Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2012, 08:02 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: KathyL
Stats: 205/118-122/125 5'4" Age 53
WOE: low glycemic index in 2011 JUDDD in 2012
Start Date: January 2011
Keeping 'regular'

Before dieting I had no 'regularity' issues. When I started dieting last year as long as I ate an apple and some yogurt daily I had no issues. But at some point toward the end of the year it quit working. When I first started JUDDDing (Feb.) at first things seemed good but now I'm back to only going maybe twice a week. It's not difficult or hard but it also never seems to be enough to make up for the days I didn't go.

I always have some fruit on my UDs and am trying to have salads or other raw veggies too. I'm not a big veggie eater at all so I have to make myself do this. Most of the carbs I eat are sprouted whole grain (bread, tortillas, rice) and the few times I eat pasta it's brown rice pasta. I often have yogurt on DDs and UDs.

The things that used to *make* me go like chocolate or coffee don't have that affect on me anymore. LOL

Anyone else struggle with this? Suggestions on how to keep things moving?
KathyL is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-16-2012, 08:05 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: sterlinggirl
Stats: 225/166/165 47 5'9
WOE: JUDDD FOR LIFE!
Start Date: Jan 2012. Name Kimberly
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathyL View Post
Before dieting I had no 'regularity' issues. When I started dieting last year as long as I ate an apple and some yogurt daily I had no issues. But at some point toward the end of the year it quit working. When I first started JUDDDing (Feb.) at first things seemed good but now I'm back to only going maybe twice a week. It's not difficult or hard but it also never seems to be enough to make up for the days I didn't go.

I always have some fruit on my UDs and am trying to have salads or other raw veggies too. I'm not a big veggie eater at all so I have to make myself do this. Most of the carbs I eat are sprouted whole grain (bread, tortillas, rice) and the few times I eat pasta it's brown rice pasta. I often have yogurt on DDs and UDs.

The things that used to *make* me go like chocolate or coffee don't have that affect on me anymore. LOL

Waitng to hear on that my self,
sterlinggirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 08:07 AM   #3
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Yam-Yam
Stats: 230/191/165 @5'9"tall and 60 yrs. alive
WOE: Dukan 8/1/11 and now JUDDD
Start Date: 8/1/11 RE-start 1/1/14
Kathy: Are you getting in enough fats? Buy some Flaxseed Oil capsules and take 2 a day. My DD was having that problem and her doctor told her to do the Flaxseed Oil capsules. She takes them every day now and never has any problem.

You could also have a couple of teaspoons of coconut oil (I stir one teaspoon full into sugar free, fat free mocha cappuccino and it's delicious).

Also, increase your fluid intake. Do eat more leafy green veggies, cabbage, artichoke hearts, things like that but also drink more water than you think you need.

And, take magnesium before you go to bed. Not only will you sleep better and it's so good for you, but it will keep you regular.

"Weight loss isn't about winning a race; it's about crossing the finish line at your own pace." -Dianna Rodriguiz

current numbers: 1975/395
goal numbers: 1700/350 (just a reminder)
Yam-Yam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 08:09 AM   #4
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Momto2boysNJ
Stats: 2 be Physically Fit
WOE: LC for ME!
I had the same issue. I take 500 mg magnesium every day & no more problems.

I also think taking it helped lower my cholesterol too, but I'm not a doctor!
Momto2boysNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 08:17 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

I do use coconut oil for cooking on my UDs and I currently take krill and fish oil supplements. I think I have some flax I could sub for the fish oil and see if it makes a difference. I generally drink lots of water. I will try magnesium and see if that helps. and maybe I'll switch dinner plans to sauerkraut & sausage instead of scrambled eggs. If I remember correctly, the last time I ate that it did make me go. LOL
Old 03-16-2012, 08:39 AM   #6
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: No Diet = No Stress! Just eating healthy!
Get a good Probiotic! I took one, 10 billion dose a day and it does the trick. Also drink lots of water/liquid. When I don't drink enough I have problems, when I do I'm "good to go" (sorry )

Not only is the probiotic good for "that" it's also good for everything else we need for good gut health!

