Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   JUDDD (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/)
-   -   Questions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/761568-questions.html)

HellInYourEyes 03-08-2012 07:04 AM

Questions
 
I'm curious, do you start on an UD or do you start on a DD? Can you start this on say a Thursday or is it recommended for the start of a week? Are there any off limits foods or are you given a free range as long as you keep calories down a bit?

I like low carb, but am curious about this plan as well. Are the two compatible?

Thanks in advance! :)

adillenal 03-08-2012 07:09 AM

Very compatible. You can do LC or not. I choose to eat anything I want as long as the calories come in on target. I was very very tired of being carb deprived. I haven't had a salad since I started JUDDD and I do not miss them.

I really like the fact that no foods are off limits. I could do my UD's with Snicker bars as long as I stayed within my calorie range. Maybe I will try that with Goo Goo clusters. My favorite.

I do not think it matters when you start of what you start with.

sterlinggirl 03-08-2012 07:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HellInYourEyes (Post 15476777)
I'm curious, do you start on an UD or do you start on a DD? Can you start this on say a Thursday or is it recommended for the start of a week? Are there any off limits foods or are you given a free range as long as you keep calories down a bit?

I like low carb, but am curious about this plan as well. Are the two compatible?

Thanks in advance! :)

Welcome girl!!! I am new to JUDDD my self. I chose to start with a Down day my self.. You can start with either..If you woke today and started eating then i would continue to eat today and call this your UD.. if youve not eaten yet,, work on staying below 500 cal today or what ever the calculator gave you as cal goal for each day !!:heart: I my self chose to follow a moderate carb eating while i am doing this.. you can how ever eat any thing like on an up day... There is from i hear no fast rule on the foods you choose to eat.. ive lost 5 pound on this in 6 days.. doing moderate carbs, under 40- 50 per day

Pami 03-08-2012 07:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HellInYourEyes (Post 15476777)
I'm curious, do you start on an UD or do you start on a DD?

Yes
Quote:

Originally Posted by HellInYourEyes (Post 15476777)
Can you start this on say a Thursday

Yes
Quote:

Originally Posted by HellInYourEyes (Post 15476777)
or is it recommended for the start of a week?

No
Quote:

Originally Posted by HellInYourEyes (Post 15476777)
Are there any off limits foods

No
Quote:

Originally Posted by HellInYourEyes (Post 15476777)
are you given a free range as long as you keep calories down a bit?

It's not so much about keeping your calories down a bit- you have a calorie ceiling that you use as a limit.
In my case (and a few others as well) it involves upping my calories, because normally I won't eat the calories
that are recommended by the calculators. It's about getting that spread between the number of calories you
eat on a DD and the number of calories you eat on an UD
Quote:

Originally Posted by HellInYourEyes (Post 15476777)
I like low carb, but am curious about this plan as well. Are the two compatible?

Yes

DD80 03-08-2012 07:21 AM

I'd start with a DD because yesterday you probably did a UD because you were eating normally. :) You can start on any day of the week, you can do it low carb and no foods are off limits.

You need to go the JUDDD website (google JUDDD) and find the calculate your DD and UD numbers.
Scroll to the calculator and put in your stats. Most people put in the little to no exercise option. I work out 5-7 days/week for at least an hour or two every day, so I used the 1-3 days/per week option because I was too hungry at the lower amount.

Most people use their current weight in the calculator, some people use their goal weight, some people use 20 lbs less than their goal weight. It's up to you. You need to play with the numbers to find what is best for you.

HellInYourEyes 03-08-2012 07:24 AM

This is a very interesting WOE. I don't feel "carb deprived" but there are some foods that I enjoy that would send me over the edge. I do find myself feeling better on LC though.

I kind of do this anyway. I have days where I'm not hungry at all and then days when I'm ravenous. I believe I will give this WOE a two week trial. I haven't really lost any weight in about 3 weeks. I know that's not a "true" stall but it's aggravating, especially when I'm doing things correctly. (minus the experiment that I posted about over in the LC main forum)

So I guess I start today. I have eaten already so this will be an UD for me. Wish me luck.

