Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2012, 05:36 PM   #31
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: No Diet = No Stress! Just eating healthy!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yam-Yam View Post
yep. that be me. You just made me feel like my posts matter!
Thread jump: How could you EVEN imagine that your posts don't matter?!! Are you ! You are one of the wisest JUDDD BUDDDs I know!
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-22-2012, 05:38 PM   #32
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/137/126 5'3" Age 67
WOE: JUDDD restart 8/25/2014
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
Ditto, dear, dear friend.
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 05:43 PM   #33
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: sophiethecat
Stats: 170+/135-138/145 5'6 39y pcos/IR/metformin
WOE: WL=LC then JUDDD/IF; Maintenance=IF/75%+ "healthy"
Start Date: LC 6/11; JUDDD 10/11; Maintenance 11/11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kissa View Post
Ditto, dear, dear friend.
Your posts are sunshine, Yam! So are you! Love the bright enthusiasm you bring to the forum, and all the great info!
sophiethecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 06:06 PM   #34
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sazzie
Stats: HW164/maintaining 135-139
Yam-Yam!

O for goodness sakes, your posts are always so upbeat and full of good information!

Please don't doubt yourself.......cause, we don't!
sazzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 12:02 PM   #35

Gallery: Pami
WOE: LC JUDDD
Adding & bumping

Adding & bumping:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotsomeold View Post
O-tay, let's see if I can put this together in a cohesive way that sort of makes sense .

Most bodies periodically and cyclically reach a state that is sometimes called 'caloric stress response'. This is the point where some metabolically significant amount of free energy (glucose in the blood, glycogen in the liver) has been depleted and the body needs more energy. This happens almost every night and, depending on each individual's metabolism, when a meal is late or skipped.

In most bodies the initial reaction to caloric stress response goes back to our good old caveman ancestors: I'm hungry, I need to go hunt me a tasty mammoth or forage some munchy leaves/grains ... I need more free energy before I -ing starve! But my internal energy levels are low. I don't have enough free energy to go get more free energy! What to do? What to do?
What most bodies do is activate those blessed sirtuin proteins/enzymes (SEs).

SEs tell the body to create some new free energy by burning fat preferentially – keep your hands those muscles! We need them for the hunt! SEs give the body a little punch of health to make hunting and/or gathering food – and surviving the hunger - easier to do. SE activation begins the magic.

But it is only the beginning.

Once activated SEs flood the bloodstream and burn up as the body responds to them. But SE utilization involves a critical time table. If the body does not ingest enough food to produce more free energy within, roughly, 40 hours then caloric stress response becomes overwhelming and the body passes into what we call 'starvation mode'. Metabolism slows down, the body stops burning fat preferentially and begins cannibalizing both muscle and fat, and other nasty things we want no part of begin to happen.
If we eat enough calories within that – on average - 40 hour window then caloric stress response stops. SE production stops.

But some of those SEs are still floating around in our blood, burning up gradually. And – what a surprise - if caloric stress response begins again SE activation starts over.

This is a perfectly normal cycle. This is what our bodies are designed to do.
When JUDDDing we reactivate SE production every DD. And we keep it going for the whole DD. Gradually the amount of SE in our blood builds up and builds up until we reach a stage of SE saturation. And all that SE sloshing around in our blood continues to tell our bodies to get healthy so we can wrassle mammoths and to burn fat so we have plenty of energy to do so.

Even when we eat on UD, our bodies continue to respond to the SEs.

Some people’s bodies either respond to or accumulate SE quickly. Even in the first week of JUDDDing they have enough SE so they can ‘cheat’ and fat continues to burn. Other people respond to or accumulate SE slowly so cheating can take them right out of caloric stress response.

High and low metabolisms play into this too. Some people slide right through caloric stress response and into starvation mode in way under 40 hours. Others remain in caloric stress response way more than 40 hours.

This is why I say JUDDD is not a low calorie woe. This is why some people can eat way over their calculated UD calories and still lose weight (and some people can't).

In JUDDD we are trying to reach and maintain SE saturation. We are trying to tell our bodies to always burn fat preferentially. We are trying to build health up and up and up while losing weight.

The cool thing is, once staturated, it takes on average 10 to 14 days for all the SEs to be depleted. This allows us to take vacations and deal with life happening from time to time without regaining as much weight as we probably would have.

Does that help?

Stay tuned. I am working on Part Two. The plot definitely thickens.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotsomeold View Post
All you LCers and former LCers out there, a show of hands, please.

How many of you recognized it when I said SE causes the body to burn fat preferentially, preserve muscle, and improve health? How many of you wondered, "She's talking about ketosis, isn't she?"

Well, I am and I am't.

Dr A invented the word 'ketosis' as all of the above happening as the result of eating LC. He wanted to differentiate LC from various very bad illness that involve burning fat, I think. He was right to do so. Heaven knows the old 'ketosis = ketoacidosis' myth is still alive and well forty years later.

Dr A died the same year Dr J published. This makes me very sad for a variety of reasons. I suspect those two could have synergized something wonderful. I suspect Dr A would have done a lot of research then shouted, SE explains ketosis!

I think this because both WOEs have the same results. Results that include weight loss, asthma and allergies improvement, blood glucose stabilization, cholesterol improvement, energy expansion, euphoria, and on and on and on.

I think the body recognizes and responds to LC as caloric stress response. I cannot find any formal tests (yet) but I suspect an LCer who is in ketosis has very high levels of SE. I KNOW many carb-eating JUDDD BUDDDs use ketostix and find they test positive for ketones on DD.

I think LC and JUDDD are two paths that lead to the same goal.

I can't say JUDDD leads to ketosis. It does ... but JUDDD does not require we eat LC, and Dr A's definition requires eating LC so I can't say it. (Hint: if you run internet searches on 'ketosis' you will find the definition is morphing to include Fasting, IF, and intermittent caloric restriction.)

As our knowledge of metabolism and body hydration and how body weight really works increases, I suspect a lot of really interesting new connections are going to appear. I think other WOEs are going to meld into the picture more and more.

I am excited, we live in very interesting times!
Pami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 12:13 PM   #36
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Hatewashingup
Stats: 135/114/108
WOE: Juddd/Vegetable lover!
Start Date: January 2012
Saw this in a signature somewhere and it really stuck with me,
'If hunger is not the problem, then eating is not the solution'
Hatewashingup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 12:21 PM   #37

Gallery: Pami
Another bit of clarification:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pami View Post
JUDDD isn't really a diet, in my mind, at least. You choose a diet- choose lowcarb, lowfat, high protein, pescatarian, paleo, vegan, all raw, whatever.... That's your diet.

JUDDD is the schedule- just outlines when to eat, and how many calories before you stop. What you eat is entirely dependent upon the diet you choose.
Pami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 04:50 PM   #38
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Joedi
Stats: 180/131-135/133 5' 5.5" 40 y/o
WOE: Maintaining on Juddd
Start Date: Made Goal on 23/10/2011 - Stats updated daily
Ditch the negative self talk! if you wouldn't say something to a good friend, or a Juddd Buddd...don't say it to yourself!

hugs
Jo
x
Joedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 05:39 PM   #39
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: krow134
Stats: 207 starting weight in 2012
WOE: Atkins
I just posted one on another thread today.

Sterlinggirl has said in many posts

"Its a journey, not a race!"

I beleive in this. I try to remember this even when I am having troubles with mirror image or that TOM bloat or what ever has me down at that moment!
krow134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 03:09 PM   #40
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: calichris
Stats: 273.7/212/147 or size 8/10
WOE: 2000/1000 rotations, moderate carb
Start Date: 11/3/14; JUDDD 7/11/12
Just found this thread which was before my time (July 2012 start), but I love it, and would like to add the wisdom I've learned from this amazing group.

-“The Scale, she bounces.” On JUDDD expect and do not be afraid of bouncing scale numbers. The overall trend is downward. Some people prefer to weigh only on down days or once a week.

- Do not be afraid of your up day calories. Try the rotations as they come out on the calorie calculator. These calories work brilliantly for most people. Give it a month and see.

-Sometimes, even when you are doing perfect rotations, the scale does not move down. If this happens to you, hang in there. Often the scale moves down in periodic whooshes rather than steadily.

-Down days get easier, both in the short term and in the longer term (2-3 months in). They really do. You might even start to like them.

-JUDDD is one of the most forgiving plans when it comes to vacations and UUADs (up up and away super high calorie days). The scale usually comes back down within 2 or three rotations.

- Have an event coming up on a down day? Experiment with having that event be your meal of the day, eating sensibly at that meal, and fasting the rest of the time. You have a range of "weight loss mode" calories. It's ok to go a little higher than usual in that range if you need to once in a while.

Hope this helps someone else as much as it helped me!

Last edited by calichris; 10-14-2012 at 03:13 PM.. Reason: adding another thought
calichris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 03:25 PM   #41
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Joedi
Stats: 180/131-135/133 5' 5.5" 40 y/o
WOE: Maintaining on Juddd
Start Date: Made Goal on 23/10/2011 - Stats updated daily
Heres a couple I like:

Dieting (or DD's) can be hard...being fat can be hard...chose your hard!

and

Its not what you eat between christmas and boxing day....its what you eat between boxing day and christmas!

hugs
Jo
x
Joedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 03:08 AM   #42

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/137/126 5'3" Age 67
WOE: JUDDD restart 8/25/2014
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
God to see this thread bumped. Good to see you too Joedi.
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 10:48 AM   #43

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/???/140 5'4" 48 yrs
WOE: HDE/JUDDD/Lowish Carb
Thanks for bringing this lovely thread back up, Chris. It's before my time too, and I hadn't ever dug deep enough to find it. Really great stuff!
LoCarbGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 04:10 PM   #44
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: brehede
Stats: 283/264/140
Start Date: January 2012
Thanks from me too - I am struggling a little with DD fatigue - this thread has reminded me why I love JUDDD and why it is worth sticking with it!

I have to remind myself that even if it is hard at the moment it will go back to being easy (or easyish!)

Dee
brehede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 05:21 AM   #45
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.0/126.8 5'2" 38yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
If hunger isn't the problem- than food isn't the answer.
Carly is offline   Reply With Quote