Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2012, 11:23 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: OhioGuy
Stats: 6'2'' 370 atkins to 355 then JUDDD
WOE: Good bye LC, Hello Juddd
Start Date: 3/5/2012 atkins intro JUDDD 3/29/12
newb and excited!

i come from the lc forum! ive been reading about this for the last 4 or 5 hours straight after stumbling on a juddd thread last week and think this is going to be perfect. i might move right into this after atkins induction. thinking about doing 4 to 6 weeks of that and then moving to this using the low carb slimfast drinks for dd's and then trying like heck to keep carbs down the ud's.
i like the idea of the slimfast drinks on down days so you dont have to worry about screwing up and i think it would be easy to just know exactly what your dd is going to consist of.
i always thought something like this would make you gain since you are turning on starvation and then eating a lot more.
obviously it works though =)
the ONLY thing im going to have a hard time with is
hanging with friends on the weekends. its more spontaneous
and going to be hard.
i still need to read/learn about drinking. im sure on dd that is dumb but on ud's??
anyone do this low carb or vlc style?
any input about how to handle weekends would be great
and if they drink.
thanks!
OhioGuy is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-18-2012, 11:36 PM   #2
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: No Diet = No Stress! Just eating healthy!
and here is a thread with LOTS of info! Doing shakes on DD is suggested but most of us haven't done this. We have found that eating real food actually helps those DDs to go much better, but if you can do it, go for it! It's really what is going to work for you.

And as far as the weekends with your friends, think of it this way. The rotation is 7 days so some weeks you have 4 UDs and 3 DDs and then the next week you have 3 UDs and 4 DDs. This means that either Friday or Saturday will always be an UD and that is the day to enjoy our food and drink, if you want. The DD that follows is to help JUDDD works it's magic and that is what we are all looking for!

Hope to see you posting about your success very soon!

Want To Know LOTS About JUDDD?

A man asked Gautama Buddha, "I want happiness." Buddha said, "First remove "I," that's Ego, then remove "want," that's Desire. See now you are left with only "Happiness.”
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 12:36 AM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: MintQ8
Stats: 267.6/257/140
WOE: JUDDD/Paul McKenna
Start Date: 9 Nov 2014
There's also some threads about doing this woe with Low Carb.

Good luck!
MintQ8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 04:12 AM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
Jamie!

We are not actually turning on starvation mode with JUDDD. We are flirting with it. DD calories are designed to invoke the early stage called caloric stress response. Stress response begins when we have burned off the previous meal's calories and then don't eat a lot at the next meal. It tunes up the metabolism, targets fat-burning, and generally prepares our bodies to go out and hunt a saber toothed tiger for nosh.

For the average metabolism, it takes about 40 hours for stress response to escalate into starvation mode (slowed metabolism, hanging onto fat, burning muscle, etc). By eating more on UD, we turn off the escalation.

The calculated DD/UD calories on Dr J's website are aimed at what it takes to move the average metabolism into and out of stress response. Because some people have very high or very low metabolisms, you will have seen some people can fast on DD and some people have to eat more than the recommended DD cals. Ditto UD - for some people the calculations are too high, for some too low, and for many just right. (Goldilocks, anyone?)

You can eat LC or VLC or 100%carbs or vegan or whatever on JUDDD. Just calculate and watch those calories.

Alcohol is an interesting question. It tends to be high calorie. If you can figure the calories in a drink, plan the evening, and stick to the planned calories, then you can drink on JUDDD. Chuckle, I do. But it takes planning and the ability to say, 'enough'.
STILL below goal 2/15/14

I did not "lose" weight. I evicted it. It is gone and it ain't coming back!

