Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2012, 08:39 AM   #1
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Yam-Yam
Stats: 230/191/165 @5'9"tall and 60 yrs. alive
WOE: Dukan 8/1/11 and now JUDDD
Start Date: 8/1/11 RE-start 1/1/14
Wow! Sirtuin enzymes rock!

I've heard so many wise JUDDers mention the sirtuin enzymes that are the core of the JUDD magic. So, I just started reading articles about them and what role they play in our bodies and how to stimulate them.

The first one I'm reading is on Wikipedia.

If you are as interested and fascinated as I am, you should type "sirtuin enzymes" into your Google search bar.

Here is a link to the Wikipedia one. Be sure and toggle down to the gray chart in the middle of the page. SIRT 1 (the one activated by JUDD DDs) is for metabolism and inflamation. SIRT 2 also is involved in adipostes (can't remember how to spell, but it means that it melts fat cells forcing them to release fat into the bloodstream where it quickly is process and flushed out through the kidneys.)

We are on a fat burning plan, Girlfriends! No wonder I keep reading about so many JUDDers losing inches and getting baggy butt syndrome in their jeans!!!

Here is the link:

Sirtuin - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I'm going to find more articles and read them. I'm a totally committed information junkie. I get so excited about this stuff! We are not just on a plan that will make the scale go down. We are on an anti-aging, healing, fat melting, immune boosting journey. So cool.

"Weight loss isn't about winning a race; it's about crossing the finish line at your own pace." -Dianna Rodriguiz

current numbers: 2000/400
goal numbers: 1700/350 (just a reminder)

Last edited by Yam-Yam; 03-19-2012 at 08:41 AM..
Yam-Yam is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-19-2012, 08:46 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: DD80
Stats: 188/165.0/145 5'10"
WOE: Organic GrassFed Gluten-Free 5/13 Dairy Free 2/14
Start Date: 1/10/12 Medi, 2/9/12 First UD, 1/1/13 New Plan
I have baggy butt syndome! ...and I it!

I took the book out of the library just to see what was in it. I'm definitely curious. This is, by far, my favorite "diet" plan. It really feels like I could do this forever. NEVER felt that way before!

I used to do WW and I loved the old plan, but once it switched to Points Plus, I just couldn't get the hang of it. I never lost any weight on that plan (and neither have any of my friends). I was also disheartened to see that for maintenance, I'd only get like 4 more points per day. That's really not much more food and I was already so hungry.

JUDDD!!!
DD80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 08:52 AM   #3
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: sophiethecat
Stats: 170+/135-138/145 5'6 39y pcos/IR/metformin
WOE: WL=LC then JUDDD/IF; Maintenance=IF/75%+ "healthy"
Start Date: LC 6/11; JUDDD 10/11; Maintenance 11/11
Thanks for posting this, Yam! I've read that article before 'cause I'm an info junky too, lol. You should see the number of tabs I always have open on my browser where I'm reading about sirtuins, IF fasting regimen, longevity, etc.

Yes, JUDDD is merciless to our fat cells, but loving to our muscles!

Last edited by sophiethecat; 03-19-2012 at 09:40 AM..
sophiethecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 08:53 AM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: vilanteira
Stats: in maintenance
WOE: juddd/lower carb
Start Date: low carb: 2008, juddd: 10/24/11
Love all this info, Yam Yam, and I'm definitely seeing proof of it in myself as well! Pounds had been going slowly for me, but inches, especially where it counts (that stubborn huge belly of mine on my apple-shaped body that never budges no matter what diet or woe I'd done in the past or how many pounds I'd lost) is literally whittling away before my eyes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yam-Yam View Post
We are on an anti-aging, healing, fat melting, immune boosting journey. So cool.
Who doesn't want to be on this type of a journey, seriously? I'm loving it every step of the way!
vilanteira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 08:53 AM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: vanilla_latte
Stats: Weigh/Too/Much!
WOE: Atkins '72
Start Date: Oh, ya know..every morning!
I gave this another name in another thread - BPS (Baggy Pant Syndrome)!!

I'm looking forward to it!
vanilla_latte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 09:21 AM   #6
Blabbermouth!!!

"...recently researchers learned that sirtuins are also involved in processes with much more medical -- and commercial -- potential: They are part of a feedback system that enhances cell survival during times of stress, especially if that stress is a lack of food.

For years researchers have known that life span can be extended by 50 percent or more in many kinds of creatures, including flies, worms and mice, if the animal is fed a diet that is nutritious but contains about 30 percent fewer calories than usual. Recently scientists found that the life-extending benefits of calorie restriction do not occur if the animal has been genetically altered to lack sirtuins, indicating these enzymes are crucial to this process.

Now scientists are coming to understand sirtuins' role in that life-extending response. In people, for example, they seem to halt the normal cellular cycle that ends with old cells committing suicide and instead help rejuvenate them by beefing up their DNA repair processes and stimulating production of protective antioxidants.

"What we think is that if a cell is at a point of deciding whether to live or die, these sirtuins push toward the survival mode and let the cell try a little harder and longer to fix itself," said Sinclair, who has a financial stake in a new effort to develop sirtuin-related products with BIOMOL Research Laboratories of Plymouth Meeting, Pa.

Leonard Guarente, a researcher at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology in Cambridge, is also enthusiastic about the compounds' potential as anti-aging aids.

"We're very keen on the idea that this is it" -- that sirtuins are the central regulator of the aging process -- Guarente said. He is a founder of Elixir Pharmaceuticals of Cambridge, Mass., which, like Sinclair and BIOMOL, hopes to capitalize on chemicals that can boost sirtuin activity. "

Interesting to say the least!!! Demonstrates that calorie restriction, i.e. IF, JUDD really is amazing for anti-aging! We are doing something really healthy for our bodies here!
Old 03-19-2012, 09:22 AM   #7
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanilla_latte View Post
I gave this another name in another thread - BPS (Baggy Pant Syndrome)!!

I'm looking forward to it!
Is BPS the first cousin to GPS? Navigating our buttocks south??
Old 03-19-2012, 09:41 AM   #8
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yam-Yam View Post
Is BPS the first cousin to GPS? Navigating our buttocks south??
Old 03-19-2012, 09:43 AM   #9
Blabbermouth!!!

This one's a little old, but still interesting, ntl.

Anti-aging pathway enhances cell stress response
Thursday, February 19, 2009

Sirt1 Structure
People everywhere are feeling the stress of a worldwide recession. Our cells, too, are under continual assault from stress.

Hidden from sight, our cells battle challenges such as their environment, bacteria, viruses, too much or too little oxygen, and physiological stressors. Molecular systems protect cells under assault, but those systems can break down, especially with age.

To better understand how cells are protected from stress and damage, a team led by Northwestern University researchers studied the effect of resveratrol, a beneficial chemical found in red wine, on human cells in tissue culture.

The findings may help explain what happens in neurodegenerative diseases, which are age-related, when cell protection fails, proteins misfold, lots of damage accumulates and the system falls apart.

The researchers discovered a new molecular relationship critical to keeping cells healthy across a long span of time: a protein called SIRT1, important for caloric restriction and lifespan and activated by resveratrol, regulates heat shock factor 1 (HSF1), keeping it active. HSF1 in turn senses the presence of damaged proteins in the cell and elevates the expression of molecular chaperones to keep a cell's proteins in a folded, functional state. Regulation of this pathway has a direct beneficial effect to cells, the research shows.

This role of SIRT1 -- a protein already of great interest to pharmaceutical companies -- was not previously known. The results will be published in the Feb. 20 issue of the journal Science.

"When SIRT1 levels are high, you are in a high-protection mode," said Richard I. Morimoto, Bill and Gayle Cook Professor of Biochemistry, Molecular Biology and Cell Biology in Northwestern's Weinberg College of Arts and Sciences. He led the research team.

"Ironically, triggering the stress response and perhaps maintaining the cell in a protective state over a long period of time can keep cells healthy," said Morimoto. "The cell is protected against an accumulation of damage when HSF1 is more active."

SIRT1 levels decrease as humans age, Morimoto explains. Cells can't respond to stress as well. This decrease in SIRT1 may help explain why protein misfolding diseases, such as Alzheimer's, Parkinson's, Huntington's and adult-onset diabetes, are diseases of aging.

"We now have a powerful way to think about addressing neurodegenerative diseases," said Morimoto. "We have identified a pathway that can be manipulated to alter lifespan. Discovering this new basis for therapeutics is very exciting."

###

Northwestern University: Home : Northwestern University
Thanks to Northwestern University for this article.
MAINTENANCE since 11/12/11, & have lost more weight. I shake things up all the time with my version of Pirate Jenny's MUDDD, my "Fast 5" & other IF. ...low-moderate fat....and eating "healthy" foods 75+% of the time which lets me have real life and indulgences too I've reached my goals, improved my health & appearance, and enjoy my lifetime woe!
Old 03-19-2012, 09:43 AM   #10
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sunday
Stats: 225/145/ ...
WOE: Perfect Health Diet- 16hr Daily Fast
Start Date: JUDDD - 2/01/12 Began at 200, Goal 130
ALSO, let's not forget the scientific evidence that points to benefits for Type II Diabetes, Cardiovascular and Cancer!!!

