Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2012, 10:53 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Muffabuff
Stats: 5ft tall start 143 now 116.5
WOE: LC / JUDDD. Started juddd 3/26/12
Start Date: 11/15/12
Really confused!

I am thinking of trying JUDD. I went to the site and calculated my DD at 298 calories and my UD at 1489 calories. The UD calories seem really low to me, is this just for the two week induction or for continued weight loss? The site is confusing because it says you can eat as much as you want on Up days, so am I restricted to 1489 calories or not. And if I am, is it just for the two weeks? If I can only eat 1489 on my UP days it's not worth it to me to suffer the down days as just under 1500 calories is not exactly a splurge! I would really appreciate some clarification on the rules for JUDD!!!
Muffabuff is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-18-2012, 11:30 PM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: MintQ8
Stats: 264.6 (restart 260.2)/255/140
WOE: JUDDDD
Start Date: 6 May 2014
There are several ways of looking at the UD Cals - and to an extent it's what works for you, and where you are on your weight loss journey.

Your numbers are so relatively low because of your height and current weight - whilst you want to lose 11lbs or more - your cal limits will probably be determined by your need for speed at this point.

If you want to drop as quickly as you can to 115 - I would suggest 500/1500 as your calorie spread - giving you an average of 1000.

However, back to Dr J's comments about eating as much as you want on Up Days.
I think (and there are other opinions) that the UD calorie number on the calculator is there to help to calculate the DD %ages - otherwise how do you know what the DD%ages would be? Got to start somewhere. So the idea is that you eat to satiety.

I think that to get your balance right you need to be eating around your UD cal numbers. However, I don't think there is a hard and fast rule - you have to make it work for you. Some people have difficulty reaching their UD numbers - others have had to restrict them to make the woe work - although a lot of us find that we lose best when we eat up to our UD cals - rather than consistently below them. But that isn't true for everyone either.

Leo, who is probably the most successful JUDDDer (losing over 100lbs) has had to eat very low cals on both UD & (I think) DD. Thomasina had to reduce the UD limit she was given. Other people have lost extremely well eating at or higher than their UD numbers.

So, in answer to your question. A lot will depend on you, your metabolism and your needs - but I would recommend giving it 2 weeks at 500/1700 and seeing how you do. And not worrying overly much if you go over that UD number. You won't lose weight dramatically quickly - but you'll only truly be dieting 50% of the time and there are so many other benefits that come with JUDDD.

Good luck with what ever you decide to do.
Old 03-19-2012, 12:28 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Mint, I cannot thank you enough for your help. I am going to take your advice and do the 500/1700 that you recommended for me. While I want to stay mostly LC, I really miss certain things like my lattes, cinnamon oatmeal, and vanilla Greek yogurt with berries! It's funny how these foods now seem like splurges to me. I still wouldn't think of eating "white" carbs on a daily basis these days like bread and rice, but I would like more dairy. I feel like if I don't change things up I'll be stalled forever. Also, I have asthma and arthritis and would greatly benefit from an anti inflammatory WOE. Whenever I see my 22 yr old daughter I get a glimpse of my old body and I'd prefer to see it in my mirror lol. Well fingers crossed I'll find success with this WOE! Thanks again!
Old 03-19-2012, 03:36 AM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
Muff!

What Vicky said.

Because you are already a small person the calculated calories are low. Your metabolism is really going to play into what you need to lose those last pounds.

Starting at 500/1700 and tuning them if you need to is a great plan.
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 03:59 AM   #5
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/124/126 5'3" Age 66
WOE: JUDDD/5:2
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
Good to have you with us Muff.

Don't forget to start with an UD which includes some of thosethings you have missed.

Post often and join the Newbie thread.
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 06:14 AM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sazzie
Stats: Maintaining ±4 lbs.
WOE: JUDDD
Muff

So glad you joined us!
sazzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 07:00 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: KathyL
Stats: 205/118-122/125 5'4" Age 53
WOE: low glycemic index in 2011 JUDDD in 2012
Start Date: January 2011
Without considering exercise I get something like 1507/301 which I felt from past experience was too low for my UDs. So I plugged in my exercise (as moderate even though I am more likely in the 'hard' category) and got 1947/389 for UDs. Much better! I came up with a compromise of 1750-1850 and that has worked for me and leaves me some wiggle room when I want/need it.

