Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2012, 07:49 PM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: becky123abc
Stats: 205/199/160 5'5.5"
Your routine...

I'm sure this question has been asked already...if someone can shoot me a link to a thread where it's discussed, that'd be great.

Do you do strictly up down up down...so it goes like this...

Monday - DD
Tuesday - UP
Wednesday - DD
Thursday - UP
Friday - DD
Saturday - UP
Sunday - DD
Monday - UP
Tuesday - DD etc...

Or do you have two UD's in a row so that you are doing the same type day on each day of the week...ex...Monday's are always DD's.

I'm not sure which way I will go...I'm thinking I'll start out doing the first example until I get some momentum going then maybe have two UD's in a row.

Just wondering what works for you.
becky123abc is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-21-2012, 08:01 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Mariacj
Stats: 210/173/143
WOE: JUDDD and Low Carb
Start Date: LC - Nov 2011, Judd - March 2012, LC + Judd Aug12
I stick strictly to the up day then down day rotation. I have not had a need to change rotation with an mid day yet.
Mariacj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 08:06 PM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: MintQ8
Stats: 264.6 (restart 260.2)/255/140
WOE: JUDDDD
Start Date: 6 May 2014
I generally stick to straight rotation - and I would certainly recommend you do this for at least 2 weeks.

Some people have 2 UD in a row and always have MWF as DD - and it works for them (but not all!)

I personally would hate to have to have Friday as a DD all the time!

I find, so long as I am mindful, I can normally manage to eat out on a DD.
MintQ8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 08:45 PM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LightlyStarched
Strict up/down every other day. I like that every other week, dh and I go out for our Friday date night; that every other Saturday I can roam and nibble at the farmer's market; that every other Wednesday I can eat the treats at my weekly staff meeting; and that every other week I could do Sunday brunch or Dim Sum!

I love JUDDDD.
LightlyStarched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 08:48 PM   #5
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: No Diet = No Stress! Just eating healthy!
During my weight loss journey and even quite a bit after I reached goal I was doing a regular DD and then UD rotation. One week I would have 4 UDs and 3 DDs and the next week I would have 3 UDs and 4 DDs.

Since I have been in maintenance for the last 5 months I figure I would try out M/W/F DDs, T/T/S UDs and Sunday as a MD. This seems to work out so much better with my weekend schedule and so far, so good. Still maintaining the weight I want and it's really a lot easier to remember. This weekend we are heading to Atlantic City Sunday and Monday so I'm switching my Saturday and Sunday schedule to Saturday MD and Sunday UD to get to eat at a nice restaurant Sunday night!

DF loves it, too because now every Saturday night is an UD and that means a great dinner out somewhere new each week!

BUT, as it has been suggested to you, I will also suggest you stick to a regular rotation until you are either at goal or have been doing JUDDD for at least a couple of months to get the hang of it and give your body a chance to get use to the UD/DD rotation without MDs in there. I always suggest that MDs stay in the closet until either they are really needed to fix a weeks rotation for a holiday or special occasion or when you have been JUDDDing for a while.

HTH

A man asked Gautama Buddha, "I want happiness." Buddha said, "First remove "I," that's Ego, then remove "want," that's Desire. See now you are left with only "Happiness.”

Last edited by Beeb; 03-21-2012 at 08:53 PM..
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 08:54 PM   #6
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Yam-Yam
Stats: 230/191/165 @5'9"tall and 60 yrs. alive
WOE: Dukan 8/1/11 and now JUDDD
Start Date: 8/1/11 RE-start 1/1/14
Hi Becky and Glad to see you here!

It is recommended that for the first two weeks you stick to the UD/DD rotation. However, it's not set in stone. A MD is a "medium day". It's the average of your two days combined. So, just add the numbers together and divide by two.

The MD is there in case you need to change your rotation. Like if you have a special birthday dinner and you don't want it to be a DD. In that case, you would throw a MD in (preferable AFTER a DD so that the rotation would be DD/MD/UD in that order).

It's a very lifestyle friendly and enjoyable WOE. You can stick to LC if you want or you can add in carbs as some have. Just remember that when you add the carbs after doing LC for a while, you may gain a bit of water weight.

