Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2012, 09:43 AM   #1
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Yam-Yam
Stats: 230/191/165 @5'9"tall and 60 yrs. alive
WOE: Dukan 8/1/11 and now JUDDD
Start Date: 8/1/11 RE-start 1/1/14
Hey Kimberly

Hi!!

I finally saw your post last night on the Newbies -How are you doing? Thread and I posted a reply.

Also wanted you to check out this thread:

Reducing UD cals

Because I think it is put so well that after reading the book it's clear that on UDs you need to eat "just enough calories to let your body know it's not starving". And, this poster experimented and found the lowest she could go (somewhere around 1700 for her?) and she started losing faster.

Also wanted to say that I hope you did not get discouraged from the tone of the posts on that woe is me thread.

You are such a happy, upbeat person and I love you for that!

A very wise mentor of mine told me many years ago something I have never forgotten. And, it has served me well. "Unsolicited advice is always taken as criticism.

So, before I share my advice, I always preface it buy asking permission for instance: "Would you like to know what I think?" Or "Would you like to know what's working for me right now?"

Or, of course, if they come right out and ask me for help or advice, sometimes I just say, "Do you really want to know my opinion?" Then, if they give me permission, I go ahead.

I was tempted to chime in with my 2 cents worth to the original poster (I think her thread got hi-jacked by someone with an axe to grind.) But, I decided against it.

I think the OP is putting unrealistic time limits and a heavy burden of expectations on herself. Seems so sad to me, but each person has to find her own way. Don't you think?

Just want you to know I appreciate you being here! And, you are doing so well.

"Weight loss isn't about winning a race; it's about crossing the finish line at your own pace." -Dianna Rodriguiz

current numbers: 1975/395
goal numbers: 1700/350 (just a reminder)
Yam-Yam is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-16-2012, 01:12 PM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: sterlinggirl
Stats: 225/166/165 47 5'9
WOE: JUDDD FOR LIFE!
Start Date: Jan 2012. Name Kimberly
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yam-Yam View Post
Hi!!

I finally saw your post last night on the Newbies -How are you doing? Thread and I posted a reply.

Also wanted you to check out this thread:

Reducing UD cals

Because I think it is put so well that after reading the book it's clear that on UDs you need to eat "just enough calories to let your body know it's not starving". And, this poster experimented and found the lowest she could go (somewhere around 1700 for her?) and she started losing faster.

Also wanted to say that I hope you did not get discouraged from the tone of the posts on that woe is me thread.

You are such a happy, upbeat person and I love you for that!

A very wise mentor of mine told me many years ago something I have never forgotten. And, it has served me well. "Unsolicited advice is always taken as criticism.

So, before I share my advice, I always preface it buy asking permission for instance: "Would you like to know what I think?" Or "Would you like to know what's working for me right now?"

Or, of course, if they come right out and ask me for help or advice, sometimes I just say, "Do you really want to know my opinion?" Then, if they give me permission, I go ahead.

I was tempted to chime in with my 2 cents worth to the original poster (I think her thread got hi-jacked by someone with an axe to grind.) But, I decided against it.

I think the OP is putting unrealistic time limits and a heavy burden of expectations on herself. Seems so sad to me, but each person has to find her own way. Don't you think?

Just want you to know I appreciate you being here! And, you are doing so well.
aww thanks YAMYAM.. i was trying "not" to be offended by what they wrote.. and i did feel like it was an agressive post on her part kind of like "callin me out" and ijust was so.. soi wanted the original poster to have as much info as she needed to make an educated decision.. i mean after all.. i came from the low carb forum as well and i am so glad i am here!! I also have noticed that JUDDD BUDDDs are truly angels and the best for support on the weight loss journey.. love you girls!!
sterlinggirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 01:50 PM   #3
Blabbermouth!!!

you too, Girl! It's like having a bunch of sisters and we are all real close, huh? So much support and knowledge and wisdom on this forum.

I thought more about it and started feeling sorry for the original poster and went back and was going to send her a PM, but clicked on her profile and it's not available.

