Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2012, 09:06 AM   #1

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
Have you noticed? Patience and compassion.

I read something very interesting about how judges granting parole was STRONGLY influenced by how long it had been since they ate a meal. To see what I am referring to, Google [judge parole lunch] and look at the article from Wired.

It seems that they are much more tolerant and perhaps compassionate and patient after eating.

This is of great interest to me, since compassion among people is so important and so rare in life sometimes...

I know you all have a lot of experience of the difference between days when you are eating more "normally" and days when you are restricting intake strictly. I would be interested in any reflections you might have on whether your patience and compassion for others seems to vary on these days.

I know it's not immediately obvious... humans always can justify what we do with "facts," but psychological research shows that we often come up with these rationalizations AFTER we have acted based on physical influences.

Anyway, perhaps some of you JUDDDers who are interested in the subject could try logging this for awhile to see what you find. It might be especially instructive to see how your intake influences how liberal you are letting your children do things, how patient you are with parents and spouses, stuff like that.

A lot of us non-JUDDERS limit what we eat EVERY day, so we can't track this so easily.

But gee, if it's true that dietary restriction is similar to what they talk about in that study, it would be something to bear in mind when I don't necessarily feel that sympathetic towards someone, you know?

Any serious discussion is welcome. Thanks!

Last edited by ravenrose; 03-06-2012 at 09:08 AM..
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-06-2012, 11:19 AM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/114.8/128 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD - 1/1/12 + intermittent LCHF
DDs I tend to have almost ketosis feelings - I am usually euphoric when in ketosis. Come to think of it, UDs, frankly ditto. The overall feeling of being in no-stress, just follow the rules and have fun control is enormously calming and positive for me. I suspect DH hopes this woe becomes my wol.

I know all of the forums here are supportive. But just look at what happens when a JUDDD BUDDD posts an "I need a hug". We all practically drop what we are doing to rush to comfort, sympathize, care.

That might mean we are all - coincidentally - really nice guys. Or it could be the DD/UD rotation gets at least me around the too long since a meal effect. For me, the rotation certainly seems to prevent blood glucose spikes/drops even when I eat sweets. Which does wonders for my attitude and emotional balance.
STILL below goal 2/15/14

I did not "lose" weight. I evicted it. It is gone and it ain't coming back!

JUDDD cares about calories. JUDDD does not care what you eat. Your body probably does.
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 11:24 AM   #3
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/144 - 150/155, 5'9", 41 y.o., Hypothyroid
WOE: Maintenance - 5:2/JUDDD
When I told DH I was going to start this WOE, he thought I was insane. I was one who would get so grumpy and mean when I let myself get hungry. I'm sure he was ready for things to start being thrown at him on DDs. My very first DD I had a little bit of grumpiness, and have not experienced (hunger-related) grumpiness since.

He waited and watched and finally conceded that this WOE agrees with me and with my sometimes volatile temper. That's not to say that I never have a bad attitude, but it's equally distributed between UDs and DDs.

Atkins 10/24/11 @ 277.6
JUDDD 12/12/11 @ 267.8
January 2013 @ 165.0: Maintaining however feels the most comfortable with little bouts of WLM thrown in here and there.
January 2014 @ 145: Maintaining with 5:2 and/or JUDDD
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 11:42 AM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: sterlinggirl
Stats: 225/166/165 47 5'9
WOE: JUDDD FOR LIFE!
Start Date: Jan 2012. Name Kimberly
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeirasMom View Post
When I told DH I was going to start this WOE, he thought I was insane. I was one who would get so grumpy and mean when I let myself get hungry. I'm sure he was ready for things to start being thrown at him on DDs. My very first DD I had a little bit of grumpiness, and have not experienced (hunger-related) grumpiness since.

He waited and watched and finally conceded that this WOE agrees with me and with my sometimes volatile temper. That's not to say that I never have a bad attitude, but it's equally distributed between UDs and DDs.
me too.. the sometimes volatile temper part lol .. Actually i used to get rather upset if my spouse dint have dinner ready as soon as i came home from work due to being soooo hungry!!! and the nerve i hate to wait??!!! well since this Woe. i am so much better now.. it dont matter how long i have to wait if its not done... but worste than that was the day i came home from a DD and dint plan to eat ANY dinner and the house smelled sooo good UGGH>>> but i survied !! with a smile and all..
sterlinggirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 11:56 AM   #5
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenrose View Post
I read something very interesting about how judges granting parole was STRONGLY influenced by how long it had been since they ate a meal. To see what I am referring to, Google [judge parole lunch] and look at the article from Wired.

It seems that they are much more tolerant and perhaps compassionate and patient after eating.

This is of great interest to me, since compassion among people is so important and so rare in life sometimes...

I know you all have a lot of experience of the difference between days when you are eating more "normally" and days when you are restricting intake strictly. I would be interested in any reflections you might have on whether your patience and compassion for others seems to vary on these days.

