Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2012, 08:01 AM   #1
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: PaminKY
It can be so confusing...

I started JUDDD last Monday 03/19/12 and I received my copy of the Alternate Day Diet in the mail yesterday. I've already read most of it but I'm going back over the diet part of it and I just can't agree with a lot of what's recommended in it, especially the part about fats.

I know fats are calorie dense and we have to mindful of our calories but his recommendations are to Stay away from most saturated fats and to use olive, peanut and canola oil. I've read other things that recommend staying away from peanut and canola.

He also recommends corn and soybean oil and soy and soy products.

Still reading...

Last edited by PaminKY; 03-22-2012 at 08:58 AM..
PaminKY is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-22-2012, 08:09 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ellgee
Totally agree with you Pam. I take the good parts from the book - the basic calorie cycling and I eat the foods I want to eat.

I don't believe in the evils of saturated fat and steer way clear of soy because I'm hypothyroid.

Laura
ellgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 08:14 AM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sungoddess
WOE: Perfect Health Diet/JUDDD
Start Date: LC;HCG; 1/19/12/JUDDD; 1/13/13 PHD/JUDDD
I also take the good parts about cycling the up and down days and discard some of the rest. I know the calorie cycling works so I do that part, but I agree with you about the fats. Maybe the good doctor will change his tune with feedback he gets from the likes of people on this forum.
sungoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 08:16 AM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: krow134
Stats: 207 starting weight in 2012
WOE: Atkins
Lucky for us this isnt a "one size fits all" eating plan! I have found you can rearrange things to your style! I never followed Atkins to a "T" and I find i can do the same with JUDDD!

I stay away from soy. I dont use peanut oils, and I totally love steak fat when off the grill! I am still losin inches, so I am happy!

Drs all have opinions, its up to you to take it with a grain of salt if you chose!
krow134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 08:27 AM   #5
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/155.4/135??, 5'9", 41 y.o., Hypothyroid
WOE: Back to JUDDD!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellgee View Post
Totally agree with you Pam. I take the good parts from the book - the basic calorie cycling and I eat the foods I want to eat.

I don't believe in the evils of saturated fat and steer way clear of soy because I'm hypothyroid.

Laura
Threadjack - sorry! I'm still learning about td. I've heard soy's bad, but is there a bunch of hidden soy I need to be aware of, or just no obvious soy products like tofu, soy milk, etc.? TIA!

Now, with regards to the oils and fats, that's something I think most of us have chosen to ignore. The basics are what's important, keeping your DDs low and your UDs higher. Most of us don't use shakes and bars during induction either. Dr. Johnson is a plastic surgeon, not a nutritionist, so it's best to eat how YOU feel is best for your body and just keep cycling those calories. Good luck!

Atkins 10/24/11 @ 277.6
JUDDD 12/12/11 @ 267.8
January 2013 @ 165.0: Maintaining however feels the most comfortable with little bouts of WLM thrown in here and there.
January 2014 @ 145: Maintaining with 5:2 and/or JUDDD
July 2014, weight is creeping up: Back to JUDDD.
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 08:40 AM   #6
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Yam-Yam
Stats: 230/191/165 @5'9"tall and 60 yrs. alive
WOE: Dukan 8/1/11 and now JUDDD
Start Date: 8/1/11 RE-start 1/1/14
There was another thread about this very issue the other day. If I can go back and find it, I'll post the link.

I think lots of people concluded that Dr. J. is a plastic surgeon, not a nutritionist. He did enough research to find something that worked so well for him and then wanted to share his "secret" so he wrote a book. But he is not an expert on nutrition.

Still, I'm glad he wrote the book!
Yam-Yam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 08:47 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

[QUOTE=KeirasMom;15516923]Threadjack - sorry! I'm still learning about td. I've heard soy's bad, but is there a bunch of hidden soy I need to be aware of, or just no obvious soy products like tofu, soy milk, etc.? TIA!QUOTE]

Well, for myself, I steer clear of the obvious soy products. I read labels to see what is in a certain item and a little soy doesn't bother me. I've done a lot of reading on the subject and like with JUDDD, you have to take away what you think is most important and I think if I can keep most soy out of my diet, I'm doing pretty good. I used to be the Boca Burger Queen, too and never noticed any ill effects back then before I knew I shouldn't eat it.

My OB/GYN is hypothyroid, too and she eats a few soy products. She told me that occasional soy is not generally a problem.

Laura
Old 03-22-2012, 09:00 AM   #8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thanks for the advice and support. I know in my head it's not right but it helps to hear it from those in the know.
Old 03-22-2012, 09:03 AM   #9
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: No Diet = No Stress! Just eating healthy!
Quote:

Laura
And exactly what I have done! I eat what I KNOW to be good for me, follow the JUDDD plan as far as the calories for DDs and UDs and leave the rest alone.

