Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2012, 03:21 AM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: sterlinggirl
Stats: 225/166/165 47 5'9
WOE: JUDDD FOR LIFE!
Start Date: Jan 2012. Name Kimberly
Coffee.. I never knew~

I just assumed there were no calories in COFFEE I am trying not to be so anal about every lil calorie that i put in my mouth .. due to i figure that if JUDDD is forgiving then a few here or there should not really matter. Now i could be wrong in my approach.. but , i took the time to measure my powerderd creamer i love in my coffee.. and finally have it down to 2 tsp for a grand total of 20 cals.. now i wake up this morn. decided to look at the coffee container and notice no nutritional info on it and i google it... only to find that my 20 cals cups are now 30 cal cups.. i never knew there were 10 cal per cup in my coffee.. wow! Still plan to use it, however, now i need to input an additional 40 cals a day that i did not have written down beforeWow is all i have to say..i assumed this all these years due to there has never been a label on my jug that gave a breakdown of any thing
sterlinggirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-21-2012, 04:07 AM   #2
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: adillenal
****** says 5 calories for 16 ounces of coffee. Then I measure my HWC with my measuring spoon so two mugs equal 125 calories. Coffee itself isn't my calorie problem. Same as yours. What we put in it.
adillenal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 04:12 AM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sunday
Stats: 225/145/ ...
WOE: Perfect Health Diet- 16hr Daily Fast
Start Date: JUDDD - 2/01/12 Began at 200, Goal 130
I quit coffee a few years ago, but I don't think the small amount of cals is harmful one bit! Now, if you drink all day or more than a couple of cups that would be different.

I drink green tea plain & unsweetened and never thought about adding calories for green tea???
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 04:16 AM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunday View Post
I quit coffee a few years ago, but I don't think the small amount of cals is harmful one bit! Now, if you drink all day or more than a couple of cups that would be different.

I drink green tea plain & unsweetened and never thought about adding calories for green tea???
I am an addict... i must admit.. but they say the first step to recovery is admitting that i have a problem I used to drink on average about 8 to 10 cups of coffee EVERYDAY!!.. now i think i have it under control and drink 3 evevery day with a spare 4th in case i need it
Old 03-21-2012, 04:20 AM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Bless your heart! I completely understand because my DH fam is addicts too! I don't see any problem whatsoever with your JUDDD and drinking lots of coffee. Others may say different.

I enjoy one cup once in a while, but I use to drink one cup every single day for breakfast.
Old 03-21-2012, 04:22 AM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Well, guess what??? I looked up Green Tea and it has 2 cals per cup. So, I just learned something new too!
Old 03-21-2012, 04:25 AM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Well, guess what??? I looked up Green Tea and it has 2 cals per cup. So, I just learned something new too!
who would have thought... the one thing this woe has shown me was... just how many calories i really was taking in.. and all this time i thought i just had a very very slow metobolism
Old 03-21-2012, 04:37 AM   #8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I agree! I think my LC lifestyle, had me convinced to not worry about cals. When, in fact, I should have paid a bit more attention!!!
JUDDD is helping me to keep everything in check and that is the best thing about this plan!
Old 03-21-2012, 05:02 AM   #9
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/150/150
WOE: Whatever plan keeps me around 150 lbs!
I have 2 large cups (= to 3 cups) every morning, black, and count it as 8 calories as per ***. I'm a little more OCD about counting my calories than most. I think you're probably fine just counting the creamer if you don't want to get so nit-picky. I only do it because I can't help myself!
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 05:05 AM   #10
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: sophiethecat
Stats: 170+/135-138/145 5'6 39y pcos/IR/metformin
WOE: WL=LC then JUDDD/IF; Maintenance=IF/75%+ "healthy"
Start Date: LC 6/11; JUDDD 10/11; Maintenance 11/11
Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlinggirl View Post
I am an addict... i must admit.. but they say the first step to recovery is admitting that i have a problem I used to drink on average about 8 to 10 cups of coffee EVERYDAY!!.. now i think i have it under control and drink 3 evevery day with a spare 4th in case i need it
I never counted the calories in coffee. I drink mine black 99% of the time though. Oh, I guess I could have been called an addict too then, cause I regularly drank 6 - 10 cups per day since last summer, basically. Before that, I only drank 3 - 6 cups, lol.

I finally started replacing some of my coffee with hot tea, and now over a month later, I'm drinking MOSTLY tea. 4 - 6 cups daily, lol. I can't stand tea plain though, I have to have a little AS in it, usually Truvia.

I brew it in the coffee pot.... I put a coffee filter in the basket and put in 2 or 3 different tea bags (usually Irish bfast, green, white) then add my AS right into the pot and let er brew. It's fast and convenient to have the hot tea ready to drink.