I know it's not immediately obvious... humans always can justify what we do with "facts," but psychological research shows that we often come up with these rationalizations AFTER we have acted based on physical influences.

Anyway, perhaps some of you JUDDDers who are interested in the subject could try logging this for awhile to see what you find. It might be especially instructive to see how your intake influences how liberal you are letting your children do things, how patient you are with parents and spouses, stuff like that.

A lot of us non-JUDDERS limit what we eat EVERY day, so we can't track this so easily.

But gee, if it's true that dietary restriction is similar to what they talk about in that study, it would be something to bear in mind when I don't necessarily feel that sympathetic towards someone, you know?

Any serious discussion is welcome. Thanks!
I thought about this a bit before posting, to try and be as careful and accurate as possible, and my answer is (and only applies to me).. I really don't notice any difference.

But, that might be from a couple of different causes. I no longer hold to very low carb, and I know many folks are more irritable and cranky and faster to provoke when they've been very low carb for awhile. I was, and notice a strong difference in my level of happiness, calm, gentleness, etc. when I increased my carbs to a strong mid-level number. Not the addition of processed crap much. But definitely a higher carb level. So that is how it worked for me.

But the other thing I think might have a bearing on this is that we become used to the periods of eating more and the periods of eating less, so after awhile, we mostly feel about the same from day to day, whereas the probation panel would be made up of people who were used to three squares a day and more, probably always eating at about the same time every day, and maybe with additional feedings between meals as well, so they might have been a lot more like our newbie JUDDDers who are not all that happy for the first DD or two sometimes.

Interesting study. I wonder if it is universally true, and if so, that would affect just about every aspect of human interaction.
Old 03-06-2012, 01:40 PM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: vilanteira
Stats: in maintenance
WOE: juddd/lower carb
Start Date: low carb: 2008, juddd: 10/24/11
I do have certain DDs where I'm so hungry I could eat my own leg and would feel crankier, but those are usually related to TOM or OV time, so I think it's not just the hunger or reduction in calories that's making me cranky then. I've also noticed that if I don't eat enough (or get enough nutrients) on the UD before a DD, I can sometimes get cranky just before I eat my first meal on a DD (around dinnertime). Other than that, no real changes in mood between most DDs and UDs, because I don't normally feel deprived or restricted or hungry on DDs any more than I do on UDs even with the huge difference in calories and amount of food between the two days.
vilanteira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 02:21 PM   #7
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Carmiel
Stats: 203/163.4/155
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: 2/12/2012
I am finding that I am still pretty grumpy on DD's but I have only been at this for a couple weeks. Last night when I got home from work after a DD my DH very diplomatically asked me if I had had a bad day. This was after I had yelled at the dogs for jumping on me and nosing me when I got home from work and emptied the dishwasher in a rather irritated way Honestly, I was just hungry, my day wasn't bad at all.

Some DD are a lot worse than others and I have been trying to figure out why that is, yesterday was particulary bad. I had eaten a chocolate chip cookie the day before, it was the first real sugar I have knowingly had since Christmas time, maybe that was it? I don't know but I hope tomorrow is a better DD and that I am in a better mood, I am sure my DH and dogs would also like to see that happen.
Carmiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 03:31 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mattsmama
Stats: 188/129.2/135 5'8" 42 yo
Start Date: JUDDD-11/11 to present (LC-5/11-11/11)
I am personally blissful, calm and certainly compassionate on my DDs and my UDs. I had become a depressed, sad mess on low carb, though, which is thoroughly unlike me normally. I no longer snap at people as I had been.
I do not believe my personal experience would support these observations, and in fact, quite the opposite. I am very pleased with my personality every day, as is my family.
mattsmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 04:15 PM   #9
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: sophiethecat
Stats: 170+/135-138/145 5'6 39y pcos/IR/metformin
WOE: WL=LC then JUDDD/IF; Maintenance=IF/75%+ "healthy"
Start Date: LC 6/11; JUDDD 10/11; Maintenance 11/11
I'm not sure because so many things can effect mood, from hormones, to tiredness, to blood sugar, to stress....

On JUDDD we start to recognize different types of hunger and be more aware of our bodies and levels of hunger. Sometimes on DD I feel MORE vibrant and happy than on an overly-indulgent UD.

I just know that overall, my mental and emotional health seem much improved on JUDDD. I feel calmer and more able to overlook things that would have annoyed me before.

Of course there are "spikes" that happen under stress, such as that I've been through in the last 2+weeks with my Dad's health, but I am pretty much back to baseline today. Everyone has those acute moments when someone or something in life causes a flare up, but apart from those instances, my overall mental and emotional health is the best it's ever been in my life.

MAINTENANCE since 11/12/11, & have lost more weight. I shake things up all the time with my version of Pirate Jenny's MUDDD, my "Fast 5" & other IF. ...low-moderate fat....and eating "healthy" foods 75+% of the time which lets me have real life and indulgences too I've reached my goals, improved my health & appearance, and enjoy my lifetime woe!
sophiethecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 04:40 PM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mayleesa
Stats: (5'5") 209/178.4/140lb
WOE: low carb
Start Date: 12/26/2013
i'm not exactly sure but i know that i'm a MUCH happier person on this woe compared to ANY other i've tried...regardless of losing or not, i'm a much nicer roomate, friend, sister, and daughter.....MUCH nicer....on lowcarb i was a B...most if not every day depressed....according to my roomate....i could NOT be that girl anymore...i may not be as successful as others but i am happier and calmer
mayleesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 05:33 PM   #11
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/114.8/128 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD - 1/1/12 + intermittent LCHF
Carmiel, I only tried eating sweets three times in the first six weeks of JUDDD. The first two times I 'felt' an echo of a blood sugar rise/fall, and was hungry for about 24 hours. The third time, chocolate was just a delicious treat I really enjoyed but stopped eating as planned. Some food reactions take a LOT of sirtuin enzymes to suppress.
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 05:53 PM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: hockey_gal
Stats: 172/156/150 5'7.5 Goal met: Aug 19/11
WOE: Moderate LC
Start Date: Aug 2010
I just had a very delicious plate of chicken fajitas and I'm letting my DS2 lie on my arm while I type...I usually get REALLY annoyed when he does this bc it is very hard to type and it tires my arm out. My experience is that I AM much happier and thus more compassionate on UDs. There is no question. I am also more likely to take things personally and more emotional on DDs. I had an incident at work where someone lied about something small...but I got shaky and even shed some tears over it! I'm not usually so emotional (even at TOM) or easily shaken like that. It wasn't anything that was going to cause me trouble but it made me look bad.

I do find that when I get home from work on a DD and the kids are being rowdy/yelling for dinner, I more likely to snap at them.

But I have to say that I have always been like that - even before I ever low carbed or JUDDDed

Goal weight met: Aug 19/11

I played in the Longest Game for CF. We broke the Guinness record for longest hockey game.
hockey_gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 06:23 PM   #13
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: LC..My "Don't Have To Think Because It's Simple"!
The only time I have ever been cranky or impatient has been when I was LCing. Since starting JUDDD 7 months ago by moods have improved with each passing day, DD or UD. It makes no difference whether I'm restricting calories on DDs or eating up to my calorie limit on UDs, I am just so much more with this WOE and it's reflected in my attitude.

Being a little hungry never made me unhappy but restricting whole food groups sure did and my attitude showed it!
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 06:30 AM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: synger
Stats: Start: 310 Current: 259
WOE: Calorie and carb counting, IR Diet framework
Start Date: IR/PCOS: Dx pre-diabetic 3/2010
I used to be known for getting grumpy and irritated when I was hungry. That's one reason why I waffled a lot on JUDDD before trying it. I don't want my family to suffer because of MY diet!

But I found that JUDDD hunger doesn't affect me the same way. I don't get grumpy. I do occasionally feel myself flaring with impatience, but it's much more smooth than it used to be, and I can easily identify and conquer it. I don't "snap" as much.

Early on in JUDDD, there were a few DD evenings when all I wanted to do was to crawl into bed and sleep. Once I ate my dinner, I felt SO much better. But now I seldom have days like that. Most DDs are just normal-feeling days.
Old 03-07-2012, 10:57 AM   #15
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Carmiel
Stats: 203/163.4/155
Start Date: 2/12/2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotsomeold View Post
Carmiel, I only tried eating sweets three times in the first six weeks of JUDDD. The first two times I 'felt' an echo of a blood sugar rise/fall, and was hungry for about 24 hours. The third time, chocolate was just a delicious treat I really enjoyed but stopped eating as planned. Some food reactions take a LOT of sirtuin enzymes to suppress.
I think that must be it because today is a DD and I feel fine, I made sure to stay away from sugar yesterday and so far it's just after lunch time and I am not starving like I was on Monday - it is good to know this. I don't need sugar anyhow - what was I thinking???
Carmiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 03:13 PM   #16
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Speck333
WOE: Semi-Primal
At first, I was grouchy and had a hair-trigger temper on down days, simply because I was hungry and that made me irritable. But after the first couple months, that settled down and I feel pretty normal on down days now. I can see how someone unaccustomed to fasting, as I would assume the parole board folks are, would have their mood and decision making impacted by being overly hungry.
Speck333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 03:55 PM   #17

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speck333 View Post
I can see how someone unaccustomed to fasting, as I would assume the parole board folks are, would have their mood and decision making impacted by being overly hungry.
actually, this is just normal people at the end of the period between their normal meals.

I just thought it might apply more to those of us who restrict what we eat more.

thanks for the thoughts, all
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote