ 267.8
January 2013 @ 165.0: Maintaining however feels the most comfortable with little bouts of WLM thrown in here and there.
January 2014 @ 145: Maintaining with 5:2 and/or JUDDD
July 2014, weight is creeping up: Back to JUDDD.
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 11:02 AM   #5

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/124/126 5'3" Age 66
WOE: JUDDD/5:2
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
I posted my answer on the other thread.
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 11:36 AM   #6
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: No Diet = No Stress! Just eating healthy!
Tell Us Your Fears!!

Maybe this will help, too!
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 11:39 AM   #7
Blabbermouth!!!

Thanks, Peeps!! I also posted a link to this thread for Becky on the other thread so that when she pops in today she can easily cross-reference both.

Thanks to whoever (I forgot who) posted the link to the "fears" thread. I was trying to find that!

I love my JUDD BUDDS!!
Old 03-22-2012, 11:47 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: thomasina838
WOE: JUDDD & paleo
Start Date: 16 Feb 2012
Quote:

Your routine...
guys say that; that cals dont count if you keep carbs low. but they certainly do. at least for women. i have been doing paleo eating for more than year but i still have to keep the cals down. not down terribly far but if i go as high as the JUDDD calculator says i gain.
thomasina838 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 02:15 PM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: becky123abc
Stats: 205/199/160 5'5.5"
Thank you everyone!
Yam, thanks for starting this thread...it will be a big comfort to LC newbies like me!

Sammyann, I had a carb heavy meal at Applebees today...usually that would send me on a carb binge, but because I've exceeded my UD JUDDD limit, I will not eat anything else and have my DD tomorrow! I hope I can do this right! Thanks!

DD80, I really relate to what you said about dealing with food...I hope this can help me get my food issues under control...that would be so wonderful! thank you!

KeirasMom, your great stats prove what you are doing is working! I like the way you can plan things out...i hope to get better in that area! Thank you!

Kissa, your stats are amazing...and you are a beautiful lady! Thank you for being so helpful to me!

Beeb, you got BELOW your goal!?!??! How incredibly wonderful! Thanks for that link, I will read that thread!

thomasina838, I'm learning that calories might be an issue for me too...thanks for your input. This will be an interesting ride for sure! Retraining my brain & my tummy! : )
becky123abc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 04:05 PM   #10

Gallery: Luna Loca
Stats: 303/159/159
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: 10/17/10 started JUDDD on 1/28/12 at 198
becky!

You'll love this WOE!
Luna Loca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 05:01 PM   #11
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: sophiethecat
Stats: 170+/135-138/145 5'6 39y pcos/IR/metformin
WOE: WL=LC then JUDDD/IF; Maintenance=IF/75%+ "healthy"
Start Date: LC 6/11; JUDDD 10/11; Maintenance 11/11
You're off to a great start, Becky! You'll get the hang of it all before you know it, and you'll do so well! I look forward to all your posts.
sophiethecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 05:06 PM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luna Loca View Post
becky!

You'll love this WOE!
Thank you Luna Loca! I'm excited to be trying a new plan that has worked so well for so many!
Old 03-23-2012, 12:12 PM   #13
Blabbermouth!!!

Becky: I was reading on another post (I think the ohioguy's carb addict post?) your message about having a big appetite.

I wanted to tell you that when I first started JUDDing, I wanted to eat everything. I could not wait to start eating on UDs and had a tough time sticking to my calorie limit. Many days I went waaaaay over.

After a few weeks something weird started happening. My appetite went down and I actually started craving healthy stuff.

I've never had much of a problem on DDs. I drink coffee in the morning, water and iced tea throughout the day and mid afternoon I have sugar free hot chocolate mix with a teaspoon of FF SF mocha cappucino mix and 1 heaping teaspoon of extra virgin coconut oil stirred in.

The coconut oil is a real appetite killer and also thermogenic so it speeds up your metabolism. Coconut oil cannot be stored in the body as fat. It goes immediately to the liver and is processed and really good for cognitive thinking and energy because it's a healthy fat and fat is a brain nourishing food.

Anyway, I think the sirtuins were starting to kick in and that now they are really revved up in me. On my last UD, I had this need to feel full and I knew exactly what I wanted to eat. But it was all healthy stuff! Steel cut oats, whole wheat pasta with cooked cabbage and meat. Double fiber bread with deli turkey. Stuff like that. And, though I was eating, eating, eating all day and even drinking beer I came in under my calorie limit. Just could not eat any more at that point because I was stuffed and happy and slept like a baby that night.

Yesterday I went over my DD limit. I had about 730 calories. Today, on an UD, I am absolutely not hungry! I actually don't want to eat anything.

