Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2012, 10:52 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: wifeofseth
Stats: 270/270/140
WOE: LC during pregnancy
Start Date: March 2012
First DD = Fail

I'm about 6 hours into my first DD and already over calories. I'm just coming off a stringent LC few months and I'm wondering if that might have something to do with it. I'd gotten fairly used to being full all the time.

My plan was 600 calories.
That consisted of:
20oz protein shake made with sf almond milk, Aria powder, SF caramel syrup, and an Atkins shake to equal up to 20oz. Total calories on that was 520. My plan was to just sip on it through the day.

I also made a really simple soup for the day that was chicken broth, spinach, and cabbage. The total on that was 52 calories for 4-5 servings.

I had my morning half pot of coffee with a total of 1/4c creamer, which is 40 calories.

So, at the end of the day, I'd be 12 or so over. Not at all a big deal.

Except, the shake and soup are gone, I've convinced myself I'm starving to death, and I had a slice of provolone cheese and swiped a chicken nugget off my son's place. That 2 bites of food added 136 calories.

And it's not even 2 pm.

So, my question is: did anyone have any luck weaning themselves down to the 500 calorie days? Starting a bit higher and working their way down? I have the book, I have a foods list, recipes, etc. I think I'm just used to feeling more full and having bacon and eggs for breakfast (which I am soooo doing tomorrow).

I have faith that this will get easier. And I'm reminding myself that tomorrow I can have a 'real' lunch and dinner. Today is just really difficult for some reason.
wifeofseth is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-15-2012, 10:59 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: vanilla_latte
Stats: Weigh/Too/Much!
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: 8/18/14
Hi and welcome. I'm a returning JUDDDer.

I'm sure someone will post a link to the thread, but yes, there are some who wean their way down.

I'm giving myself between 500-700 to begin with. Partly because I do exercise 3-4 days a week AND because it's a mental thing with me. Having that cushion, oddly, encourages me to stay closer to 500.

I think some of it is the mere thought of going without food. I know all of us, for one reason or another, has gone a day where we just didn't eat much and didn't think a thing of it. It's when we know we're supposed to that we panic (for lack of a better word).

Hang in there, the DD's do get easier and choose the things that satisfy you (for me it's fat, not protein).

You an do it!

Yes, I'm going to track every loss when I get it!

Last edited by vanilla_latte; 03-15-2012 at 11:01 AM..
vanilla_latte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 11:10 AM   #3
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Momto2boysNJ
Stats: 2 be Physically Fit
WOE: LC for ME!
I think your down fall is that 500 calorie shake. 20 oz is not enough to get through the day no matter how lightly you sip it!

Today is my first DD too. I've had 2 coffee/vanilla protein shake drinks (half a shake each) for a total of 100 calories & a protein bar that was 100 calories.

I'm kind of hungry, but not hungry enough for a hard boiled egg so it might be "mouth hungry" I still have 300 calories to go and 9 hours to spread it over. OH and have to make dinner for everyone else too. darn
Old 03-15-2012, 11:15 AM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Don't forget to check out the menu threads to see what people are eating - especially on a DD!
Old 03-15-2012, 11:26 AM   #5
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Baconfest
I'm just past 2 weeks. First couple down days were around 650 calories. Then down to 500. Now it seems easier to eat nothing than to have a few bites and stop, so I've only been having coffee and tea with heavy cream through the day (think 5 cups with 1 teaspoon HWC each cup). I'm sticking to low carb high fat food choices, otherwise I think I'd be too hungry from blood sugar fluctuations to succeed. Down 6 pounds in those 2 weeks, so tapering down is definetely an option.

Check the carbs on those shakes and stuff though... Artificial sweeteners sometimes cause hunger in some people.
Baconfest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 11:35 AM   #6

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/150/145, 5'9", 41 y.o., Hypothyroid
WOE: Back to JUDDD!
I never could have made it on shakes. We all have to find what works for us. I don't see that you've failed, but rather that you're learning what's going to work for you.

Each of us has to play around on DDs to figure out if we need bulky veggies, high protein, small amounts of fat, or some combination of all of them.

I need bulky veggies, a little protein, and almost no fat.

Some can get by on very little bulk and higher fat.

Some need mainly protein in the form of lean meats or greek yogurt.

You'll get there with time and practice. Don't beat yourself up.

ETA: I also use hot drinks (coffee, tea, broth) and spicy foods which trick my mind into thinking I'm full on very little.

