Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2012, 09:12 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Mariacj
Stats: 210/173/143
WOE: JUDDD and Low Carb
Start Date: LC - Nov 2011, Judd - March 2012, LC + Judd Aug12
2 weeks And I have some questions

I actually entered my numbers on the website. I get different results... I was doing 1500/500, but the website under 20% says 1978/396 for my height and weight. 25% says 1978/495. 30% says 1978/593.

I have a couple of questions.

Soooooo I have not been eating anywhere near 1978. My highest date was 1620. Should I eat more? I can.... I promise I can...

I Don't go over on down days a lot maybe by an additional 30 cals, but appetite suppression has not kicked in for and sipping tea only does so much... On the positive side, I recognize hunger vs munches. Should I be aiming for 396? or maybe a happy medium of 450 for now.

I have not seen much more weightless since my initial 3 pound loss, but I think I am retaining water as I had been low carbing. I have been adding carbs back... It feels good to not say no to fruit and potatos.

I know this is only week 2 and I have to let Juddd work it's magic, but the fact that I was not eating enough on up days and too much on down days, I am afraid I may have blocked some of the magic.
Mariacj is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-16-2012, 10:30 PM   #2
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Yam-Yam
Stats: 230/191/165 @5'9"tall and 60 yrs. alive
WOE: Dukan 8/1/11 and now JUDDD
Start Date: 8/1/11 RE-start 1/1/14
Any significant calorie restriction is enough to begin activating the SIRT1 gene according to Dr. J.

His suggestion about UDs is to eat enough to nourish you on DDs. IMHO you are way better off eating up to the calories you are given for UDs and 1600 sounds low to me.

Try upping those UD calories, choose healthy food, and see if it helps with the hunger on DDs. I wrote down my range from 20% which is 350 to my 35% which is 690 and put it in with my daily weigh in post so that every day I can see it (UDs are 1920 for me) and be reminded that even if I get close to 700 I'm still good. BTW anything up to 45% is still considered WLM.

What you really want is to continue the DD rotations so the hormone-like protein produced by the activation of that gene can build up to it's max. That's when fat burning is optimum.

Eating your UD calorie limit not only helps you get through the next DD, it is also where the metabolism fires are fueled so the burning of unwanted fat and the prevention of further fat storage can happen on the DDs.

UDs boost metabolism. DDs burn fat.

Hope this helps!

"Weight loss isn't about winning a race; it's about crossing the finish line at your own pace." -Dianna Rodriguiz

current numbers: 1975/395
goal numbers: 1700/350 (just a reminder)
Yam-Yam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 10:39 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Yep... I get to eat more. I think I will try for 450 on my dd tomorrow. I ate close to 1900 today. Thanks a bunch!
Old 03-17-2012, 04:16 AM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
I second what Yam-Yam said!
gotsomeold is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 07:29 AM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: sterlinggirl
Stats: 225/166/165 47 5'9
WOE: JUDDD FOR LIFE!
Start Date: Jan 2012. Name Kimberly
Woooohooo.. dont ya just love it when ya get to eat MORE!! Great job getting thru 2 weeks and the best of sucess to you as you journey forward
sterlinggirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 10:46 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Thanks everyone! I am excited for tomorrow today dd at 450... I can do it!
Old 03-17-2012, 10:48 AM   #7
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: sophiethecat
Stats: 170+/135-138/145 5'6 39y pcos/IR/metformin
WOE: WL=LC then JUDDD/IF; Maintenance=IF/75%+ "healthy"
Start Date: LC 6/11; JUDDD 10/11; Maintenance 11/11
You CAN do this, Maria! Onward!
sophiethecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 11:23 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: thomasina838
WOE: JUDDD & paleo
Start Date: 16 Feb 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mariacj View Post
I actually entered my numbers on the website. I get different results... I was doing 1500/500, but the website under 20% says 1978/396 for my height and weight. 25% says 1978/495. 30% says 1978/593.

Soooooo I have not been eating anywhere near 1978. My highest date was 1620. Should I eat more? I can.... I promise I can...

I Don't go over on down days a lot maybe by an additional 30 cals, but appetite suppression has not kicked in for and sipping tea only does so much... On the positive side, I recognize hunger vs munches. Should I be aiming for 396? or maybe a happy medium of 450 for now.

I have not seen much more weightless since my initial 3 pound loss, but I think I am retaining water as I had been low carbing. I have been adding carbs back... It feels good to not say no to fruit and potatos.

I know this is only week 2 and I have to let Juddd work it's magic, but the fact that I was not eating enough on up days and too much on down days, I am afraid I may have blocked some of the magic.
you have to eat enough on the UD that your body knows you are not dieting. whatever that is. if you got that UD number from the calculator it might be too much. mine was. and i gained a couple of weeks. if you know what it takes to sustain your body at the weight/activity level you are now then that is the magic number. you can go up a little. but if you used the calculator Dr. J. says to pick a level of activity one less than what you think you do.
thomasina838 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 11:40 AM   #9
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: No Diet = No Stress! Just eating healthy!
OK, here is my educated opinion from doing JUDDD for the last 7+ months.....EAT!!

Leave that DD number at 500 or below, if you can and DEFINITELY eat up to the UD number, at whatever % you decide. JUDDD works best when done as suggested, and I really believe we mess up the "magic" when we tweak way too soon and even tweaking at 2 weeks, in my opinion, is way too soon.

