Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2012, 02:17 PM   #1
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: sophiethecat
Stats: 170+/135-138/145 5'6 39y pcos/IR/metformin
WOE: WL=LC then JUDDD/IF; Maintenance=IF/75%+ "healthy"
Start Date: LC 6/11; JUDDD 10/11; Maintenance 11/11
The Importance of Feeling Hunger on DD...

...or in the "DD portion" of your day if you're doing MUDDD or a shorter IF of 12+ hours...

Not sure how well I can talk this out plainly without it being a rambling mess, so bear with me here.

I have often wondered how important it is to actually FEEL the hunger - how important this uncomfortable feeling of needing to eat is? - to bring on the good effects of JUDDD, which is hormesis (the desired beneficial body response from the stress of the calorie restriction of JUDDD's DDs).

Though I've thought about this before, it was Sterling's post Rumble in the tummy that made me want to go ahead and get this out of my head and onto the forum. Sorry for those who know how "talky" I can get in my posts.

OK, here goes: I didn't always feel hungry at all times on a DD, but during WLM (weight-loss mode) when I went to bed with a gurgling, rumbly tummy, I had an instinct that the next day I would see a loss on the scale, and it seems that usually happened. I lost weight without feeling tummy rumbling of course, but it's as though the rumbling was a reminder that a loss was imminent.

Of course, it's not always the sound or feeling of my tummy that lets me know something is happening on JUDDD: Often times on DD I had more of the awareness of hunger. But my stomach wasn't necessarily griping, and in fact there would manifest a pleasant body sensation, clarity, clear sinuses, feeling of lowered inflammation, etc. I was hungry and I knew it, but as many JUDDDsters have become aware, there are different types of hunger. The hunger I felt during this pleasant body sensation (almost a "glow" period of hunger) was NOT a dire feed-me-now emergency, and in fact, I often prolonged the eating as much as I felt comfortable to (before the "bad" hunger - the sicky or urgent hunger feeling could set in - and when that happened I had to eat something).

During these times (of "good" hunger), I felt like WL must have been happening too - that my body was deflating a few more fat cells, that old cells in my body were being repaired, that I was being renewed.

So I don't think you have to experience hunger the entire DD, but I do think there will have to come some indication for at least a short time during the DD that you are hungry - rumbling tummy, or one of the types of hunger (hopefully you eat before it's the "bad" hunger), or you may just experience the "glow" period of hunger, but something must tell your body that you're under a stress from no food....?

And I think this is a good thing. I think it is part of the JUDDD (or any IF) magic.

Our bodies and minds have a love/hate relationship with it though. A part of us does not like any hunger at all for even a short time, but another part of us thrives on some hunger for a short time.

I came across part of an article today that finally addressed this issue about hunger and the benefits of JUDDD that I'd been wondering about, so it also helped spur me to make this post. Here is the part of the article from a blog called anti-aging firewalls. I put some of my own explanations in the parentheses with italics. Otherwise this is the website's author writing.

....“Calorie restriction (CR) is known to have profound effects on tumor incidence. A typical consequence of CR is hunger, and we hypothesized that the neuroendocrine response to CR might in part mediate CR’s antitumor effects. We tested CR under appetite suppression using two models: neuropeptide Y (NPY - a good neuropeptide with many beneficial effects) knockout mice and monosodium glutamate-injected mice. While CR was protective in control mice challenged with a two-stage skin carcinogenesis model, papilloma development was neither delayed nor reduced by CR in the monosodium glutamate-treated and NPY knockout mice. Adiponectin (an anti-inflammatory hormone) levels were also not increased by CR in the appetite-suppressed mice. We propose that some of CR’s beneficial effects cannot be separated from those imposed on appetite, and that NPY neurons in the arcuate nucleus of the hypothalamus are involved in the translation of reduced intake to downstream physiological and functional benefits.”

...Will the Hunger Eventually Subside?

This is an interesting question which has practical implications for the viability of CR interventions in humans. All available evidence from animal studies demonstrates that the hunger never subsides. When released from CR, even after the equivalent of many human years of restriction, animals invariably display a hyperphagic response indicating a persistent hunger drive.(ref, ref) An even more important point is that we would not want the hunger to subside, since the sensation of hunger resulting from hypothalamic production of NPY appears to play a necessary role in mediating the beneficial effects of CR.

