Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2012, 11:15 AM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Scotty
Stats: 174/160.9/140- 5' 7.5" born in 1946
WOE: Enjoying JUDDD's freedom after years of low carb
Start Date: Every day!!! JUDD start 1/13/12
Is it ok to save UD calories?

I mean to use them, just maybe have my "leftovers", if any, late in the evening, as in, right before bed, so as to have something left in my stomach for the DD?

I read about the best way to do it is to have the DD be 36 hours long...

I stick as closely as I can to my cals-341-averaging, I guess, 380-400-but I do struggle. It is mostly through pure Yankee stubbornnes that I don't go crazy on the DDs...

I don't want to up them-a-skeered, I guess, since I lose so slowly...

TIA

"If you're afraid of butter, add a little cream" Julia Child
Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-05-2012, 11:19 AM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sunday
Stats: 225/145/ ...
WOE: Perfect Health Diet- 16hr Daily Fast
Start Date: JUDDD - 2/01/12 Began at 200, Goal 130
I have started having all of my cals for Breakfast and it is working for me. I don't eat again until the next day breakfast, making my fast exactly 36 hours. I tried to do the opposite, but I struggle.
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 11:24 AM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: DD80
Stats: 188/165.0/145 5'10"
WOE: Organic GrassFed Gluten-Free 5/13 Dairy Free 2/14
Start Date: 1/10/12 Medi, 2/9/12 First UD, 1/1/13 New Plan
I thought that the DD was the fast. So, here's my typical schedule (weekday):

Day 1 - UD dinner at 4 pm (early, I know, but I get home after 8pm and don't like to eat late)
Day 2 - DD - B, L, D (I eat three meals on my DDs, some don't)
Day 3- UD breakfast at 7:30 am.

Technically, my fast was for 39.5 hours.

So, if you did:

Day 1 - UD dinner at 9pm
Day 2 - DD 400 cals
Day 3 - UD breakfast at 9am

That gives your 36 hour "fast."

I hope that answered your question...

Last edited by DD80; 03-05-2012 at 11:26 AM..
DD80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 11:37 AM   #4
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by atkinsgoddess View Post
I mean to use them, just maybe have my "leftovers", if any, late in the evening, as in, right before bed, so as to have something left in my stomach for the DD?

I read about the best way to do it is to have the DD be 36 hours long...

I stick as closely as I can to my cals-341-averaging, I guess, 380-400-but I do struggle. It is mostly through pure Yankee stubbornnes that I don't go crazy on the DDs...

I don't want to up them-a-skeered, I guess, since I lose so slowly...

TIA
Calories can't tell time. So during the course of your UD, you can eat your allotted calories early or late or evenly throughout the day. And following your eating, your body will process those calories, regardless of what activity you are doing, or not doing. Even sleeping. It all evens out.

They used to tell us that if we ate past a certain hour of the evening, it would *turn to fat* or that we would gain weight from that habit. Additional studies have shown that is false, and if you're gaining weight from evening eating, it's because your evening calories are now over and above what your day should have ended at.. not because of the evening hour you ate them.

Many people, including myself, have a natural inner appetite clock that begins to stimulate appetite later in the morning, rather than at *breakfast time*, but it also extends later in the day too. So having something in the evening hours, after supper, is sort of making up for the breakfast that didn't happen.

Arrange your mealtimes and your food intake as works best for you. The only thing you have to adhere to is the number of calories you're taking in. JUDDD doesn't care. And the old wives tale has been disproven by recent studies. So just do as you prefer and enjoy.
Old 03-05-2012, 01:09 PM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
Goddess, since you are not getting appetite suppression and are finding many DDs very hard, I think you have a good idea - see if eating later on UD carries over to DD.

In time, when DDs become easier, you can adjust your eating schedule if you wish to experiment.
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 01:13 PM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks, all. Actually I seldom have "leftovers", but it looks like tonight I might, so I'll give it a try.

I was just worried about having the "fast" be long enough.

Nancy It's funny, I am not all that hungry the morning of an UD, and can last until about 11:30am on a DD on just coffee with ff hnf, but thereafter, I just feel head achey and light headed, and just HUNGRY.

Sunday I love your quote, and I agree!

Last edited by Scotty; 03-05-2012 at 01:15 PM..
Old 03-05-2012, 01:26 PM   #7
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: No Diet = No Stress! Just eating healthy!
I eat some of my calories, DDs and UDs right before bed and it hasn't hurt me and my weight loss/maintenance any.