Also "post stalked" earlier and she has not been around much. I hope all that aggression from the anti-JUDDer didn't scare her away.

I mean, after all, she started the thread saying "Please tell me what is working for you." Right?

Oh! and the gal who posted about Dr. J contradicting himself started another thread this morning called "Great article about Intermittent Fasting!" I think she is seeing the light!
Old 03-16-2012, 06:04 PM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: gotitnow
WOE: JUDDD
First let me say sorry that had to happen to our sweet angel girl Kimberly

I never read or post in the main lobby. I'm still even a bit squemish posting here sometimes. I may be missing some good stuff, don't know. I do know I'm just plenty happy right here. Chicken-much...Yup!

Yam Yam, I'd like to ask,even tho I have read so much over time (so resist the urge to want to slap me ) BUT, is it best to lower your DD cals rather than your UD cals if I feel stuck in neutral? I just averaged about a month of DD's and got 750! I know most people go waaaay lower. Or both? I do 1500-1600 UD's and pretty strict about that. Just curious what you might tell me. I just want to lose about 5 more pounds. and thanks to whomever may chime in. ( I THINK I may know, but want some reassurance!)

Phyl
gotitnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 07:14 PM   #5
Blabbermouth!!!

Hey Phyl:

IMHO, which is not as wise as Beeb and some other experts, I would say go back to the calculator on the JUDD site.

Put in your current weight and age and click on 20% and see what it says. Then try it and see if you can do it. I would pay attention to UD calories and try to eat up to that because it really does fuel you for DDs and gets the old metabolism a blazin' and ready for some fat burnin' round the bonfire!

Dr. J, of course, says that if you can fast it's even better on DDs so I figure that the lower you can go the better.

Having said that, if it's impossible for you to do or to sustain at a low level, you are better starting as high as 45% and working your way down. You will lose slower maybe (maybe not?? Ya never know 'til you try). But that's better than falling off the wagon because you are starving.

Let me know what you decide and how it's working.
Old 03-16-2012, 09:01 PM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Yam Yam....Thank you for your quick response. The calculator gives me 1547 for UD and 309 DD @ 20%, 696 @ 45%. Early on I lost with 500-750 DD. I have only been below 500 maybe once. I have never ever had any trouble eating all my UD calories!! I may very well need to do the lower DD numbers to move the scale down again. I guess some people struggle more with the last few lbs. That's why I am so amazed at those ( like Sophie ) who easily lose even more in maintenance! I have gone up to 1650 and as much as 1700 a few times too on UD. I guess that could hinder losing any more too. Bottom line...if you're just maintaining, ya gotta tweak somewhere!! I do want to see this through to goal though!

Phyl
Old 03-16-2012, 10:45 PM   #7
Blabbermouth!!!

I certainly agree that weight loss slows down as we have less to lose. I know how my body works and it likes to lose a certain amount and then just maintain there for a while. Sometimes I'm tempted to feel frustrated, but then I'll take my measurements or try on an outfit and realize I really am losing fat!

In that case, the scale will catch up. Fat is very light, remember. Muscle is made up of 70% water and when you are adding muscle it can retain even more water during the building process. Water is heavy. Fat is light when you compare volume.

In one of the fasting articles someone linked to this site, the author makes the comparison between feathers and gold. Imagine 2 pounds of goose down feathers. Nice and fluffy and poofy, stuffed into a pillow case. probably would make 2 big fat pillows. Mentally take a tape measure and measure around both pillows. Now take a nice shiny 2 pound bar of pure gold. Gold is heavy, but sleek!! Measure that w/ your imaginary tape measure.

It takes a while, when we are burning fat, for it to show up on the scale because it is relatively light. That is why fat floats. It's light. But it's poofy and bulky!

Trust me. If you are doing IF and continue to do so, you are burning fat. One morning you will be shocked to see that the scale is catching up.
Old 03-16-2012, 10:48 PM   #8
Blabbermouth!!!

Oh, and Phyl: I don't think a few UDs at 1600 or even 1700 calories would be enough to undo the good you have done or cause you to stop burning fat!