(Adding that I feel they aren't saying here you should always be hungry, but that you wouldn't want the feeling of hunger on the calorie restriction part of the DD to go away completely for the rest of your life, or this could indicate there weren't all the beneficial effects of CR happening, if you get what I mean.)

So, we certainly should hope to avoid the "bad" hunger - don't let yourself get sick or have problems - go ahead and eat something so this won't happen. And that's the beauty of Dr. J's DD in that we can have hundreds of calories on DD to make the day easier and still get the benefits of CR. We most definitely should eat and check our fluid intake and nutrients to stave off feeling sick, shaky, tired, headachy, problems etc.

But as far as what I'm calling "good hunger", is this more indication that we should embrace some of that on DD, and let it help encourage us that good things are happening inside us?

I haven't used an appetite suppressant on DD, though I thought about it before in the early days when DDs were a huge struggle for me. But I wondered if suppressing the hunger that way would have a negative effect on JUDDDg...?

Just some thoughts/questions I've had.

Feel free to share any thought or opinion. Oh and remember, I'm no scientist or doctor and they won't even let me play one on TV.
MAINTENANCE since 11/12/11, & have lost more weight. I shake things up all the time with my version of Pirate Jenny's MUDDD, my "Fast 5" & other IF. ...low-moderate fat....and eating "healthy" foods 75+% of the time which lets me have real life and indulgences too I've reached my goals, improved my health & appearance, and enjoy my lifetime woe!

Last edited by sophiethecat; 03-06-2012 at 03:07 PM..
sophiethecat is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-06-2012, 03:41 PM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/146.4/145, 5'9", 41 y.o., Hypothyroid
WOE: Back to JUDDD!
Very interesting. I have also given this a little bit of thought, though not nearly as much as you have. I liken it to someone who is very ill and has lost their appetite. They are not getting the benefits of CR. I'll use myself as an example.

A few years ago, I had a severe reaction to some medication. It was not the type of reaction that's immediately noticeable. It built up so gradually over 6 weeks that I did not have any idea just how sick I was. I had fatigue, low grade fever, and then I lost my appetite and lost nearly 30 lbs in 6 weeks. I would eat a few bites because I knew I should, but I really didn't have any desire for food. I probably wouldn't have made it to the hospital except that I finally broke out in pupura with blood pooling just under the surface of my skin. My body was attacking itself and I had virtually no clotting factor left. When I made it to the hospital I was informed that I was within 2-3 days of total organ failure and if I had waited more than a few more hours, I would not have been saved. (Another reason I feel I could have Lupus or another autoimmune disease--after the damage done to my immune system during this ordeal).

I was obviously very calorically restricted during this time, but it did not decrease my inflammation or in any other way help to fight off what was happening in my body. This has caused me to question what exactly it is about this type of CR that has so many benefits.

Thank you Sophie for bringing this up. It's quite interesting to me to see some possible explanations.

Atkins 10/24/11 @ 277.6
JUDDD 12/12/11 @ 267.8
January 2013 @ 165.0: Maintaining however feels the most comfortable with little bouts of WLM thrown in here and there.
January 2014 @ 145: Maintaining with 5:2 and/or JUDDD
July 2014, weight is creeping up: Back to JUDDD.
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 04:16 PM   #3
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: chelsearose
Stats: 159/154/Whatever gets me in a 6-8
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: March 5, 2012
A new JUDDD enthusiast weighing in here and finding the thoughts on hunger interesting.
Some years ago I was in the mountains of Taipei (one of my husband's less successful trip ideas, but I digress. I got food poisoning from a dreadful restaurant our guide took us to, but still had to get onto a cog railway up a mountain to our next stop. Do you know how rocky a cog railroad car is in Taiwan? Have you ever been in a bathroom on a Taiwanese cog railcar--a hole in thefloor and a foot space on either side. For the first half of the trip I was afraid I'd die and for the second half I was afraid I wouldn't. So we get to the mountain village and check into our D- hotel (the only one in town) and I decide I'll live but may kill my husband. We go to the hotel dining room and the food looks and smells exactly like the food at lunch. (Now I'm an adventurous eater but there was no way I was touching a bite,) And for five days the food in every village pretty much stayed the same--and, my point, finally: I completely lost all hunger. Now I normallyhave the appetite of a stevedore, but I had NONE--not a case of I'm humgry but afraid to eat---ZERO appetite. It's as if my brain, knowing there was nothing non-repulsive available, simply turned off my hunger.
Never had an experience like that before or since. And not sure why the hunger vanished so completely--but as soon as I got back to civilization, my normal hunger pattern returned.
chelsearose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 04:19 PM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
Bravo Sophie for some very detailed research! I am going to have to read that a few more times before I finish finding implications and raised questions.

BUT, I definitely recognize what you call 'good' hunger. I've always welcomed it as a minor irritant that goes along with not eating much. And as proof DD is doing something. It is like my body is nudging me and whispering, 'are we gonna eat sometime?' I have been aware that I am in appetite suppression, otherwise - given the amount I have eaten - I would not be minorly irritated, I would be ravenous.

On the other hand, every two or three weeks I get ravenous, body screaming demands for food NOW hunger. Those days I eat a lot of veggies, some protein, and extra hwc in coffee for fat, and just ride the wave. That hunger does not seem to come from how much I have eaten, sometimes I have eaten a whole head of romaine and all the broccoli in the house. My tummy has to be full. But my body continues to act like I have not eaten in days.

I lose weight after either kind of DD. My weight loss is slow but pleasantly steady. But I do wonder what is going on during those rare, ravenous days.

Dawn, I have never been as sick as that (my sympathies, what a nightmare!). But I have been very ill and I agree, when my body is in trouble my appetite vanishes.
STILL below goal 2/15/14

I did not "lose" weight. I evicted it. It is gone and it ain't coming back!

JUDDD cares about calories. JUDDD does not care what you eat. Your body probably does.
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 04:22 PM   #5
Blabbermouth!!!

Hi ChelseaRose! to JUDDD, and so glad you posted!

Yes, with what you and Dawn have said, there seems to be something entirely different with being sick and having appetite suppression. During that time, I think the body is diverting energy away from digestion in order to confront the illness that has taken priority. And who knows, but the calorie restriction during this time may also be good for it, even if one doesn't feel hungry.

Oh and what you went through was a nightmare!!! Quite an adventure you weren't wanting, oh my!!!

For times of normal health, I've wondered though if some sensation of hunger is important to experiencing the calorie restriction benefits. Whether it's actual hunger of some degree, tummy rumbling, pleasant body sensation, etc.

Again, welcome to the forum.

Last edited by sophiethecat; 03-06-2012 at 04:40 PM..
Old 03-06-2012, 04:26 PM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: sterlinggirl
Stats: 225/166/165 47 5'9
WOE: JUDDD FOR LIFE!
Start Date: Jan 2012. Name Kimberly
WOW Very interesting read.. i do appreciate the fact that you were spurred to research.. i love research...i will enjoy my rumbles now.. and also try to prolong my own hunger feeling like you are doing.. ive not reach that point of no return on my down days.. but on an up day i actually heard my tummy rumble today and i thought i was hungry.. i check my food log,, and i just ate 2 hours earlier.. and had way more cals in me at that point than i ever have on a down day.. but boy was i starving!! i find now 6 days into it, that i am hungry now on UD like wow!! lol weird, but my scale is moving and i am soo happy!! thanks to all who have helped me with this fun start of a life time of eating!
sterlinggirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 04:27 PM   #7
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotsomeold View Post
Bravo Sophie for some very detailed research! I am going to have to read that a few more times before I finish finding implications and raised questions.

BUT, I definitely recognize what you call 'good' hunger. I've always welcomed it as a minor irritant that goes along with not eating much. And as proof DD is doing something. It is like my body is nudging me and whispering, 'are we gonna eat sometime?' I have been aware that I am in appetite suppression, otherwise - given the amount I have eaten - I would not be minorly irritated, I would be ravenous.

On the other hand, every two or three weeks I get ravenous, body screaming demands for food NOW hunger. Those days I eat a lot of veggies, some protein, and extra hwc in coffee for fat, and just ride the wave. That hunger does not seem to come from how much I have eaten, sometimes I have eaten a whole head of romaine and all the broccoli in the house. My tummy has to be full. But my body continues to act like I have not eaten in days.

I lose weight after either kind of DD. My weight loss is slow but pleasantly steady. But I do wonder what is going on during those rare, ravenous days.

Dawn, I have never been as sick as that (my sympathies, what a nightmare!). But I have been very ill and I agree, when my body is in trouble my appetite vanishes.
omgosh Nancy, I have those ravenous eat-down-the-house days too! For me, it's usually related to hormonal cycles.

And yet sometimes it isn't, and I think the body is just gearing up for more loss. I can't begin to understand what it's doing in that case, whether it's demanding more nutrition or reassurances it won't starve or some element required to empty the fat cells or who knows. It certainly has it's oh-so-mysterious ways.
Old 03-06-2012, 04:36 PM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mayleesa
Stats: (5'5") 209/176.4/140lb
WOE: low carb
Start Date: 12/26/2013
wow...that is certainly ALOT to ponder....you certainly sound smarter than some of the docs i know!
mayleesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 04:37 PM   #9
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeirasMom View Post
Very interesting. I have also given this a little bit of thought, though not nearly as much as you have. I liken it to someone who is very ill and has lost their appetite. They are not getting the benefits of CR. I'll use myself as an example.

A few years ago, I had a severe reaction to some medication. It was not the type of reaction that's immediately noticeable. It built up so gradually over 6 weeks that I did not have any idea just how sick I was. I had fatigue, low grade fever, and then I lost my appetite and lost nearly 30 lbs in 6 weeks. I would eat a few bites because I knew I should, but I really didn't have any desire for food. I probably wouldn't have made it to the hospital except that I finally broke out in pupura with blood pooling just under the surface of my skin. My body was attacking itself and I had virtually no clotting factor left. When I made it to the hospital I was informed that I was within 2-3 days of total organ failure and if I had waited more than a few more hours, I would not have been saved. (Another reason I feel I could have Lupus or another autoimmune disease--after the damage done to my immune system during this ordeal).

I was obviously very calorically restricted during this time, but it did not decrease my inflammation or in any other way help to fight off what was happening in my body. This has caused me to question what exactly it is about this type of CR that has so many benefits.

Thank you Sophie for bringing this up. It's quite interesting to me to see some possible explanations.
My goodness you went through a terror!! This was hard to read and I'm so glad you were saved!!
Old 03-06-2012, 04:49 PM   #10

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/146.4/145, 5'9", 41 y.o., Hypothyroid
WOE: Back to JUDDD!
Quote:
Originally Posted by sophiethecat View Post
My goodness you went through a terror!! This was hard to read and I'm so glad you were saved!!
Thanks. Water under the bridge, but it really does make you wonder at the complexities of our bodies. It's just fascinating to me.

On the plus side, from my experience, I discovered Morphine is truly my friend. Steroids, not so much. They made me gain back all the weight I lost!
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 04:50 PM   #11
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlinggirl View Post
WOW Very interesting read.. i do appreciate the fact that you were spurred to research.. i love research...i will enjoy my rumbles now.. and also try to prolong my own hunger feeling like you are doing.. ive not reach that point of no return on my down days.. but on an up day i actually heard my tummy rumble today and i thought i was hungry.. i check my food log,, and i just ate 2 hours earlier.. and had way more cals in me at that point than i ever have on a down day.. but boy was i starving!! i find now 6 days into it, that i am hungry now on UD like wow!! lol weird, but my scale is moving and i am soo happy!! thanks to all who have helped me with this fun start of a life time of eating!
lol, thank you, but I have these ideas going on in my head at times, I wish I could make them of more value to someone!

Just wanted to stress the point of making sure you take care of yourself - eat if you need to on your DD. It sounds like you're doing great just as you are.

And despite feelings of hunger, losses don't come daily on JUDDD for anyone - there are scale bounces and whatnot, but the overall trend is downward so Yayyy!!! And maybe the little bouts of hunger let us know we are on the right track with the calorie restriction, which is only every other day.

Last edited by sophiethecat; 03-06-2012 at 04:56 PM..
Old 03-06-2012, 05:08 PM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: vilanteira
Stats: in maintenance
WOE: juddd/lower carb
Start Date: low carb: 2008, juddd: 10/24/11
Quote:
Of course, it's not always the sound or feeling of my tummy that lets me know something is happening on JUDDD: Often times on DD I had more of the awareness of hunger. But my stomach wasn't necessarily griping, and in fact there would manifest a pleasant body sensation, clarity, clear sinuses, feeling of lowered inflammation, etc. I was hungry and I knew it, but as many JUDDDsters have become aware, there are different types of hunger. The hunger I felt during this pleasant body sensation (almost a "glow" period of hunger) was NOT a dire feed-me-now emergency, and in fact, I often prolonged the eating as much as I felt comfortable to (before the "bad" hunger - the sicky or urgent hunger feeling could set in - and when that happened I had to eat something).
Wow, I haven't actually considered a direct positive health effect of feeling hungry, but this is definitely very interesting to me and I'm curious to see what everyone thinks about this as well.

And this part I quoted above from you Sophie is such a good description of that DD "high" that I feel from time to time before I start eating that day. It's that floaty calm and clear-minded sensation, where I feel strangely happy and so peaceful, which sometimes lasts for hours in the afternoon and I always want to prolong this feeling. Awareness of hunger but not wanting to eat yet. That's how it feels to me. I just experienced it today again all the way up through 6:30pm and then ate for the first time, so the feeling's all fresh in my mind.

Most of the time I don't really feel hungry on DDs until I start getting closer to my first meal (usually 6-7pm or so), and it's the same type of hunger I feel on UDs before my first meal (11am or so), which is what I think of as regular hunger, the type I used to feel between meals...not urgent and scary or painful but is also a completely different feeling than that blissful DD "high" good hunger. I don't know what brings on that DD high but it doesn't occur all the time.

Yes, and then there's the bad hunger where it's just so intense that I must eat right away. Oddly though, that can occur for me on UDs as well as DDs. I try not to let it get like that before I eat. I wish I knew how to bring about that DD good hunger more often though!

Last edited by vilanteira; 03-06-2012 at 05:09 PM..
vilanteira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 05:17 PM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: sterlinggirl
Stats: 225/166/165 47 5'9
WOE: JUDDD FOR LIFE!
Start Date: Jan 2012. Name Kimberly
oh but sophie.. you have found a use for all of that which is whirling around in that pretty lil head of yours.. we are your fans here now.. i love to read your posts.. theres just so much there to keep me interested!! keep up the great work dear!!!!
sterlinggirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 05:18 PM   #14

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
To me, for myself, it doesn't much matter whether I *feel* any particular hunger or not... it only matters if I keep pretty close to the calorie numbers. Weight loss occurs just as nicely, as easily, as comfortably regardless of whether I feel hungry or not.

But, once I started JUDDD, I pretty much always stuck to it, so it didn't take too long before I was used to it, and then I was really never much more hungry on a DD than I ever am on an UD.

For myself, the benefits are entirely because of the very low calories of the semi-fast hours and what my body does as the result of so few calories. For myself, it doesn't have anything to do with any feelings of hunger or of fullness during those hours.
Old 03-06-2012, 05:21 PM   #15
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Total agreement that DD creates feelings I want to prolong. Somewhere in there the 'good' hunger slips in. I just smile and wave at it and it goes away for awhile. Apparently it takes a pound or so with it.
Old 03-06-2012, 05:49 PM   #16
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vilanteira View Post
Wow, I haven't actually considered a direct positive health effect of feeling hungry, but this is definitely very interesting to me and I'm curious to see what everyone thinks about this as well.

And this part I quoted above from you Sophie is such a good description of that DD "high" that I feel from time to time before I start eating that day. It's that floaty calm and clear-minded sensation, where I feel strangely happy and so peaceful, which sometimes lasts for hours in the afternoon and I always want to prolong this feeling. Awareness of hunger but not wanting to eat yet. That's how it feels to me. I just experienced it today again all the way up through 6:30pm and then ate for the first time, so the feeling's all fresh in my mind.

Most of the time I don't really feel hungry on DDs until I start getting closer to my first meal (usually 6-7pm or so), and it's the same type of hunger I feel on UDs before my first meal (11am or so), which is what I think of as regular hunger, the type I used to feel between meals...not urgent and scary or painful but is also a completely different feeling than that blissful DD "high" good hunger. I don't know what brings on that DD high but it doesn't occur all the time.

Yes, and then there's the bad hunger where it's just so intense that I must eat right away. Oddly though, that can occur for me on UDs as well as DDs. I try not to let it get like that before I eat. I wish I knew how to bring about that DD good hunger more often though!
We have these identical JUDDD experiences, V! I have been holding back for months, too afraid all along to say high or even body buzz, but that's exactly what it is!! So glad you came out with it, bold one.

