Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2012, 10:23 PM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: hockey_gal
Stats: 172/156/150 5'7.5 Goal met: Aug 19/11
WOE: Moderate LC
Start Date: Aug 2010
Should I be discouraged or happy?

I'm usually a quite happy and optimistic person.

But...when it comes to my weight and body, I have struggled to see the glass half full. I spent my childhood/early adult years thinking I was fat and I only realized on my 30th birthday that it was not true. It was truly an amazing wake up call for me. I also learned though, that I need to relax about my body and weight.

So. I lost weight to 150 lbs and was initially happy. I chose that weight bc that was what I weighed in my early 20s. (for that age, I was plumper than the other early 20-somethings!). I started JUDDD to maintain and lost another 5 lbs...got down to 145. Could NOT believe I got that low and was overjoyed!!!

I went off the rails a few weeks back - basically getting into a habit of having Sun/Tue/Wed DDs and Mon/Wed/Fri/Sat UDs. I gained a couple lbs but averaged 147. Now, I am finding that I crave salt like crazy on DDs and end up turning them into MDs...800-900 calories instead of the goal of 500. I've been doing that for a few weeks and I am maintaining at 149 after a DD and 150 after a UD.

So part of me is really discouraged I couldn't stay at 145 (in fact, I was starting to fantastize about being lower). But then I think that I'm not really on a diet here. This doesn't feel like a diet. I feel good and I'm eating lots...I'm doing nice dinners out on UDs and eating popcorn or salty crackers on DDs that feel like overindulgent heaven...

Should I just give up and concede that 150 is good enough?

Should I try to get back to my strict weight loss mode/numbers?

I'm not sure how I feel...I'm kind of confused bc I don't feel like I am "achieving" here and I'm an achiever.

Thanks for reading my novel and any and all comments.

Goal weight met: Aug 19/11

I played in the Longest Game for CF. We broke the Guinness record for longest hockey game.
hockey_gal is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-20-2012, 10:37 PM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: MintQ8
Stats: 264.6 (restart 260.2)/255/140
WOE: JUDDDD
Start Date: 6 May 2014
Hmmmm - well according to the nasty weight height ratio charts you are sitting very comfortably within your 'range'. More importantly is how do you feel and look?

At 149/150 - are you where you want to be physically, not numerically? ie, do you wear the size clothes that you want, are you able to participate in all the sports that you want?

I think you have achieved - you've achieved maintenance, something that is a goal for so many people. In many ways losing the weight isn't that difficult (yes, I know it can get difficult, but the principles for most diets are relatively simple in the weight loss mode) - maintaining the weight you've lost is the hard part - finding a balance between 'normal' and the fact that you will always have to watch your weight.

I think you're to be congratulated on finding something that works for you. Continue to maintain, you may find in another few weeks that the salt cravings go and you start to eat better naturally - because you've allowed your body what it is perhaps needing? At that point you may see the scale move down - or you may not.

However, if you are not comfortable - you know what to do - follow the numbers!
Old 03-20-2012, 11:16 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Mariacj
Stats: 210/173/143
WOE: JUDDD and Low Carb
Start Date: LC - Nov 2011, Judd - March 2012, LC + Judd Aug12
Agree, if you feel like you can lose more then stick to your dd 500 or less calorie days.

If you are healthy, and the 150 you were at was your original goal.... Congrats.... Getting to any goal is hard for me, but I can't wait to get to 150... This is for my height and body type the healthy option for me.

Self image is hard. I have lost at least 25 to 28 pounds my clothing is huge, but looking in the mirror is still hard, somedays I see the new size 12 me and sometimes I see the old pushing out of size 14 me.

If you have any of your old jeans or an old shirt that was too tight, put it on and remind yourself of what you have already done, not what you need to do because your are already further than most people on a "diet".

I stalled at 188 for two months... I figured tat my body was happy to be there to matter how strict I was on low carb. Our bodies like to be at the heaviest weight because it's always trying to predict a time when it will need to use its stores. Your body might be comfy at 150. If you want to lose more, follow the plan and keep to it.

I also noticed the salt cravings, could this be water weight? This could also be a factor. I gained two pounds of water weight when I introduced carbs into my diet.
Mariacj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 02:50 AM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sunday
Stats: 225/145/ ...
WOE: Perfect Health Diet- 16hr Daily Fast
Start Date: JUDDD - 2/01/12 Began at 200, Goal 130
I agree with both Vicky & Maria! You will continue to lose if you wish to stay on JUDDD at the lower numbers, however, you are right where your stats should be for your height. You also state that you began JUDDD for maintenance and really that is a great maintenance weight! Hmmm, do you think your physical activity may be one reason that you are craving salt on DD???