Onward!!
Old 03-16-2012, 11:56 PM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Yam Yam, thank you so much for giving what's bugging me lately, YOUR time and energy. You know, this may be off the subject of weight loss, but it just feels nice to be cared about and thoughtfulness shown, in a world where it's easy to think sometimes, that people don't give a rip. I will be gladly marching on very carefully and caringly, expecting a great finish and beyond!(You set a good example for everyone! ) Wonderful thoughts to go on..thanks for the reminders of how our bodies work. I am trusting your words! So...as they say...onward and downward!

Phyl
Old 03-17-2012, 03:36 AM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

This is what i love about this WOE. i have been all over this forum and what we have here is differnt than the other threads.. kind of sad too , we are all looking to achive the same goals here no matter the WOe we chose to try, but with out the love and caring of a solid support group every thing is just harder..Here in this JUDDD BUDDD system the support seams to go beyond the printed words and makes every one of us "feel" warm and fuzzy in side.. just like a family! That is really what i desire to share to others... we all sturggle and ifl some one is reaching out for help.. they need to know that they are not alone.. and that we are all ONE. I understand now that this WOE is not for every one.. but not cuz it dont work.. but because the user of the program not only has to "want" to lose, but be ready in there life to "committ" to it as well...I could have Tryed this years ago.. and i dont think it would have worked... and that is because i was truly not ready in my mind for the changes i am making.. i have always wanted to lose but never really gave it my all.. and then it was just to easy to say.."oh well , that diet dint work" like there was somthing wrong with the plan.. i try.. half hearted the atkins woe years ago.. was unwilling to give up my coffee creamer and then blamed the plan for its faillure...im rambling today lol Well i just want to say "thank you" to all the folks here that have made me feel so welcome and at home.. i am pleaesd to have you all along with me on my journey to.. should i dare say it.... "ONEderland!!! wowohoo
Old 03-17-2012, 03:36 AM   #11
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
Hey Phy,

On DD our bodies release the magic sirtuin enzymes in amounts commiserate to the amount of caloric stress created. Based on the numbers the website gave you, you probably are slowing down, or coming close to a stall, at 750 cals/DD.

Based on the pattern I see, your BMR is probably about 1347. (Website seems to use some calculation for BMR then add about 200 to ensure UD is over BMR)

1347 / 750 = 1.8. Which means you are eating at or slightly above 50% of your UD calories on DD. I have found several theories that say to invoke IF (caloric stress response) you have to eat below 50%.

Lowering your DD calories should get things moving. BUT, don't try to drop from 750 to 300 (unless you are comfortable doing so). Shave 50 or 100 calories off DD for a week and see what happens. (Chuckle, I adjust my DD cals in 50 calorie increments so I can continue eating as much as I can.)

I am betting a few DDs at about 600 cals/DD may do it. If it doesn't 550 should. Both of those take you to eating less than half of your presumed BMR on DD.

Ain't math fun?
STILL below goal 2/15/14

I did not "lose" weight. I evicted it. It is gone and it ain't coming back!