Adding: What made me decide to drink more tea, less coffee, was when I did that informal poll a couple months back and saw a little trend that those drinking tea were doing better with losses than those just drinking coffee... Maybe it meant nothing, but it made me think... so.... and since tea is supposed to be so good for you....
MAINTENANCE since 11/12/11, & have lost more weight. I shake things up all the time with my version of Pirate Jenny's MUDDD, my "Fast 5" & other IF. ...low-moderate fat....and eating "healthy" foods 75+% of the time which lets me have real life and indulgences too I've reached my goals, improved my health & appearance, and enjoy my lifetime woe!

Last edited by sophiethecat; 03-21-2012 at 05:09 AM..
sophiethecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 05:38 AM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sophiethecat View Post
I never counted the calories in coffee. I drink mine black 99% of the time though. Oh, I guess I could have been called an addict too then, cause I regularly drank 6 - 10 cups per day since last summer, basically. Before that, I only drank 3 - 6 cups, lol.

I finally started replacing some of my coffee with hot tea, and now over a month later, I'm drinking MOSTLY tea. 4 - 6 cups daily, lol. I can't stand tea plain though, I have to have a little AS in it, usually Truvia.

I brew it in the coffee pot.... I put a coffee filter in the basket and put in 2 or 3 different tea bags (usually Irish bfast, green, white) then add my AS right into the pot and let er brew. It's fast and convenient to have the hot tea ready to drink.

Adding: What made me decide to drink more tea, less coffee, was when I did that informal poll a couple months back and saw a little trend that those drinking tea were doing better with losses than those just drinking coffee... Maybe it meant nothing, but it made me think... so.... and since tea is supposed to be so good for you....
I will def take that info into consideration.. my love affair began years ago when i did low fat and now im addicted to its effects... my question is this.. due to im not a tea drinker.. does it have the appitite suppression or headache removal as the caffine in coffee? now ya got me curious??
Old 03-21-2012, 05:39 AM   #12
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thanks sophie, I forgot that you did a poll! I had to cut back on coffee due to issues with my heart awhile back. I have to watch green tea for the same reason, but the funny thing about green tea, is that I only drink one or two. I never seem to indulge my addiction to tea.
Old 03-21-2012, 06:06 AM   #13
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlinggirl View Post
I will def take that info into consideration.. my love affair began years ago when i did low fat and now im addicted to its effects... my question is this.. due to im not a tea drinker.. does it have the appitite suppression or headache removal as the caffine in coffee? now ya got me curious??
Quote:
Thanks sophie, I forgot that you did a poll! I had to cut back on coffee due to issues with my heart awhile back. I have to watch green tea for the same reason, but the funny thing about green tea, is that I only drink one or two. I never seem to indulge my addiction to tea.
I've been a coffee drinker since I was 16.

I've never been much of a tea drinker before because it always seemed so weak and watery in comparison to coffee. Weak, hot drinks like tea or even coffee that's made too weak actually give me nausea.

But then I started using Irish Breakfast tea, and it makes a bold, rich, strong cup! So then I started blending other kinds of tea together like green or white just for the health effects.

I feel like it does help suppress my appetite the way coffee did. This may be the caffeine in it. Or just that I'm not much of a breakfast eater anyway. But if I drink too much tea on an empty stomach, it upsets my stomach - the acid I guess. But this might not affect anyone else that way, it's just that I've been having that problem sometimes, usually in the a.m. or p.m. when stomach is empty and I've had acidic food or drink.

I forgot this in my other post, but another reason I cut back on coffee was because I have fibrocystic breasts. They weren't bothering me too much despite all the coffee-drinking, but then the painful lumpiness started up again.

I remember years ago my doctor telling me "only have one cup of coffee per day" to prevent the problem. Naturally, I was unable to stick to just one per day, lol. But the pain and lumpiness I had back in late January convinced me to cut back on my coffee, and then it wasn't long until I started increasing the tea, lol. I guess I just have to have a hot morning drink!

Plus I read somewhere that it wasn't just the caffeine that was the problem for fibrocystic breasts, but something in the coffee itself (even decaf coffee could aggravate the problem). I don't know if this is true.

But tea has less caffeine than coffee, and I've been making sure lately that at least one of the tea bags in the pot is decaf. Usually decaf green tea.

I do have a little bit of breast soreness the last few days but nothing as bad as when I was drinking all that coffee. I also started sleeping better when I reduced the coffee/caffeine back in Feb.

Sunday, I hope I won't develop a tea addiction either. It's just that I'm addicted to the act of drinking cups of hot liquid every morning as part of my morning ritual... be it coffee or now, tea.

In the summer both me and DH drink lots of iced tea, but not the instant kind - I brew it fresh from bags, sweeten it a little, and let it cool.