10/24/11 @ 277.6
January 2014 @ 145
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 11:50 AM   #7
Junior LCF Member

I think my issue is the shake and soup. I need crunch. A celery stick with hummus tides me over for hours. This weekend I'm going to go through the recipe threads and put a real plan in place. Thank you so much for the advice!
Old 03-15-2012, 11:51 AM   #8
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: adillenal
Not to worry. It will work out.
Now I am one that DID make it on shakes BUT everyone is different. I had coffee with HWC and a shake at 120 calories for B and sipped a shake from 10-2 and then had another in the evening. I was not hungry. I drank a lot of fluids as water and diet coke. Also threw in a couple of mugs of broth at 5 calories a mug.
Since everyone is different as to what they can and cannot do, it will take a little experimenting to find what keeps you full.
I now can have coffee with HWC and a hard boiled egg white for B or a serving of hot oat bran at 120 calories. Anytime I think I am starving I eat another HB egg white at 16 calories each. The more boring the better for me. If it tastes fantastic human nature is to want more so I go plain.
Hot tea is good too but I prefer a mug of very diluted broth since it is so high in salt.
Keep it up and you will find your perfect menu.
181.0/168.0/145 07/25/11 The Rice Diet
181.4/179.0/145 Atkins 72 10/31/11
180/132/139 JUDDD 01/01/2011
157/148/139 JUDDD 07/28/2014
adillenal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 11:59 AM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by adillenal View Post
Hot tea is good too but I prefer a mug of very diluted broth since it is so high in salt.
I saw where someone added cream to their broth. I did this yesterday and wow was it yummy and satisfying!
Old 03-15-2012, 12:03 PM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Truffles
Stats: 142/125/128 JUDDD
WOE: LC&JUDDD
Start Date: 3/11 LC - 1/12 LC/JUDDD
For crunch i LOVE the light wasa crackers. Pretty low in carbs too as i usually only eat 1 or 2 a day. I like to spread 1/2 a LC or WW cheese on them then put 1 oz of fish. Either canned salmon or tuna, or my fav, smoked whitefish. Crunch, protein, and a little cheese, all for approx 65 calories. 2 of these are my dinner sometimes!
Truffles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 12:07 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Hatewashingup
Stats: 135/114/108
WOE: Juddd/Vegetable lover!
Start Date: January 2012
I have just started also and gone straight from LC into doing DDs of 400-500 cals and am enjoying them. What makes them fun for me is eating food I could not eat on LC, mostly fruit - this way it feels like I am treating myself. Also eating lots of fruit and veggies means I can eat more bulk.

This works for me but others might need that satiety from protein. I would try eating a few different ways on your DDs to see what works for you. Anyway, I wouldn't call your DD a fail, about 750 cals is still good going for your first time! Think positively and tell yourself well done for even restricting calories that much.
Hatewashingup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 12:38 PM   #12
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sunday
Stats: 225/145/ ...
WOE: Perfect Health Diet- 16hr Daily Fast
Start Date: JUDDD - 2/01/12 Began at 200, Goal 130
I agree that it is the shake.

I have a protein load 1st thing in the morn even when I don't feel like eating. Which after UD, I never have hunger for DD!!! It is unbelievable!

This completely quenches my hunger. It is usually approx. 300 cals, but I am honestly not hungry one bit and it is now 2:30 pm. I will have grilled shrimp or fish for supper w/ salad and be right at 500 cals for the down day.
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 12:41 PM   #13
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: adillenal
Isn't it amazing how different foods react differently with different people? JUDDD is so unique in that each person can individulaize their program to fit their own personal body.
adillenal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 12:45 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Sammyann
Stats: 162/140.5/maintain 135-139
Start Date: March 2012 re-start Dec. 2012
I can't do shakes or soup. They both leave me very hungry.

Yesterday for breakfast I had 1/4 cup oatmeal, with 1/2 a scoop of whey protein and 1/2 a serving almond milk. It was 71 cal and kept me full till around 2pm.
Sammyann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 01:10 PM   #15
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sunday
Stats: 225/145/ ...
WOE: Perfect Health Diet- 16hr Daily Fast
Start Date: JUDDD - 2/01/12 Began at 200, Goal 130
Sammy that is something I would totally do and enjoy! I would even add some EVCO.
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 01:30 PM   #16
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: sophiethecat
Stats: 170+/135-138/145 5'6 39y pcos/IR/metformin
WOE: WL=LC then JUDDD/IF; Maintenance=IF/75%+ "healthy"
Start Date: LC 6/11; JUDDD 10/11; Maintenance 11/11
Hi WoS, you can definitely work your way down to lower calorie numbers! I did this when I started. I think my first DD was over 800 calories, but it didn't take too long to work it down to around 500. I didn't stay down there too long though. I began to allow myself 750 calories on DD with the intention that I'd try not to use them, but they were there when I needed. This helped out a lot mentally, and sometimes I used them, sometimes I didn't have to.