HellInYourEyes 03-08-2012 07:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DD80 (Post 15476860)
I'd start with a DD because yesterday you probably did a UD because you were eating normally. :)

I actually ate very little yesterday. I wasn't very hungry at all. I think I consumed maybe 300 calories (if that!) :hyst:

Sorry I'm laughing not because of what you said, but because typically before LC I would have ingested that many calories BEFORE lunch.

DD80 03-08-2012 07:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HellInYourEyes (Post 15476880)
I actually ate very little yesterday. I wasn't very hungry at all. I think I consumed maybe 300 calories (if that!) :hyst:

Sorry I'm laughing not because of what you said, but because typically before LC I would have ingested that many calories BEFORE lunch.

Well, then, yesterday was your DD! You started yesterday and you didn't even know it! :) Now, you get a UD today! (I :heart: UDs).

HellInYourEyes 03-08-2012 07:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DD80 (Post 15476901)
Well, then, yesterday was your DD! You started yesterday and you didn't even know it! :) Now, you get a UD today! (I :heart: UDs).

I have a feeling I may enjoy these lol

sophiethecat 03-08-2012 07:32 AM

:welcome: to JUDDD, HIYE! :shake:

DD80 03-08-2012 07:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HellInYourEyes (Post 15476904)
I have a feeling I may enjoy these lol

A UD for me is like when Scrooge McDuck swims in his vault of gold coins, except, I'm not a duck and I'm swimming in those delightful chocolate gold coins (Chanukah gelt). :laugh:

I hope you like this WOE/WOL. I certainly do. I even like the DDs and I was totally scared of those at first since I'm a hungry monster all the time. :eek: The DDs help me feel in control and the UDs help me because I can eat! I love to eat! ;)

HellInYourEyes 03-08-2012 07:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DD80 (Post 15476923)
A UD for me is like when Scrooge McDuck swims in his vault of gold coins, except, I'm not a duck and I'm swimming in delicious food. :laugh:

I hope you like this WOE/WOL. I certainly do. I even like the DDs and I was totally scared of those at first since I'm a hungry monster all the time. :eek: The DDs help me feel in control and the UDs help me because I can eat! I love to eat! ;)

I love to eat too! LOL I am looking forward to it! :jumpjoy:

Dottie 03-08-2012 07:41 AM

If there are foods you just can't eat because of control issues, then by all means skip them!
I've found there are foods that I just can't even have in the house or else I eat however much is here. Watermelon is one lol. So now, when I really want some, I just buy a small piece or cup -whatever the store has that day.
I control my portions by controlling how much I can lay my hands on quickly lol.

HellInYourEyes 03-08-2012 08:31 AM

I just tried to explain this WOE to my husband and he basically said it sounded like a bad idea. How do you explain it to people?

sophiethecat 03-08-2012 08:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HellInYourEyes (Post 15477187)
I just tried to explain this WOE to my husband and he basically said it sounded like a bad idea. How do you explain it to people?

:) There's a thread going on right now where people are discussing that: http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ju...ing-juddd.html

adillenal 03-08-2012 08:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HellInYourEyes (Post 15477187)
I just tried to explain this WOE to my husband and he basically said it sounded like a bad idea. How do you explain it to people?

I don't. My DH would have never noticed what I was doing if I had not told him. He just accepts it and really isn't interested as long as there is food for him to eat.:hyst:

AsmallerME 03-08-2012 08:41 AM

I just explained it to DH by saying that it's calorie cycling but a little extreme so that it triggers you body to really release the weight since it knows it will be fed again. He didn't seem to care what I tried as he thinks the choices I'm making w/ food (LC) are healthy in general. We both agreed I'd try for one week and then see what happened. Well, I'm in week 2 and don't plan on going anywhere for a long time so clearly it's working.

Also, if carbs trigger you (they do me), stay LC. That's what I"m doing. I didn't change a single thing about what I ate, I just altered the calories.