I think there really is something to the SIRT1 gene taking away our desire to overeat. It's like my body is just working things out and telling me what it wants and needs every day. I really like this!!!

DH is taking me to dinner and a movie tonight. I hope I have an appetite by then and I think I will. I want to have wine with dinner and maybe will take something in my purse to munch on at the movies. (Want to stay away from the salt in movie popcorn 'cos it makes me blow up like the michelan man!)

Anyway, I just wanted to share that with you. It really encouraged me to stick with my rotations in the beginning after I read Dr. J's explanation and then came here to the forum and read JUDD BUDD's experiences of how things "kicked into gear" after several weeks.
Old 03-23-2012, 02:48 PM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Wow! Yam! What a great post! I hope I have the same experience as you...

I'm still feeling a little deprived...but I'm trusting in what you and everyone here says...

I was going to have to do something...eating LC through the week and whatever on the weekend wasn't working anymore... I was gaining...

And I really didn't want to do Stillman's because I know healthy fats are so important...

I look forward to the SIRT1 gene kick!!

Thank you for sharing that. I look forward to hearing about your date night!
Old 03-23-2012, 10:17 PM   #15
Blabbermouth!!!

Hope you get a good night's sleep tonight and dream about all your UD foods you can eat tomorrow. Sorry you are feeling the deprivation. Hopefully that will pass as you get in to the rotations. Be sure and really nourish your body tomorrow so you will be fueled for the next DD. And, as others have said, If you need more calories to get you through a DD, have them.

You can go to the calculator and check out your range from 20% to 45%. That's still WLM. I wrote mine down on my daily weigh in tracker thread post. I paste that in to each day's post to remind me of my numbers.

DH and I had a great time at the movies. We went to an earlier show so dinner would not be too late. DH did get the movie popcorn and I shared it with him. What's a little water weight, right? Today was an UD and since I wasn't hungry most of the day I decided to just eat.

After the movie we walked down the street to a darling Italian restaurant. The ambiance is just so wonderful at that place and the owners are awesome.

I had one glass of cabernet savignon, a green salad, salmon, brown rice with barley and steamed carrots and cauliflower. Then we had decaff coffee and shared a lovely piece of key lime pie.

When we got home I drank a big glass of milk and now I am sleepy!

So, I will toddle off to bed now and look forward to hearing from you in the morning.
Old 03-24-2012, 06:09 AM   #16

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/155.4/135??, 5'9", 41 y.o., Hypothyroid
WOE: Back to JUDDD!
Sounds like a lovely date night Yam-Yam. Glad you enjoyed it.
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 01:01 PM   #17
Blabbermouth!!!

Thanks Dawn! I loved it. The scale was up 1 pound this morning but that's so normal after an UD anyway. Usually if I eat popcorn I'm up 3!! So, I'm happy about that. And, it's only up a pound from my new low that I hit yesterday. Love saying that! Mynewlowmynewlowmynewlow.......uhooooooom!!
Old 03-25-2012, 05:52 AM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Thanks Dawn! I loved it. The scale was up 1 pound this morning but that's so normal after an UD anyway. Usually if I eat popcorn I'm up 3!! So, I'm happy about that. And, it's only up a pound from my new low that I hit yesterday. Love saying that! Mynewlowmynewlowmynewlow.......uhooooooom!!
I'm up a little this morning too...but I'm thinking that my body is getting used to a whole new "thang" so I'm not sweating it...yet!

I should get my butt on the elliptical...or out on the track...

I really struggle with fatigue at times...I can get a good 8 - 9 hours of sleep...and still be tired all day. I had bloodwork done last year and my thyroid was normal but my iron was a little low and I was a little dehydrated...

If JUDDD doesn't improve my energy level I guess I'll go get some more bloodwork done in afew months.

I'm very hopeful about JUDDD!
Old 03-25-2012, 11:35 AM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Hatewashingup
Stats: 135/114/108
WOE: Juddd/Vegetable lover!
Start Date: January 2012
Quote:
Becky: I was reading on another post (I think the ohioguy's carb addict post?) your message about having a big appetite.

I wanted to tell you that when I first started JUDDing, I wanted to eat everything. I could not wait to start eating on UDs and had a tough time sticking to my calorie limit. Many days I went waaaaay over.

After a few weeks something weird started happening. My appetite went down and I actually started craving healthy stuff.

I've never had much of a problem on DDs. I drink coffee in the morning, water and iced tea throughout the day and mid afternoon I have sugar free hot chocolate mix with a teaspoon of FF SF mocha cappucino mix and 1 heaping teaspoon of extra virgin coconut oil stirred in.