Just keep going with the rotation. You'll do great!
MAINTENANCE since 11/12/11, & have lost more weight. I shake things up all the time with my version of Pirate Jenny's MUDDD, my "Fast 5" & other IF. ...low-moderate fat....and eating "healthy" foods 75+% of the time which lets me have real life and indulgences too I've reached my goals, improved my health & appearance, and enjoy my lifetime woe!
sophiethecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 01:36 PM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: InTheLight
Stats: 255/235/160 -- 5'7" tall
WOE: Low carb/cutting back
Start Date: Re-starting strong!! June 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by wifeofseth View Post
I think my issue is the shake and soup. I need crunch. A celery stick with hummus tides me over for hours. This weekend I'm going to go through the recipe threads and put a real plan in place. Thank you so much for the advice!
When you mentioned crunch, I thought of my breakfast, which was measured fiber plus cinnamon oat cereal, measured and poured into a sandwich bag, and I crunched on that for breakfast, kept me very satisfied. Did an Atkins shake for lunchtime, and I'm looking forward to my stirfry for dinner tonight. I will have to try the boiled eggs for a breakfast though, I hear that is also a good choice. I'm a newbie, and I'm just getting it into my head that whatever I see, I can have that tomorrow if I want it on my UD - there were leftover donuts here at work, and I just looked at them and kept on going, knowing that I could go get one for breakfast tomorrow, but my menu is already planned in ************, which will be a delicious, filling bagel w/cream cheese, yes!

I've got brand new knees, a wonderful Blessing from the Lord!!!

Last edited by InTheLight; 03-15-2012 at 01:38 PM..
InTheLight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 01:52 PM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: DD80
Stats: 188/165.0/145 5'10"
WOE: Organic GrassFed Gluten-Free 5/13 Dairy Free 2/14
Start Date: 1/10/12 Medi, 2/9/12 First UD, 1/1/13 New Plan
You didn't fail! Don't worry...you will be fine. You might be really hungry for the rest of the day, but a little bit over won't kill you.

I do higher DDs because I need a little bit more food. Mine end up being around 600-700. My last one was 455 and that was TOUGH! Today's was supposed to be 450, but I added an ounce of almonds, so it's about 650. Sometimes I need it!

Just keep plugging along. You are doing well!
DD80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 02:01 PM   #19
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: No Diet = No Stress! Just eating healthy!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momto2boysNJ View Post
I think your down fall is that 500 calorie shake. 20 oz is not enough to get through the day no matter how lightly you sip it!

Today is my first DD too. I've had 2 coffee/vanilla protein shake drinks (half a shake each) for a total of 100 calories & a protein bar that was 100 calories.

I'm kind of hungry, but not hungry enough for a hard boiled egg so it might be "mouth hungry" I still have 300 calories to go and 9 hours to spread it over. OH and have to make dinner for everyone else too. darn
I agree with Momto2boysNJ here and also want to add this for you and Mom! EAT REAL FOOD!! Make lots of good, low calorie choices like veggies, fruits and very lean proteins. I could NEVER do a shake and ask myself to make it last all day long! I would have failed, too. I eat good on my DDs. Yesterday I had a burger in a wrap with cheese, mustard and ketchup and that was just dinner. Oatmeal for breakfast, cheese and crackers for lunch with cucumber kimchee, plus lots of tea/coffee/club soda and a few other snacks, too. My total calories for yesterday were 700, which I do in maintenance.

The DD recipe thread has SO many great recipes and even if you don't want to cook I just found some freezer dinners that are 170 and 180 calories. I bought these just in case of a DD when I won't have time to cook, but being prepared is one way to make those DDs work the best!!

HTH

A man asked Gautama Buddha, "I want happiness." Buddha said, "First remove "I," that's Ego, then remove "want," that's Desire. See now you are left with only "Happiness.”

Last edited by Beeb; 03-15-2012 at 02:04 PM..
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 04:50 PM   #20
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
Don't worry. Some of us sail right into DDs. And some of us have to adjust. Fortunately, because DD is a natural process, most of us make the adjustment over a short time.

You didn't fail. You just learned you need crunch.