Alternate-day fasting and chronic disease prevention: a review of human and animal trialsAlternate-day fasting and chronic disease prevention: a review of human and animal trials

Which brings me to ask does anyone here also use Resveratrol?

Last edited by sunday; 03-19-2012 at 09:46 AM..
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 09:46 AM   #11
Blabbermouth!!!

Thanks, Sophie! ---You IF, IJ friend!
Old 03-19-2012, 09:53 AM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunday View Post

I used to take resveratol, but it didn't agree with me. I don't remember how...just some vitamins make me feel icky. Maybe I'll try it again.
Old 03-19-2012, 10:00 AM   #13
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

If you take it on an empty tummy, does it make you a bit nauseous? I have to take my vitamins after breakfast or right before bed because, I will also have a bit of nausea.
Old 03-19-2012, 10:03 AM   #14
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
ALSO, let's not forget the scientific evidence that points to benefits for Type II Diabetes, Cardiovascular and Cancer!!!

Alternate-day fasting and chronic disease prevention: a review of human and animal trialsAlternate-day fasting and chronic disease prevention: a review of human and animal trials

I bought a bottle of it in December and took a dose every day. But it did not seem to do anything either way. Felt like it was just a waste of money.
Old 03-19-2012, 10:05 AM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
If you take it on an empty tummy, does it make you a bit nauseous? I have to take my vitamins after breakfast or right before bed because, I will also have a bit of nausea.
I don't remember. I think I was getting more headaches/back pain with it. I notice that with some of my vitamins. I'm not sure if it's what is in them, or what they are maide out of. Sometimes, if I'm allergic to one, it will make me feel cruddy too... I drink lots of red wine to make up for it though!
Old 03-19-2012, 10:08 AM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: theredhead
Stats: 229/147/145
WOE: Atkins/hCG/maintaining EASILY with JUDDD
Start Date: 09/04/03
I seem to remember that Pat (SoHappy) posted about how the major study on Resveratrol was flawed, or downright deceptive. I searched a little for it, but didn't find it. I DID find this good article, though, that cautions about being too optimistic about this supplement. YMMV.
Resveratrol
theredhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 10:11 AM   #17
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I am taking a very high dose and I will report back on whether or not I see the benefit. It is definitely included in these scientific publications as being a significant aid to fasting.

One more on the "disappearing fat"...

Calorie restriction increases fatty acid synthesis and whole body fat oxidation rates
Old 03-19-2012, 10:13 AM   #18
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:

I mostly get mine from red wine, which I have almost daily.

There's also plenty in peanuts, though I'm not a peanut butter fanatic, but I do have some at least 1 x week with dark chocolate as a carrier (sort of my own gourmet, hopefully-healthier version of a Reeses cup)

Cocoa and dark chocolate contain it, and as said above, I have dark chocolate now and then, usually 80 - 90% cocoa, either dipped in Jif natural peanut butter or nibbled by itself.

It's in grapes, but I rarely have those. It's in grape juice and cranberry juice, but I tend to avoid juices to prevent BG probs.

Blueberries and other berries, especially uncooked ones, have resveratrol, and I do enjoy these almost daily with some yogurt.

Now, about the supplements. I never bothered since I do drink wine and eat some of the foods that contain it, but recently I did buy a bottle of the cheap stuff from Walmart. It's a red wine complex and has red wine extract (grape skin), 60 mg. vitamin C, citrus bioflavanoids, grapeseed extract, resveratrol, grape extract. It's probably healthy to take, but I doubt it has much resveratrol, it doesn't even list the amount on the label which is usually not a good sign. But, , it's a start to getting more good stuff in my diet.

I'm not sure at all of course, but I see it being a possibility that resveratrol might give a boost to the sirtuin start-up for those beginning JUDDD. But I think if a person already enjoys red wine or the resveratrol foods, then taking the supplement probably wouldn't be necessary. I take very few supplements because I think it's better to get them from real foods. I do take curcumin, the beneficial part of turmeric.

For me, if drinking red wine or eating these resveratrol foods enhances any of JUDDDs effects, that is QUITE nice.

Last edited by sophiethecat; 03-19-2012 at 10:17 AM..
Old 03-19-2012, 10:16 AM   #19
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: sterlinggirl
Stats: 225/166/165 47 5'9
WOE: JUDDD FOR LIFE!
Start Date: Jan 2012. Name Kimberly
Great post here YamYAM i love all this information.. i am a junkie too when i find somthing i just have to know every thing about !!
sterlinggirl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 10:33 AM   #20
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Sophie,
I love dark chocolate, blueberries & wine!