Dawn quit Atkins, took a few days off to "carb up" and then weighed and started from that weight. She is doing great!

Feel free to pop in and ask questions when you have any.

Some people lose faster than others. Dr. J. says in his book that it takes at least 2 weeks to get the SIRT1 gene built up in our system and that's when the fat blocking/burning really goes into high gear.

Most of us flubbed up a lot in the beginning. No worries. It's not about perfection but progression.

"Weight loss isn't about winning a race; it's about crossing the finish line at your own pace." -Dianna Rodriguiz

current numbers: 1975/395
goal numbers: 1700/350 (just a reminder)
Yam-Yam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 01:13 AM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
I did the straight rotation at first. But lifestyle has made it simpler if S-T-T are always DDs. So Saturday has become kind of a permanent MD.

I am still losing inches but the scale has stalled. I am not sure if the rotation change is really involved in that. I feel like it is, and I felt better about eating when I was on the straight rotation.

Hmmm. Thanks for asking this question. You have helped me clarify that, lifestyle or not, I want to go back to what was working.
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 04:25 AM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: becky123abc
Stats: 205/199/160 5'5.5"
Oh wow, that was a lot more clear cut than I thought it would be!! Thank you all so much! I will do strict UD/DD until I'm good and settled into this new way. You all are so helpful!

Yam, it's great to see you! When I saw your familiar face posting, I seemed to get the extra nudge to give this a try!

I'm not sure what to do about carbs...the times I've lost best is when I ate VLC...I did that VERY strictly for about 7 months and lost almost 60 lbs! But I started having cheat weekends (eating whatever carbs I could find for 2-3 days) and over the last 5 or 6 months I've gained about 30 back.

I NEVER counted calories while I was losing...so this is all so new. You know folks like Taubes says calories don't matter as much when your carbs are low...

I'm skeered.... But it's excited to see results you all have had and are having and that's encouraging me to jump right in.

I used to look at all of the "JUDDD" posts and think, "I could never do that!" But here I am!

Thank you all for sharing your experience!

PS: I have ordered the book...can't wait till it gets here!

Last edited by becky123abc; 03-22-2012 at 04:26 AM..
becky123abc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 04:39 AM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: sterlinggirl
Stats: 225/166/165 47 5'9
WOE: JUDDD FOR LIFE!
Start Date: Jan 2012. Name Kimberly
Quote:
Originally Posted by becky123abc View Post
Oh wow, that was a lot more clear cut than I thought it would be!! Thank you all so much! I will do strict UD/DD until I'm good and settled into this new way. You all are so helpful!

Yam, it's great to see you! When I saw your familiar face posting, I seemed to get the extra nudge to give this a try!

I'm not sure what to do about carbs...the times I've lost best is when I ate VLC...I did that VERY strictly for about 7 months and lost almost 60 lbs! But I started having cheat weekends (eating whatever carbs I could find for 2-3 days) and over the last 5 or 6 months I've gained about 30 back.

I NEVER counted calories while I was losing...so this is all so new. You know folks like Taubes says calories don't matter as much when your carbs are low...

I'm skeered.... But it's excited to see results you all have had and are having and that's encouraging me to jump right in.

I used to look at all of the "JUDDD" posts and think, "I could never do that!" But here I am!

YOU CAN DO THIS .. you got this girl.. and
sterlinggirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 05:33 AM   #10
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
I'm another one who pretty much just sticks to the straight Up/Down rotation. I like to just keep that stride going without the *hiccup* pause that the MDs cause in that wide spread between the high and low calories.

It is true that the MD is merely the average of an Up and a Down day, but that mid range of calories that is a Medium Day is exactly what we are trying to get away from in doing JUDDD!!! That's a lot more like those *lower your calories and hold them there while you watch your metabolism slow down* diets.

One of the strengths of JUDDD seems to be that high/low spread, and the influence/result each has on the body, so I just stick to the straight rotation. I pretty much only use the MDs when needed to change my rotation... to make certain that an upcoming social event lands on an UD.
Old 03-22-2012, 05:51 AM   #11
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: sophiethecat
Stats: 170+/135-138/145 5'6 39y pcos/IR/metformin
WOE: WL=LC then JUDDD/IF; Maintenance=IF/75%+ "healthy"
Start Date: LC 6/11; JUDDD 10/11; Maintenance 11/11
Hi Becky and to JUDDD!