Read the recipes, plan your crunchy DDs, all will be well.
gotsomeold is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 04:58 PM   #21
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: krow134
Stats: 207 starting weight in 2012
WOE: Atkins
Can I suggest something about the shake........make the shake then take a regular smaller glass add ice and a little of your shake and then you can sip from the smaller glass. I found I cant drink things to fast when its to cold. And the smaller glass will help with two things.....1 keep from watering it down and 2 make you THINK your having more than you are!
krow134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 05:08 PM   #22

Gallery: Momto2boysNJ
Stats: 2 be Physically Fit
WOE: LC for ME!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeb View Post
I agree with Momto2boysNJ here and also want to add this for you and Mom! EAT REAL FOOD!! Make lots of good, low calorie choices like veggies, fruits and very lean proteins.
I am!
Momto2boysNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 05:33 PM   #23
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: b_lou_who
Stats: 2014 was195/now186.9 5'7" 44
WOE: whole organic low-sugars IF vegan
Start Date: 1997
I would try not doing sweet on down days. Eat some food girl!
there are lots of low Cal choices you can make to even eat three meals.

I often do 1 cupunsweetened vanilla almond milk with 1tbsp white chia gelled overnight for under 100 Cal in the morning, you can add a dash of cinnamon. It really gives me energy and keeps me going. The ubiquitous cabbage dishes we all eat are real and filling for under 200 Cal a meal. Salad and a good meat choice is easy. Check out the dd recipe sticky!
b_lou_who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 06:55 PM   #24
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: No Diet = No Stress! Just eating healthy!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momto2boysNJ View Post
I am!
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 05:26 AM   #25

Gallery: Pami
WOE: LC JUDDD

"In great attempts it is glorious even to fail."

Vince Lombardi

"You may be disappointed if you fail, but you are doomed if you don't try."
Beverly Sills
Pami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 05:38 AM   #26
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Avicenna
Stats: 215/190's/somewhere in the 170's
WOE: Paleo/primal 80/20
Start Date: July 2011 (JUDDD in February 2012)
Hi,

I am not sure if anyone on the board does this, but sometimes I have been taking hoodia supplements (which are available at health food stores and reduce appetite) on DD's, and that might help.
Avicenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 05:47 AM   #27
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lisamt
Stats: 200/187/130
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: December 2012
I'm not doing JUDDD but I find soup to be very filling on days when I just can't seem to tame the hunger monster. I use my blender to whizz vegetables and broth, then add seasoning and heat on the stove. Yesterday I got in 1 1/2 cups of broccoli by making soup - I could never eat that amount of veggies in whole form in one meal.
lisamt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 08:07 AM   #28
Junior LCF Member

You all have been SO helpful! My husband decided, as I whined in his lap, lol, that maybe putting a real plan together and giving it a fresh start on Monday might be the best idea. I believe he's right. So, here's to a weekend of all the butter and bacon I can handle, and a fresh start Monday.
Right now my plans are huge salads (YUM!) with different low-fat cheeses and proteins and some yummy dressings on top for lunch and dinner, hard boiled eggs with spicy mustard for breakfast, snacks consisting of fruits, veggies, and wasa crackers, and dinner will be whatever everyone else is eating- just smaller portions paired with a veg of some sort. I will definitely check the dd recipe threads.
The support here is so fantastic. I'm sure I can do this. =D
Old 03-16-2012, 08:10 AM   #29
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Yam-Yam
Stats: 230/191/165 @5'9"tall and 60 yrs. alive
WOE: Dukan 8/1/11 and now JUDDD
Start Date: 8/1/11 RE-start 1/1/14
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisamt View Post
I'm not doing JUDDD but I find soup to be very filling on days when I just can't seem to tame the hunger monster. I use my blender to whizz vegetables and broth, then add seasoning and heat on the stove. Yesterday I got in 1 1/2 cups of broccoli by making soup - I could never eat that amount of veggies in whole form in one meal.
I love soup! I make a huge pot of fresh veggie soup at the beginning of each week. DH and I eat it every day. As the week goes along, I add things to it like sometimes leftover basmatti brown rice or chicken or beef slices.
Yam-Yam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 02:18 PM   #30
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mykidsteacher
Stats: 152/134/125 5'4"
WOE: Primal as of Aug 2011/JUDDD (started 1/13/12)
Start Date: Aug 2011/I've been maintaining since April 2012
Sounds like a good plan WOS. I'm sure Monday will go much better. And as has been said, totally ok to work your way down if you need to. Make your plan, and then put 100 extra calories "in reserve" if you need them. I did this, and most of the time, I didn't use them. Just having them available took away the "I can't" mindset. On the times I did use them, it wasn't a big deal because I had given myself permission to do so. So mental, but real nonetheless.

Just wanted to mention that I found artificial sweeteners give me wicked cravings, so something to take into account. Protein helps me a lot.