Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2012, 04:45 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: norwegianwife
Stats: 195/169/160
WOE: JUDDD
SHOCKED by my blood sugar! Could JUDDD cure diabetes???

Hey everyone.
I started Judding about 4-6 weeks ago and have had great results. Am down about 7 pounds and my DD's average about 800 calories and my UD's average around 1800-2000. I've yet to do a week 'correctly', meaning, my weekends often turn into an UD and a MD, followed by another UD, but my results are fine for me and moving in the right direction, so I'm not too concerned.

I am also a type 2 diabetic. I am an old pro, diagnosed over 5 years ago and have tried everything to 'reverse' my diabetes. You can read about my journey here where I write a column for DLife. If you are interested google Kathryn Foss Bio Dlife.

All that too say, I thought I had seen EVERYTHING.

Now, that has changed.

I am too the point where I don't test my blood sugar that often. I know what foods work for me and which ones don't. I generally eat pretty low carb and only test when I eat something that is carb intensive.

Yesterday was an UD for me. I made fettuccine alfredo. I had at least 2 cups of egg noodles. Typically, this translates into a diabetic nightmare for me and I usually will pop a couple of mettformin to counteract the high glucose.

So, as usual after eating a high carb meal, I tested my blood at 2 hours after eating and usually, it would be around 180 (10.0 mmol). Well, my monitor said 135! I thought, surely that is wrong and tested again. Same result. 135 is in the normal range, high end, but still.

then this morning I tested my fasting blood sugar which normally sits between 125-135. Today it was 100!!!! Again, high end of NORMAL!

what in the HECK is going on?????
I did a quick google search and found some interesting reading on benefits of intermittent fasting on diabetes...

I am intrigued! Could I have stumbled upon a cure unwittingly????

ALL of this slightly winded post to ask, have any other fellow diabetic Judders noticed any improvements of your diabetes? Surely I cannot be the only one?

Needless to say, i will increase testing and keep good records and report back!

I LOVE JUDDD!!!!!!

wow.
norwegianwife is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-15-2012, 05:06 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: sterlinggirl
Stats: 225/166/165 48 5'9.. 11-18-14 #176.
WOE: JUDDD FOR LIFE!
Start Date: Jan 2012. Name Kimberly
im glad you stumbled on to something is working for you!!
sterlinggirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 05:40 AM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Jbinme
I'm so excited for you! I hope that's what's happening. I'll look forward to hearing your updates.
Jbinme is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 05:59 AM   #4
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: No Diet = No Stress! Just eating healthy!
OMG This to me is just amazing! I have always known our JUDDD is a great WOE but to see your thread/post I'm not totally convinced you may be on to something even more wonderful about JUDDD!

I'm off to tell a friend about this and maybe it will help him, too!
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 06:08 AM   #5
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/150/150
WOE: Whatever plan keeps me around 150 lbs!
I can't remember where exactly I read it, but I know I read something about JUDDD or another form of intermittent fasting having a positive effect on Type 2, but not on Type 1, diabetes. I hope you continue to have great results with your blood sugar and with your journey on JUDDD.
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 06:08 AM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
Congratulations on the weight loss!!!

I am not diabetic. But I believe that pattern has been reported before. As the sun moves over the continent, I suspect you will get some really interesting replies.

I have noticed the blood glucose spike/drop I used to feel after eating sweets/starchy carbs has vanished.
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 06:49 AM   #7

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
The effect you are seeing is not an isolated phenomena, as fasting is known to improve our response to insulin, decrease our metabolic resistance, stabilize and normalize our blood sugar levels, and.. basically.. make our bodies work more like they were designed to work in this area.

So you are not alone. I think you are experiencing this a bit earlier in your journey than some, but it is not an unexpected gift from fasting, and by extension, JUDDD. Many people who are pre-diabetic and who have truly already become type 2s now will experience a return to normal insulin responses and the normal rising and falling of blood sugar levels as they eat the varying diets they choose.

If people didn't focus their interest so much on their weight losses on JUDDD, and instead delved more deeply into the healing aspects of fasting, especially alternate day fasting, they would REALLY become excited! Because all of the ways their bodies are going to be healed and their health is going to be improved is truly the blessing here.

Woo Hoo. LOL
Old 03-15-2012, 07:25 AM   #8
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: OndoGirl
Stats: 242/195.6/135
WOE: JUDDD 1800/0-700
Start Date: ATKINS 10-2011/ JUDDD 1-2012 (SW: 217)
This is great news!

I read a study that mentions this:

Alternate-day fasting in nonobese subjects: effects on body weight, body composition, and energy metabolism.

Alternate-day fasting in nonobese subjects: e... [Am J Clin Nutr. 2005] - PubMed - NCBI

Here is an excerpt:

RESULTS: Subjects lost 2.5 +/- 0.5% of their initial body weight (P < 0.001) and 4 +/- 1% of their initial fat mass (P < 0.001). Hunger increased on the first day of fasting and remained elevated (P < 0.001). RMR and RQ did not change significantly from baseline to day 21, but RQ decreased on day 22 (P < 0.001), which resulted in an average daily increase in fat oxidation of > or =15 g. Glucose and ghrelin did not change significantly from baseline with alternate-day fasting, whereas fasting insulin decreased 57 +/- 4% (P < 0.001).
OndoGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 07:33 AM   #9
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sazzie
Stats: HW164/maintaining 135-139
That is absolutely exciting news to me!