In fact, most UD, I sneak a little of all 3. I would eat blueberries everday if I wasn't in WL mode. I can't weight until I can.

I also take Turmeric which is great for a variety of issues, like IBS, pain, inflammation, etc.
Old 03-19-2012, 10:39 AM   #21
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Sophie,

In fact, most UD, I sneak a little of all 3. I would eat blueberries everday if I wasn't in WL mode. I can't weight until I can.

I also take Turmeric which is great for a variety of issues, like IBS, pain, inflammation, etc.
I take curcumin as well. I like it and I think it helps! I also take fish oil, coconut oil (as supplement), borage oil, caprylic acid, and vitamin D for those things. I like to throw in some vitamin E, biotin, and ester-C for good measure. I have a ton more vitamins in my closet... I like to switch things up! I am hypothyroid and have psoriasis so most things I've bought were to help with those things. I had my tonsils out in 2008, and lost a ton of hair because of that (and I'm sure other factors). It's getting much thicker now!

I could eat cheese, crackers, dark chocolate, regular chocolate, fruit, and wine everyday. I love that stuff!

Last edited by DD80; 03-19-2012 at 10:42 AM..
Old 03-19-2012, 10:44 AM   #22
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

So, it sounds like we have a for some seriously "healthy" foods!

I just take COq10, Krill Oil, Resveratrol, Curcumin, & a multi! I said I would cut back one day, but I truly think I need these for my health.
Old 03-19-2012, 10:48 AM   #23
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Sophie,

I love them too!

Turmeric/curcumin is one of those supps that has good scientific support behind it for doing great things in the body!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DD80 View Post
I take curcumin as well. I like it and I think it helps! I also take fish oil, coconut oil (as supplement), borage oil, caprylic acid, and vitamin D for those things. I like to throw in some vitamin E, biotin, and ester-C for good measure. I have a ton more vitamins in my closet... I like to switch things up!

I could eat cheese, crackers, dark chocolate, regular chocolate, fruit, and wine everyday. I love that stuff!
I love that stuff too!

I take fish oil (but not if I know I'm going to eat fish that day), curcumin, 1/2 a multi vitamin every day or every other day, vitamin D on the days I don't get much sun (which is most of the time), sometimes potassium since I've been deficient in the past, and recently started the red wine complex.

Last edited by sophiethecat; 03-19-2012 at 10:56 AM..
Old 03-19-2012, 11:06 AM   #24
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
So, it sounds like we have a for some seriously "healthy" foods!

I just take COq10, Krill Oil, Resveratrol, Curcumin, & a multi! I said I would cut back one day, but I truly think I need these for my health.
I don't think that's too many. If they help, then what's the harm? I've seen some good improvements in my skin and metabolism (and my hair and nails), so I know something is working!
Old 03-19-2012, 11:13 AM   #25
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DD80 View Post
I don't think that's too many. If they help, then what's the harm? I've seen some good improvements in my skin and metabolism (and my hair and nails), so I know something is working!
I don't think that's too many either, and if it's working for you, no reason to stop.

In the past, I took a whole cocktail of supps (though not nearly as many as some people I read about) and was almost obsessed with getting the right form of the nutrient in just the right amount, combined with the other right nutrients, and at the right times of day. Um yeah, I've relaxed a whole lot there.
Old 03-19-2012, 11:21 AM   #26
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sophiethecat View Post
I don't think that's too many either, and if it's working for you, no reason to stop.

In the past, I took a whole cocktail of supps (though not nearly as many as some people I read about) and was almost obsessed with getting the right form of the nutrient in just the right amount, combined with the other right nutrients, and at the right times of day. Um yeah, I've relaxed a whole lot there.
Me too. I did so much research on supplements because of all my health issues. I was taking so many...it was hard to keep up with them! I had ones to take w/o food, ones with food, and twice/day to boot! I try to be good about them now, but sometimes, I give myself a few weeks off just to let my body rest. I feel like I need it sometimes...like i need to let my body clean out all the leftovers. Anyway, I'm happy with my "minimal" amount now!
Old 03-19-2012, 11:38 AM   #27
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/124/126 5'3" Age 66
WOE: JUDDD/5:2
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
Great info here, thanks Yam-Yam.

I too used to load my body with supplements, until it got to me all of a sudden. Threw them in the bin, $$$$ worth.

Now I take vit D and Magnesium.

