Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2012, 11:11 AM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Truffles
Stats: 142/125/128 JUDDD
WOE: LC&JUDDD
Start Date: 3/11 LC - 1/12 LC/JUDDD
Adding Carbs...

I have added some carbs recently and saw a JUMP in numbers!!

134.8 on Monday (after DD)
137 on Tues (after UD)
137.5 on Wed (after 800 calorie DD)

I plan on having my UD today, as yesterday was not even high enough to be a MD!!

The odd thing is my pants seem to fit the same?

I am going to keep plugging along with this DD's are a breeze for me till I get home from work and go to heat up my before bed snack- and find that my loving boyfriend has left pizza in the microwave! Thick crust even!!
We have discussed and he will be putting his leftovers AWAY! Not his fault- my willpower but annoying none the less! I can ignore food all day long working at a restaurant.. but his leftovers need to be eaten by me for some reason!

Anyway... I was wondering about other lowcarbers that are adding back in carbs. It seems that I can go days and weeks without wanting carbs, and don't eat them. Then for a few days I eat some and gain, but don't want them again for a while... Will this cause me to gain EVERY time?? And if you eat carbs all the time does this even out? I really don't want to go above around 60 average for UD's with an occasional higher day I'm sure.

Just confused I guess!

Any thoughts??

Sponsored Links
Old 03-14-2012, 11:15 AM   #2
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: AbbieTheOptimist
Stats: My goal is 140-145 pounds
WOE: JUDDD-started 3/12/12
Start Date: 1/15/2012
Sorry, I don't have any input, but you're asking really good questions - I'm curious too!
AbbieTheOptimist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 11:19 AM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: sterlinggirl
Stats: 225/166/165 47 5'9
WOE: JUDDD FOR LIFE!
Start Date: Jan 2012. Name Kimberly
Well i am to afraid to put the "real " ones back in.. i only take in the ones that come from fruit, veggys and like the salad dressings cheese and things like that as well as low carb bread.. what i did discover is making my own pizza from Flat out bread.. put all the veggys and cheese and meats you want on it with no sauce in the oven for like 10 mitues and i have swore off real pizza ever since.. its better than any pizza i could buy for sure!! ( i sautae my toppings befroe putting in the oven) if you apply olive oil to the flat out wrap both sides and place in oven for like 2 to 3 mintues then top and put back in for 7 mitues for chesse to melt OMG is it great and i dont feel lke i missed anything!!
sterlinggirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 11:37 AM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
This is normal. Do not panic.

Your body has forgotten how to handle carbs. Said carbs are swooshing into water weight. Most or all of the weight jump should melt away with the next DD. And, over time your body will get used to refined carbs/sweets and the bug bounces will probably level out.

I have added starchy/sweet carbs very slowly. At first they kind of made me hungry and definitely made my weight bounce up. I still don't eat a lot of them (prefer veg & meat). But these days I can even eat a little rice on DD and still lose.
STILL below goal 2/15/14

I did not "lose" weight. I evicted it. It is gone and it ain't coming back!

JUDDD cares about calories. JUDDD does not care what you eat. Your body probably does.
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 11:49 AM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: vilanteira
Stats: in maintenance
WOE: juddd/low carb
Start Date: low carb: 2008, juddd: 10/24/11
I eat higher carb days sometimes once a week or maybe a couple times a month, and also when there are certain events or holidays. I'm the same way where I'm happy eating low carb most days and then I'll get a taste for something higher carb (almost always rice or rice-noodle related: sushi! pho! jambalaya! firey spicy indian curries that need some rice to tone down!) and I'll eat it then be perfectly happy to eat low carb for a while again.

Since I usually eat fairly low carb, when I do eat significantly higher carb, it always makes me gain at least 1-2 lbs over the next 1-3 days (it doesn't usually show up the very next day for me), but the weight always goes back down about 2-3 days later because it's just water weight. My water weight never goes back down immediately the next day either.

As you said though, your clothes aren't any tighter, and that's because it's just water weight. Not to worry, it'll go down. Just continue sticking to your UD and DD rotation.

Last edited by vilanteira; 03-14-2012 at 11:50 AM..
vilanteira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 11:50 AM   #6
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/150/150
WOE: Whatever plan keeps me around 150 lbs!
I have carbs all the time. It's less on DDs just because my volume of food is less. I don't seem to have really big bounces, though I do have them. They just don't seem to be the big 3+ lb bounces I see which seems to correlate with the "intermittent carbing."
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 12:05 PM   #7
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Yam-Yam
Stats: 230/191/165 @5'9"tall and 60 yrs. alive
WOE: Dukan 8/1/11 and now JUDDD
Start Date: 8/1/11 RE-start 1/1/14
People who eat carbohydrates every single day do not notice the weight swings as much. If they went a few days just eating protein, their scale weight would drop quite a bit. But it would only be water they are dropping. I think they know it.