JUDDD cares about calories. JUDDD does not care what you eat. Your body probably does.
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 04:14 AM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: sterlinggirl
Stats: 225/166/165 48 5'9.. 11-18-14 #176.
WOE: JUDDD FOR LIFE!
Start Date: Jan 2012. Name Kimberly
best of luck to ya girl~
sterlinggirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 07:13 AM   #6
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: AsmallerME
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 8/18/14
Ohio - I like your plan about starting with atkins induction for a month or so and then moving into JUDDD. That's what I did and I think it really helped me. First, atkins induction gets you into a nice, deep state of ketosis. It turns off our appetite and helps us drop water weight plus some nice fat loss. I lost 20 pounds pretty fast with Atkins. After the initial month, I seemed to stall on Atkins (which is fairly normal). After a few weeks of bouncing up and down the same 3 pounds, I switched to JUDDD.

For me, I kept eating the same things I did on Atkins, but I counted the calories. I eat 400-500 on my down days, and 2000-2200 on my up days. All low carb goodness. For example, yesterday, I had coffee w/ cream and a LC quiche on my DD. I hit right around 500 calories doing that. Today, since it's an up day, I'm having quiche, coffee w/ cream, salad with chicken salad, almonds, turkey w/ cheese and mayo, etc. All my favorite stuff. On Saturday, which was another up day, I had a mexican chicken salad for lunch and a huge steak for dinner. The best part of this is that I'm still in ketosis, my appetite is still next to gone, and I'm down 12 pounds in less than 1 month on JUDDD!!

Good luck and let any of us know if you have questions!
Old 03-19-2012, 07:16 AM   #7
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: AsmallerME
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 8/18/14
Oh, I meant to address two other things.

First, you can drink but it's best to avoid it during the 2-week induction phase of atkins. After that, you can add in alcohol but count the carbs. With JUDDD, you can drink but you need to count the calories.

Second, every other day you can eat with your friends when you start JUDDD. On your down days, you can save all your calories for when you go out at night if that works best and stick to low cal stuff. Or you can just not eat when you go out. Use the good "Oh, I just ate." trick or be honest with your friends and tell them you're on a diet and trying to lose weight. Either way.

If some of the JUDDD stuff sounds hard to fit in with your lifestyle, then don't worry about it now. Try regular LC. It may be all you need to lose all the way to goal.
AsmallerME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 07:31 AM   #8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: shirlc
Stats: 144/134/130-5'5"
WOE: Low/Mod Carb, JUDDD (JUDDD, 10/25/11 at 141.5)
Start Date: March, 2006
and best of luck to you, Ohio Guy!!!
shirlc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 10:16 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

thanks thanks thanks everyone.
yeah, the good thing about atkins is breaking the old habits and cutting the carb craving.

i know that i will have 2 days (every other week) for up days but things a little more spontaneous around here. SPECIALLY now that summer is coming.
Its more like (incoming text): the fire is on and beer is cold, get over here!
ill figure it out i guess. i just wanted to stay as close as possible.
i didnt drink on my first 2 weeks of induction BUT st pattys day came RIGHT after.
the one GOOD thing that happened is i didnt go for 3am pizza with everyone else.
huge score after drinking lol

and here i thought starvation mode started MUCH faster.
even as fast as skipping breakfast as they say. body freaks out blah blah.
anyway, it obvious 99% of doctors and medical people have no REAL idea whats going on inside lol.

so not many have used the shakes huh?
anyone? i really am liking the idea of low carb slimfast skakes.
i can do 3 or 4 a day and be around 12/16 carbs on my DD. i think that makes great sense, but time will tell.

thanks again everyone!!
Old 03-19-2012, 10:20 AM   #10
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: sophiethecat
Stats: 170+/135-138/145 5'6 39y pcos/IR/metformin
WOE: WL=LC then JUDDD/IF; Maintenance=IF/75%+ "healthy"
Start Date: LC 6/11; JUDDD 10/11; Maintenance 11/11
Ohio!

If you think you'd do well with the shakes, go ahead and try them. A few here did their induction with shakes as a big part of it, and liked it.