Do drink red wine and eat dark chocolate and blueberries though.
Kissa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 07:57 PM   #28
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: chelsearose
Stats: 159/154/Whatever gets me in a 6-8
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: March 5, 2012
only2

another one who takes only D and magnesium
chelsearose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 09:20 AM   #29
Blabbermouth!!!

Beyond SIRT1, they have found that SIRT3 is probably much more important in humans for the health benefits and the life extension (and also activated by our CR we do on JUDDD).

Scientists Ferret out a Key Pathway for Aging

ScienceDaily (Nov. 18, 2010) Ś For decades, scientists have been searching for the fundamental biological secrets of how eating less extends lifespan.

It has been well documented in species ranging from spiders to monkeys that a diet with consistently fewer calories can dramatically slow the process of aging and improve health in old age. But how a reduced diet acts at the most basic level to influence metabolism and physiology to blunt the age-related decline of tissues and cells has remained, for the most part, a mystery.

Now, writing in the Nov. 18 online issue of the journal Cell, a team of scientists from the University of Wisconsin-Madison and their colleagues describe a molecular pathway that is a key determinant of the aging process. The finding not only helps explain the cascade of events that contributes to aging, but also provides a rational basis for devising interventions, drugs that may ****** aging and contribute to better health in old age.

"We're getting closer and closer to a good understanding of how caloric restriction works," says Tomas A. Prolla, a UW-Madison professor of genetics and a senior author of the new Cell study. "This study is the first direct proof for a mechanism underlying the anti-aging effects we observe under caloric restriction."

The Wisconsin study focuses on an enzyme known as Sirt3, one of a family of enzymes known as sirtuins, which have been implicated in previous studies in the aging process, gene transcription, programmed cell death and stress resistance under reduced calorie conditions. In mammals, including humans, there are seven sirtuins that seem to have wide-ranging influence on cell fate and physiology.

Sirt3 has been less studied than other members of the sirtuin family, but the new study provides "the first clear evidence that sirtuins have anti-aging effects in mammals," according to John M. Denu of UW-Madison's Wisconsin Institute for Discovery and a senior author of the report.

The Sirt3 enzyme, Denu explains, acts on mitochondria, structures inside cells that produce energy and that are the sources of highly reactive forms of oxygen known as free radicals, which damage cells and promote the effects of aging. Under reduced-calorie conditions, levels of Sirt3 amp up, altering metabolism and resulting in fewer free radicals produced by mitochondria.

"This is the strongest and most direct link that caloric restriction acts through mitochondria," says Prolla, who has studied the effects of reduced calorie diets on aging and health for more than a decade. "Sirt3 is playing a surprisingly important role in reprogramming mitochondria to deal with an altered metabolic state under caloric restriction."

The lead authors of the new study are postdoctoral fellows Shinichi Someya, of UW-Madison and the University of Tokyo, and Wei Yu of UW-Madison. The work involved a mouse model that exhibits age-related hearing loss, a phenomenon associated with free radical damage to the cells of the cochlea, a structure in the inner ear that converts sound vibrations to nerve impulses. Age-related hearing loss is common in humans, and is newly exemplified by such things as ultrasonic cell phone ring tones that only the very young can hear as the cells that capture the highest frequencies are the first to go.

"Hearing loss is associated with the loss of specific cell types in the cochlea," notes Prolla, whose previous work established a genetic link to cell death and age-related hearing loss. "And hearing loss is prevented through caloric restriction."

In companion experiments in cultured cells and detailed in the Cell report, the Wisconsin team and their colleagues show that elevated levels of Sirt3 protect cells from cell stress and death caused by free radicals.

"Sirt3 is sufficient to provide protection against oxidative damage," says Denu.

Although sirtuins have been studied extensively and are believed by many scientists to play a role in aging, the new study is the first to conclusively link the enzymes to slowing the aging process in mammals. According to Denu, who is also a professor of biomolecular chemistry in the UW School of Medicine and Public Health, knowing the molecular basis of how the sirtuin enzymes work may ultimately lead to the rational development of drugs that activate the pathways of enzymes like Sirt3 to slow down the process of aging.

In addition to Denu, Prolla, Yu and Someya, authors of the study include William C. Hallows and James M. Vann of UW-Madison; Jinze Zu and Christiaan Leeuwenburgh of the University of Florida; and Masaru Tanokura of the University of Tokyo. The work was supported by the U.S. National Institutes of Health; the Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science, and Technologies of Japan; and the Marine Bio Foundation.

The above story is reprinted from materials provided by University of Wisconsin-Madison. The original article was written by Terry Devitt.
Old 03-20-2012, 09:53 AM   #30
Blabbermouth!!!

Excellent, Sophie! Keep 'em coming!!