Even my Mom (who's doing JUDDD) knew what I was talking about and described it as you did, when I was afraid to express it, lol. But our bodies are the world's finest chemists. lol.

Last edited by sophiethecat; 03-06-2012 at 05:54 PM..
Old 03-06-2012, 06:04 PM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: vilanteira
Stats: in maintenance
WOE: juddd/lower carb
Start Date: low carb: 2008, juddd: 10/24/11
Quote:
We have these identical JUDDD experiences, V! I have been holding back for months, too afraid all along to say high or even body buzz, but that's exactly what it is!! So glad you came out with it, bold one.

Even my Mom (who's doing JUDDD) knew what I was talking about and described it as you did, when I was afraid to express it, lol. But our bodies are the world's finest chemists. lol.
I tried to describe this to two people and they both thought I was going insane from lack of food and starvation! But it really does describe how I feel.
vilanteira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 07:14 PM   #18
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: No Diet = No Stress! Just eating healthy!
This was a VERY good thread to read, interesting and informative from all the posts!

Thanks!!
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 10:25 PM   #19
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sunday
Stats: 225/145/ ...
WOE: Perfect Health Diet- 16hr Daily Fast
Start Date: JUDDD - 2/01/12 Began at 200, Goal 130
Yes, Sophie, hunger keeps you happier! Ghrelin is the hormone that signals hunger pangs, moving from the stomach to the brain. Blocking the response of the body to ghrelin is one of the common weight loss methods.

Action Of Ghrelin Hormone Increases Appetite And Favors Accumulation Of Abdominal Fat

Well, I am one who likes the DD's more than I do UD. I think after reading Sophie's thoughts, that this may be the reason I look forward to it.

I actually find UD too much work and sometimes, I feel pressure, if that makes sense? Now, mind you, it can't be pressure to eat that is my issue, because obviously I wouldn't be overweight, if that is what I am feeling. I think the pressure is that I must eat more than is comfortable and eat to capacity. Also, if I weren't choosing to remain lowcarb and paleo while JUDDDing, then this may not be an issue. I could just grab any and every thing to meet my UD calorie requirement.

I really do enjoy studying anything having to do with Calorie Restriction and Fasting. It is amazing all of the info that I could have benefitted from learning, if I knew this 10 years ago when I first began the battle of the bulge! http://health.infoniac.com/hunger_ke...u_happier.html
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ot...th-august.html

Last edited by sunday; 03-06-2012 at 10:45 PM..
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 05:05 AM   #20
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Wow! Sunday, thanks for the links. This is all coming together in a very interesting and thought provoking way.
Old 03-07-2012, 06:51 AM   #21
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunday View Post
Wow, Sunday that's a whole other perspective on DD hunger right there! I never realized there was an antidepressant effect to hunger itself! No wonder many of us feel so good on our DD (well unless the bad hunger sets in of course). Thanks for the link!

Oh, and from another angle - this may be why many people overeat (myself included in there) in response to stress, like a form of soothing self-medication, I guess.

And I think this excerpt from http://www.utsouthwestern.edu/newsro...rs-report.html explains well what many of us experience on DD, that calm, focused feeling: Until modern times, the one common human experience was securing enough food to prevent starvation. Our hunter-gatherer ancestors needed to be as calm and collected as possible when it was time to venture out in search of food, or risk becoming dinner themselves, Dr. Zigman said, adding that the anti-anxiety effects of hunger-induced ghrelin may have provided a survival advantage.

Last edited by sophiethecat; 03-07-2012 at 07:06 AM..
Old 03-07-2012, 07:24 AM   #22
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: DD80
Stats: 188/165.0/145 5'10"
WOE: Organic GrassFed Gluten-Free 5/13 Dairy Free 2/14
Start Date: 1/10/12 Medi, 2/9/12 First UD, 1/1/13 New Plan
Sophie, this is all very interesting. (I've enjoyed reading everyone else's ideas/stories too). I don't know if I equate my "hunger" or my growling tummy with weight loss. I just usually feel "thinner" right before I see a drop at the scale. It's usually a tummy feeling. Like, my tummy feels thin/not bloated. I can suck it in w/o pain. The opposite is true when I'm gaining. I feel fat/bloated (many days in a row) and can't suck it in. I also notice that my body releases water before a good weight loss...sometimes for several days before. Before that, I release water/bloat/release water/bloat in a cycle.

As for hunger feelings, I always get the "I can't stop thinking about food and I'm going to eat my arm any minute" hunger *before* I get to the mellow "Ok, I don't have to eat" euphoria. Usually, I've almost eaten my arm (or at least a few fingers) and am annoyed and grumpy all day. Then, by the time I can actually eat, I don't want it anymore at that point and it annoys the heck out of me because I can finally eat!

Oh well, we are all so different. I wish I had some insight into the body and innerworkings of the metabolism. I think there is so much that we humans don't understand about ourselves.

Also, I don't know if it's related to JUDDD (I'd like to think it is), but the psoriasis that has plagued my hands for over a year has lessened significantly. Yes, I've been soaking in dead sea salts, but it is a marked difference and nothing short of amazing. The only time I've seen this much "remission" was when I had my lower back epidural cortisone injection. (2-3 weeks after, my fingers cleared up almost all the way). They have "healed" so much that I've actually started to put cortisone cream on them in hopes to clear them all the way. This is just another way that calorie restriction may be something of a miracle to me. Of course, my psoriasis is like one of those cartoons where they put their finger over the leak and the leak springs out someplace else. If the fingers heal, a spot or 2 or 3 will pop up somewhere else (they have already started).

I love this community. I love that I'm not the only one having amazing things happen. I love that I'm not the only one who thinks deeply about what is going on with my body. I love that we can share our stories, successes, and even the bad stuff with each other.

Thanks everyone!
DD80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 11:41 AM   #23
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: CarolinaCoast
Stats: 155/124.2/122-125
WOE: Chronic Experimenter
Bump
CarolinaCoast is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 11:34 PM   #24
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jdforshort
Stats: 221/155/136, 5'4", 60yrs
WOE: Atkins/PPower/Mod Carb/JUDDD
Start Date: LC 3/23/12, JUDDD 6/2/12
jdforshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 06:40 AM   #25
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Sirtain
Stats: 202then/154March/Xnow/140soon
WOE: Paleo+JUDDD
Start Date: March 2013
What great information. I'm bumping so the newbies can find it easily.
Sirtain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 07:27 AM   #26
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.0/126.8 5'2" 38yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
I feel the "glow" hunger 98% of the time if I'm even aware of it. My stomach almost never rumbles anymore. When it rumbles I can be pretty sure TOM is coming.

I went to a new doctor yesterday for a consult about some of my medical conditions and becoming pregnant. I told him I do IF. I started to say that I'll stop when pregnant and he said no need to it's just fine and our bodies don't need food every day. He said as long as my blood sugar stayed in a normal range I could continue to JUDDDing while pregnant.
75.8 lbs were evicted in less than 14 months!
Called goal on 2/5/13 at 126.8. I can wear size 4P!

See my before and after pictures
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...ore-after.html
Carly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 09:40 AM   #27
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Locarbarella
Stats: 188/123/125 5'5"
WOE: Low Carb maintenance since 2007
Start Date: Atkins 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carly View Post
I feel the "glow" hunger 98% of the time if I'm even aware of it. My stomach almost never rumbles anymore. When it rumbles I can be pretty sure TOM is coming.

I went to a new doctor yesterday for a consult about some of my medical conditions and becoming pregnant. I told him I do IF. I started to say that I'll stop when pregnant and he said no need to it's just fine and our bodies don't need food every day. He said as long as my blood sugar stayed in a normal range I could continue to JUDDDing while pregnant.
That's great news. It seems like common sense to me that the body doesn't need food every day but it's been a fairly radical idea in the medical profession up until now. In fact they've been telling us to eat continuously. Glad to see that changing. The body is an amazing machine that has developed the ability to adapt to all kinds of changing circumstances. If you get proper nutrition in the aggregate, it functions just fine.

The real problem is forcing the machine to run on chemicals and junk instead of food... that, it doesn't know how to deal with very well.
Locarbarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 11:46 AM   #28
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jdforshort
Stats: 221/155/136, 5'4", 60yrs
WOE: Atkins/PPower/Mod Carb/JUDDD
Start Date: LC 3/23/12, JUDDD 6/2/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carly View Post

What? Carly, an open minded doctor!! Great news for you I'm sure!
I'm glad this post was bumped as it's great to re-read!
jdforshort is offline   Reply With Quote