Now that I'm well into JUDDDg, I sometimes use a protein shake as a meal on a DD, where before when I just started, I don't think I could have managed that well. But everyone is different. Try and see how you do.
sophiethecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 10:28 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

oh, i have one question about down days.
i did my calculations and im to be around 700.

is lower better? im sure its different for everyone but in general?
what if i didnt eat at all and did an actual fast, should results be better??

on atkins i have ZERO appetite but the kicker is when i do finally eat i eat a lot
like, i had NO idea i was this hungry lol. but almost have to force yourself to eat.
the last 2 days i have had only one meal and no desire to eat what so ever.
Old 03-19-2012, 10:32 AM   #12
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Yam-Yam
Stats: 230/191/165 @5'9"tall and 60 yrs. alive
WOE: Dukan 8/1/11 and now JUDDD
Start Date: 8/1/11 RE-start 1/1/14
Yes, several have used the shakes and it really worked for them.

The reason I didn't (and don't) most of the time is that an hour later I'm hungry. I have read that our bodies don't react the same to liquid calories as they do to solid food. Solid food triggers the satiation response and tells your brain you have eaten. Liquid calories bypass that trigger as they digest more quickly. So, it's like your brain might not "get the memo" that you have eaten enough.

However, as I said, numbers of people do it on their DDs and have great success because they have the relief of not cooking or counting calories.

Try it! If it works for you then you have a plan and I say go for it!

"Weight loss isn't about winning a race; it's about crossing the finish line at your own pace." -Dianna Rodriguiz

current numbers: 1975/395
goal numbers: 1700/350 (just a reminder)
Yam-Yam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 10:49 AM   #13
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
Hey, OhioGuy!!! Great to see you over here. Welcome! I hoped you'd join us here.

We have folks doing JUDDD but following all sorts of diet plans, so if Atkins or another very low carb diet is your choice, you can start there for sure.

The JUDDD part is completely simple. Just respect your Up Day calorie number and hold true to your Down Day calorie number. The results will pretty much be fantastic.

As to the spontaneous times of eating and drinking with friends on weekends, those can be managed, but sometimes present some problems. From this standpoint: What foods are you going to be eating? So much of the foods that groups of friends tend to eat as they gather for fun on the weekends tends to be high carb foods, rather than the low carb foods called for on your plan, so you'll need to have a plan in mind to deal with this fact. And the same goes for drinking.

And..... if your are holding to low carb most of the time, that initial loss of weight which was just water weight loss (not fat) will return just as fast as it left if you eat some carbs again, and that will show up on the scale as weight gain (even though it's just water weight and not fat) so that makes some folks panic and think JUDDD isn't working, when the truth is that their low carb diet plan is being broken! So be very sure you know how you want to proceed. LOL Most people who do very low carb don't do much weekend partying and drinking without paying the piper for it.

If you are going to do that kind of eating/drinking, make sure you know the calorie counts on those choices so that you can keep it figured into your calorie totals.

Good luck on JUDDD. Most of the people who do it are thrilled with the fact that they get nice weight loss at the same time they get to eat very, very well every other day. Woo Hoo!

I'm not a low carber at all, as I enjoy a lot more of the medium and higher carb foods, but JUDDD works fabulously for me! Hope you like it too!

Last edited by SoHappy; 03-19-2012 at 10:50 AM..
SoHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 11:02 AM   #14
Senior LCF Member

thanks. it will be interesting to see how my low carb down days work with my higher carb up days. im not going to go crazy with carbs, but i am going to have things that arent allowed on the other side lol. cottage cheese for one! more fruit and such.
but like a lot of others who are sugar addicts, its a bit scary.

but i seriously think i could fast all day on my down days if that will help burn on my up days. but i dont want to do that if its going to be counter productive.