I've been tempted to introduce dh (Type 2) to JUDDD, but have held back. He has fasted in the past with no ill effects and feels mighty good when he does fast.

I will make sure he speaks with his doctor first before doing it on a regular basis.

I'm so happy that you're seeing these positive results!!
sazzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 07:45 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: leonak
Stats: 122/113.5/110-114
Start Date: Start 2-1-14
What great news, so happy for you.

It was on TV a couple times here in the US about diet and diabetes it was for type 2 diabetes. They said diet was the answer for many and many went on a diet, lost weight and not longer have
diabetes!

So very happy for you!

Leona
leonak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 08:40 AM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: E.W.
Stats: 312/310/ a lot less
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: restart again 10/27/2014
I am a type 2 diabetic as well and JUDDD is helping my diabetes also. But Dr. Johnson
does say that some diabetics may not be able to follow this WOE.
E.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 08:48 AM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Grace
I have read also that IF will help insulin sensitivity. I've been diagnosed as "pre" but I really think that's a misnomer. I take Metformin. Mine has never gone over 150 even after a meal but it's high when I wake up - 125-130 and that was on LC. I quit losing weight a long time ago on low carb but kept doing it thinking I needed it to keep from having blood sugar spikes. I've been doing JUDDD 2 months now with a 15 pound loss. I took it a couple of weeks ago and it was still 118 in the morning. After reading your post I took it this morning after an up day with protein, a little piece of cake, some macaroni and a roll and it's 73!!! I'm in shock!! I'm so glad you posted this. It may never be this low again but at least I got to see it! Wouldn't it just be a miracle if we could fix our Type 2 with this wonderful way of eating???? Whoohoo!!
Grace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 08:48 AM   #13
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: MintQ8
Stats: 267.6/257/140
WOE: JUDDD/Paul McKenna
Start Date: 9 Nov 2014
Hmmm - interesting. DH is type II too, not heavily overweight - but could happily lose a few kilos and drop his blood readings (although they're still not bad - and after 5 years he hasn't had to move onto any drugs - yet)

I wonder if I could get him to eat 1000 cals every other day!??? Unfortunately he's the cook. He also gets 'shaky' if he doesn't eat regularly -I've tried to get him to eat protein and fats - explaining these will help keep him full longer and not affect his blood sugar levels. I'm trying to say that he'll say he can't eat that little!!!
Old 03-15-2012, 09:48 AM   #14
Junior LCF Member

I just find this whole thing CRAZY! I am not very overweight and after a lot of testing, including genetic, because I didn't fit the 'type 2 profile', it was determined that I was just a genetic type 2 diabetic. That no matter how thin I became, I wouldn't be able to reverse it. I take Mettformin and inject Victoza, but in 5 years, I have NEVER seen numbers like these!

Quote:
After reading your post I took it this morning after an up day with protein, a little piece of cake, some macaroni and a roll and it's 73!!! I'm in shock!! I'm so glad you posted this. It may never be this low again but at least I got to see it! Wouldn't it just be a miracle if we could fix our Type 2 with this wonderful way of eating???? Whoohoo!!
Grace!! I know! I was 100 after a pasta night! I can't wait to test in the morning after a low day! I am hopefully optimistic that I may have found a key for me here. How awesome!

MintQ8, I eat an average of 800 UD's...and it gets easier and easier. Hopefully you can convince him to give it a go. At least he knows it works from watching your progress!!

Quote:
I am a type 2 diabetic as well and JUDDD is helping my diabetes also. But Dr. Johnson
does say that some diabetics may not be able to follow this WOE.
EW, I think this is in regards to medicated diabetics, especially insulin dependent.

Thanks everyone for the encouragement! Will update with numbers again later!!
Old 03-15-2012, 10:22 AM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: synger
Stats: Start: 310 Current: 259
WOE: Calorie and carb counting, IR Diet framework
Start Date: IR/PCOS: Dx pre-diabetic 3/2010
I am pre-D, and very insulin resistant. Combining the JUDDD framework with moderate carb eating has brought my post-prandial sugars well into normal ranges. Moderate carb itself worked for post-prandials, but the only time I see normal fasting readings is the morning after a DD.