Last edited by sophiethecat; 03-21-2012 at 06:18 AM..
Old 03-21-2012, 06:18 AM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sophiethecat View Post
I've never been much of a tea drinker before because it always seemed so weak and watery in comparison to coffee. Weak, hot drinks like tea or even coffee that's made too weak actually give me nausea.

But then I started using Irish Breakfast tea, and it makes a bold, rich, strong cup! So then I started blending other kinds of tea together like green or white just for the health effects.

I feel like it does help suppress my appetite some the way coffee did. This may be the caffeine in it. But if I drink too much tea on an empty stomach, it upsets my stomach - the acid I guess. But this might not affect anyone else that way, it's just that I've been having that problem sometimes, usually in the a.m. or p.m. when stomach is empty and I've had acidic food or drink.

I forgot this in my other post, but another reason I cut back on coffee was because I have fibrocystic breasts. They weren't bothering me too much despite all the coffee-drinking, but then the painful lumpiness started up again.

I remember years ago my doctor telling me "only have one cup of coffee per day" to prevent the problem. Naturally, I was unable to stick to just one per day, lol. But the pain and lumpiness I had back in late January convinced me to cut back on my coffee, and then it wasn't long until I started increasing the tea, lol. I guess I just have to have a hot morning drink!

Plus I read somewhere that it wasn't just the caffeine that was the problem for fibrocystic breasts, but something in the coffee itself (even decaf coffee could aggravate the problem). I don't know if this is true.

But tea has less caffeine than coffee, and I've been making sure lately that at least one of the tea bags in the pot is decaf. Usually decaf green tea.

I do have a little bit of breast soreness the last few days but nothing as bad as when I was drinking all that coffee. I also started sleeping better when I reduced the coffee/caffeine back in Feb.

Sunday, I hope I won't develop a tea addiction either. It's just that I'm addicted to the act of drinking cups of hot liquid every morning as part of my morning ritual... be it coffee or now, tea.

In the summer both me and DH drink lots of iced tea, but not the instant kind - I brew it fresh from bags, sweeten it a little, and let it cool.
Thanks.. my mother had the same issue you discribed and for her she had to stop all coffee and seams to have it under control now.. I think in time,, good or bad for me,, i will KICK the habit... just so i am not controled by be it a drink or a food choice.. all in good time to a healthier me!!!
Old 03-21-2012, 06:21 AM   #15
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
I love coffee and tea both, and I started out counting the calories in them but now I don't.
I've never seen any conclusive evidence that the calories in the beans (or leaves) transfer through the liquid
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 06:54 AM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: carla70
Stats: 225/225/150
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 05/05/2014
ACK i didn't realize coffee had any calories.. I drink mine black. I so much LOVE the smell and taste of coffee in the morning. My grandfather got be drinking coffee they say when I was very young - under a year old - he said that to be a good norwegian I had to drink coffee. I must be a very good norwegian because I really do love coffee.
carla70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 06:56 AM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by carla70 View Post
ACK i didn't realize coffee had any calories.. I drink mine black. I so much LOVE the smell and taste of coffee in the morning. My grandfather got be drinking coffee they say when I was very young - under a year old - he said that to be a good norwegian I had to drink coffee. I must be a very good norwegian because I really do love coffee.
Maybe im Norwegian too then!??
Old 03-21-2012, 07:04 AM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

sterlinggirl, maybe
Old 03-21-2012, 07:28 AM   #19
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: No Diet = No Stress! Just eating healthy!
I have never and will never count the calories in tea or coffee. I don't count the 2 calories in the mustard I use either, or any other calorie that is under 5 calories. Anything over that I'm measuring and counting, but again, never tea or coffee. Both, coffee especially, make me just "go and go" when I drink them so I figure the calories aren't getting a "chance" to do any damage anyway! Hasn't hurt my weight loss or maintenance all this time!
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 07:41 AM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: KathyL
Stats: 205/118-122/125 5'4" Age 53
WOE: low glycemic index in 2011 JUDDD in 2012
Start Date: January 2011
I had no clue there were calories in coffee! I cut coffee completely last year.....mostly because I like a little coffee with my flavored creamers. LOL When I hit goal I started added it back in just once or twice a week. And wow....I get a buzz and boosted energy that lasts not one but two days! LOL I've cut it out again because the stuff I put in it was making me crave sweets not to mention retaining water. I miss it.

I love Irish Breakfast tea! But again, I gotta have a little sugar in it. Not nearly as much as coffee though. I have been drinking organic green tea with just a bit of lemon lately just to have something hot on cold mornings.

