Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2012, 08:16 AM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Lemming
Thinking about trying JUDDD...

Or actually, I think I've kind of started it...in a small way...

Background: I'm a 48-year-old woman. I did low carb back in 2000, and lost 20 pounds. I quit sugar at that time, and managed to stay off it until 2011. In 2010, I was diagnosed hypothyroid, and found out last summer that Splenda (which I pretty much lived on for the past 10 years) impairs thyroid function, which I certainly don't need! When I quit the Splenda, though, I ended up back on sugar. I now find myself 10 pounds over where I want to be (and gaining), and with only a few pairs of pants in my closet that fit. I've tried several times to restart a diet, but I can't make it past the first couple days. To complicate matters, I'm a competitive speedskater and so low carb no longer really works for me with my workouts. I do have a nutrition plan from a sports nutritionist, but just can't get myself to stay on it (although, interestingly enough, it does have significant calorie/carb differences between workout days and rest days, so I may be able to coordinate it with a JUDDD approach). Apparently, I'm someone who needs frequent reinforcement--and my favorite reinforcement is food!

Last week I decided to see if I could at least control my eating every other day...food reinforcement would then always be just "a day away." And then I remembered that there was a diet/WOE on LCF (which I still hang out at, mostly at the Playground)...so I came here.

I've input my stats into the JUDDD calculator (at the 45% weightloss/maintenance level, since I don't have much to lose), and it came up with approximately 900 cal DD and 2300 UD. I'm working my way down to the 900...right now I get really hungry on 1800 cal a day! It's my "off-season" this month, though, so I don't have any hard workouts, so it would be a good time to get some of the weight off--so I'll really try to get to the 900.

Questions:
Do any of you workout hard on JUDDD? I assume it's best to do hard workouts on UD? Do you find the calculated calorie amounts to be accurate? Anything else I'd find helpful?

Thanks, and I'm looking forward to fitting into my pants again!

Last edited by Lemming; 03-18-2012 at 08:20 AM..
Lemming is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-18-2012, 08:23 AM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: MintQ8
Stats: 264.6 (restart 260.2)/255/140
WOE: JUDDDD
Start Date: 6 May 2014
I'm not exercising at the moment - but there is someone here who is training for a marathon - not sure what they do. Hope someone who can answer your question swings by!!

Good luck!
MintQ8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 08:24 AM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LightlyStarched
Can I get more information on the Splenda/thyroid thing? Is this a study you've found?
LightlyStarched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 08:29 AM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Jbinme
WOE: JUDDD
I love JUDDD! Hope you will too!
I workout every day. I've been doing the P90X program and I do it UDs and DDs. The numbers I got from the calculator have worked for me. Down 16lbs in less than 2 months but that's with 20%.
Glad you are here!!
Jbinme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 08:59 AM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Lemming
Lightly, it's not from a study, just info from a Dr. (holistic-medicine-type) that I went to once for thyroid advice. I did google splenda/thyroid after talking to the doc, and found many citations about Splenda breaking down into chlorine when metabolized, and that the thyroid will take in chlorine in preference to iodine, which then makes the thyroid function improperly (if I'm remembering right!). I have no idea whether my splenda intake (and I used a LOT!) for 10 years had anything to do with my becoming hypo, but I figure that my thyroid probably doesn't need any more issues than it already has..

Thanks for the welcomes!
Lemming is offline   Reply With Quote