Has worked very well for me! I learned lots of good things while LCing and I'm not going to throw away the stuff that I KNOW works for me and my health because it's "recommended" that I not eat that stuff anymore. We gotta do what works for us!
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 10:41 AM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: DD80
Stats: 188/165.0/145 5'10"
WOE: Organic GrassFed Gluten-Free 5/13 Dairy Free 2/14
Start Date: 1/10/12 Medi, 2/9/12 First UD, 1/1/13 New Plan
[quote=ellgee;15517074]
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeirasMom View Post
Threadjack - sorry! I'm still learning about td. I've heard soy's bad, but is there a bunch of hidden soy I need to be aware of, or just no obvious soy products like tofu, soy milk, etc.? TIA!QUOTE]

Well, for myself, I steer clear of the obvious soy products. I read labels to see what is in a certain item and a little soy doesn't bother me. I've done a lot of reading on the subject and like with JUDDD, you have to take away what you think is most important and I think if I can keep most soy out of my diet, I'm doing pretty good. I used to be the Boca Burger Queen, too and never noticed any ill effects back then before I knew I shouldn't eat it.

My OB/GYN is hypothyroid, too and she eats a few soy products. She told me that occasional soy is not generally a problem.

Laura
I am also hypo and try to steer clear of the obvious soy products too. I will use soy sauce with my sushi, but mostly stay away from anything that is all soy, such as edamame, tofu, or soy milk. I also read labels and soy is in everything, so I do my best to stay away, but am not too crazy about it. Hey, a girl has to live!
DD80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 10:44 AM   #11

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/124/126 5'3" Age 66
WOE: JUDDD/5:2
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
It's horses for courses. I don't agree with his fats theory either. I am on the side of Taubes there.

But soya products and I are great friends. Then again I have no BS issues and as a woman of a certain age I think soy is quite good for me.
Kissa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 10:48 AM   #12

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/155.4/135??, 5'9", 41 y.o., Hypothyroid
WOE: Back to JUDDD!
[quote=DD80;15517456]
Quote:

I am also hypo and try to steer clear of the obvious soy products too. I will use soy sauce with my sushi, but mostly stay away from anything that is all soy, such as edamame, tofu, or soy milk. I also read labels and soy is in everything, so I do my best to stay away, but am not too crazy about it. Hey, a girl has to live!
Oh I didn't even think about soy sauce and edamame! We are sushi fiends and I love mixing a little soy sauce in my wasabi, and having edemame as a first course. Ye gads! I'm going to have to start eating the cucumber salad instead.
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 10:58 AM   #13
Senior LCF Member

[quote=KeirasMom;15517478]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DD80 View Post

Oh I didn't even think about soy sauce and edamame! We are sushi fiends and I love mixing a little soy sauce in my wasabi, and having edemame as a first course. Ye gads! I'm going to have to start eating the cucumber salad instead.
Oh yeah - you won't find me giving up my sushi with soy sauce. Nope, no way, no how. And I love me some edamame, too. It's not even something I eat regularly but if it crosses my path, it's going down my piehole (depending on how many calories I have left).

Laura
Old 03-22-2012, 11:10 AM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: thomasina838
WOE: JUDDD & paleo
Start Date: 16 Feb 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaminKY View Post
I started JUDDD last Monday 03/19/12 and I received my copy of the Alternate Day Diet in the mail yesterday. I've already read most of it but I'm going back over the diet part of it and I just can't agree with a lot of what's recommended in it, especially the part about fats.

I know fats are calorie dense and we have to mindful of our calories but his recommendations are to Stay away from most saturated fats and to use olive, peanut and canola oil. I've read other things that recommend staying away from peanut and canola.

He also recommends corn and soybean oil and soy and soy products.

Still reading...
the how to eat is very accurate. the what to eat is a mess. kind of understandable if you notice the publications date. i am doing JUDDD paleo style just fine.
thomasina838 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 11:16 AM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: b_lou_who
Stats: 2014 was195/now186.9 5'7" 44
WOE: whole organic low-sugars IF vegan
Start Date: 1997
My doc told me to never put soy in or on my body again about six years ago, and with all the science on it I agree. It makes nice candles!
Ditto all the above on sat fats.
Dr Johnson's contribution is the intermittent Fasting, and it works as proved by all of us and the other IF science contributors out there.
b_lou_who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 11:21 AM   #16
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: sophiethecat
Stats: 170+/135-138/145 5'6 39y pcos/IR/metformin
WOE: WL=LC then JUDDD/IF; Maintenance=IF/75%+ "healthy"
Start Date: LC 6/11; JUDDD 10/11; Maintenance 11/11
Here's that thread from 4 days ago that Yam was talking about: JUDDD, The Book, and saturated fat...
sophiethecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 11:32 AM   #17
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sophiethecat View Post
Here's that thread from 4 days ago that Yam was talking about: JUDDD, The Book, and saturated fat...
Thanks for the link, good info.
Old 03-22-2012, 12:18 PM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: DD80
Stats: 188/165.0/145 5'10"
WOE: Organic GrassFed Gluten-Free 5/13 Dairy Free 2/14
Start Date: 1/10/12 Medi, 2/9/12 First UD, 1/1/13 New Plan
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeirasMom View Post
Don't worry about it! A little bit of soy sauce won't kill you. If you like spicy, ask for sriracha instead of soy sauce. I LOVE the flavor of it and like it better than soy/wasabi.

The salad dressings usually have some soy sauce in them too. Honestly, you can't avoid it. Even whole foods has stated that they try to keep the GMO soy off their shelves, but it's in so many foods, that they just can't. You will drive yourself crazy trying to keep it out. Just do the best you can!
DD80 is offline   Reply With Quote