Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2012, 09:16 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Gweebles
Stats: 26w/24w/8
WOE: JUDDD convert 2720/544
Start Date: JUDDD 3/6/12
UD question Chinese Buffet?

I am off today so I promised my daughter I would take her out to eat. She chose Chinese Buffet, which is my kryptonite. I am not a huge veggie lover so I eat the wings and sweet and sour chicken. Sometimes I get the sesame chicken. Today is my UD which means according to the calculator I am allowed 2700 calories but I try to just aim for 2000. Should I make the buffet my only meal of the day? I really don't want to sit there with scales and measure my food I would probably get weird looks.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-12-2012, 09:25 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: vilanteira
Stats: in maintenance
WOE: juddd/lower carb
Start Date: low carb: 2008, juddd: 10/24/11
That's what I'd do. Eat very little for most of the day and save the calories for that one meal if you know that your calories for that meal will be very high. I do plan ahead and estimate what I'll be eating and try to calculate calories and portions ahead of time to give myself an idea when I know I'll be going out, but sometimes it's just not feasible for things like buffets etc. unless you know exactly what you'll be eating ahead of time, so saving your cals for that meal is probably the easiest.
vilanteira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 09:33 AM   #3
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Yam-Yam
Stats: 230/191/165 @5'9"tall and 60 yrs. alive
WOE: Dukan 8/1/11 and now JUDDD
Start Date: 8/1/11 RE-start 1/1/14
You will probably do great! Just beware the salt intake and don't be bummed if you have some fluid retention for a few days.

I don't know how good you are at estimating calories. Usually one ounce of protein is about 50 calories. If you keep that in mind and go for the protein before anything else, you will be good. For me, I let my hunger be my guide for the rest of the day.

On UDs I don't like to restrict myself to only one meal. So, if I have to have a meal out, I start out drinking lots of water or iced tea. Then I start munching on the protein and make sure I talk a lot. Not hard for me! That gives my tummy and brain a chance to feel full. Protein combined with lots of liquid usually starts sending a message of satiation to the brain.

Go from the protein (chicken, beef, shrimp) to munching on green, non-starchy veggies. One of my favorites @ Chinese places is beef with brocolli. Also I like the chicken w/ green beans. So, move into the veggies.

I stay away from the noodles and rice. I find that I can really fill up without having those. I think a TBLSP of fat is usually around 130 calories. Figure in several TBLSP for Chinese food.

Give it a good estimation and you will probably find out you have plenty of calories left over for more food later in the day if you need it.

Good luck and I know you will do well! Whatever you do, remember that JUDD will still be workin' the magic and when you go back to your nice DD tomorrow, the fat burning will continue. Don't forget to HAVE FUN! And ENJOY!

"Weight loss isn't about winning a race; it's about crossing the finish line at your own pace." -Dianna Rodriguiz

current numbers: 1975/395
goal numbers: 1700/350 (just a reminder)
Yam-Yam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 09:36 AM   #4
Blabbermouth!!!

BTW: 3 ounces of protein is about the size of your palm. So, look at your palm, scoop that amount of chicken or beef on to your plate, figure it's about 150 calories. Keep a running total in head!
Old 03-12-2012, 09:49 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Thank you for the info. I usually do hit the fried wings first, they aren't breaded. I feel more secure about eating out now. I just don't want to see the 10 pound overnight gain I used to get when I was on Atkins. That would just about kill me. lol
Gweebles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 10:12 AM   #6
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gweebles View Post
Thank you for the info. I usually do hit the fried wings first, they aren't breaded. I feel more secure about eating out now. I just don't want to see the 10 pound overnight gain I used to get when I was on Atkins. That would just about kill me. lol

I hear ya, Sista!! I'm a LC, VLC veteran. The horrid thing about those huge gains after just even a small mistake for me was that it would NOT come back off and got harder and harder to lose it back. Often made me want to give up and so discouraged and mad at myself I would just eat MORE.

With JUDD, I've become pretty confident that there is NO WAY a big gain is a fat gain. It's mostly water. And, best of all, with a few days of rotation and sanity, it will fall away and start going down again.

Such a peaceful way to live, huh? Life and eating should be enjoyful and not stressful. That's what is so great about this woe. No stress.
Old 03-12-2012, 10:16 AM   #7
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: No Diet = No Stress! Just eating healthy!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yam-Yam View Post
I hear ya, Sista!! I'm a LC, VLC veteran. The horrid thing about those huge gains after just even a small mistake for me was that it would NOT come back off and got harder and harder to lose it back. Often made me want to give up and so discouraged and mad at myself I would just eat MORE.