Last edited by Beeb; 03-16-2012 at 08:43 AM..
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 09:54 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

The probiotics is why I eat yogurt, drink kefir, and eat cultured cheese whenever I can. I tried taking a supplement (15 strains/35 billion) and it made no difference. Before I started JUDDD I also tried significantly increasing oils....in fact that's how I found this board. Stumbled across it when I googled for ways to incorporate more coconut oil in my diet as I was already cooking with it and putting it in my tea & smoothies.

I did recently (in the last month?) quit taking my calcium/magnesium supplement to see if I still needed it (was taking it for RLS). So far so good. So I will get a stand alone mag. supp. And make sure I'm drinking as much water as I think I am.
Old 03-16-2012, 10:03 AM   #8
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Yam-Yam
Stats: 230/191/165 @5'9"tall and 60 yrs. alive
WOE: Dukan 8/1/11 and now JUDDD
Start Date: 8/1/11 RE-start 1/1/14
Just wanted to add one important note here. If you seriously have a noticeable change and a hard time going when you did not in the past, I suggest, seriously, that you check with your doctor.

I don't want to sound scary, but several of my family members and one friend at church found out they had colon cancer and that was one of the signs.

Thankfully, all of them were diagnosed at a very early stage, had surgery and are completely OK now w/ no chemo and no bag or anything.

Like I said, I don't want to be a downer. But if you are getting enough fiber with plenty of water, eating healthy fats and are not deficient in magnesium, please check with your doctor? Just want you to be OK.
Yam-Yam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 10:10 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Thank you for your concern! I am going for a physical next month I think (have to for ins. reasons) and if the mag. doesn't help I will discuss it with my doc.

Odd thing though....on one of our trips last month when I was completely off plan (eating all meals out) for 4 days in a row I had no problem. In fact, felt like I got pretty cleaned out. LOL And I certainly wasn't drinking nearly as much water or getting my 'good' oils or probiotics in. That's what makes me think it's somehow diet related. Whenever I eat 'junk' I have no problems. Weird.
Old 03-16-2012, 10:13 AM   #10
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: jem51
Stats: oh so happy at 120
WOE: Mine, all mine
Start Date: controlled carb '97-98
You could add some psyllium.
jem51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 02:01 PM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mykidsteacher
Stats: 152/134/125 5'4"
WOE: Primal as of Aug 2011/JUDDD (started 1/13/12)
Start Date: Aug 2011/I've been maintaining since April 2012
My suggestion would be magnesium before bed as well. I take a liquid/cal mag, plus Peter Gillham's Calm (magnesium by itself), and am regular, first thing out of bed every day. Once I cut out milk and egg products, I've had to back off the extra mag because it was working a little too well. I think the allergy issues were blocking things up a bit so I needed more mag to overcome that.

Hope that works for you.
mykidsteacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 02:27 PM   #12

Gallery: Momto2boysNJ
Stats: 2 be Physically Fit
WOE: LC for ME!
I have to try to remember to take it at night, I usually take it in the morning, with my coffee.
Momto2boysNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 04:12 PM   #13
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sazzie
Stats: Maintaining ±4 lbs.
When I was on HCG protocol, I used CALM which has 325 magnesium in 2 tsps.

I now rely on psyllium husk that I put in my OMM along with oat fiber and a small amount of gluc, and they take care of everything.

Also, shiritaki noodles are a great addition to a DD menu.

On UDs, I get plenty of veggies and high fiber foods.
sazzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 04:27 PM   #14
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
My sister, a pro at this kind of problem , tells me you want a magnesium salt that ends in '---ate', not the kind that ends in '---ide'.
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 05:05 PM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Thank you for that info! I'm going to stop at the Vitamin Shoppe tomorrow.
Old 03-19-2012, 12:21 PM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: janj
Stats: 150/139/133 (5' 6.5")52 years old
WOE: LC
Start Date: May 2003
Been thinking about this thread and felt the need to reply.

Don't ignore constipation issues. I have struggled for 30 years or so and really believed it was just "me". At every annual physical I'd remind my doctor of my problems and he'd say, "well it's not a change for you, is it?...."

