Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2012, 07:22 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: KathyL
Stats: 205/118-122/125 5'4" Age 53
WOE: low glycemic index in 2011 JUDDD in 2012
Start Date: January 2011
Water Retention & Sugar

Does anyone else have this problem? Whenever I eat sugar I immediately begin to retain water. Meaning every drop I drink. I stop needing to use the bathroom.

Sunday was an UD. I let myself indulge in the goodies at church then went home and had some flavored coffee, 3 big cups worth. LOL Okay, I went a overboard and then we had dessert after dinner.

Monday I fasted for my DD. (It was easy but I was freezing all day long.) And I still wasn't peeing much. This a.m. I am feeling super bloated (way more than yesterday) and the scale showed it. Sunday a.m. I was at 126. I didn't weigh Monday. This a.m. I am at 130.6 and that's a day after fasting. *sigh*

Now I'm wrestling with just not eating again today. I know I shouldn't but it's what I want to do. :/ I just need to give up sugar completely. Or figure how just how much or what kind I can handle, if any. Does anyone else struggle with this?
KathyL is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-06-2012, 07:34 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: DD80
Stats: 188/165.0/145 5'10"
WOE: Organic GrassFed Gluten-Free 5/13 Dairy Free 2/14
Start Date: 1/10/12 Medi, 2/9/12 First UD, 1/1/13 New Plan
I can't pinpoint why I bloat - I'll have a day where I don't retain water and eat the same things another day and retain it all. I've tried this many times. I've added lemon to my water or a small amount of salt, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. I have DDs where all I've had is eggs, bacon, and protein shakes (low fat/sugar), and my feet/ankles are so swollen at the end of the day that I wonder if I'm going to float away!

I usually just blame it on hormones...is it that time of the month? (Or, are you ovulating? Everything makes us gals bloat!)

My recommendation is just to experiment with salt, water intake, sugar intake, etc. How much water do you drink? That factors in as well. Have you gone to the bathroom? That could be another reason that you are retaining.

I also think that fasting can make your body hold onto water, but that's just my opinion. If you fast, you need to drink tons of water because you aren't getting any water or salt from your food, which your body expects to have. (which is why I think that your body holds on to the water it does get.)

Last edited by DD80; 03-06-2012 at 07:37 AM..
DD80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 07:44 AM   #3
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
May I ask you about your blood pressure? Do you know what it is? Do you have it checked reasonably often?
SoHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 07:59 AM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
I would not fast two days in a row. Give your body the energy to begin cleaning things up! I suggest you eat to today's calories but avoid sweets/refined carbs/extra salt.

Yesterday morning I woke up all puffed up and up three pounds from too much salt & carbs over the weekend. Yesterday was a very clean & careful UD. The puffiness went down over the course of the day (yes, I did spend a lot of time in the bathroom paying for the weekend). And today I woke up below last Friday's new all time low.

Oh, and what Pat said - check your BP!
STILL below goal 2/15/14

I did not "lose" weight. I evicted it. It is gone and it ain't coming back!

JUDDD cares about calories. JUDDD does not care what you eat. Your body probably does.

Last edited by gotsomeold; 03-06-2012 at 08:03 AM..
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 08:01 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

I have low bp. It's gotten better since I've been on Armor for hypothyroid. It generally runs mid 90's to 110 over 40's to 50's. I used to check it often before getting on the meds because it was really low and it scared me.

You know, the reason I found out I was hypo-t was because of water retention. I had just come of a LC diet and was retaining water at an alarming rate. That was the first time I had encountered this (about 1.5 years ago) and back then it never occurred to me that it was diet related.

Something had obviously gone wrong with my hormones....I was just coming off a 6 week period and was so anemic I nearly needed a transfusion. It was the water retention that made me check my bp which was super low and scared the heck out of me so I went to see a doc (and that was the first time I had been to a doc for anything non-pregnancy related in 25 years!).

Prior to that my bp and body temp have always been slightly lower than normal for as long as I can remember. But this event was the catalyst for everything taking a nose dive.
Old 03-06-2012, 08:10 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

108 over 63, pulse 47. About normal for me.

And now that I think about it.....it might be more related to the coffee. I don't drink coffee regularly. I gave it up because I like a little coffee with my sugar. LOL So when I have it, it really affects me (energy boost) and the affect lasts beyond a day.

Going to go workout.....then eat.
Old 03-06-2012, 08:41 AM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mykidsteacher
Stats: 152/134/125 5'4"
WOE: Primal as of Aug 2011/JUDDD (started 1/13/12)
Start Date: Aug 2011/I've been maintaining since April 2012
Sorry about the retention. It does sound sugar related to me.

Def eat to your UD cals today, and drink a bunch of water. Avoid salt/sugar/refined carbs like pp said. If it doesn't release today, you will at least set the stage for it to during tomorrow's DD.
mykidsteacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 09:15 AM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: DD80
Stats: 188/165.0/145 5'10"
WOE: Organic GrassFed Gluten-Free 5/13 Dairy Free 2/14
Start Date: 1/10/12 Medi, 2/9/12 First UD, 1/1/13 New Plan
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathyL View Post
I have low bp. It's gotten better since I've been on Armor for hypothyroid. It generally runs mid 90's to 110 over 40's to 50's. I used to check it often before getting on the meds because it was really low and it scared me.

You know, the reason I found out I was hypo-t was because of water retention. I had just come of a LC diet and was retaining water at an alarming rate. That was the first time I had encountered this (about 1.5 years ago) and back then it never occurred to me that it was diet related.

Something had obviously gone wrong with my hormones....I was just coming off a 6 week period and was so anemic I nearly needed a transfusion. It was the water retention that made me check my bp which was super low and scared the heck out of me so I went to see a doc (and that was the first time I had been to a doc for anything non-pregnancy related in 25 years!).

Prior to that my bp and body temp have always been slightly lower than normal for as long as I can remember. But this event was the catalyst for everything taking a nose dive.
AHA! You are hypothyroid! I am too. I went to the Dr. because of severe tireness and ridiculous bloating! I would gain 10 lbs in a day. Since getting "regulated" on meds, I still have the bloating issue, but not as bad at all. As I said above, definitely do some testing. Sometimes, I'll have a diet soda and all the water will whoosh right out. Sometimes, not so much. See what works for you.

If you were so anemic, you need water and salt. Your blood volume was too low and you need water for your blood and of course a good balance of salts. I'd bet hormones, anemia, and hypothyroid are all working on your body right now.

Last edited by DD80; 03-06-2012 at 09:17 AM..
DD80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 12:24 PM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: b_lou_who
Stats: 2014 was195/now186.9 5'7" 44
WOE: whole organic low-sugars IF vegan
Start Date: 1997
I had a great bariatric osteopath years ago who taught me that sugar causes exponentially more water retention than sodium. It is pretty drastic what some nasty refined sugar can do to a poor ol' bod.
b_lou_who is offline   Reply With Quote