With JUDD, I've become pretty confident that there is NO WAY a big gain is a fat gain. It's mostly water. And, best of all, with a few days of rotation and sanity, it will fall away and start going down again.

Such a peaceful way to live, huh? Life and eating should be enjoyful and not stressful. That's what is so great about this woe. No stress.
and just enjoy the time with your DD!! It's not about the food anyway, but I know you will do great with all the advice you got here already!!
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 10:43 AM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: DD80
Stats: 188/165.0/145 5'10"
WOE: Organic GrassFed Gluten-Free 5/13 Dairy Free 2/14
Start Date: 1/10/12 Medi, 2/9/12 First UD, 1/1/13 New Plan
When I read the title, in my head I answered, "Yes, please." So, I say have fun and just have a good DD tomorrow!

For example: I had two events this weekend: Friday was a b-day dinner with the girls (not my b-day) and Saturday was a cooking class. Friday, I did more like a mid-day (1000-1200 for the day), which I figure is more like maintenance. I didn't expect to eat that much, but it's ok...JUDDD is forgiving! Saturday, I ate pretty normally throughout the day, but could have stopped eating after a 2pm lunch of cheese/crackers and fruit. Our lovely cooking class dinner was rather small (probably normal portions ), but it was late and combined with free wine. I just had a great DD yesterday and am back on track!

Also, don't underestimate the power of JUDDD. The appetite suppression is a strange feeling for me, but it's there! It just started about a week ago (about a month on JUDDD as they say!) You might find yourself being more reasonable at the buffet. I'd put a bit of everything you like on your first plate, eat slow, and only go back for your absolute favorites. I bet you'll be full before you know it!
DD80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 12:48 PM   #9
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
Chinese buffet....count me in!
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 12:53 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: thomasina838
WOE: JUDDD & paleo
Start Date: 16 Feb 2012
Quote:
BTW: 3 ounces of protein is about the size of your palm. So, look at your palm, scoop that amount of chicken or beef on to your plate, figure it's about 150 calories. Keep a running total in head!
only if it is less than half inch thick.
thomasina838 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 04:37 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

I survived the buffet! I loaded up on the fried unbreaded wings (6 of them) before trying anything else. I did have some sweet and sour chicken but passed on the sesame chicken because I found a hair in it (EEEKK!) Good reason to not eat it.

I did share a piece of apple turnover with ice cream with the DD. It felt weird to not be scared of the carbs in it. We shall see what happens on the scale though... ugh.

All in all 2043 calories for the day.
Old 03-12-2012, 04:50 PM   #12
Blabbermouth!!!

Great job, Gweebs!!!
Old 03-12-2012, 07:56 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasina838 View Post
only if it is less than half inch thick.
I would just go with the "size of the palm of my hand" and not worry about the thickness.

Last edited by Beeb; 03-12-2012 at 08:00 PM..
Old 03-12-2012, 07:59 PM   #14

GOOD JOB!!! That is way to enjoy your food, Gweebles and not let it control you by worrying about it!! And if you under counted or over counted it will be just fine. JUDDD is like that....no need to over think everything you do with your food!!

Food should be our friends, not a vampire that sucks all the fun out of eating!!
Old 03-12-2012, 08:10 PM   #15
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: sophiethecat
Stats: 170+/135-138/145 5'6 39y pcos/IR/metformin
WOE: WL=LC then JUDDD/IF; Maintenance=IF/75%+ "healthy"
Start Date: LC 6/11; JUDDD 10/11; Maintenance 11/11
Glad you enjoyed your dinner, Gweebs! It's one meal, so in the long run it will not affect your success on JUDDD. And you were able to have a great time and enjoy your daughter.
sophiethecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 09:00 PM   #16
Senior LCF Member

LOL I am still freaking about what I ate though. 10 years of LC has my head thinking "I ate breaded WHAT?????" LOL.

Already have my food for tomorrow's DD so I won't let this panic me.. old habits die hard.
Old 03-12-2012, 09:23 PM   #17
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
LOL I am still freaking about what I ate though. 10 years of LC has my head thinking "I ate breaded WHAT?????" LOL.

Already have my food for tomorrow's DD so I won't let this panic me.. old habits die hard.
I know how you are feeling, but don't panic! Just go back and read what the previous folks posted to you. They are smart!!