Finally, just before my 50th birthday in December, I doubled over with stomach pain and was diagnosed in the emergency room with a 'cecal volvulus' (twisted colon) that had to be removed there and then. The cause: years of chronic constipation!

Now I have to be careful that the same thing doesn't happen to the remaining half of my colon. I take miralax daily on my doctor's advice.

Don't mean to cause anyone to worry - but do follow up if you are worried about constipation
janj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 12:25 PM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: DD80
Stats: 188/165.0/145 5'10"
WOE: Organic GrassFed Gluten-Free 5/13 Dairy Free 2/14
Start Date: 1/10/12 Medi, 2/9/12 First UD, 1/1/13 New Plan
I second the magnesium, probiotics and extra fats. Sometimes, a senokot is necessary. Epsom salt bath is a great way to get your magnesium in, soothe muscles, and "detox" so to speak.
DD80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 12:55 PM   #18

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/150/150 (per Dr., stop losing!)
WOE: Whatever plan keeps me around 150 lbs!
Quote:
Originally Posted by janj View Post
Been thinking about this thread and felt the need to reply.

Don't ignore constipation issues. I have struggled for 30 years or so and really believed it was just "me". At every annual physical I'd remind my doctor of my problems and he'd say, "well it's not a change for you, is it?...."

Finally, just before my 50th birthday in December, I doubled over with stomach pain and was diagnosed in the emergency room with a 'cecal volvulus' (twisted colon) that had to be removed there and then. The cause: years of chronic constipation!

Now I have to be careful that the same thing doesn't happen to the remaining half of my colon. I take miralax daily on my doctor's advice.

Don't mean to cause anyone to worry - but do follow up if you are worried about constipation
I've also found, with my recent diagnosis, that constipation can be a symptom of a variety of different illnesses, including iron deficiency and hypothyroidism. I've always been "irregular" so it wasn't until recently, when the doctors were asking about my bathroom habits, that it occured to me I'm even less regular than normal. I never thought to list that as one of my symptoms.
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 01:13 PM   #19

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathyL View Post

A lot of this has to do with what your JUDDD diet consists of...

First of all, you are only eating much food on alternate days, so their isn't much food to make into poop on your Down Days! So less food volume = less poo volume. LOLOL

Then, I don't know how much mass you are eating of vegetables and fruits and grains, but those are the bigger contributors to fiber in your diet, hence *waste*. For folks who continue to eat very low carb, so much of that food is highly digestible and has little fiber and there is little of it to contribute to a stool. (Don't know whether you are eating very low carb or not...)

Hope this sort of gave you some possible and perhaps probable reasons for what you experience now.
Old 03-19-2012, 01:14 PM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: janj
Stats: 150/139/133 (5' 6.5")52 years old
WOE: LC
Start Date: May 2003
Dawn, I'm hypothyroid too. Been taking levoxyl since I was 18! I checked the iron in my multivitamin and it's 100% (thanks for mentioning that!).
janj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 01:18 PM   #21

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
I should add this: Do you feel like you are constipated? Or just that you don't make much poo to get rid of...

You did state that it isn't difficult or hard to go, just that the volume didn't seem to be in proportion to what it was prior to JUDDD.

I eat TONS of vegetables and fruit and grain products throughout the week on all Up Days and TONS of vegetables on Down Days, so.. ahem.. no problems for me. Oh, of course, I eat a lot of meat and all that stuff too.
SoHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 04:45 PM   #22
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: DD80
Stats: 188/165.0/145 5'10"
WOE: Organic GrassFed Gluten-Free 5/13 Dairy Free 2/14
Start Date: 1/10/12 Medi, 2/9/12 First UD, 1/1/13 New Plan
Quote:
Originally Posted by janj View Post
Dawn, I'm hypothyroid too. Been taking levoxyl since I was 18! I checked the iron in my multivitamin and it's 100% (thanks for mentioning that!).
Just be careful. Iron can cause constipation. I am also hypo and that problem has been with me for years...even before the hypo diagnosis. It is better now depending on what I eat and my vitamins. My sister isn't hypo and has it much worse and me.

Last edited by DD80; 03-19-2012 at 04:46 PM..
DD80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 05:47 PM   #23
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: OhioGuy
Stats: 6'2'' 370 atkins to 355 then JUDDD
WOE: Good bye LC, Hello Juddd
Start Date: 3/5/2012 atkins intro JUDDD 3/29/12
i second flax seed. the first time i did atkins i didnt you know what for weeks!!
pills didnt even work!
i take magnesium with no help. i take it for other reason too however.
what i did was, i picked up a box of King Arthur Ground flax seed meal, i think it was like a couple dollars. i keep it by the oven. WHENEVER i cook it goes in. just some. it adds no flavor and also works great to thicken certain things.
ooooh and SUNFLOWER SEEDS!
OhioGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 06:37 AM   #24
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: cathyjs
Stats: 235/224.8/185
WOE: South Beach and now JUDDD
Start Date: 3/9/2012
Thank you so much for this thread! I was...ahem......afraid to ask if anybody else was having problems with this. I do take a probiotic daily and it was working well until I started the JUDDD regimen. I have to take a large dose of calcium and iron for other issues and I'm thinking that combined with the shakes I've been using on DD to keep the cal. count down are the cuplrits. I do eat plenty of veggies on DD and fruits and veggies on UD so I think if I add the magnesium it will take care of the situation. Thanks again for all of your advice!
cathyjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 07:18 AM   #25
Senior LCF Member

I don't intentionally eat lc but some days it seems like I do. I would never say I eat a ton of veggies....I don't like them! But I try to get them in (preferably raw). Mostly peppers, carrots, lettuces, spinach, cucumber. Once or twice a week I'll cook frozen veggies like broccoli, cauliflower, or green beans. Cabbage or sauerkraut once in a while. Ick.....just thinking about cooked veggies right now is turning my stomach. LOL

I am hypot. and had forgotten that can be a symptom. And I had been taking iron up until a few weeks ago. I usually do not *feel* constipated.

So I tried the mag. last night. I took 2 - 200mg tablets. And I needed to go within an hour or so. LOL Tonight I'll try taking just one. It will be great if it's that simple.
Old 03-22-2012, 03:17 AM   #26
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
Oh Kathy, that is funny!

I can't believe I didn't remember this one earlier. A year or so ago I started supplementing with artichoke leaf extract because it is supposed to regulate cholesterol. It did nothing for my cholesterol, but - wow - it did amazing things for my 'regularity'.

I did a bit of research and found a lot of people who reported the same thing.

Don't get the pill kind - they seem to have trouble dissolving. But the powdered leaves in gel caps help you.
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 06:20 AM   #27
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: sophiethecat
Stats: 170+/135-138/145 5'6 39y pcos/IR/metformin
WOE: WL=LC then JUDDD/IF; Maintenance=IF/75%+ "healthy"
Start Date: LC 6/11; JUDDD 10/11; Maintenance 11/11
Hope some of these great suggestions work for you soon.

Just wanted to echo that if things don't change in a reasonable amount of time to get checked out, and it sounds like that's what you're going to do. Because bowel troubles can become very serious. I know one person who ended up with their bowel twisted and fused together... that required surgery and a huge recovery ordeal. I think he's still recovering 6 months later. Another had to be "manually" cleaned out 2 different times, and likened it to the pain of childbirth. But if she hadn't had it done, it would have killed her. Sorry to be scary, I just don't want anything to happen to our dear JUDDD buds!

As far as hard-to-do BM, I rarely have any trouble with that! In fact, sometimes it's too frequently for me. But I've always had that issue through my life off and on. One doc said IBS. I've also recently self-diagnosed lactose intolerance as causing at least a little of it. Whatever it is, I never know for sure when it will hit me. Like the other day I ate an apple and had to GO right as soon as I was finished. Didn't see that coming, especially since it didn't happen another time when I ate an apple by itself.

Anyway, as to suggestions.

Gentle bouncing on the rebounder (mini trampoline) in the am. for a couple minutes seems to stimulate things for me.

