Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2012, 12:40 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Karinala
Stats: 230/154/155 5'8"
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: 1/12/2012
how to count ground beef?

Do I count the weight after it is cooked, or is it the raw meat that is the proper measure? I am guessing cooked, but I want to be sure. Sorry if this is a stupid question.
Karinala is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-20-2012, 12:43 PM   #2
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
Depends on the counting tool you're using. If it says raw, then weigh it raw. If it says cooked, then weigh it after you cook it
There was a long discussion on here about how much fat you can deduct by rinsing it once cooked
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 12:57 PM   #3
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Karinala
Stats: 230/154/155 5'8"
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: 1/12/2012
blah

rinsing ground beef???? Gag me! OK, when I look in the counter I will add the word 'cooked' and see if anything comes up. (using fat secret) thanks!
Karinala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 01:43 PM   #4
Administrator

lol yes it sounds odd, but it's an old (old old) low-calorie/fat trick. Cook the beef, then put it in a colander and rinse the fat off.
Supposedly it makes a pretty big impact on the final calories
Old 03-20-2012, 02:42 PM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: sterlinggirl
Stats: 225/166/165 47 5'9
WOE: JUDDD FOR LIFE!
Start Date: Jan 2012. Name Kimberly
I do this.. and its surpizing how after you add your spices to it you would never miss the excess fat/grease
sterlinggirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 03:04 PM   #6
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: adillenal
I am not washing my ground meat. I like what little fat our super lean ground meat has. We raised a very lean steer and he is in the freezer. Great homegrown meat. But I don't rinse it, I eat it.
adillenal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 03:54 PM   #7
Administrator

This is interesting, I found an article on livestrong about it:

Draining Fat

Ground beef is often fattier than other types of meat, but you can even the fat score to some degree by buying lean ground beef and draining it after cooking. A 1994 University of Minnesota study found that draining cooked ground beef reduced fat content by 31 percent to 35 percent. The study further found that rinsing the meat with hot water reduced the fat content yet again by 25 percent to 30 percent. This process did not affect cholesterol content. It increased iron content, but not significantly. Niacin, or vitamin B3, which increases the “good” cholesterol in your blood, decreased significantly -- by 28 percent -- but the amount left still met the Food and Drug Administration criteria as a good source of niacin.

Protein, Vitamins and Minerals

Any drained ground beef has less fat, but leaner ground beef contains more protein. For example, 3 oz. of 90/10 provides 20 grams of protein, while 70/30 provides just over 14 g. Potassium, necessary for heart health, and choline, essential for a healthy liver, are also increased. Though draining and rinsing cooked ground beef decreases niacin overall, the leaner beef contains more than the fattier. However, calcium in the 90 percent lean ground beef is less by half -- 12 mg as opposed to 24 mg in the 70 percent lean. The fattier meat also has three times as much vitamin K, for blood coagulation, as the lean meat. The amounts of other vitamins and minerals stay relatively the same between the two.

http://www.thedailyplate.com/ <-- food and exercise tracking
http://www.onlineconversion.com/ <-- cooking and other conversions

Need to contact LCF?
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/contact.html

Everyone has an opinion. Take what you need and leave the rest.

2014 resolution: stop being my own worst enemy and critic!
Old 03-20-2012, 04:12 PM   #8
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/144 - 150/155, 5'9", 41 y.o., Hypothyroid
WOE: Maintenance - 5:2/JUDDD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dottie View Post
This is interesting, I found an article on livestrong about it:

Draining Fat

Ground beef is often fattier than other types of meat, but you can even the fat score to some degree by buying lean ground beef and draining it after cooking. A 1994 University of Minnesota study found that draining cooked ground beef reduced fat content by 31 percent to 35 percent. The study further found that rinsing the meat with hot water reduced the fat content yet again by 25 percent to 30 percent. This process did not affect cholesterol content. It increased iron content, but not significantly. Niacin, or vitamin B3, which increases the “good” cholesterol in your blood, decreased significantly -- by 28 percent -- but the amount left still met the Food and Drug Administration criteria as a good source of niacin.

Protein, Vitamins and Minerals

Any drained ground beef has less fat, but leaner ground beef contains more protein. For example, 3 oz. of 90/10 provides 20 grams of protein, while 70/30 provides just over 14 g. Potassium, necessary for heart health, and choline, essential for a healthy liver, are also increased. Though draining and rinsing cooked ground beef decreases niacin overall, the leaner beef contains more than the fattier. However, calcium in the 90 percent lean ground beef is less by half -- 12 mg as opposed to 24 mg in the 70 percent lean. The fattier meat also has three times as much vitamin K, for blood coagulation, as the lean meat. The amounts of other vitamins and minerals stay relatively the same between the two.
Oh goodness. Now I'm even more confused than I was! I guess it's good that I don't eat much red meat these days!
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 04:44 PM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Truffles
Stats: 142/125/128 JUDDD
WOE: LC&JUDDD
Start Date: 3/11 LC - 1/12 LC/JUDDD
Check this out...Rinsing Browned Ground Beef | Taste of Home Cooking-Tips
Truffles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 04:45 PM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Truffles
Stats: 142/125/128 JUDDD
WOE: LC&JUDDD
Start Date: 3/11 LC - 1/12 LC/JUDDD
Rinsing Ground Beef...

Came from this thread...
Truffles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 04:48 PM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: sterlinggirl
Stats: 225/166/165 47 5'9
WOE: JUDDD FOR LIFE!
Start Date: Jan 2012. Name Kimberly
Quote:
Originally Posted by adillenal View Post
I am not washing my ground meat. I like what little fat our super lean ground meat has. We raised a very lean steer and he is in the freezer. Great homegrown meat. But I don't rinse it, I eat it.
i love your defiant "im not washing my meat! I loved this.. and yah i can agree if ya raised it your self i can see why you would say that.. but i still found it funny
sterlinggirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 08:55 AM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: thomasina838
WOE: JUDDD & paleo
Start Date: 16 Feb 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karinala View Post
Do I count the weight after it is cooked, or is it the raw meat that is the proper measure? I am guessing cooked, but I want to be sure. Sorry if this is a stupid question.
doesnt matter as long as you count the right thing. i use the raw measurement for 5% ground beef. about 40 cals per oz. but if it is cooked then it is about 50 per oz. but the protein is also higher. about 7.7 g per oz instead of 6.3 per oz. there is no proper measurement on JUDDD as long as you track the cals.,
thomasina838 is offline   Reply With Quote