I think that if you do lose it is a bonus and extra, but it is not a "must".
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 06:49 AM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mykidsteacher
Stats: 152/134/125 5'4"
WOE: Primal as of Aug 2011/JUDDD (started 1/13/12)
Start Date: Aug 2011/I've been maintaining since April 2012
I was here mid-feb. I had gotten to my goal, should have been happy, but there was this nagging part of me that wanted to try for a bit more. And it just wasn't happening. So I was frustrated and getting upset with myself.

I think I was so caught up in the weight loss mentality, that when I got to where I actually didn't need to lose any more, I wasn't sure what to do next. I'm pretty goal driven, and simply maintaining didn't seem like much of a goal.

So I had to make a conscious decision that I was ok with where I was, my body was happy at that weight, my clothes fit great, I had more energy, and I was in maintenance. Just making a post to that effect was very helpful (and freeing).

And I realized maintenance IS a goal, and it's not always easy. I'm also really happy with my 800 cal DD's and 1600 cal UD's. I probably could lose more if I wanted to, but I don't want to work that hard. I'm ENJOYING NOT dieting or feeling like I need to lose 'just a few more pounds'' for the first time in some 20-odd years.

So my suggestion is, declare yourself to be in maintenance. See how it goes for a month or 2. Enjoy the freedom (mental if nothing else) of NOT being in wlm. And then re-evaluate.
Old 03-21-2012, 07:17 AM   #6
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
Sometimes I really wish that scales didn't have numbers. Instead of numbers, the dial would just show us a black silhouette of ourselves against a white background, and we could see if it looked pretty good or not. So if we gained two pounds, or three, the silhouette would still really look the same, and we would still feel great. Because we still looked great! And all of these little fluctuations of two or three pounds would never bother us because we'd never know about them. Instead, we seem to fixate on the number, the number, the number.

Another thing I realized is... maintenance is sort of boring sometimes. You don't seem to have that *drive* behind you anymore sometimes. Weight loss is exciting! Like, OMG! I did such a good DD today! I can hardly wait to see my weight in the morning! OMG! I'm down another pound already! I can hardly wait to update my stats! OMG! I've only been doing this for 5 weeks and I've already lost 8 pounds! This is so-o-o-o exciting!

And then... you're there. And the only challenge is to stay there, and how much should you allow for wiggle room? Yawn.

And you said you were an *achiever* type of personality, and so I think maintenance may seem fun but a bit boring for you some too, and you may not really be quite settled on exactly what weight range you want to maintain at yet.

And maybe you aren't quite there yet. As you continue to give it some thought, maybe you will decide you DO want to shed a few more pounds after awhile. But I can tell you that taking this maintenance time out won't interfere with any future weight loss if you want to do a few more pounds after awhile... and it can be a good time to learn a bit about maintaining your maintenance. LOL Like, how do you fight the salt craving battle on DDs.

Only you can decide what weight you want to maintain at. For most of us who like to eat, trying to maintain a really slim, slim weight is a bit harder, as we tend to want to also not hold our maintenance calories down as low as that requires.

I know you'll get it figured out. If you want to lose a few more pounds, this will be a great time to do it, as summer is right around the corner, and we always like to look our slimmest in the summer. I guess *swimsuit weather* and all. LOL

But for your DD salt craving, could you just fix a salty-yogurt based dip of some kind and a huge plate of crispy fresh veggies for dipping and just splurge on that for very few calories?
Old 03-21-2012, 07:22 AM   #7
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: No Diet = No Stress! Just eating healthy!
to one of our favorite JUDDD BUDDDs!!

And if it helps, I saw 133 for about 1 week and have never seen it again!! I am up and down between 134 and 137 depending on the day and I figure this is just where my body likes to be right now.

And, as you know and can do so well, when we see things "creeping up" we can reign ourselves in to put a stop to it. Yes, it's hard at times and yes, even I, think what it would be like to just eat as I wanted and stay this weight but the fact is I can't so I just keep doing what works, sometimes better than others, and know that JUDDD will turn things around for me when I need it to.