I'm hopeful that as I continue with JUDDD, I will become more insulin sensitive, and my fastings will come down on post-UD mornings, too. It wouldn't surprise me. Fasting has some AMAZING benefits!
synger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 01:26 PM   #16
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sunday
Stats: 225/145/ ...
WOE: Perfect Health Diet- 16hr Daily Fast
Start Date: JUDDD - 2/01/12 Began at 200, Goal 130
Wow! Great news! Love to hear this!!!
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 04:35 AM   #17
Junior LCF Member

My fasting bloodsugar today was 92!!!
STUNNED!!!!
This is just amazing!
Old 03-16-2012, 05:49 AM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Jbinme
Jbinme is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 06:10 AM   #19
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
Oh Norway, what amazing news!
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 07:51 AM   #20
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: sophiethecat
Stats: 170+/135-138/145 5'6 39y pcos/IR/metformin
WOE: WL=LC then JUDDD/IF; Maintenance=IF/75%+ "healthy"
Start Date: LC 6/11; JUDDD 10/11; Maintenance 11/11
This is awesome stuff for sure, NW! I will be following this with great interest.
sophiethecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 03:18 PM   #21
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mykidsteacher
Stats: 152/134/125 5'4"
WOE: Primal as of Aug 2011/JUDDD (started 1/13/12)
Start Date: Aug 2011/I've been maintaining since April 2012
Very cool!
mykidsteacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 05:55 PM   #22
Senior LCF Member

Location: Smack Dab in the center of Arkansas (Go Razorbacks!)
Gallery: arkie1
Stats: 286 highest 257/250.8/??
WOE: Low Carb-IF/cngd d to JUDDD/lc on 2/9/12 (230)
Start Date: Feb 8, 2010 IF ON 8-14-11
I wanted to add that this is FANTASTIC news, and to also bump this to the top again. (They get down to the bottom so fast!!!) I am also type 2, and have higher than normal fasting BS in the mornings, and can spike after enjoying some of my favorite dishes. Right now, I am out of test strips, and can't get any until Wednesday, but you can be sure I will be testing, and report back. Thank you for posting this incredible news!

Carole
arkie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 10:16 AM   #23
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: sophiethecat
Stats: 170+/135-138/145 5'6 39y pcos/IR/metformin
WOE: WL=LC then JUDDD/IF; Maintenance=IF/75%+ "healthy"
Start Date: LC 6/11; JUDDD 10/11; Maintenance 11/11
from Wikipedia:

Sirtuin 1 is downregulated in cells that have high insulin resistance and inducing its expression increases insulin sensitivity, suggesting the molecule is associated with improving insulin sensitivity.
sophiethecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 10:28 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by sophiethecat View Post
from Wikipedia:

Sirtuin 1 is downregulated in cells that have high insulin resistance and inducing its expression increases insulin sensitivity, suggesting the molecule is associated with improving insulin sensitivity.
Thanks for posting this tidbit, sophiethecat.

I don't think people really grasp the immense aspects of healing to their bodies and the great improvement that including some fasting in their weekly feeding will bring about!

People know that weight loss will improve their health. And they expect it to improve their blood sugar and/or their blood pressure and/or their pain level, etc.

But I think if more knew of what benefit this simple JUDDD plan would be to their health, you couldn't fight them away with a big stick!

Yes, an increased response to insulin, reduction of metabolic resistance, basically.. making your nasty Type 2 go away.. is pretty exciting, but not out of the ordinary results JUDDDers who are true to the plan experience.

Continued success and continued improving good health, norwegianwife. I'm very happy for you! Woo Hoo!
SoHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 12:02 PM   #25
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: DD80
Stats: 188/165.0/145 5'10"
WOE: Organic GrassFed Gluten-Free 5/13 Dairy Free 2/14
Start Date: 1/10/12 Medi, 2/9/12 First UD, 1/1/13 New Plan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeb View Post
OMG This to me is just amazing! I have always known our JUDDD is a great WOE but to see your thread/post I'm not totally convinced you may be on to something even more wonderful about JUDDD!

I'm off to tell a friend about this and maybe it will help him, too!
That is amazing!
DD80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 05:52 PM   #26
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: dutty
Stats: 183/182/135
WOE: Jaminet Perfect Health/Fasting
Start Date: 3/20/12
bumping for awesomeness.

I'm a type II and My PP sugars are always decent but my Lord, my fasting SUCK! It would be awesome to see this trend continue as I'm considering incorporating JUDDD into my regimen.
dutty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 06:11 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutty View Post
bumping for awesomeness.

I'm a type II and My PP sugars are always decent but my Lord, my fasting SUCK! It would be awesome to see this trend continue as I'm considering incorporating JUDDD into my regimen.
Crossing fingers like crazy!
Old 03-21-2012, 11:38 AM   #28
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: thomasina838
WOE: JUDDD & paleo
Start Date: 16 Feb 2012
it is not necessarily JUDDD. but there are lots of health benefits associated with reduced calorie intake. google CRON, calorie reduction optimal nutrition. and you will find studies going back many years demonstrating that. the problem is that not many people can do it indefinitely. that is where JUDDD comes in; makes it possible to do the restricted cals for a long time.
thomasina838 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 02:00 PM   #29
Junior LCF Member

well, just like the scale bounces, the blood sugar does to. I've had some great numbers his last week, but also some numbers that make me go 'What??'.

So, I don't know. Going to keep tracking and see if I can't see some patterns!

It's so interesting!!!
Old 03-27-2012, 02:08 PM   #30

Thanks for updating this subject.

I expect it isn't anything that JUDDD can deal with 100% in such a short time, but I do know it is supposed to be a big, big help, so I will be interested in hearing back from you after you have tracked for awhile.