99% of us gain in those first weeks if we decide to add more carbs in than our body is use to, but any gains quickly come off when the "magic" kicks in. Even doing this LC you body will be trying to figure out what is going on with the up and down calories so it may hold onto water/fat a bit until it realizes that this is who "feeding" goes and starts to let go of the water/fat. Actually lowering those UD calories right off the bat, and I'm saying by more than 200 calories a day, might make the weight loss speed up some BUT it will actually slow it down much more than it should in the long run. YOU GOTTA EAT!! to help JUDDD do what it was designed to do, if it's the plan that your body likes. Also JUST GIVE IT A CHANCE, 2 WEEKS IS ALL!! to let it work it's "magic".

AND if you CAN eat more, why not do it? I don't understand why anyone would want to eat less. Darn, I wish I had your UD calories when I started!! Eating less doesn't really do what we think if would, not on JUDDD. There are several threads about this, Pami's being a great one about how she realized that she was only eating something like 750+ calories a day when it her JUDDD numbers where added and divided by 2 days. She said that she realized that even though the weight loss in the beginning was good with her fasting on DD it started to take a toll and things were not moving as what she thought they should because SHE WASN'T EATING ENOUGH!!

So PLEASE eat!!

A man asked Gautama Buddha, "I want happiness." Buddha said, "First remove "I," that's Ego, then remove "want," that's Desire. See now you are left with only "Happiness.”
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 10:29 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

I am having a giggle moment... Tee hee I get to eat more tomorrow.

I have no I idea where I can up with 1500/500, but today I did 450 and tomorrow will be 1900... Waffles here I come!

I was surprised that 1978 and 396 were my options... With little or no exercise.

I am resting at 426. Lowest down day thus far. I hope to gradually work down to 396 (I may round up to 400 to make things easier.)

I just want to say how much I love this part of the boards. On the other side I found myself not wanting to post anything. I felt self conscious. I have no problems here.

My pants and I thank you all, Juddd family.
Old 03-18-2012, 04:52 AM   #11
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/150/150 (per Dr., stop losing!)
WOE: Whatever plan keeps me around 150 lbs!
Quote:

I have no I idea where I can up with 1500/500, but today I did 450 and tomorrow will be 1900... Waffles here I come!

I was surprised that 1978 and 396 were my options... With little or no exercise.

I am resting at 426. Lowest down day thus far. I hope to gradually work down to 396 (I may round up to 400 to make things easier.)

I just want to say how much I love this part of the boards. On the other side I found myself not wanting to post anything. I felt self conscious. I have no problems here.

KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 03:56 PM   #12

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/137/126 5'3" Age 67
WOE: JUDDD restart 8/25/2014
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
Be brave, eat up!
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 10:54 AM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: thomasina838
WOE: JUDDD & paleo
Start Date: 16 Feb 2012
Quote:

well Dr. J. says to pick one level down for the exercise but if you have already selected sedentary you cant do that. but that makes me think 1900 will be too much. it was for me. i gained two weeks running. and i was stuffing food on the UD. probably 1750 or so will be enough for you. remember that he also says the primary reason to use the calculator is to get the DD. then on the UD you eat enough to satisfy. Dr. J. also says not to deliberately overeat.
thomasina838 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 01:45 PM   #14

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
Quote:

It's hard to get over that *dieting involves lowered calories every day* mentality from how it's so often done, that we forget that JUDDD works just a smidge differently, but it's all set up to balance pretty well and give us the overall calories to lose weight and still be able to enjoy some very fine eating.

So that calorie number that is designated your *Normal* calories on the JUDDD site is actually a bit higher than what your actual calorie number for maintenance is. What an interesting thought..... Our Up Day *Normal* calorie number is over maintenance! Oh, NO! How can that be? How can this possibly work? Is this some mistake? Dr. J's book tells us to eat our *normal* calories on our Up Days, and they are more than we need for maintenance... Won't we stay fat or even grow fatter?

But then we see that the Down Day number as a small percentage of our *Normal* calorie number more than balances that large number out. And together, they give us a lovely lowered calorie average to help us lose weight.

But more importantly, between the two numbers there is a good spread, so we are constantly exerting a pounding bounce between those two amounts, like a piston, pounding up and pounding down.

So making the mistake of lowering that UD number on our own, thinking that perhaps it will help us lose weight even faster, isn't always a good idea. I think it's best to do JUDDD for awhile at the UD number we are given and at 500 calories or so on the DDs, and give that awhile to work. You can always lower some day in the future if this is absolutely too high for you, but it rarely ends up being the case.

But, it does sometimes take awhile for our bodies to get adapted to this, and if you have been low carb previously and are now adding in more carbohydrate foods, such as the fruit and potatoes (LOL) as you mentioned above, you are probably experiencing two things happening at the same time to you: You are undoubtedly RE-gaining some lost water weight! The water weight you lost when you started low carb and depleted your body of carb fuel gave you some weight loss that wasn't fat loss, and now you are reclaiming that water weight, but it isn't fat gain either. And that could be hiding the truth that you may well have lost some actual body fat! Woo Hoo!

I think once your body is all in balance again with the foods you are now going to be enjoying in your diet, you will be more likely to see the actual weight loss that is from fat loss appearing on your scale.

So eat to your UD calorie number and keep your DDs to about 500 or less if you can, and I expect you will be enjoying a new slimmer you as these weeks go by! Yay!

Last edited by SoHappy; 03-20-2012 at 01:48 PM..
SoHappy is offline   Reply With Quote