Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   JUDDD (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/)
-   -   Coconut sugar win! (blood sugar related) (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/762984-coconut-sugar-win-blood-sugar-related.html)

mykidsteacher 03-16-2012 01:38 PM

Coconut sugar win! (blood sugar related)

Background for the newbies--I've got blood sugar issues. Not diabetic, but had gest diabetes with my last baby (now 5 yo). I went paleo primarily for help with balancing blood sugar back in aug 2011. When I started JUDDD, I decided to play with carbs a bit and monitor their effect on my glucose. It wasn't good. Small amounts of grain were ok, but sugar in the smallest amounts sent my numbers soaring.

Well, I've been reading about coconut sugar and how it is low glycemic and good for diabetics. I ordered some and got it yesterday, and made pumpkin muffins last night (grain free, egg free, dairy free) using it and a bit of stevia. They were delicious! I had 2 with supper. And the best part is, my numbers were 112 2 hrs after eating (111 1 hr after). I had another with breakfast this morning, along with bacon and berries with coconut milk, and my readings were 106 1 hr pp, and 69 2 hrs after eating!!!

A similar muffin made with honey caused a spike of 158 1 hr after eating, that was still in the 130's 2 hours after.

So very excited and wanted to share as I know there are others who struggle with blood sugar in here.

arkie1 03-16-2012 02:00 PM

Tina-Great news about the blood sugar and Coconut sugar. I've never seen it in the stores, but I will look for it on line. I am Type 2, and would like to find something like that to not spike BS. Thanks for sharing!

Carole

KathyL 03-16-2012 02:50 PM

Hmmm, will have to give it a try. While I don't have blood sugar issues I often get massive sugar cravings whenever I have sugar. And I give in to those cravings more than I care to admit. :/ Maybe this won't have that effect on me.

Hatewashingup 03-16-2012 02:54 PM

Sounds interesting, I have read good things about it. At the moment I use manuka honey, blackstrap molasses, carob powder and stevia to sweeten. Obviously apart from the stevia they still impact blood sugar, I just use them as they are quite unrefined and have other health benefits. Maybe when I finish those jars I will have to order some coconut sugar!

gotsomeold 03-16-2012 04:37 PM

I never heard of it. Thank you for the info!

sungoddess 03-16-2012 05:29 PM

That's excellent!! I heard about it on, where else--- the Dr Oz show. This is very good to know.

sophiethecat 03-16-2012 08:48 PM

Wow, coconut sugar is something I've never heard of til now. Sounds wonderful! And even more wonderful that it's not hurting your blood glucose! Excellent! :high5:

Speck333 03-16-2012 09:18 PM

Is there anything coconut cannot do?! It's like a super-plant!

sunday 03-16-2012 09:29 PM

I know!!! Right? :jumpjoy: I picked it up at the Whole Foods Store a couple of weeks ago and have been anxious to try it in hot tea, oatmeal and my cocoa crack! Will let you know what I think! :cool:

Coconut is a super food!!!

theredhead 03-18-2012 02:11 PM

My mother bought some right after seeing it on the Dr. Oz show. I didn't know much about it, so was interested to hear of her experience. She ended up taking it back because she was disappointed in the lack of sweetening power. I can't remember what she put it in, but she said it just didn't taste sweet. Hmmm... I wonder if the brand makes a difference.

I'm happy to hear you've had good luck with it not blasting your blood sugar, though. That's certainly a big plus!

mykidsteacher 03-18-2012 03:42 PM

Well, I used it and some vanilla creme liquid stevia, so maybe the 2 together helped with the sweetening.

Eieio 03-19-2012 11:48 AM

Wow interesting Tina.
Coconut sweetener is added to list list.
Good luck with ur bs counts

Linny 03-20-2013 09:52 AM

Since the start of this post, are you all still using Coconut Sugar? I bought a bag of Madhava brand of C.S. today at the store. I opened it to taste it and it reminded me of browned sugar and the taste was pretty good. Like the original poster, I have major issues with blood sugar spiking with certain foods. I hope this is a winner for me.

Librarygirl 03-20-2013 04:38 PM

I've been wanting to buy some coconut sugar for a while now. I bought some palm sugar instead at the local asian store, but I know netrition sells it. One thing I did notice when I was googling coconut sugar is that some of the people who grow coconut trees for the fruit and oil complain that trees are being destroyed for coconut sugar.:dunno: It's been a while since I read it, so I don't remember what the issue was exactly. Anyway, so glad it works for you!

ETA: The palm sugar is not very sweet either, unless you eat it raw. :D It does not sweeten like cane sugar, or AS.

piratejenny 03-20-2013 07:33 PM

Linny, MKT hasn't been posting too much lately, so she might not see this right away.

I did an experiment with coconut sugar recently, and was a bit disappointed.
I took a tablespoon (in a glass of water) first thing in the morning and tested my blood sugar:

white sugar
start: 133
15 min: 160 (+27)
30 min: 169 (+36)
45 min: 141
60 min: 125

coconut sugar
start: 125
15 min: 172 (+47)
30 min: 125
45 min: 107
60 min: 123

As you can see, the coconut sugar spiked my BG higher and quicker than the white sugar, AND caused a 2nd spike at 60 minutes. :annoyed:

I still use it in small quantities, or mixed with lo han guo and erythritol.
It does have a really nice flavor! :yummy:

piratejenny 03-20-2013 07:43 PM

PS--I am diabetic, so YMMV.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Librarygirl (Post 16327199)
One thing I did notice when I was googling coconut sugar is that some of the people who grow coconut trees for the fruit and oil complain that trees are being destroyed for coconut sugar.:dunno:

If harvested properly, collecting sap does not have to harm the tree or decrease number of coconuts produced by each tree.

The part (spadix) that is tapped might otherwise produce a coconut. But the farmers may be able to make more money off the sugar than mature coconuts, so... :huh:

Rebecca1979 03-20-2013 07:50 PM

Good to know! So glad it's working with you!

Linny 03-21-2013 04:01 AM

Thanks for the feedback piratejenny!!!!

dawnyama 03-22-2013 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Speck333 (Post 15501669)
Is there anything coconut cannot do?! It's like a super-plant!

I love coconut anything :love: You should have seen all the ladies in the sweetener aisle at my local health food store the weekend after Dr Oz had coconut sugar on his show :stars: I could barely get through the aisle, it was so :hyst: And yes, I got some too :o

Whitlin' 03-22-2013 02:43 PM

Thanks for adding in your experiment, Jenny. It's valuable to know as many experiences as we can.

I need to maybe start a thread, or look site-wide. I've been asked to try to find some kind of sweet/dessert recipes for a family member, that are appropriate for a diabetic but are also vegan. A tall order. I assume I'm looking for stevia recipes. Tina's idea for muffins sounds like a good starting place.

Librarygirl 03-22-2013 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dawnyama (Post 16330389)
I love coconut anything :love: You should have seen all the ladies in the sweetener aisle at my local health food store the weekend after Dr Oz had coconut sugar on his show :stars: I could barely get through the aisle, it was so :hyst: And yes, I got some too :o

Don't you love coconut butter?!!!:yummy: I am using it a lot, lol. I want to make some coconut butter cupcakes with coconut butter icing.:yummy:

mojocat 03-22-2013 05:33 PM

Piratejenny I love your posts - you seem to be unafraid to experiment; I learn a lot from your posts. I'm not diabetic but I have craved sugar all my life and ate tonnes of it. I gave it up and feel better for it. By the way, I have the John Gabriel book! I think I could open a small nutrition library with the books I have bought in the past - thank heavens for kindle. And he's an Aussie - and so is David Sinclair - an avid researcher of sirtuins - hehehe we will take over the world..no..just joking

mojocat 03-22-2013 05:37 PM

Uggh got sidetracked...what I meant to say originally is when I did the potato hack I got severe hypo symptoms i.e. lightheaded, shaky, trembling etc so is this blood sugar related?

piratejenny 03-22-2013 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mojocat (Post 16331096)
Piratejenny I love your posts - you seem to be unafraid to experiment; I learn a lot from your posts.

Thank you!

Quote:

Originally Posted by mojocat (Post 16331101)
Uggh got sidetracked...what I meant to say originally is when I did the potato hack I got severe hypo symptoms i.e. lightheaded, shaky, trembling etc so is this blood sugar related?

Probably. I had the same reaction the first time I tried it. Did you see my latest experiment--I took raw cornstarch (yes i know it sounds wrong!!!) with the potatoes and didn't get hypo.

lisamt 03-23-2013 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Whitlin' (Post 16330868)
Thanks for adding in your experiment, Jenny. It's valuable to know as many experiences as we can.

I need to maybe start a thread, or look site-wide. I've been asked to try to find some kind of sweet/dessert recipes for a family member, that are appropriate for a diabetic but are also vegan. A tall order. I assume I'm looking for stevia recipes. Tina's idea for muffins sounds like a good starting place.

Erythritol comes from plant sources and should be fine for a vegan. I would suggest combining it with stevia, as it may not be sweet enough on its own.

If you search online for the ChocolateCoveredKatie blog, she has lots of vegan dessert recipes that can be made sugar free. :)

Whitlin' 03-31-2013 07:18 PM

Thank you, lisamt, I did find several possibilities there.

jaymar 04-03-2013 06:18 PM

I've been using the coconut palm sugar for about six months...I found it to be cheaper at swanson's..and since I get vitamins there, I get a bag once in a while to stay stocked up...I think it's great on a sweet potato..in oatmeal....I want to try cooking an apple with it and cinnamon and raisins.:)

Linny 04-09-2013 05:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaymar (Post 16353423)
I think it's great on a sweet potato..in oatmeal....I want to try cooking an apple with it and cinnamon and raisins.:)

Great ideas!

zipp2play 04-09-2013 05:41 AM

Tina, I hate all things coconut, so I can't comment on your post....except to say

HELLO, you are very missed!!!!!! Glad to see you are doing well!

zipp2play 04-09-2013 05:42 AM

OOPs, I just noticed you wrote the original post on 03/16! MAN I missed it!