JUDDD cares about calories. JUDDD does not care what you eat. Your body probably does.
gotsomeold is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 04:25 AM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Jbinme
Kimberly-I love reading your posts. You always seem so supportive and encouraging. I love that about juddd budds! I think you are right that we have to be ready to change for it to really work. If we are not ready then when it gets hard we might just give up. I think back to when I first decided to try juddd. I was so frustrated that I wasn't losing anymore with lc. I thought about giving up but I had come so far! I just started looking around to see what I could do different. Thank goodness I found this place! And if we aren't getting the results we want, there are people here to give suggestions. I juddd and juddd budds!
Jbinme is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 06:08 AM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbinme View Post
Kimberly-I love reading your posts. You always seem so supportive and encouraging. I love that about juddd budds! I think you are right that we have to be ready to change for it to really work. If we are not ready then when it gets hard we might just give up. I think back to when I first decided to try juddd. I was so frustrated that I wasn't losing anymore with lc. I thought about giving up but I had come so far! I just started looking around to see what I could do different. Thank goodness I found this place! And if we aren't getting the results we want, there are people here to give suggestions. I juddd and juddd budds!
i am glad you found this place too.. I know all to well about giving up.. and at one point in my life i said "hey" im 45 years old why try?? Well im glad i didnt listen to that lil voice and give it one more shot! I know how challenging this is for most, for if it were easy we never would have let our selfs get to number we have.. I have never felt closer to folks i dont even know ,but the common thread we share here feels like "home" So welcome to my family! I too love my JUDDD BUDDS
Old 03-17-2012, 08:34 AM   #14
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotitnow View Post
Yam Yam, thank you so much for giving what's bugging me lately, YOUR time and energy. You know, this may be off the subject of weight loss, but it just feels nice to be cared about and thoughtfulness shown, in a world where it's easy to think sometimes, that people don't give a rip. I will be gladly marching on very carefully and caringly, expecting a great finish and beyond!(You set a good example for everyone! ) Wonderful thoughts to go on..thanks for the reminders of how our bodies work. I am trusting your words! So...as they say...onward and downward!

Phyl
You put that so well! In this world, where we all need compassion, some people "just don't give a rip" and only seem to be concerned about themselves and always being right.

I love you guys too!!!

Now for my big Ta-Da!!! I reached a new low this morning!!! Wooo-Hooooo! I am now down over 35 pounds to 194.8!!
Old 03-17-2012, 10:58 AM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
You put that so well! In this world, where we all need compassion, some people "just don't give a rip" and only seem to be concerned about themselves and always being right.

I love you guys too!!!

Now for my big Ta-Da!!! I reached a new low this morning!!! Wooo-Hooooo! I am now down over 35 pounds to 194.8!!
i am soo excited for you too girl.. way to go!! It makes is all worth while when we see our effort pay off... I too will one day we right there with you..jumping for my own joy when i can say.. i have 35 off too!! woohoo girl im soo excited
Old 03-17-2012, 11:13 AM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Jbinme
Woohoo! you deserve it Yam-Yam. Great job!
Jbinme is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 11:21 AM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

Thank you too, Nancy! More wise words and the nudge to help keep on keeping on. I still want that "wiggle-room" and am sooo close!

Yam Yam I am thrilled for you! Talk about a smile ajax won't take off!!!

Kimberly, so glad you found this place too.....where we can be lifted up when we need it!

Phyl
Old 03-17-2012, 01:56 PM   #18
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Yam Yam I am thrilled for you! Talk about a smile ajax won't take off!!!

I mentioned on another thread that I LOVE your picture, Phyl! You are gorgeous!!!
Old 03-17-2012, 02:11 PM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Location: Smack Dab in the center of Arkansas (Go Razorbacks!)
Gallery: arkie1
Stats: 286 highest 257/250.8/??
WOE: Low Carb-IF/cngd d to JUDDD/lc on 2/9/12 (230)
Start Date: Feb 8, 2010 IF ON 8-14-11
With all the being shared here, I feel like I'm at a really big, fun family reunion!

I just want to say that this is the warmest place on the internet...Thanks, JUDDD-BUDDDs!

Carole
arkie1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 02:49 PM   #20
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/146.4/145, 5'9", 41 y.o., Hypothyroid
WOE: Back to JUDDD!
Quote:

I love you guys too!!!

Woohoo!!!
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 02:59 PM   #21
Major LCF Poster!

Awwww....Thank you for the sweet compliment....That makes my day! My face is a bit thinner now. BTW..You are gorgeous too!! Wish everyone would post a pic. Just feels more like we know one another. Glad for the ones that do. Maybe you could get them to!! It took some nerve for me to do that. I'm weird I guess! At my age I decided to "live on the edge" Maybe I need to "get a life!!".......make me stop!!

Phyl
Old 03-17-2012, 03:05 PM   #22
Major LCF Poster!

.........Speaking of pics...DAWN!!!...LOVE your new pic! BEAUTIFUL!!!