I got great info about this from Dr. Dukan's book. He explained how it is normal and HEALTHY for our body tissues, muscles, organs to suck up the nutrient rich fluid from complex carbohydrates like vegetables and grains and such.

If you were to eat a lot of carbs every single day, your body would continually be soaking up the carbs like a sponge and processing them, getting all the healthy vitamins and minerals to your brain, organs and muscles. Remember that muscles are made up of 70% water.

Like many LCer's I don't eat carbohydrates every single day. When I do, they are mostly non-starchy vegetables and then whole grain pasta, oat bran, stuff like that. But that is just my choice right now. I might change my mind one day.

Sunday was supposed to be a DD for me but my body and my brain told me they needed some healthy carbs. I deliberately decided to have a MD and face the music. Even though I was looking forward to that scale drop I usually get after a DD, I was willing to give it up and be in tune with my body.

Yesterday was an UD and I had a very moderate amount of carbs. The scale went up 2 pounds! But, it was way down after Monday's DD and I know it's going to go down by tomorrow.

In fact, a few hours after weighing in this morning I was getting ready to step in the shower and decided to check the scale because I can actually feel my body releasing the water (from which, remember, my body has extracted important nutrients).

The scale was down -1.5 from this morning! And that was only 3 hours after my morning weigh in. Pretty cool. Means I can look forward to a good number tomorrow if I keep it real low carb today.

Dukan and Powell and other carb/protein cycling proponents talk about the fat burning power of high protein days and the metabolism boosting power of protein plus carbohydrate days. So, remember: Carbs plus protein will boost your metabolism making it revved up (and making the scale "boost" up a bit as well the morning after. Don't be sceered! It's all good!). Lean protein whenever you can fit it into your eating plan will burn fat and if you can do lean protein, lots of water and low carb on a DD, you will most likely see the scale go down the next morning.

As Dr. O says, "Make Sense?" lol.

"Weight loss isn't about winning a race; it's about crossing the finish line at your own pace." -Dianna Rodriguiz

current numbers: 1975/395
goal numbers: 1700/350 (just a reminder)
Yam-Yam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 12:10 PM   #8
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: sophiethecat
Stats: 170+/135-138/145 5'6 39y pcos/IR/metformin
WOE: WL=LC then JUDDD/IF; Maintenance=IF/75%+ "healthy"
Start Date: LC 6/11; JUDDD 10/11; Maintenance 11/11
Yes, it's just water weight. I know the scale is scary when you get on one day and see a 3# gain, but remember, it's water from eating carbohydrates.

And ~eventually~ those of us who regularly eat higher on the carb-chain seem to have fewer big bounces than those who stick to LC but occasionally indulge.
sophiethecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 12:12 PM   #9
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeirasMom View Post
I have carbs all the time. It's less on DDs just because my volume of food is less. I don't seem to have really big bounces, though I do have them. They just don't seem to be the big 3+ lb bounces I see which seems to correlate with the "intermittent carbing."

That was exactly my point and you said it so much better and more concisely than I did!!! Your body is continually processing carbs now because you trained it to. It sucks up the fluid and nutrients, releases it and then rinse repeat. Thus, the bounces in scale are not so humungous.

I kinda wish sometimes I would have been brave enough to do like you did and just eat carbs for a few days before starting. But I was into LC since August and could not face seeing the numbers go back up, even a few pounds, and stay there as my new low. I'm a whimp and a baby about this right now.
Old 03-14-2012, 12:16 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yam-Yam View Post

That was exactly my point and you said it so much better and more concisely than I did!!! Your body is continually processing carbs now because you trained it to. It sucks up the fluid and nutrients, releases it and then rinse repeat. Thus, the bounces in scale are not so humungous.

I kinda wish sometimes I would have been brave enough to do like you did and just eat carbs for a few days before starting. But I was into LC since August and could not face seeing the numbers go back up, even a few pounds, and stay there as my new low. I'm a whimp and a baby about this right now.
I think it was easier for me because I had a LOT to lose and hadn't already lost a bunch. I just said, "What the heck. What's it going to hurt?" Now if I was closer to goal, those few pounds might have hurt more. Honestly, I never thought I'd get this far, so one weekend wasn't going to affect me all that much.
Old 03-14-2012, 12:40 PM   #11
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: adillenal
I am also a carb eater every day. That was the purpose of going with JUDDD. So I can eat whatever I want. My bounces are usually a pound unless I get into the salty stuff. Then it is more like a 3 pound bounce but it is only water retention and will go away. I do not see carbs as the enemy. I eat oat groats, oat bran, oat flour pancakes, whole wheat toast, sweet potatoes, white potatoes and so on. And yes, the random white flour product and my every other day GooGoo Cluster.
I have some whole wheat in my freezer that I got in SD that I sometimes grind and make bread for DH but next time I get to eat it too.
181.0/168.0/145 07/25/11 The Rice Diet
181.4/179.0/145 Atkins 72 10/31/11
180/132/139 JUDDD 01/01/2011
157/148/139 JUDDD 07/28/2014
adillenal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 02:59 PM   #12

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/137/126 5'3" Age 67
WOE: JUDDD restart 8/25/2014
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
I love eating a huge variety of Carbs again after years and years eating LC.