Oh, and welcome to the group!
KathyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 07:05 AM   #8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: MintQ8
Stats: 264.6 (restart 260.2)/255/140
WOE: JUDDDD
Start Date: 6 May 2014
Just wanted to pop back in and say the 500/1700 may not work, but I hope it will (based on KathyL's experience - thanks Kathy) - and if you add back some carbs, you may see an initial weight gain. But give it the time and I think it will work.
MintQ8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 08:06 AM   #9
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: sophiethecat
Stats: 170+/135-138/145 5'6 39y pcos/IR/metformin
WOE: WL=LC then JUDDD/IF; Maintenance=IF/75%+ "healthy"
Start Date: LC 6/11; JUDDD 10/11; Maintenance 11/11
Muff! Great advice given already. Give it at least 2 weeks before you tweek any further. Some people have to lower cals, others end up raising, but it takes 2 - 3 weeks to get the JUDDD magic activated, though of course there are exceptions. Let us know how it's going for you.
sophiethecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 08:12 AM   #10
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Yam-Yam
Stats: 230/191/165 @5'9"tall and 60 yrs. alive
WOE: Dukan 8/1/11 and now JUDDD
Start Date: 8/1/11 RE-start 1/1/14
Yam-Yam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 08:20 AM   #11
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: No Diet = No Stress! Just eating healthy!
and you have gotten wonderful advice here from Mint and Kathy, plus others.

I would up those DD calories to 500 and maybe start at 1650 if you are an avid exerciser, and if you are finding that the UD calories are not moving things along, then bring them down. Leave the DD calories alone for now until you get the "hang" of JUDDD and if you want in a bit, lower those, too to maybe get closer to the suggested calories on the JUDDD calculator. Give it a couple of weeks at the higher numbers and see what happens. You can always go lower!

A man asked Gautama Buddha, "I want happiness." Buddha said, "First remove "I," that's Ego, then remove "want," that's Desire. See now you are left with only "Happiness.”
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 11:40 AM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mainemom
Stats: 147/125/115 5' 1"
WOE: LC; Intermittent Fasting; Wheat Free
Start Date: January 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffabuff View Post
I am thinking of trying JUDD. I went to the site and calculated my DD at 298 calories and my UD at 1489 calories. The UD calories seem really low to me, is this just for the two week induction or for continued weight loss? The site is confusing because it says you can eat as much as you want on Up days, so am I restricted to 1489 calories or not. And if I am, is it just for the two weeks? If I can only eat 1489 on my UP days it's not worth it to me to suffer the down days as just under 1500 calories is not exactly a splurge! I would really appreciate some clarification on the rules for JUDD!!!
Hey, Muffabuff: Wanted to respond since we're pretty close in stats and maybe my experiences will give you some "food" for thought. I'm 5'1" and 51 yrs old.

I lost the bulk of my weight doing LC for about 10 months, starting at 147, then moved to a moderate carb JUDDD WOE after a 25 lb loss, when my wt loss on LC slowed to a crawl then just stopped. Am I correct that you've lost successfully w/LC and are considering a more moderate carb JUDDD plan to get to your goal and maintain?

I, too, couldn't imagine such low DD cals. I chose a 500 limit on DDs, and 1400 on UDs, in the slower wt loss mode (I think the 30% mode) thanks to lots of advice from more experienced JUDDDers.

But let's face it: there comes a point that if we really do want to attain a certain weight goal, we have to either: 1) make some big, lasting changes in how and/or what we're eating, or 2) accept the weight we are and accept that we might maintain that weight or even (likely) gain back any losses without instilling a good eating plan for life.

Once you're past the 2 weeks, you may find you can satisfy your appetite (what Dr J called "eating to satisfaction") pretty easily on the 1500 cals, and the DDs do get easier when you get past the "ONLY 500 cals!?!" shock. It's true that a lot of the LC fare we were used to when doing LC/Atkins can be pretty high cal and those cals certainly do add up. And much as we hate to admit it, calories do matter after a time, particularly as we get closer to goal.

I will be honest: my loss has been very slow, prob. due to a combination of factors w/age, ht, menopause, but especially me pushing the upper limits of both DDs and UDs. Despite this, I'm still managing to lose, eat foods that I wouldn't allow myself to eat on a strict LC WOE, and I feel really good - especially when I keep PROCESSED carbs, wheat and sugar very low. But oh, like you said, what a treat it is to have yogurt and fruit, oatmeal, maybe a corn tortilla from time to time.