Phyl
Old 03-17-2012, 03:11 PM   #23
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/146.4/145, 5'9", 41 y.o., Hypothyroid
WOE: Back to JUDDD!
Thanks, you look fabulous! I was laughing at myself because I got my haircut this morning and liked it, so I wanted a new picture. I told the hubs, "I'm now THAT person, taking pictures in front of the mirror!" Ugh.
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 03:38 PM   #24
Major LCF Poster!

Carol join the love and hugs community!! I have to agree Phyl your photo is beautifull.. and i love Dawns new hair cut and i hope to be "that" person soon too who takes her own pictures and love how they all look! lol
Old 03-17-2012, 09:18 PM   #25
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: sophiethecat
Stats: 170+/135-138/145 5'6 39y pcos/IR/metformin
WOE: WL=LC then JUDDD/IF; Maintenance=IF/75%+ "healthy"
Start Date: LC 6/11; JUDDD 10/11; Maintenance 11/11
I just now got around to reading this thread.

Quote:

I never read or post in the main lobby. I'm still even a bit squemish posting here sometimes. I may be missing some good stuff, don't know. I do know I'm just plenty happy right here. Chicken-much...Yup!
Just wanted to say Phyl, you don't have to be squeemish about posting here - you've been a wonderful asset to the board, and I'm glad you came out of lurkdom. You;re so supportive and kind, and this forum belongs to you too. Post away!
sophiethecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 09:24 PM   #26
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: sophiethecat
Stats: 170+/135-138/145 5'6 39y pcos/IR/metformin
WOE: WL=LC then JUDDD/IF; Maintenance=IF/75%+ "healthy"
Start Date: LC 6/11; JUDDD 10/11; Maintenance 11/11
Quote:

WTG!!! I think I said it on another thread too, but you are really this woe, YY! Keep doin' it!
sophiethecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 09:57 PM   #27
Blabbermouth!!!

Dawn and Kimberly, love your pictures too!

So I'll be brave and put this one up of me. I've been letting my hair grow since my son took this picture just because my hair grows so fast I got tired of having to go get it cut every 3 weeks to keep the style. My hair dresser accuses me of using weed 'n feed or rolling in the grass after our lawn guy treats it with miracle grow.

But I don't like seeing pictures of myself and my big face close up! So it may not stay long!!

Last edited by Yam-Yam; 03-17-2012 at 09:59 PM..
Old 03-17-2012, 10:00 PM   #28
Major LCF Poster!

Thank you so much Sophie. I think I feel this way because (partly anyway) I had not been low carb for 2ys. or more and thought I would feel out of place. Found out about JUDDD on some other sight more than a year ago, was blown away by what I read and found it really worked. Found this forum several months ago and after much reading hoped I could maybe post and feel accepted. AND...SO FAR SO GOOD. I get such a kick out of everyone, not to mention support and encouragement. Can't wait to soon be maintaining with ya!! (I feel a little bit technology impared compared to the rest of my family too!! )

Phyl
Old 03-18-2012, 03:46 AM   #29
Major LCF Poster!

Love love love all of you gals.. This is a great place to be.. and much needed in my life at this time...I used to spend all my extra time(if there is such a thing) on the Face book site.. and have never found what i ive been looking for.. But i sure found it here!!! I only hit FB once a week now.. to busy enjoying my new family of sisters here!
Old 03-18-2012, 04:01 AM   #30
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Dawn and Kimberly, love your pictures too!

So I'll be brave and put this one up of me. I've been letting my hair grow since my son took this picture just because my hair grows so fast I got tired of having to go get it cut every 3 weeks to keep the style. My hair dresser accuses me of using weed 'n feed or rolling in the grass after our lawn guy treats it with miracle grow.

But I don't like seeing pictures of myself and my big face close up! So it may not stay long!!
OH YAMYAM.... you are sooo beautifull!!!! I For one hope that you embrace that beautifull face of yours and let it keep shining for all the world to see.. We are all way to critical of our selves and most of the time totally wrong about our own perception of what we look like...be proud of that georgus mug of yours... What we see is so differnt than what you do!