I followed the strict UD/DD rotation for weeks without needing a MD or doing any variation. I had 5# to get to goal and I was so determined not to let anything put a glitch in my WL that I was too afraid to try a MD for a while - afraid it might slow me down even a little. I don't like MDs even now because I feel they get in the way of my rotation, but I have used them because sometimes it's just necessary.

There are some who do set UD and DD, such as M-W-F are DDs and the rest UDs. I did that fairly recently for a while, though I'm in maintenance and do all sorts of things - variations on JUDDD and other IF.

Look forward to hearing more from you on the forum! Welcome again!
MAINTENANCE since 11/12/11, & have lost more weight. I shake things up all the time with my version of Pirate Jenny's MUDDD, my "Fast 5" & other IF. ...low-moderate fat....and eating "healthy" foods 75+% of the time which lets me have real life and indulgences too I've reached my goals, improved my health & appearance, and enjoy my lifetime woe!
sophiethecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 06:17 AM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: synger
Stats: Start: 310 Current: 259
WOE: Calorie and carb counting, IR Diet framework
Start Date: IR/PCOS: Dx pre-diabetic 3/2010
I have a weekly rotation.

Monday: UD
Tuesday: DD
Wednesday: UD
Thursday: DD
Friday: MD or UD (depends on how many drinks I have. This is the night I allow myself some alcohol)
Saturday: UD
Sunday: DD
synger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 09:12 AM   #13
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: No Diet = No Stress! Just eating healthy!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHappy View Post
I'm another one who pretty much just sticks to the straight Up/Down rotation. I like to just keep that stride going without the *hiccup* pause that the MDs cause in that wide spread between the high and low calories.

It is true that the MD is merely the average of an Up and a Down day, but that mid range of calories that is a Medium Day is exactly what we are trying to get away from in doing JUDDD!!! That's a lot more like those *lower your calories and hold them there while you watch your metabolism slow down* diets.

One of the strengths of JUDDD seems to be that high/low spread, and the influence/result each has on the body, so I just stick to the straight rotation. I pretty much only use the MDs when needed to change my rotation... to make certain that an upcoming social event lands on an UD
Sorry to disagree with you here, Pat. I still am getting ALL the benefits of JUDDD, I can see and feel it, even with that MD thrown in there now on Sunday. Doing the same calories day in and day out is what slows down our metabolism, in my opinion, and from what I have read and has happened to me is seems to be the problem rather than eating a middle calorie day once a week. I still have the JUDDD "strength", as you refer to, and it now also gets to be a better "fit" for my lifestyle!

Again, I don't recommend or suggest anyone do this while losing their weight but when a person gets to goal I don't believe throwing a MD in there once a week is going to undo all the good JUDDD does for us.

JMHO
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 09:17 AM   #14
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by becky123abc View Post

Becky: Did you read the thread about what JUDDers were afraid of in the beginning? I think we all had the same fears!

I know that VLC gets the weight off quickly. The draw back is that even a teensy-weensy bit of cheating or "carb creep" brings it all back, plus more if you cannot reign it in!!!!

When I stumbled on the JUDD boards, I couldn't believe I was reading about a WOE that would actually change genes and enzymes in the body so that if you go off the plan for a while, your body will not gain quickly.

I certainly have proven that it's true. I pretty much took the whole month of February off as you know. I think I gained 2 or 3 pounds, but it came back off when I got back into the rotation.

So glad you are getting the book and lets talk more about it when you are reading it, OK?? I'm truly so excited that you are here!!!

You do not have to wait until you read the book to get started. Just go to the JUDD calculator and figure out your UD/DD calories and dive in. It's that easy.

Some former LCers have taken a few days before starting to just eat a variety of foods and "carb up", letting their bodies go ahead and add some fluid and then they start from that weight.

Keep in mind, again, that it will take about 2 weeks for the SIRT1 gene to build up to max efficiency in your body. That's when the fat blocking/burning begins and you will probably start to lose inches even before you lose pounds.