The way I figure it, at this point, I don't mind slow as long I am losing, and, especially, not gaining. I'm almost at goal and headed for maintenance. I can see myself eating this way - JUDDD combined w/moderate amounts of carbs - for life. 'Cause I know the alternative: regaining all the weight plus more, poor health, and generally feeling like crap.
"...had we been discussing disorders of growth - why some people grow to be more than seven feet tall and others never make it to four feet - the only subject of discussion would be the hormones and enzymes that regulate growth. And yet, when we're discussing a disorder in which the defining symptom is the abnormal growth of our fat tissue, the hormones and enzymes that regulate that growth are considered irrelevant."
- Gary Taubes, Why We Get Fat
mainemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 08:07 AM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Thanks everyone and mainemom you sound like you and I are in the same " little " boat lol. Probably 1500 won't seem so bad after years of being on those awful 1200 a day diets. That extra 300 really can go a long way! since I plan to stay mostly low carb my appetite should stay in check. Most weeks I usually do 2- 3 days of HIIT on my Natilus. I've had to take the last month off because of back problems. Hopefully I won't have lost all my gains and be back at the beginning! I'm too big a scaredy cat to start at 1700 so I'll try 1500 or 1600. I'm playing a goodbye party to my daily 7pieces of bacon as it will "eat" up too many of those 1500 cals, no pun intended lol. I feel very welcome thanks to you all and after I shop for some of my favs I will begin and give an update.
Old 03-21-2012, 08:21 AM   #14
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
Glad to see your post here this morning! I'm excited for you and will be eagerly following your progress to goal! Good luck, and welcome!
SoHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 01:23 PM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Thanks Pat I'm glad to hear from you. I must admit I'm kind of scared to start a new WOE. Even though I'm stalled on Adkins, I'm not gaining so at least I feel safe if nothing else. I think I am going to take the plunge on Monday as today I'm am PMSing big time and ate some gelato last night. And so course I don't have any of those choco perfect bars left. I actually lost weight while eating those. They are so yummy only 195calories and 2 net carbs. I'm going to order more but unfortunately by the time they get here TOM will probably be here and gone lol. I can't wait until those are a distant memory!!! I'm going to do 500/1500 and probably do bars instead of shakes on DD as those shakes always make me sick. At least for induction and maybe longer as I want to keep DD as simple as possible. Well here's hoping I don't do too much damage before Monday! I can't wait to join all you JUDDDs!!!
Old 03-22-2012, 01:27 PM   #16
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Yam-Yam
Stats: 230/191/165 @5'9"tall and 60 yrs. alive
WOE: Dukan 8/1/11 and now JUDDD
Start Date: 8/1/11 RE-start 1/1/14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffabuff View Post
Thanks Pat I'm glad to hear from you. I must admit I'm kind of scared to start a new WOE. Even though I'm stalled on Adkins, I'm not gaining so at least I feel safe if nothing else. I think I am going to take the plunge on Monday as today I'm am PMSing big time and ate some gelato last night. And so course I don't have any of those choco perfect bars left. I actually lost weight while eating those. They are so yummy only 195calories and 2 net carbs. I'm going to order more but unfortunately by the time they get here TOM will probably be here and gone lol. I can't wait until those are a distant memory!!! I'm going to do 500/1500 and probably do bars instead of shakes on DD as those shakes always make me sick. At least for induction and maybe longer as I want to keep DD as simple as possible. Well here's hoping I don't do too much damage before Monday! I can't wait to join all you JUDDDs!!!

Glad you are here! Remember that you don't have to do shakes or bars on DDs. You can eat real food. There are lots of foods that will fill you up and keep your calories down. Of course, small amounts of lean protein throughout the day will keep your appetite at bay. Two that work the best for me are hard boiled eggs and/or fat free/plain Greek yogurt. Drink lots of water and other non calorie liquids on DDs and you will do great!!
Yam-Yam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 09:06 PM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Those are great ideas, thanks yam yam!
Old 03-22-2012, 09:23 PM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: oropendola
Stats: 221.4/186.6/160
WOE: Belly Fat Cure -> JUDDD -> JUDDD + DrK
Start Date: January 2, 2012 -> March 8 -> July 6
to JUDDD BUDs
oropendola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 10:53 PM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MargeGunderson
Stats: 178/130/120
WOE: LC; LG, no wheat, VVLS(ugar)
Start Date: Feb. 1, 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by MintQ8 View Post
Leo, who is probably the most successful JUDDDer (losing over 100lbs) has had to eat very low cals on both UD & (I think) DD.
So the one who had to work the hardest for it is among the most successful? Gee, I wonder if there's a connection there somewhere?

Congrats to you all for your progress, and let's use all of each others' success stories as fuel to refill our own tanks!

(still want to know how many calories these little guys are burning!
MargeGunderson is offline   Reply With Quote