Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   JUDDD (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/)
-   -   net calories ? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/761542-net-calories.html)

catlenson 03-08-2012 03:35 AM

net calories ?

hi everyone :)

newbie here, i just started JUDDD on monday...so far it's been pretty manageable!

i'm wondering though -- i've been working out every day and burning about 400-500 calories during my workouts.

do i take that into account when i calculate my daily calories?

for example, wednesday (DD) i consumed about 450 calories -- but i burned 500 while working out. should i have actually eaten 950 calories to make up for the 500 i burned? :confused:

thanks for the help!

btw: my DD calorie limit is 467, according to Dr. Johnson's calculator.

Dottie 03-08-2012 03:52 AM

Personally, I don't.
I figure the calorie deficit is better for me (on DD's especially) :)

Kissa 03-08-2012 04:01 AM

Generally I would say most people don't, but we do have a few big exercisers here, training for marathons etc and they do use their exercise calories sometimes.

Most of us err on the safe side, as it is easy to overestimate how hard you work out. Some of the counters are unreliable too.

itsmeshelly01 03-08-2012 05:57 PM

I don't add them back. I like seeing the negative number in ************ ...lol

2BoysMom 03-08-2012 10:20 PM

I'm training for a half marathon, and I'll say sometimes yes, sometimes no. On a typical training day, I don't usually....but once I get up to 6 miles or more, I sometimes need to "fuel" during the run. The longer the run the more fuel I need. So, I don't "subtract" those from my allotted total calories.

I also usually have a protein shake, a banana or coconut water afterwards as a "recovery" tool - I don't count that against my total either if it is a really long run.

So - all in all for really strenuous workouts, I may consume back half of the calories I burn in endurance nutrition, which is frankly really critical for me. But - for an average workout day I don't add any back in.

Then again I do allot myself 600 calories for DD's so mine aren't quite as low as yours.

gotsomeold 03-09-2012 01:13 AM

I encourage you to judge how you feel after exercising. Always have something on hand to gobble/drink if needed. That way you don't get weak or shaky and grab something/anything available.

Judge how you feel and your weight loss rate. Over time, you will know what your body needs to be healthy and lose weight.

mattsmama 03-09-2012 04:52 AM

I don't subtract the calories burned (sometimes over 800), HOWEVER, I have raised my DD and UD numbers to fuel myself better, and have continued to lose weight. There is no way I could enjoy the level of exercise that I do without proper nutrition, which in turn makes me feel wonderful.
I am in maintenance (still new at it), so I cannot say whether or not this approach will work for you. How far are you from your ideal weight?

Meek75 03-09-2012 07:21 AM

Sometimes I use mines, sometimes I don't... depends :confused:

Meek75 03-09-2012 07:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by itsmeshelly01 (Post 15479107)
I don't add them back. I like seeing the negative number in ************ ...lol

:up: :D :cool: