Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2012, 09:10 AM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: synger
Stats: Start: 310 Current: 259
WOE: Calorie and carb counting, IR Diet framework
Start Date: IR/PCOS: Dx pre-diabetic 3/2010
Mark's Daily Apple blog post on fasting

Interesting review of IF benefits from a paleo blog...

Google: How Fasting Aids Weight Loss Mark's Daily Apple

Two things struck me that applied to my experience on JUDDD.

1. The studies show over and over that IF helps with fat loss specifically. All the mechanisms that they studied and measured were things that triggered fat loss. Not "weight loss", which can mean muscle loss as well. I'm finding that my body is reshaping week by week, even when the scale isn't moving.

2. The idea that fasting every other day or a couple times a week is easier than following a detailed low-calorie diet plan day in and day out for month after month. I absolutely find JUDDD easier to follow, even with the calorie counting (which has become routine for me now), that it was to keep to a restricted-calorie diet day after day. Even on low-carb, I had to restrict calories to lose. And I couldn't do it consistently enough to see losses. I would get hungry, feel deprived, and binge, and completely undo whatever good the LCing had done.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-15-2012, 11:08 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: vilanteira
Stats: in maintenance
WOE: juddd/lower carb
Start Date: low carb: 2008, juddd: 10/24/11
Wow, this is really encouraging and positive info for us on many levels, and I looked at the date and realized he wrote it just today. A lot of it resonates with my own experience, especially the body composition changes rather than just the scale numbers lost. I'm actually not exercising at all right now, and yet my belly has started to whittle down, and it's the most stubborn part that never ever leaves me no matter how many times I've dieted and worked out in the past.

I find the fat burning and improved insulin discussion fascinating as well. Not that I need more convincing that JUDDD is the right way for me to eat/live, but reading things like this makes me truly happy, confident and more motivated than ever to keep to this for the long haul.
vilanteira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 11:48 AM   #3
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Luna Loca
Stats: 303/159/159
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: 10/17/10 started JUDDD on 1/28/12 at 198
Thank you for posting this! That was a good read.
Luna Loca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 12:21 PM   #4
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Yam-Yam
Stats: 230/191/165 @5'9"tall and 60 yrs. alive
WOE: Dukan 8/1/11 and now JUDDD
Start Date: 8/1/11 RE-start 1/1/14
Thank you for posting this link! Great read. Very motivating and lots of good info. Will go back again and again.
Yam-Yam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 12:25 PM   #5
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: adillenal
I subscribe to his daily Apple thing and although I don't follow his plan (I do have his book) I find his information to be very good.
adillenal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 01:11 PM   #6
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: sophiethecat
Stats: 170+/135-138/145 5'6 39y pcos/IR/metformin
WOE: WL=LC then JUDDD/IF; Maintenance=IF/75%+ "healthy"
Start Date: LC 6/11; JUDDD 10/11; Maintenance 11/11
Quote:
Originally Posted by synger View Post
Interesting review of IF benefits from a paleo blog...

Google: How Fasting Aids Weight Loss Mark's Daily Apple

Two things struck me that applied to my experience on JUDDD.

1. The studies show over and over that IF helps with fat loss specifically. All the mechanisms that they studied and measured were things that triggered fat loss. Not "weight loss", which can mean muscle loss as well. I'm finding that my body is reshaping week by week, even when the scale isn't moving.

2. The idea that fasting every other day or a couple times a week is easier than following a detailed low-calorie diet plan day in and day out for month after month. I absolutely find JUDDD easier to follow, even with the calorie counting (which has become routine for me now), that it was to keep to a restricted-calorie diet day after day. Even on low-carb, I had to restrict calories to lose. And I couldn't do it consistently enough to see losses. I would get hungry, feel deprived, and binge, and completely undo whatever good the LCing had done.
Thanks for posting! I love reading stuff like this! And it's so much better than a daily restricted calorie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vilanteira View Post
Wow, this is really encouraging and positive info for us on many levels, and I looked at the date and realized he wrote it just today. A lot of it resonates with my own experience, especially the body composition changes rather than just the scale numbers lost. I'm actually not exercising at all right now, and yet my belly has started to whittle down, and it's the most stubborn part that never ever leaves me no matter how many times I've dieted and worked out in the past.

I find the fat burning and improved insulin discussion fascinating as well. Not that I need more convincing that JUDDD is the right way for me to eat/live, but reading things like this makes me truly happy, confident and more motivated than ever to keep to this for the long haul.
All this, me too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by adillenal View Post
I subscribe to his daily Apple thing and although I don't follow his plan (I do have his book) I find his information to be very good.
Same here.
sophiethecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 04:51 PM   #7
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Speck333
WOE: Semi-Primal
We're not crazy! Alternate day fasting articles

Today's post at marksdailyapple discusses the benefits of fasting. Of particular interest to JUDDDers may be the links to several articles specifically on alternate day fasting which is what we do.
He lists summary titles for these scientific articles as:
  • In non-obese patients, alternate day fasting increased fat oxidation and weight loss.
  • In obese patients, alternate day fasting was an effective way to lose weight; dietary adherence remained high throughout.
  • In young overweight women, alternate day fasting was just as effective as caloric restriction at causing weight loss, and adherence to the former was easier than to the latter.

The studies are linked on Mark's website, you can go there to link to the articles. I haven't read them yet, and am only halfway through reading the post, I just got so excited I wanted to alert you all to it right away.
We are not crazy!!
Speck333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 05:48 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Buttercup204
Stats: 204/197/165
WOE: NK/JUDDD
Cool! I go to that website all the time to read the articles. This should be interesting. Thanks for letting us know!

-Michelle
Buttercup204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 08:38 PM   #9
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sunday
Stats: 225/145/ ...
WOE: Perfect Health Diet- 16hr Daily Fast
Start Date: JUDDD - 2/01/12 Began at 200, Goal 130
Thanks Speck! He has a forum also, but it is mostly geared toward Primal/Paleo, although, I believe some of them do IF. I love to read his articles when I am not on LCF.

NO, we are not crazy, we are WINNING healthwise!
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 08:54 PM   #10
Blabbermouth!!!

His forumites are too hard core for me! Lol. I think other people think we're nuts. I thought we were nuts before I became one of "us". Haha. It helps to have some independent validation.
Old 03-15-2012, 09:37 PM   #11
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Yam-Yam
Stats: 230/191/165 @5'9"tall and 60 yrs. alive
WOE: Dukan 8/1/11 and now JUDDD
Start Date: 8/1/11 RE-start 1/1/14
Thanks for the heads up! I bookmarked the links and will read tomorrow on my DD.
Yam-Yam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 09:58 PM   #12
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
I've read quite a few studies on calorie restriction/fasting over the years, and am a firm believer in the health benefits they offer as well as the weight loss. And sometimes it takes awhile for somebody before the fasting can heal their body enough for the weight loss part to take hold.

I don't think many on LCF really buy into it, but I think that might be expected. But my belief hasn't faltered and won't.

Thanks for posting here. I posted this afternoon in the Main Lobby, but I don't think many people were all that interested. LOL
Old 03-16-2012, 02:43 AM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: thomasina838
WOE: JUDDD & paleo
Start Date: 16 Feb 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speck333 View Post
Today's post at marksdailyapple discusses the benefits of fasting. Of particular interest to JUDDDers may be the links to several articles specifically on alternate day fasting which is what we do.
He lists summary titles for these scientific articles as:
  • In non-obese patients, alternate day fasting increased fat oxidation and weight loss.
  • In obese patients, alternate day fasting was an effective way to lose weight; dietary adherence remained high throughout.
  • In young overweight women, alternate day fasting was just as effective as caloric restriction at causing weight loss, and adherence to the former was easier than to the latter.
The studies are linked on Mark's website, you can go there to link to the articles. I haven't read them yet, and am only halfway through reading the post, I just got so excited I wanted to alert you all to it right away.
We are not crazy!!
where are they? what thread? i cant find them.
thomasina838 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 03:23 AM   #14
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
Just jump onto Mark's Daily Apple. He has a new posting today. Then run a search on 'fasting' and you will find a lot of blogs (with links). He has been thinking and writing about this for awhile. VERY interesting articles.
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 04:04 AM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: thomasina838
WOE: JUDDD & paleo
Start Date: 16 Feb 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotsomeold View Post
Just jump onto Mark's Daily Apple. He has a new posting today. Then run a search on 'fasting' and you will find a lot of blogs (with links). He has been thinking and writing about this for awhile. VERY interesting articles.
i did but i searched for alternate day fasting and found posts from 2009.
thomasina838 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 05:14 AM   #16
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

If you click the 'Start Here' button, you can read yesterday's post. Then, just search on 'fasting'. He is concentrating on 'fasting' as a concept (although he does reference alt day fast).
Old 03-16-2012, 06:06 AM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: synger
Stats: Start: 310 Current: 259
WOE: Calorie and carb counting, IR Diet framework
Start Date: IR/PCOS: Dx pre-diabetic 3/2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by adillenal View Post
Yeah, I have a couple of health-related blogs coming in to my news reader. His is one of them. I find it interesting even if I don't follow it. Food for thought!
synger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 06:24 AM   #18
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: shirlc
Stats: 144/128.5/130-5'5"
WOE: Low/Mod Carb, JUDDD (JUDDD, 10/25/11 at 141.5)
Start Date: March, 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speck333 View Post

I thought we were nuts before I became one of "us". Haha.)
^^^This exactly!!!
shirlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 06:53 AM   #19
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Like Pat, for many, many years I read about the health advantages of fasting/alternate day calorie restriction. I knew it was wise and would be very good for me. I just did not believe I could do it.

This forum convinced me I could.

This, of course, in no way abrogates the possibility that I am, in fact, crazy ... I can only prove my woe is not .
Old 03-16-2012, 11:21 AM   #20
Blabbermouth!!!

Either someone combined threads...or maybe I *am* going crazy. hahaha

Thomasina, if you go to the main "home" page for Marksdailyapple, and scroll down you will find the post from March 15 on fasting.