A man asked Gautama Buddha, "I want happiness." Buddha said, "First remove "I," that's Ego, then remove "want," that's Desire. See now you are left with only "Happiness.”
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 01:25 PM   #8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
Oh, and, yes. This is a wonderful question to explore and whatever you decide to do you really, really should be happy.
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 02:10 PM   #9
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: sophiethecat
Stats: 170+/135-138/145 5'6 39y pcos/IR/metformin
WOE: WL=LC then JUDDD/IF; Maintenance=IF/75%+ "healthy"
Start Date: LC 6/11; JUDDD 10/11; Maintenance 11/11
Quote:
Sometimes I really wish that scales didn't have numbers. Instead of numbers, the dial would just show us a black silhouette of ourselves against a white background, and we could see if it looked pretty good or not. So if we gained two pounds, or three, the silhouette would still really look the same, and we would still feel great. Because we still looked great! And all of these little fluctuations of two or three pounds would never bother us because we'd never know about them. Instead, we seem to fixate on the number, the number, the number.
Hehe, this is a cool idea, Pat.

Quote:
Another thing I realized is... maintenance is sort of boring sometimes. You don't seem to have that *drive* behind you anymore sometimes. Weight loss is exciting! Like, OMG! I did such a good DD today! I can hardly wait to see my weight in the morning! OMG! I'm down another pound already! I can hardly wait to update my stats! OMG! I've only been doing this for 5 weeks and I've already lost 8 pounds! This is so-o-o-o exciting!

And then... you're there. And the only challenge is to stay there, and how much should you allow for wiggle room? Yawn.

And you said you were an *achiever* type of personality, and so I think maintenance may seem fun but a bit boring for you some too, and you may not really be quite settled on exactly what weight range you want to maintain at yet.
I understand what you're saying here. While you're in WLM, there is always the next goal, the next weigh-in, hopefully the next day to jump into the forum and proclaim a new loss! It's motivating! And when someone reaches goal, and then just starts hanging around a weight, it's not the same at first.

I know it sounds crazy to anyone who has a lot of weight to lose, but I can definitely understand if someone had the above "let-down" soon after reaching maintenance.

As for me, and hopefully for anyone who thrives on the next challenge, maintenance is still a challenge with so much to look forward to. And it's a heckuva lotta fun cause I get to eat more than I did in WLM and I don't have to count calories most of the time. There are many areas of yourself you can turn your attention to in maintenance, whether it's some part of your health or fitness or something outside of yourself that the focus on weight loss has taken precedence over for so long.

[quote=Beeb;15513484] to one of our favorite JUDDD BUDDDs!!

Quote:
And if it helps, I saw 133 for about 1 week and have never seen it again!! I am up and down between 134 and 137 depending on the day and I figure this is just where my body likes to be right now.
Same here. I saw 135# a couple times but hang out now between 136 and 140#. It was like my body was sticking its big toe into the 135# water a couple times and yanked it out, going "Nope! Too cold - er, too little weight for right now!" Cause honestly, I can't believe I'm maintaining so easily below 140# Most of my life since I was 17 or 18, I've weighed above 136# that I weigh now, and so I thought 142 - 148# was my set-point. But I guess my body had other ideas since I've stayed with the healing power of JUDDD for months. And I feel great at this weight.

Hockeygal, be sure to watch your fluid intake on your DDs. Something you are eating/drinking or not may be messing with your electrolytes.

You've done SO WELL, and here you are maintaining on JUDDD only dieting part of the time.
MAINTENANCE since 11/12/11, & have lost more weight. I shake things up all the time with my version of Pirate Jenny's MUDDD, my "Fast 5" & other IF. ...low-moderate fat....and eating "healthy" foods 75+% of the time which lets me have real life and indulgences too I've reached my goals, improved my health & appearance, and enjoy my lifetime woe!

Last edited by sophiethecat; 03-21-2012 at 02:11 PM..
sophiethecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 07:16 PM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: hockey_gal
Stats: 172/156/150 5'7.5 Goal met: Aug 19/11
WOE: Moderate LC
Start Date: Aug 2010
Thank you all for your feedback.

I think maintainence is hard bc it's less exciting and kind of scary...like if I stop focussing I'm going to gain weight.

I think I'll stay here for a another month or so and re-evaluate then. As most of you point out, I'm in a healthy range now so there is no rush.

Besides, I think if I lost more weight I don't know if I could fend off hubby, LOL.
hockey_gal is offline   Reply With Quote