also im thinking juddd might allow me to go ahead with diet crack (coke) and not stall me lol
Old 03-19-2012, 11:05 AM   #15
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: adillenal
I used the shakes and liked doing it that way since I did not have to worry about food and calories. I used the Atkins shakes at 160 calories and I made some at home using whey protein mix at 130 calories a scoop. Worked for me along with some broth at 5 calories a mug and lots of fluids.
adillenal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 11:14 AM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: DD80
Stats: 188/165.0/145 5'10"
WOE: Organic GrassFed Gluten-Free 5/13 Dairy Free 2/14
Start Date: 1/10/12 Medi, 2/9/12 First UD, 1/1/13 New Plan
I just wanted to you to our wonderful little community! I it here!
DD80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 11:42 AM   #17
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioGuy View Post
thanks. it will be interesting to see how my low carb down days work with my higher carb up days. im not going to go crazy with carbs, but i am going to have things that arent allowed on the other side lol. cottage cheese for one! more fruit and such.
but like a lot of others who are sugar addicts, its a bit scary.

but i seriously think i could fast all day on my down days if that will help burn on my up days. but i dont want to do that if its going to be counter productive.

also im thinking juddd might allow me to go ahead with diet crack (coke) and not stall me lol
Totally fasting on DDs will HELP if you can do it. Dr. J goes into this in his book. He said studies prove that alternate day total fasts really kick the SIRT1 gene into gear and speed up weight loss and all the other health benefits.

He said the reason he recommended 500 calorie DDs is that most people would not be able to do a total fast for a day and would therefore give up. Thus the calorie calculator w/ different percentages for doable WLM.

I occasionally have done all day fasting. Probably only 3 times because it's very hard for me to fall asleep at night when I'm truly hungry.

But I have to report that my biggest and most lasting scale drops have been after a day of totally fasting or "almost" fasting, like 200 calories.
Old 03-19-2012, 11:45 AM   #18

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/150/150
WOE: Whatever plan keeps me around 150 lbs!
Quote:
oh, i have one question about down days.
i did my calculations and im to be around 700.

is lower better? im sure its different for everyone but in general?
what if i didnt eat at all and did an actual fast, should results be better??

on atkins i have ZERO appetite but the kicker is when i do finally eat i eat a lot
like, i had NO idea i was this hungry lol. but almost have to force yourself to eat.
the last 2 days i have had only one meal and no desire to eat what so ever.
My DH did the initial two weeks at 500 calorie down days and now sticks to about 750 calorie down days. If you're able to completely fast, feel free to do so. It's a YMMV thing. I've done a couple of complete fasts with no problems. Some have done them and didn't notice any difference between 0 calorie/500 calorie down days.

Many of us experience the same thing you mention. Once we start eating, it's hard to stop. So a lot of us put off eating until later in the day on a DD, just so we don't "wake the beast."

Whatever method you choose, I have faith you'll do great!

My brother and his family live in Xenia. Woohoo for Ohio!

JUDDD got me where I want to be!
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 11:51 AM   #19
Senior LCF Member

thanks you two. that actually helps me a lot. (you all have!) i also read the longer you can keep the fast the better. so if i skip breakfast on my up day then that is even better and i wont "wake the beast" lol.

i havent eaten in 22 hours already today just because. i do this often during the work week. i ate yesterday at 4pm and havent since. i never eat breakfast, i never have. and i work from home. i wake up make some tea, jump into work and before i know it, its 4pm and getting really hungry finally. lol
product of low carbing i guess.
Old 03-19-2012, 12:03 PM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JanetTN
Stats: too much/getting there/just right!
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Jan 2012
I do a breakfast and lunch fast and just stay within my calorie limits for dinner. Maybe on the DD's that you go out with buddies you can save your calories that day and have a few low calorie beers.
JanetTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 12:09 PM   #21
Senior LCF Member

anyone else think there needs to be a Like button on here lol
or am i just sucked into FB to much haha
Old 03-19-2012, 12:11 PM   #22
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: No Diet = No Stress! Just eating healthy!
Quote:
TOTALLY AGREE! ^^^^^
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 12:13 PM   #23
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: sophiethecat
Stats: 170+/135-138/145 5'6 39y pcos/IR/metformin
WOE: WL=LC then JUDDD/IF; Maintenance=IF/75%+ "healthy"
Start Date: LC 6/11; JUDDD 10/11; Maintenance 11/11
Quote:
I've often wished for a "like" button here!
sophiethecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 12:17 PM   #24
Blabbermouth!!!