HellInYourEyes 03-08-2012 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sophiethecat (Post 15477196)
:) There's a thread going on right now where people are discussing that: http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ju...ing-juddd.html

Thank you!

carla70 03-08-2012 08:58 AM

:welcome: to JUDDD - I am on my second week and so far LOVING it. No food off limits. Just learning to track everything and what to eat on DD.

It is a wonderful plan. Good luck.

HellInYourEyes 03-08-2012 09:31 AM

If you low carb and JUDDD, do you try to keep the carb limit the same or do you increase that as well?

gotsomeold 03-08-2012 10:10 AM

I don't count carbs anymore. I usually get them via veggies. BUT, on an UD if I want potato or rice or sweets, I just count the calories.

JUDDD puts a lot of focus on personal responsibility. It is enormously freeing.

For your DH' concerns, do an internet search on 'health calorie restriction'.

And check this thread

:welcome:

HellInYourEyes 03-08-2012 10:13 AM

I've just decided to go with what feels right for me. Like in my avatar info. Low carb works and feels good. I may push my limit up a bit on my UD and see how I feel. Also I've decided to just :p whatever my husband says about this! lol

Yam-Yam 03-08-2012 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HellInYourEyes (Post 15476875)
This is a very interesting WOE. I don't feel "carb deprived" but there are some foods that I enjoy that would send me over the edge. I do find myself feeling better on LC though.

I kind of do this anyway. I have days where I'm not hungry at all and then days when I'm ravenous. I believe I will give this WOE a two week trial. I haven't really lost any weight in about 3 weeks. I know that's not a "true" stall but it's aggravating, especially when I'm doing things correctly. (minus the experiment that I posted about over in the LC main forum)

So I guess I start today. I have eaten already so this will be an UD for me. Wish me luck.

:welcome:Sounds like this may be a good fit for you.

Doctor Johnson who wrote the book recommends that you try it for at least 2 weeks, hopefully 3 because that's how long it takes your body to really build up the SIRT1 gene which suppresses your body from storing extra calories as fat. It also burns existing fat by producing a unique protein that causes extra fat to be washed out of the body, mainly through the kidneys.

There are also many other health benefits which you can read about in the book.

You can get the "how to" on the "What is JUDD? Come inside and see" thread on this forum. But to get the real "why and how it works" and the science behind the plan, you will enjoy reading.

The book is entitled, "The Alternate Day Diet" and Doc Johnson is the author.

I bought mine on Amazon.com and am so glad I did! I actually got excited about the research and finding out my body can build up a healthy enzyme to burn fat. Dr. J says Intermittent Fasting causes so many wonderful reactions in the brain and body. And, he says it starts to build up with the first meal you skip. Then, on alternate DDs it continues to build and he explains how this happens. A side benefit is that after 3 or 4 weeks you have enough of it built up that you can actually go off plan for some time and you won't gain weight until that build up gets depleted.

Yam-Yam 03-08-2012 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HellInYourEyes (Post 15477456)
If you low carb and JUDDD, do you try to keep the carb limit the same or do you increase that as well?


The great thing about this WOE is that it's up to you. You know your body best and you know what it wants and needs.

From reading other posts, I learned something helpful to me. One poster said she just eats carbs whenever she wants. But, if she starts getting cravings all the time, she cuts back on carbs for a day or two and the cravings go away.

I must be carb sensitive because carbs make me crave more carbs for the most part. However, UDs are so fun and freeing that if I want carbs I have them. Then on my DDs I will try to stick with pure protein until I notice the cravings have gone away. This really is working well for me right now.

HellInYourEyes 03-08-2012 10:39 AM

Since today is my first day and it's an UD I did have a bit of a higher carb meal. So far no cravings for more, which is fantastic! I am going to keep my carbs in check though, so I do appreciate what you posted Yam-Yam. (and everyone else!)

Kissa 03-09-2012 05:47 AM

Happy Juddding.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:43 PM.