One more reminder: tomorrow, if you go anywhere near the scale at any time, remember: It's only water!!! This is your mantra, "itsonlywateritsonlywateritsonlywaterahhhhhhhuuumm mmmmm...." and, it will be gone in a day or 2.
Old 03-12-2012, 09:26 PM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
I know how you are feeling, but don't panic! Just go back and read what the previous folks posted to you. They are smart!!

One more reminder: tomorrow, if you go anywhere near the scale at any time, remember: It's only water!!! This is your mantra, "itsonlywateritsonlywateritsonlywaterahhhhhhhuuumm mmmmm...." and, it will be gone in a day or 2.
I have already been saying that. "Itllonlybewateritllonlybewater"
Old 03-12-2012, 09:28 PM   #19
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
I have already been saying that. "Itllonlybewateritllonlybewater"

Good Girl!! Great minds think alike.
Old 03-13-2012, 06:40 AM   #20
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: synger
Stats: Start: 310 Current: 259
WOE: Calorie and carb counting, IR Diet framework
Start Date: IR/PCOS: Dx pre-diabetic 3/2010
I may not subscribe wholly to the calories-in/calories-out scenario, because I've found I need to restrict more than 3500 calories/week to lose 1 pound/week.

But for gains, I think it makes sense. A gain of 1 pound of FAT means I must have eaten 3500 calories. I KNOW even on my highest Up-up-and-away day that I don't eat 3500 calories MORE than my normal Up Day limit. So that gain is water. It HAS to be. So long as I get back into the cycle the next day, it will do no more than slow the loss. It will not be a true gain of fat.
Old 03-13-2012, 08:13 AM   #21
Blabbermouth!!!

Synger. Good point! That's really important to remember!

Gweebs: I came to talk you down from the ledge this morning. Just saw your update on the daily weigh in thread. Plus point 8 is not so much for a wonderful time out w/ your DD and eating what you enjoy at a Chinese Buffet!!! It will probably be gone after today and take some more point somethings along with it.

Any of us who have done LC can only imagine what that number would be and how many WEEKS LCr's have to suffer through to get it back down. You are doing great!!!!
Old 03-13-2012, 08:14 AM   #22
Blabbermouth!!!

Just occurred to me you are probably at work already and not able to post. Hope you have a fantastic day!
Old 03-13-2012, 08:35 AM   #23
Senior LCF Member

Location: Smack Dab in the center of Arkansas (Go Razorbacks!)
Gallery: arkie1
Stats: 286 highest 257/250.8/??
WOE: Low Carb-IF/cngd d to JUDDD/lc on 2/9/12 (230)
Start Date: Feb 8, 2010 IF ON 8-14-11
Hi! Quick question....I noticed that for the day, calorie wise, you were about 700 cals shy of your calculated quota, and just wonder if not eating up to your quota makes any difference, weight wise. For those that have been around awhile, would this be a help or a hinderence? Just trying to wrap my head around all the science behind JUDDD. Maybe, I'm making it more difficult than it is, but I was under the impression that we were supposed to get as close to the calculated calories as possible.

Glad you had a day to spend with your DD, and was able to eat such a great meal! JUDDD is great!!!

Carole
arkie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 01:37 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkie1 View Post
Hi! Quick question....I noticed that for the day, calorie wise, you were about 700 cals shy of your calculated quota, and just wonder if not eating up to your quota makes any difference, weight wise. For those that have been around awhile, would this be a help or a hinderence? Just trying to wrap my head around all the science behind JUDDD. Maybe, I'm making it more difficult than it is, but I was under the impression that we were supposed to get as close to the calculated calories as possible.

Glad you had a day to spend with your DD, and was able to eat such a great meal! JUDDD is great!!!

Carole
All I can say is............YOU GOTTA EAT!!
Old 03-13-2012, 09:58 PM   #25
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Just occurred to me you are probably at work already and not able to post. Hope you have a fantastic day!
Thank you. I just worry about tomorrow. When I LC'ed I went up 10 pounds of water 2 days after a carb binge. If you hear me sobbing from where you are at, you will know I did that on the scale again in the morning.

I remember my old LC days, 10 pounds up, 2 weeks to lose it and start over.
Old 03-13-2012, 10:00 PM   #26
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkie1 View Post

Carole
I just finished my first week and am still trying to figure it out too. I cannot figure out how to get 2700 calories in and to me it just seems too much, so I try to get 2000 instead. I am losing good at that so unless I stall I am going to stick with it. I fought an ED for a while and I worry that 2700 will send me into a tailspin again on that.
Old 03-14-2012, 09:38 AM   #27
Blabbermouth!!!

Gweebs: So excited to see your stats today!How awesome is that!!