Yes, I think the optimum for alternate day fasting is 36 hours. That seems to be the magic number. It starts with your last food on the UD and then goes all night, all day, all night until your first food on your next UD.

Consecutive days of fasting, like several in a row, do not seem to be beneficial. Apparently we run the risk of slowing down metabolism by doing that.

DDs stimulate sirtuin enzymes (which, when built up after several weeks of alternating DDs will prevent extra calories from being stored as fat and will also encourage the burning of existing fat). UDs are important because they provide nourishment so DDs continue to be enjoyable and tolerable. The UD calories also boost metabolism, making it much more likely that you will burn fat on DDs.

BTW: Any extreme calorie restriction, whether it's 500 calories or even 45% of UD limits would be considered to be "fasting" by Dr. J.
Old 03-19-2012, 12:36 PM   #25
Senior LCF Member

thats sounds good. i can easly fast until late afternoon early evening on my under days (if i dont go without period. just lots and lots of tea!
maybe i could do a 4pm and 7pm slimfast drink which would put me around 360 for a day and get through the night. working at home - i work CRAZY hours. i often stay up until 4am and up at 11am. but since i have cut out carbs (sugar) i have been sleeping a bit better and getting tired a bit earlier (which is a good thing)

anyone have any comments about diet soda on juddd? i havent read anything about it while reading the threads.
Old 03-19-2012, 12:40 PM   #26
Senior LCF Member

it actually makes me laugh a little when my stomach rumbles.
as a complete sugar junkie my sense of hunger was driven by my brain and
im serious when i say i might once a year actually feel hungry hungry where my stomach "growls".
i actually am trying to re-associate this.
i think if most people only at when their stomach was TRULY hungry, it would fix a lot
but junk food works on the brains hunger rather than real hunger (imo)
Old 03-19-2012, 12:41 PM   #27
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Eieio
Stats: 155/140/130 (130)
WOE: Atkin, JUDDD
Start Date: Dec-10
Welcome!
I was doing low carb for a year, being very faithfull. I lost ten pounds.
Last Dec I switched to jud.
I must say I never, ever, not once, missed snacks, and the three meals a day on lc. Doing
Eating low carb I ate great, but was always was ready for next food intake.

Big example how we are so different. interesting.
I never had the good feeling-head rush and appetite suppression on lc. Like i have finally reached practicing JUDDD.
Weird wonder what I did wrong! Ha. Teasing.
I do a muscle milk r Atkins drink for variety I guess. But not often.
Good luck
Ei
Eieio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 12:45 PM   #28

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/137/126 5'3" Age 67
WOE: JUDDD restart 8/25/2014
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
Ohio Guy, nice to see some men dipping their toes in here.

You seem to me totally prepared for JUDDD and if you can fast as well as you plan should do a great job of losing. It is nice to know that you can have something to eat though.

And on those wonderful UDs eat! Eat up to that number. Enjoy the ride.
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 12:50 PM   #29
Senior LCF Member

thanks thanks!!
im ready but im going to put atkins introduction for a couple more weeks.
to get that quick boost and make sure the bad habits are put away (as much as possible) and ready to move to new food. i miss cottage cheese and berries to much! as soon as im tired of eating meet and cheese, im 100% ready for this woe. right up my alley!
Old 03-19-2012, 12:51 PM   #30
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: sterlinggirl
Stats: 225/166/165 48 5'9.. 11-18-14 #176.
WOE: JUDDD FOR LIFE!
Start Date: Jan 2012. Name Kimberly
Quote:
oh heck ya! ive always thought we needed a "like " button!
sterlinggirl is offline   Reply With Quote