Counting calories is a breeze. There are lots of helpful websites. Check out the "calorie counters and calculators" thread for some good links.

Again,
Old 03-22-2012, 09:32 AM   #15
Blabbermouth!!!

Becky: Hope you don't mind but I pasted in part of your last post to a new thread. Was hoping more JUDD BUDDs would jump in and give you some of their experience and wise advice.

Here is the link. I just posted it right now, so just go and check it every now and then.

Can the JUDD BUDDS Help, Please?
Old 03-22-2012, 09:39 AM   #16
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
WOE: 90%/10% Primal and Low-Carb
I try to stick to the standard rotation but if I know a special event is coming up, I'll toss in an MD to move the UD around.
I've messed up on DD's a couple of times and ended up doing a DD after a screwed up DD lol - but hey, that's life!
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 09:48 AM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Spank'd
Stats: 223/217/145
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Restarted 1/11/14
Strictly UP/DOWN/UP/DOWN.

I have had to move things around a few times now, and once I did two UPs in a row, and didn't sweat it, but went the forbidden route of two DDs in a row too.
Spank'd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 10:56 AM   #18

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/124/126 5'3" Age 66
WOE: JUDDD/5:2
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
Strict rotation here Becky.

But moving on to your second question, carbs or no carbs, only you can make that decision, but a lot of the long time maintainers have incorporated carbs into their lives again while JUDDDing.

I am one of them and it one of the reasons JUDDD makes me so very happy. There are no forbidden foods for me. Any early increase in weight is worth it I think for the freedom of eating all the glorious foods out there.

It is entirely your choice which foods make up your calories.

Many people do not need or want carbs in their lives and happily continue with Low Carb living. After 11 years I was so thrilled to stop and be able buy a sandwich and still lose weight and see my health improve, it was a no brainer.

Good to have you with us, sit back and enjoy the ride.

Embrace a little hunger. It is the sign of healing.

Relax, rotate, reduce, rejoice.

Down Days are the cement that hold JUDDD together.
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 11:28 AM   #19
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: vanilla_latte
Stats: Weigh/Too/Much!
Start Date: 8/18/14
On this go 'round with JUDDD, I'm going for the rotation as directed for at least 2 weeks, using food and not the shakes, though, aside from protein shakes after a workout.

Then I might go to the rotation that worked for me before a few years when I was having success (before I quit working it ), which was M/W/F being my DDs, T/T/S being UDs and Sunday being a MD (medium day).
vanilla_latte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 12:01 PM   #20
Blabbermouth!!!

Becky: I just sent you another PM. Forgot to say, for a bit of encouragement and motivation, read the Daily Weigh in tracker for March. You will understand what we mean when we say the scale she bounces!

There is a thread by that name as well and it's soooooooo worth taking a look at!!

I think you are doing fine on your first day and it's great to start with an UD!!
Old 03-22-2012, 12:03 PM   #21
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sungoddess
WOE: Perfect Health Diet/JUDDD
Start Date: LC;HCG; 1/19/12/JUDDD; 1/13/13 PHD/JUDDD
I am in weight loss mode and far far from maintaining, so I am doing a strict rotation for now. I find that the better my high/low calorie spread is, the better I lose. I will do an MD if it becomes necessary, but for now I am going to stick to the rotation as long as I can.
sungoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 12:13 PM   #22

Gallery: Luna Loca
Stats: 303/159/159
Start Date: 10/17/10 started JUDDD on 1/28/12 at 198
I do a strict rotation too. I even have a potluck every Sunday for which I bring the dessert. Half the time I am doing this on a down day. It hasn't been a problem yet. I just eat lightly, or if I've already had all my calories for the day, sip on coffee while the others eat. They know I'm doing this plan and it's never a problem.

Regarding carbs, I had given up on low-carb long since and was doing low-calorie before coming to JUDDD, so I have no advice there. I don't last long on low-carb since fruit and grains are some of my very favorite foods, and the thought of giving them up forever gives me the vapors.

becky! Jump right in! The water's fine!

"Success occurs in clusters and is born in generosity" --Julia Cameron

Describes my JUDDD Buddds perfectly.
Luna Loca is offline   Reply With Quote