Cooking is a joy again and all my old cookbooks are getting used once more.
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 10:54 AM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Truffles
Stats: 142/125/128 JUDDD
WOE: LC&JUDDD
Start Date: 3/11 LC - 1/12 LC/JUDDD
Well after my UD yesterday... and eating a Home Grilled NY Strip Sandwich- with french bread. And 1 cookie. (the rest of the day was low in carbs) I weighed in at 136.2 Down 1.3 from yesterday.

Who knows what causes the ups and downs sometimes... but I did have carbs yesterday and that didn't seem to make much of a difference!!
Truffles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 11:27 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truffles View Post
Well after my UD yesterday... and eating a Home Grilled NY Strip Sandwich- with french bread. And 1 cookie. (the rest of the day was low in carbs) I weighed in at 136.2 Down 1.3 from yesterday.

Who knows what causes the ups and downs sometimes... but I did have carbs yesterday and that didn't seem to make much of a difference!!
Don't get frustrated if you see an increase tomorrow, even after a really good DD today. Happens to me all the time, but the trend is downward! Hopefully, you'll be one of the lucky few who don't bounce too much.
Old 03-16-2012, 09:22 AM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Babsbabs
Stats: HW203 SW163.8/145.8/145
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: March 2012
Thank you Truffles for asking this question! Also Thank you to all who answered! I was wondering about this but was just going to see how things went with adding the carbs back into my diet. I ate carbs the week before I started JUDDD and was up about a pound and a half from my usual stubborn set point of 162. I thought that I would try JUDDD with carbs and then take them out if I couldn't lose weight. I don't know yet how it will go (only on day 5). I am below 162 after a huge up day so I hope it works. I also hope that I can learn a bit of restraint on not eating all the foods I have missed in one day.
Babsbabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 12:28 PM   #16
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: adillenal
I probably overdid the carbs the first month since I had been deprived for so long but that has settled down and I still get to enjoy anything I so desire. So hang in there and enjoy.
adillenal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 05:18 PM   #17
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by adillenal View Post
I probably overdid the carbs the first month since I had been deprived for so long but that has settled down and I still get to enjoy anything I so desire. So hang in there and enjoy.
I did the same thing off and on for about the first two weeks and saw HUGE bounces up in the scale. So, I pulled back on carbs and the scale went back down.

Then I started introducing them every now and then and would pull back if I thought my cravings were coming back.

Yesterday I had a huge carb fest on my UD but still stuck to my 1900 UD calorie limit. This morning my scale was not up by much and I was soooooo surprised.

I have been drinking lots of water today and could just feel my body releasing lots of extra fluid and I have had more energy than I know what to do with on a DD when I usually just relax.

So, out of curiosity I stepped on the scale a few minutes ago and I'm at my new LOW low -- in the afternoon --- whaaaaaa???? Really????? I'm figuring all the carbs yesterday set my metabolism on FIRE!

In my head I'm chanting "this is the magic! this is the magic!" I'm on my way. Carbs or not, JUDD is really kicking in for me. I feel it.
Old 03-16-2012, 05:29 PM   #18
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: shirlc
Stats: 144/128.5/130-5'5"
WOE: Low/Mod Carb, JUDDD (JUDDD, 10/25/11 at 141.5)
Start Date: March, 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlinggirl View Post
Well i am to afraid to put the "real " ones back in.. i only take in the ones that come from fruit, veggys and like the salad dressings cheese and things like that as well as low carb bread.. what i did discover is making my own pizza from Flat out bread.. put all the veggys and cheese and meats you want on it with no sauce in the oven for like 10 mitues and i have swore off real pizza ever since.. its better than any pizza i could buy for sure!! ( i sautae my toppings befroe putting in the oven) if you apply olive oil to the flat out wrap both sides and place in oven for like 2 to 3 mintues then top and put back in for 7 mitues for chesse to melt OMG is it great and i dont feel lke i missed anything!!

Hey, Sterlinggirl, this really sounds good to me...I'm going to try it!

I love, love, love simple recipies that don't have a ton of ingredients or a whole bunch of steps!
shirlc is offline   Reply With Quote