The coconut oil is a real appetite killer and also thermogenic so it speeds up your metabolism. Coconut oil cannot be stored in the body as fat. It goes immediately to the liver and is processed and really good for cognitive thinking and energy because it's a healthy fat and fat is a brain nourishing food.

Anyway, I think the sirtuins were starting to kick in and that now they are really revved up in me. On my last UD, I had this need to feel full and I knew exactly what I wanted to eat. But it was all healthy stuff! Steel cut oats, whole wheat pasta with cooked cabbage and meat. Double fiber bread with deli turkey. Stuff like that. And, though I was eating, eating, eating all day and even drinking beer I came in under my calorie limit. Just could not eat any more at that point because I was stuffed and happy and slept like a baby that night.

Yesterday I went over my DD limit. I had about 730 calories. Today, on an UD, I am absolutely not hungry! I actually don't want to eat anything.

I think there really is something to the SIRT1 gene taking away our desire to overeat. It's like my body is just working things out and telling me what it wants and needs every day. I really like this!!!

DH is taking me to dinner and a movie tonight. I hope I have an appetite by then and I think I will. I want to have wine with dinner and maybe will take something in my purse to munch on at the movies. (Want to stay away from the salt in movie popcorn 'cos it makes me blow up like the michelan man!)

Anyway, I just wanted to share that with you. It really encouraged me to stick with my rotations in the beginning after I read Dr. J's explanation and then came here to the forum and read JUDD BUDD's experiences of how things "kicked into gear" after several weeks.
Just want to thank you for taking the time to write such a helpful and encouraging post, I really relate about DDs being easy but then crazy insatiable hunger on UDs! I always overeat on UDs, I think if I didn't stop myself I could easily hit 5000 calories. Can't wait for the crazy greedy UD monster inside me to go away!!
Hatewashingup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 11:55 AM   #20
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: oropendola
Stats: 221.4/186.6/160
WOE: Belly Fat Cure -> JUDDD -> JUDDD + DrK
Start Date: January 2, 2012 -> March 8 -> July 6
I was on medium/low carbs on Belly Fat Cure before JUDDD. I'm still keeping to med/high carbs that but have eaten higher carbs on some UDs.

I'm a slow loser but plodding along heading in the right direction.
-2 since March 8

In the end you need to find your own way of doing JUDDD, while keeping to the calories set for you on Dr. Johnson's site.

I can say I enjoy the DDs much more than I thought I would. I've only been hungry twice in 3 weeks.
oropendola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 11:56 AM   #21
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Buttercup204
Stats: 204/197/165
WOE: NK/JUDDD
Welcome Becky, I think you'll really enjoy this WOE as its kept me from feeling that "deprived" feeling when I allow whatever I am craving on my UDs. Funny thing though, by the time my UD comes around I don't crave that food anymore most of the time. I have to really figure out what I want and eat well because otherwise - like others have said on this post - you won't be fueled up enough to get through your next DD successfully. It really makes a difference. I do still miss the feeling I would get from Atkins - feeling lack of hunger, less cravings, more energy, etc. but I couldn't stick with it long enough to have any loss at all (and I gained actually over the last 2 years on Atkins because of the deprivation I felt emotionally). I have to allow myself to eat carbs on my UDs in order to stick with JUDDD or I would just quit yet another weight loss method but the difference is that if I do stick with this WOE - I actually lose weight. It works for me - better than any other WOE I have ever tried. Plus I feel like I get to eat like a naturally skinny person every other day - whatever I want. Since I grew up naturally skinny until I had kids, it was hard for me to adjust to watching what I ate every day. I can definitely do it every other day so that I can eat like I want to the other half of the time and truly enjoy food again.

I hope this helps and so far I have lost almost 7 lbs in the last two weeks. Not bad since before I was only gaining and still not able to eat whatever I wanted even half the time! It's true though that after a few weeks the cravings calm down and you start wanting real food instead of as much junk on UDs.

-Michelle
2nd Mini-goal: 190
3rd Mini-goal: 185
4th Mini-goal: 180
5th Mini-goal: 175
6th Mini -goal: 170
Goal: 155-165 & size 8/10 or whatever weight gets rid of my wobbly bits!
Buttercup204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 11:59 AM   #22

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/124/126 5'3" Age 66
WOE: JUDDD/5:2
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
Hatewashingup, I often overeat on my UDs, luckily as I am maintaining it isn't really a problem as I enjoy my DDs.

But I am already planning my next UD in my head.

We are off to Devon later this week and I plan on scones, jam and cream in the sunshine!!!

Michelle, wonderful loss.:jump joy:

Nice work Oro!
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote