Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2012, 10:47 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Dredaye9
Stats: 171/156/125
WOE: LC
Start Date: August2014
I am planning on having a whole cucumber ...

It's 11 g carbs and 4 g fiber . Any lcers know if this will stall me? Good idea or not ?
Dredaye9 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-17-2012, 11:44 PM   #2
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Yam-Yam
Stats: 230/191/165 @5'9"tall and 60 yrs. alive
WOE: Dukan 8/1/11 and now JUDDD
Start Date: 8/1/11 RE-start 1/1/14
No, a cucumber won't stall you. The tissues in your body may absorb some of the water for a little while until all the nutrients can be extracted and used to nourish your body, muscles, organs (especially the skin and it will start to glow!) But it will quickly release any extra fluid and wash out some burned fat stores through your kidneys with it.

Please don't be obsessed with the scale during the first 2 to 3 weeks, OK? Dr. Johnson says studies are proving it takes that long for the SIRT1 gene and the fat burning/blocking protein (some say enzyme) to build up sufficiently.

That's the purpose of Intermittent Fasting and DDs on JUDD. To activate that gene and allow it to produce and build up the magic protein/enzyme.

However, during these first days and weeks your body WILL be burning fat. Water is not fat and it is very normal for our bodies to take water in for various reasons (like muscle building during exercise as muscles are 70% water). Or when we eat nutrient dense vegetables that have a high water content. And then your body will quickly let go of that water and glycogen when it does not need it any more.

Water is not fat! Make that your mantra. Have you read the article "Why the Scale Lies?" There is a thread somewhere on here with links to it or you can just search the web as there are many articles about this.

One last thing. I was going to suggest that if you are fearful of healthy carbs like non-starchy vegetables, please consider eating green ones and eating the ones that have diuretic effects. Then you won't have to worry about the scale going up.

I know asparagus is one and alfalfa sprouts are another. I'm sure there are many more and you can google it or maybe I will and then post a link for you.

IMO the only thing that would "stall' or seem like a stall to a LCer would be to jump right in and just go carb crazy. And, I'm talking lots of simple carbs like white bread, donuts, potato chips, etc.

I've been adding carbs in slowly. The first few weeks every time I experimented and went way overboard, I found my craving for carbs increasing. So, I would pull back for a few days and the cravings would go away. I also saw a jump on the scale. But never from eating green, non-starchy vegetables like cabbabe or cucumbers or green peppers or celery.

"Weight loss isn't about winning a race; it's about crossing the finish line at your own pace." -Dianna Rodriguiz

current numbers: 1975/395
goal numbers: 1700/350 (just a reminder)
Yam-Yam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 11:52 PM   #3
Blabbermouth!!!

Oh, one more thing. I am one who saw inches just melting off in the first couple of weeks. Though the scale numbers were trending down very slowly. The first 2 weeks the daily bounces were wild.

After my first DD, the next morning my scale was down -4.4 pounds. I thought, "Wow! this is great!"

Then the morning after the next day which was my first UD the scale went up +4.2 and I thought, "I knew this was too good to be true!!"

But I came to these boards and read and asked questions and I ordered the book and I read it and eventually the up and down day scale bounces started to get smaller. But always on my weight chart (I use regular old graph paper and have been charting my daily weight since August 1st. It's so great) the trend is DOWN.

Still, I was taking my measurements and in only a few weeks I went from a size 14 to a size 12 jeans. (In August I was wearing size 18 jeans).

JUDD is a fat burning, muscle maintaining WOE. This is a good thing.
Old 03-17-2012, 11:59 PM   #4
Blabbermouth!!!

If you Google "Vegetables that have diuretic properties" or "Vegetables that are natural diuretics" you will find so many articles!

Good news: Cucumbers are on the list!!
Old 03-18-2012, 12:05 AM   #5
Blabbermouth!!!

List of Natural Diuretics - Foods
Most of the vegetables and fruits mentioned below are an integral part of the diet and so one does not have to necessarily modify his diet substantially, in order to include these foods. Following is the diuretics foods list.

Cucumber
Tomatoes
Carrots
Artichoke
Lettuce
Cabbage
Oranges
Watermelon
Brussels Sprouts
Asparagus
Beets
Oats
Watercress

List of Natural Diuretics - Drinks
When it comes to liquids included in the list of natural diuretics, it would be foolish to not to mention water. However, drinking water is definitely not the solution to cure water edema. In such cases, herbal teas that increase production of urine are recommended. On the whole, following are the popular beverages that remove excess water from the body

Green tea
Coffee

List of Natural Diuretics - Herbs
In addition to vegetables and fruits, certain herbs have shown diuretic properties. One of the best ways to reap benefits of herbs that display diuretic effect is to take them in the form of tea. Following are the herbs that show diuresis:

Dandelion Leaf
Celery Seed
Juniper Berries
Goldenrod
Parsley
Golden seal
Nettle
Fennel

By Nicks J
Last Updated: 10/5/2011
Old 03-18-2012, 12:31 AM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Truffles
Stats: 142/125/128 JUDDD
WOE: LC&JUDDD
Start Date: 3/11 LC - 1/12 LC/JUDDD
If you are worried at all you can peel, or half peel the cucumber and that will lower the carb content some. But it won't stall you!
Truffles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 05:21 AM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: sterlinggirl
Stats: 225/166/165 48 5'9.. 11-18-14 #176.
WOE: JUDDD FOR LIFE!
Start Date: Jan 2012. Name Kimberly
I love the fact that Yam YAm you are just soo full of information.. and every where i look you give the advise that i will need at some point...As to Dredaye9.. hang in there kiddo.. ask what ever you need to help you thru the start of this WOE.. any and all questions are helpfull not only to you.. but to others who read behind this thread .. we all learn as we all journey on this WOE!
sterlinggirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 11:53 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Dredaye9
Stats: 171/156/125
WOE: LC
Start Date: August2014
Thanks for all the great advise yam yam and everyone .
Dredaye9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 01:18 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: KathyL
Stats: 205/118-122/125 5'4" Age 53
WOE: low glycemic index in 2011 JUDDD in 2012
Start Date: January 2011
Thank you for that info Yam-Yam. I cut and paste it into my weight loss spread sheet as I'm always looking for something to help with water during or after a carb heavy day.
KathyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 04:09 PM   #10
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/137/126 5'3" Age 67
WOE: JUDDD restart 8/25/2014
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
If I even tried to eat a whole cucumber I would lose weight. Either running away from the vile thing or, if force fed it, throwing it back up again....
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 08:16 PM   #11
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: No Diet = No Stress! Just eating healthy!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yam-Yam View Post
List of Natural Diuretics - Foods
Most of the vegetables and fruits mentioned below are an integral part of the diet and so one does not have to necessarily modify his diet substantially, in order to include these foods. Following is the diuretics foods list.

Cucumber
Tomatoes
Carrots
Artichoke
Lettuce
Cabbage
Oranges
Watermelon
Brussels Sprouts
Asparagus
Beets
Oats
Watercress

List of Natural Diuretics - Drinks
When it comes to liquids included in the list of natural diuretics, it would be foolish to not to mention water. However, drinking water is definitely not the solution to cure water edema. In such cases, herbal teas that increase production of urine are recommended. On the whole, following are the popular beverages that remove excess water from the body

Green tea
Coffee

List of Natural Diuretics - Herbs
In addition to vegetables and fruits, certain herbs have shown diuretic properties. One of the best ways to reap benefits of herbs that display diuretic effect is to take them in the form of tea. Following are the herbs that show diuresis:

Dandelion Leaf
Celery Seed
Juniper Berries
Goldenrod
Parsley
Golden seal
Nettle
Fennel

By Nicks J
Last Updated: 10/5/2011
GREAT list, Yam!! Thanks so much!

And to the OP....eat the cucumber!