Does anyone count the calories in their supplements????
KathyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 07:43 AM   #21
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathyL View Post

Does anyone count the calories in their supplements????
Never. I don't count calories in any of them, including the fish oil. Never did.
Old 03-21-2012, 07:43 AM   #22
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: DD80
Stats: 188/165.0/145 5'10"
WOE: Organic GrassFed Gluten-Free 5/13 Dairy Free 2/14
Start Date: 1/10/12 Medi, 2/9/12 First UD, 1/1/13 New Plan
Quote:

I LOVE green tea and I drink a lot every day. I don't put anything in it either. Sometimes I steep a peppermint tea in with it. Yum! I don't count calories for it.
DD80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 07:55 AM   #23

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/150/150
WOE: Whatever plan keeps me around 150 lbs!
Quote:
Originally Posted by carla70 View Post
I started drinking coffee pretty young too. I was around 8-10 I believe and have had it ever since. I was always told it would stunt my growth. Lord I hope so! I ended up at 5'10"! Can you imagine how tall I'd be without the coffee?
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 08:00 AM   #24
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeirasMom View Post
I started drinking coffee pretty young too. I was around 8-10 I believe and have had it ever since. I was always told it would stunt my growth. Lord I hope so! I ended up at 5'10"! Can you imagine how tall I'd be without the coffee?
no kidding!! Me too...(told the same thing) And im 5'8
Old 03-21-2012, 08:05 AM   #25
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sungoddess
WOE: Perfect Health Diet/JUDDD
Start Date: LC;HCG; 1/19/12/JUDDD; 1/13/13 PHD/JUDDD
Coffee and me are BFFs I love it so much. I do count calories when I drink coffee with HWC, but otherwise, I don't really count.

Before, for a weekly treat, I was having a Starbuck's venti breve latte. My slim and beautiful girlfriend drinks TWO of those a day. One day I pulled out there nutritional brochure to see what I was drinking. 710 calories! Goodbye breve lattes. The brochure also said 12 ounces of their black coffee was 5 calories. So I did know there were calories, but I don't really count them unless I drink a LOT!

I actually have been drinking more since the newer research about lots of coffee helping to prevent diabetes and alzheimers etc. i think of coffee, red wine, and dark chocolate now as medicine.

Coffee gets me up and gets me going. Literally. I call it a poop maker. Tee hee.

I have tried to love tea, but my taste buds don't like it.

Mmmmmm I am having a nice hot cup right now!
Old 03-21-2012, 09:14 AM   #26
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sungoddess View Post
Coffee and me are BFFs I love it so much. I do count calories when I drink coffee with HWC, but otherwise, I don't really count.

Before, for a weekly treat, I was having a Starbuck's venti breve latte. My slim and beautiful girlfriend drinks TWO of those a day. One day I pulled out there nutritional brochure to see what I was drinking. 710 calories! Goodbye breve lattes. The brochure also said 12 ounces of their black coffee was 5 calories. So I did know there were calories, but I don't really count them unless I drink a LOT!

I actually have been drinking more since the newer research about lots of coffee helping to prevent diabetes and alzheimers etc. i think of coffee, red wine, and dark chocolate now as medicine.

Coffee gets me up and gets me going. Literally. I call it a poop maker. Tee hee.

I have tried to love tea, but my taste buds don't like it.

Mmmmmm I am having a nice hot cup right now!

gets your poop maker goin i love it~~ Wish it worked that way for me
Old 03-21-2012, 09:28 AM   #27
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: b_lou_who
Stats: 2014 was195/now186.9 5'7" 44
WOE: whole organic low-sugars IF vegan
Start Date: 1997
If you can adjust to it try drinking plain hot water.
I am a hot water addict. Drink about 3 quarts of plain hot water a day usually.
I started that when I was pregnant with my first child and the habit stuck.

It affects the bowels the same way as any other hot drink wink wink

Coffee makes me sick so I avoid it (love the smell though), and I am a tea-aholic..love the ritual of tea with loose tea, pot & strainer, tray, cup and saucer...the works. But the caffeine even in decaf gets to me so I limit my "use" of tea
Old 03-21-2012, 10:28 AM   #28

Gallery: Luna Loca
Stats: 303/159/159
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: 10/17/10 started JUDDD on 1/28/12 at 198
I don't count the calories in coffee. I don't put anything in it but Splenda, and the very occasional coconut oil (which I do count).

I don't think the calories in the coffee make that much difference.
Luna Loca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 10:48 AM   #29
Major LCF Poster!

I was told too it would stunt my growth and I am 5'8". Glad I drank it!
Old 03-21-2012, 10:50 AM   #30

Gallery: Luna Loca
Stats: 303/159/159
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: 10/17/10 started JUDDD on 1/28/12 at 198
Maybe it did stunt mine! I'm only 5'3"!!
Luna Loca is offline   Reply With Quote