Coffee... tea, but you said that wasn't working for you anymore.

A while back I bought an herbal cleanse from the HFS that worked. (after an xray of my abdomen, the dr's office told me I had some "build up" in the bowel and wanted me to take a laxative! I was shocked but thinking about it, I realized I had gone a couple days or more without going, and that was strange for me, so I went ahead and bought a laxative that also contained herbs good for the GB which I was more concerned about at the time).

The formula is called Nature's Secret Multi-Fiber Cleanse. You might want to buy it online cause it was quite expensive at the HFS. It contains cascara sagrada, fennel, psyllium, ginger, acacia gum, alfalfa, apple pectin, barley, beet, glucomannan, karaya, lemon, oat, peppermint, red raspberry, chlorella, guar gum, lactobacillus acidophilus.

One last suggestion, my doctor has my dad taking a daily stool softener since his surgery. I think it's called senna.

Let us know how you do.
MAINTENANCE since 11/12/11, & have lost more weight. I shake things up all the time with my version of Pirate Jenny's MUDDD, my "Fast 5" & other IF. ...low-moderate fat....and eating "healthy" foods 75+% of the time which lets me have real life and indulgences too I've reached my goals, improved my health & appearance, and enjoy my lifetime woe!

Last edited by sophiethecat; 03-22-2012 at 06:22 AM..
sophiethecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 06:29 AM   #28
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: synger
Stats: Start: 310 Current: 259
WOE: Calorie and carb counting, IR Diet framework
Start Date: IR/PCOS: Dx pre-diabetic 3/2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHappy View Post
I should add this: Do you feel like you are constipated? Or just that you don't make much poo to get rid of...

You did state that it isn't difficult or hard to go, just that the volume didn't seem to be in proportion to what it was prior to JUDDD.

I eat TONS of vegetables and fruit and grain products throughout the week on all Up Days and TONS of vegetables on Down Days, so.. ahem.. no problems for me. Oh, of course, I eat a lot of meat and all that stuff too.
This is a good point. When I went from eating a LOT of food with bulk -- bread, veggies, grains, potatoes, cake, etc. -- to a plan where I cut backon the sugars and starches, I noticed a real change in my BMs. I went from one or two a day to one every other day or so. They're still easy. They're just not as frequent.
synger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 06:33 AM   #29
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: synger
Stats: Start: 310 Current: 259
WOE: Calorie and carb counting, IR Diet framework
Start Date: IR/PCOS: Dx pre-diabetic 3/2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by sophiethecat View Post

Gentle bouncing on the rebounder (mini trampoline) in the am. for a couple minutes seems to stimulate things for me.
My DD (now 11) was born with an imperforate anus, and had surgery to fix it up when she was a baby. She's ALWAYS had constipation issues.

But when she was a preschooler and in the early years of elementary school, the absolute best way for us to get her to "go" was to put her in the pool. After swimming around (she could swim at 3) for 20 minutes, she'd always have a good BM. (the trouble was teaching her to tell us before hand, so we could get her to the toilet in time. She didn't want to stop swimming!)

Her doc also said that she could take Miralax every day without problem. It's not habit-forming like other laxatives. We give her a half-dose once or twice a week, just to keep thing moving.
Old 03-22-2012, 01:12 PM   #30
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: OhioGuy
Stats: 6'2'' 370 atkins to 355 then JUDDD
WOE: Good bye LC, Hello Juddd
Start Date: 3/5/2012 atkins intro JUDDD 3/29/12
ohhhh, i wanted to add one more thing

last resort

i know magnesium was suggested but again, it never worked for me.
HOWEVER, if NOTHING is working for you....
..... there is another option.
you might wanna clear out 2 days.
there is liquid magnesium at the pharm.
this is the stuff the doctor will tell you to take before heading
into the hospital or whatever. its OTC however
and would be better than stuck the other way.
its usually lime flavored and perhaps carbonated.

2 warnings. you have to make sure you have 2 days cleared
and once you start drinking it, DONT STOP =)
OhioGuy is offline   Reply With Quote