I have always liked a "snack" before bed and have done this for years. Like Pat says 'calories can't tell time'!
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 02:01 PM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Joedi
Stats: 180/131-135/133 5' 5.5" 40 y/o
WOE: Maintaining on Juddd
Start Date: Made Goal on 23/10/2011 - Stats updated daily
Like Linda...I eat my last calories, both DD & UD last thing at night..often as late as 12 at night.
On an UD I start eating about 1pm, on a DD, about 7pm...so, as you can see, I get the majority of my cals late!
I have always eaten like this...including while losing on Juddd, and now on maintainance...and have lost and maintained just fine!

hugs
Jo
x
Joedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 02:39 PM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Well, as of after dinner I will have about 300 cals left (that is, if I don't have a snack at our rehearsal, and they are usually good.....)

So I am going to try it. Also had DH get some V-8, which I like and only 30 cals. He could only find one low sodium one, though...
Old 03-05-2012, 04:14 PM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: itsmeshelly01
Stats: 260/150/162
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: eating lowcarb since 2005
I always have an evening snack, even if I don't have the calories saved for it. Its not much but I feel better with a little on my tummy before bed. Its usually sf jello with a quarter cup Greek yogurt so its about 35 calories on DDs. UDs the snack is more substantial.
itsmeshelly01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 09:04 AM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: vilanteira
Stats: in maintenance
WOE: juddd/lower carb
Start Date: low carb: 2008, juddd: 10/24/11
Since starting JUDDD, I usually eat my final calories of the day no more than 2-3 hrs before bed, and sometimes even just 30 min or so before bed. I used to always eat an early and big breakfast for most of my life because I believed that myth of eating breakfast within an hour of waking and not eating after dinner. Well, following that clearly never helped me with weight loss at all.

After starting JUDDD, I realized I much prefer eating my first meal later in the day and ending my final calories later at night, and it really helps a lot for my appetite suppression the next day, which is great especially if the next day is a DD when I wait until dinner for my first and only meal.

Quote:
Well, as of after dinner I will have about 300 cals left (that is, if I don't have a snack at our rehearsal, and they are usually good.....)

So I am going to try it. Also had DH get some V-8, which I like and only 30 cals. He could only find one low sodium one, though...
I always have the low sodium V8, because the potassium to sodium ratio is so much better in that than the regular version, but I use it to help with headaches that I get sometimes on DDs from electrolye imbalance. I don't know if that's an issue for you though.

Last edited by vilanteira; 03-06-2012 at 09:06 AM..
vilanteira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 09:56 AM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

vilanteira salt doesn't seem to be a problem with me-I just think things don't need all that salt..

So, the low sodium is better or worse for the headaches? I didn't know it was from electrolytes-just thought it was hunger! Excited to try it.

had the snacks at rehearsal, so just had a bit of leftover salmon with sour cream when I got home-10:15pm.

I am doing pretty well so far today-12:55pm and just had my version of the cabbage thingy-no protein other than the laughing cow-, but during the work week, I usually do better than the weekends-not as much time to think about it, maybe...

Last edited by Scotty; 03-06-2012 at 09:59 AM..
Old 03-06-2012, 10:13 AM   #13
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: sophiethecat
Stats: 170+/135-138/145 5'6 39y pcos/IR/metformin
WOE: WL=LC then JUDDD/IF; Maintenance=IF/75%+ "healthy"
Start Date: LC 6/11; JUDDD 10/11; Maintenance 11/11
AG, I had a little trouble in early DDs with some tiredness, fogginess, maybe some headache, and so I made sure to take potassium (I've been deficient in the past) and that seemed to help. So yes, keeping your electrolytes balanced on DD especially... water, salt, K, etc. So the V8 sounds like a great idea!
sophiethecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 10:26 AM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Funny, I haven't thought about or drunk V-8 in ages, but suddenly had a craving for it. The body is a fascinating thing, isn't it...
Old 03-06-2012, 10:33 AM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: vilanteira
Stats: in maintenance
WOE: juddd/lower carb
Start Date: low carb: 2008, juddd: 10/24/11
Quote:
vilanteira salt doesn't seem to be a problem with me-I just think things don't need all that salt..

So, the low sodium is better or worse for the headaches? I didn't know it was from electrolytes-just thought it was hunger! Excited to try it.
For me the headaches on DDs usually comes from low potassium and electrolytes for some reason rather than just hunger, although I know for others it can come from hunger, low blood pressure or low blood sugar, etc. The low sodium V8 works better for me because it has way more potassium than the regular (almost twice I think). Yeah, I don't need extra salt either since I get plenty in my food and it's easy to add more.
vilanteira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 10:56 AM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: DD80
Stats: 188/165.0/145 5'10"
WOE: Organic GrassFed Gluten-Free 5/13 Dairy Free 2/14
Start Date: 1/10/12 Medi, 2/9/12 First UD, 1/1/13 New Plan
Quote:
Funny, I haven't thought about or drunk V-8 in ages, but suddenly had a craving for it. The body is a fascinating thing, isn't it...
I used to always have V8s. I still have a ton in the cupboard. I will be having some tomorrow! YUM.
DD80 is offline   Reply With Quote